Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of Stages, it seems some stages will have a third form or varietion alongside Omega and Battlefield forms. It seems the when you chose to toggle off harzards, it changes the layout of some stages. For example, it seems that toggling off Great Plateau Tower’s hazard completely removes the tower top and replaces it with a single platform.

Is there any difference between that and an Omega version then?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the poll wrong, I thought it was asking about echo fighters instead of non-echo fighters.

I can see 5 or 6 more non-echo fighters, maybe even a few more.

Edit: Changed my vote.

Edited by auraninja

12 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Second Videos title is misleading. But it has good stuff.

I've only heard Dabuz claim this is in the game but I am very interested in whether dash momentum carries into jumps in this game like in Melee. 

So far the engine seems promising but is clearly unfinished. Characters have their animations for being jab locked but the game will not lock their commands. Similarly, we seen footage of somebody teching a footstool when they shouldn't have. We also think the inability to run past a shielding opponent is a bug since you can still crossup with aerials, dash attacks, and Fsmashes. Fox not being able to side B through shields is very real however and that seems like an intentionally huge nerf to his recovery and ledge options. Bayonetta reportedly has the same thing on her grounded Side B and if she's blocked she can't perform the second kick. I haven't seen footage of that but that's another huge nerf to the move if true.

One thing that concerns us most is the knockback and how quickly characters reach their destination. They're just too far away and it makes combos virtually impossible in scenarios past 50%. Again I hope it's just a matter of the game's knockback mechanics being in its infancy, and Smash 4's E3 demo was similarly poor. I just don't want to have to wait for post release patch updates to give characters decent combos.

Link being able to pick up and throw his arrows is awesome. XD But other characters can probably pick up the arrows too, I bet.

Also, keep in mind that the game releases in December, so they're gonna have time to work out the bugs.

19 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I've only heard Dabuz claim this is in the game but I am very interested in whether dash momentum carries into jumps in this game like in Melee. 

So far the engine seems promising but is clearly unfinished. Characters have their animations for being jab locked but the game will not lock their commands. Similarly, we seen footage of somebody teching a footstool when they shouldn't have. We also think the inability to run past a shielding opponent is a bug since you can still crossup with aerials, dash attacks, and Fsmashes. Fox not being able to side B through shields is very real however and that seems like an intentionally huge nerf to his recovery and ledge options. Bayonetta reportedly has the same thing on her grounded Side B and if she's blocked she can't perform the second kick. I haven't seen footage of that but that's another huge nerf to the move if true.

One thing that concerns us most is the knockback and how quickly characters reach their destination. They're just too far away and it makes combos virtually impossible in scenarios past 50%. Again I hope it's just a matter of the game's knockback mechanics being in its infancy, and Smash 4's E3 demo was similarly poor. I just don't want to have to wait for post release patch updates to give characters decent combos.

Combo's are very existant in this game I keep seeing gif's like this pop up 

o9p0e5j7n8411.gif

Speaking of combos, while it does involve an item, there's this really disgusting combo that we know can be pulled off

Will Jigglypuff finally be good again? She got no buffs throughout Smash 4's lifespan and she's at the bottom of the tier list as a result.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I wouldn't count that since yeah, it uses an item and people generally play with items off for competitive matches.

It's still a combo regardless, it's just one of the hilarious ones.

But i still want Puff to be good again. I'm not even a Puff main and i was upset at how bad she was in Smash 4.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Speaking of combos, while it does involve an item, there's this really disgusting combo that we know can be pulled off

Will Jigglypuff finally be good again? She got no buffs throughout Smash 4's lifespan and she's at the bottom of the tier list as a result.

I think it depends on if her aerials got big again, Smash 4 & Brawl were not kind to her because she's super offensively inclined but couldn't punish the good defensive options in either game, besides other issues. 

The changes to aerial combat and mechanics in general will probably be a boon by themselves, and a noted Kirby player Mikekirby has noted Kirby got more range on his aerials as well as general speed improvements among other things, so maybe Puff might get some of her big Melee hitboxes back.

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Is there any difference between that and an Omega version then?

Sorry for the late reply, but omega stages are essentially FD. Having a platform would kinda defeat the purpose of it.

57 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Combo's are very existant in this game I keep seeing gif's like this pop up 

The M2K thing? Yeah but I mean at mid to high percents. Nothing is ever connecting.

There are things that give me hope. Particularly being able to cancel dash into tilts in Smashes. Some characters who could combo a dash attack from something can combo a dsmash or fsmash instead and I think this will really open up possibilities for horizontal combos and spacing. I see people ask for proper wave dashing now that we have directional air dodges but honestly there's no need for that when you can dash and perform almost any move. Dashing feels like less of a commitment when you don't have a long skid animation. And after years of Smash 4 I'll be happy once I stop seeing a constant neutral of people running up to me and shielding. 

14 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Any evidence that new stages are going to be added? Or are they all original?

We already have a new stage for Splatoon so I assume we'll have at least a few new ones.

41 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Sorry for the late reply, but omega stages are essentially FD. Having a platform would kinda defeat the purpose of it.

Omega now has a battlefield option too.

RE: Stage Builder, it's sorta ironic how Smash 4's Stage Builder giving you freer drawing options made it clunkier and harder to use. Of course, the lack of stage features besides lava and cannons hurt too.

I'd be fine with Brawl's block-by-block setup coming back this time (and it probably will, since there's no Gamepad for drawing), but with a wider variety of tools, aesthetic choices, and being able to make walk-off stages should you so desire. Maybe even let us choose multiple music tracks with variable odds just like a regular stage.

As long as we can make the Box of Doom again I'll be happy. Maybe CD Factories as well. Those were fun.

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Any evidence that new stages are going to be added? Or are they all original?

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

We already have a new stage for Splatoon so I assume we'll have at least a few new ones.

We also have New Donk City from Mario Odyssey and Great Plateau Tower from Zelda BotW.

Edited by Anacybele

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

We also have New Donk City from Mario Odyssey and Great Plateau Tower from Zelda BotW.

Yeah we do have those as well, not sure why I spaced out there.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Omega now has a battlefield option too.

I knew that. I meant that there was a single platform on the Great Plateau Tower stage. Battlefield has 3 platforms, so it can’t be a battlefield version of it.

7 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Source?

Seen in a quick sequence as a Battlefield stage and later in Ridley's trailer; very rocky looking with an alien sky and purple background.

Haven't seen it pointed out anywhere, so I'm potentially mistaken.

3 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

RE: Stage Builder, it's sorta ironic how Smash 4's Stage Builder giving you freer drawing options made it clunkier and harder to use. Of course, the lack of stage features besides lava and cannons hurt too.

I'd be fine with Brawl's block-by-block setup coming back this time (and it probably will, since there's no Gamepad for drawing), but with a wider variety of tools, aesthetic choices, and being able to make walk-off stages should you so desire. Maybe even let us choose multiple music tracks with variable odds just like a regular stage.

As long as we can make the Box of Doom again I'll be happy. Maybe CD Factories as well. Those were fun.

don't count the switch out yet, it has a touch screen, we can still have the best of both worlds.

or the worst of both worlds.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Seen in a quick sequence as a Battlefield stage and later in Ridley's trailer; very rocky looking with an alien sky and purple background.

Haven't seen it pointed out anywhere, so I'm potentially mistaken.

Ah, you mean this one. (timestamped)

Wow that lightning flash is very Super Metroid. SR388 had a greenish yellow sky in the beginning and end of Samus Returns. Ah, I think the Zero Mission depiction of Planet Zebes had a lightly purple sky though. Super Metroid's version of Zebes was always stormy and you couldn't see the sky color. So maybe they combined the two as their new depiction of the planet. Can't wait to see the non omega form of that stage.

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

snip

pretty sure that's an omega form of the find mii stage from sm4sh 3ds.

edit: never mind, after checking, the palette seems about the same (accounting for hd conversion and extra effects) and they could have removed the walls, but I can not be certian.

Edited by thecrimsonflash