Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

Ernaahgerd. So exvited fot this!!!! I hope it's not a port, but we'll see.

It did said Original Game 2018 with just said Nintendo and HAL Labatory. There is no sign that saids 2014 on the trailer. It's definitely not a Port and most likely an actual new game/sequel as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not FE16 news/10. Absolutely disgusting.
I suppose I wouldn't mind a Sm4sh port as I never owned a WiiU (although I played the game a lot at a friend's house). I wonder if it would have all the DLC included like an ultimate edition. A brand new game would be even more welcome, however. Ridley, come home.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Guess this confirm that Sakurai is working on the game again.

I remember when he said Smash 4 would be his last Smash game.

Clearly he is the Hayao Miyazaki of Smash.

4 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

I really wish they'd just give Shiek's kit to Impa and call it a day. She's become such a null factor to the Zelda franchise, whilst Impa has been a consistent character across a majoriy of Zelda games.

They'd never remove Shiek('s kit) due to how popular she is competitively, but Hyrule Warriors done Impa justice.

I think swapping Impa for Sheik would be very appropriate. They hit a similar appeal and Sheik has more appearances in Smash than her own franchise. 

I'd honestly be surprised if they make the 2018 release date they promised. They didn't even show any gameplay in the trailer.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

I think swapping Impa for Sheik would be very appropriate. They hit a similar appeal and Sheik has more appearances in Smash than her own franchise. 

Agree completely here. Sheik is a minor costume swap for Zelda in a game that's twenty years old. Impa's an actual character since the start of the series with just as much justification to do any of the stuff Sheik does.

Now that I've slept on it to ease the disappointment of no FE16 news, and watched Etika and GameXplain...

I'm ecstatic, and it's taking me back to 2014 where everything was easier. That year was probably the best year of my life, and Smash 4 played a big part in that.

So I was thinking, which characters will have their moveset changed in this version?

For example, this Link will be the BotW version, so will he still have the Clawshot and the Gale Boomerang? Would Cappy be added into Mario’s moveset in someway?

Here's a more accurate translation of what Sakurai had to say:

While we haven't gotten to the point where we can announce the game's title, I've been working on the title in silence day after day. Please look forward to new information and when the title goes on sale!!

So now we play the waiting game.

41 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

So I was thinking, which characters will have their moveset changed in this version?

For example, this Link will be the BotW version, so will he still have the Clawshot and the Gale Boomerang? Would Cappy be added into Mario’s moveset in someway?

I want Samus to have an updated moveset, her current one is outdated and Samus Returns gives her plenty to work with.

...Now I wonder if Zelda will use her BotW version too. Will Ganondorf get a new design that fits into BotW's theme, or will they still use his TP version?

Hopefully Marth, Roy, and Cloud will speak English this time...

Edited by Lightchao42

Speaking of Sakurai, if I’m being honest, I’m not sure if want Sakurai working on this Smash. Not because I don’t like him, but rather, I’m worried. The guy is know for working himself too hard. He almost lost hand. Part of me really wish the guy could get a break. I’m honestly worried about him. Hell, he might end despising Smash, because of all of this. If he doesn’t already.

That quote “I’ve been working on the title in silence day after day” already has me worried. The guy is too young and talented for this kind of stress.

I just want Ivysaur and Squirtle back (ok maybe not just that) I don’t see why Charizard gotta be so darn special. They already had a move set to work with so why were they cut out at all?

I hope clones are delegated to being costumes if they don’t end up getting altered to being unique or at least half-clones. And no, someone like Lucina who’s “unique” thing is not having damage concentrated on the tip does not count.

Mario with Cappy incorporated into his move set is simply a must. Also while on the topic of Mario companions, there’s gotta be a better way to use fludd than just squirting water at enemies. Idk I’ve never liked that move much.

Botw Link better be something completely different from previous Links. Don’t really have any ideas of how the runes could be used but it’s sure to be interesting.

As far as new characters go, Springman with his alts being the other fighters from Arms. I’ve been wanting Bomberman since forever but I don’t have my hopes high, Impa is overdue, and Sidon because best fish, Isaac for some Golden Sun representation and psynergy makes for a potentially cool move set, a character from the Mario rpgs would be neat (Vivian, Geno, or Fawful), if Waluigi can’t have his own game at least let him Smash.

36 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Here's a more accurate translation of what Sakurai had to say:

So now we play the waiting game.

I want Samus to have an updated moveset, her current one is outdated and Samus Returns gives her plenty to work with.

...Now I wonder if Zelda will use her BotW version too. Will Ganondorf get a new design that fits into BotW's theme, or will they still use his TP version?

Hopefully Marth, Roy, and Cloud will speak English this time...

For the love of God, please allow Seamus to charge her charge shot in the air. She can do it in her own game and every other character in smash can start charging in the air. There's no excuse for it!

23 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of Sakurai, if I’m being honest, I’m not sure if want Sakurai working on this Smash. Not because I don’t like him, but rather, I’m worried. The guy is know for working himself too hard. He almost lost hand. Part of me really wish the guy could get a break. I’m honestly worried about him. Hell, he might end despising Smash, because of all of this. If he doesn’t already.

That quote “I’ve been working on the title in silence day after day” already has me worried. The guy is too young and talented for this kind of stress.

Eh, Sakurai is almost fifty. I share your sentiment, but he's not exactly young. He looks super young because Japanese people, but he still created Kirby over 25 years ago. He's been around a while.

Edited by Jotari

23 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I was under the impression that he already dislikes working on Smash. After all, he wanted Melee to be his last one and then when Brawl happened he said that would be his last one.

Sakurai should honestly pass the baton to someone else. No point continuing working on something that causes him so much stress.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

For the love of God, please allow Seamus to charge her charge shot in the air. She can do it in her own game and every other character in smash can start charging in the air. There's no excuse for it!

Eh, Sakurai is almost fifty. I share your sentiment, but he's not exactly young. He looks super young because Japanese people, but he still created Kirby over 25 years ago. He's been around a while.

I know that he’s almost 50. But to me that’s pretty young to work yourself to death. Which is a real possibility with him.

Edited by Water Mage

31 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I know that he’s almost 50. But to me that’s pretty young to work yourself to death. Which is a real possibility with him.

Well yeah, if he died we'd all say he's too young to die, as was said for Iwata. But if Miyamoto worked himself to death it would be equally as tragic. The death of any great talent is a shame. But Sakurai as had a great career. If he were to retire early tomorrow he'd leave behind a great catalogue of games.

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Yeah, I wish they'd switch out Sheik for Impa too. :/ Sheik is not relevant anymore while Impa still is. Impa is even playable in HW.

Another Zelda newcomer I'd like is Vaati so we get some Four Sword representation in there! He ought to be in his original sorcerer form from TMC though, not the eyeball form. The eyeball form can be his Final Smash.

Edited by Anacybele

If we're talking new Zelda characters, i'd prefer Skull Kid but i really wouldn't mind who we get, as long as it's not another Link (by that, i mean in the vein of Toon/Young Link). Zelda didn't get any new reps in Smash 4, which was a bit sad.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I wish they'd switch out Sheik for Impa too. :/ Sheik is not relevant anymore while Impa still is. Impa is even playable in HW.

Another Zelda newcomer I'd like is Vaati so we get some Four Sword representation in there! He ought to be in his original sorcerer form from TMC though, not the eyeball form. The eyeball form can be his Final Smash.

Well, Sheik is playable in Hyrule Warriors too, so that's not really a point in Impa's favour. And Vaati wasn't playable I'm Hyrule Warriors, his last appearance was almost fifteen years ago. So I reckon his chances are slim at best. Monish Cap, and Four Swords as a whole, gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Zelda memoriam.

Edited by Jotari

Just now, Jotari said:

Well, Sheik is playable in Hyrule Warriors too, so that's not really a point in Impa's favour. And Vaati wasn't playable I'm Hyrule Warriors, his last appearance was almost fifteen years ago. So I reckon his chances are slim at best.

Sheik shouldn't have been in HW either though imo. And Impa is playable before he is. As for your second line, tell that to Duck Hunt Dog. He had one lone game on the NES and that was it.

Vaati's appeared in three Zelda games as a major villain. I think he's got reasonable chances.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

As for your second line, tell that to Duck Hunt Dog. He had one lone game on the NES and that was it.

Well you see, Duck Hunt is a retro character. Relevancy doesn't apply to him.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Well you see, Duck Hunt is a retro character. Relevancy doesn't apply to him.

How so? I think relevancy should apply to everyone.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

How so? I think relevancy should apply to everyone.

Smash has never cared too much about relevancy but it's still important. Duck Hunt, however, is a retro character. A character that had a one-time game on the NES. The same applies to Ice Climbers, R.O.B, and Game&Watch (except that guy had his own console).

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Smash has never cared too much about relevancy but it's still important. Duck Hunt, however, is a retro character. A character that had a one-time game on the NES. The same applies to Ice Climbers, R.O.B, and Game&Watch (except that guy had his own console).

Yeah, so? I don't get your point at all.

And you just said yourself, Smash doesn't care that much about relevancy. So Vaati has reasonable chances being the second most occurring Zelda villain. And Zelda is in need of a newcomer.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sheik shouldn't have been in HW either though imo. And Impa is playable before he is. As for your second line, tell that to Duck Hunt Dog. He had one lone game on the NES and that was it.

Vaati's appeared in three Zelda games as a major villain. I think he's got reasonable chances.

I think the fact that they didn't add Vaati in in either Brawl or Smash 4 (or Hyrule Warriors)  is a pretty big indicator his chances are close to non existent. It's not like Zelda is a minor series either. If they wanted to then they absolutely could have added him in the past two games. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Vaati, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything but an assist trophy if he's lucky.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think the fact that they didn't add Vaati in in either Brawl or Smash 4 (or Hyrule Warriors)  is a pretty big indicator his chances are close to non existent. It's not like Zelda is a minor series either. If they wanted to then they absolutely could have added him in the past two games. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Vaati, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything but an assist trophy if he's lucky.

I disagree. Vaati is still the most recurring Zelda villain after Ganondorf/Ganon. You can't say his chances are zero. And I'm getting stick of people telling me this over and over when I clearly disagree. I'm not saying his chances are high, just reasonable.

Also, people keep pining for characters like Skull Kid who I think has less of a chance since his only real role was in MM, an even older game. So why can't I have a little hope for Vaati?

So can we just move on?

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree. Vaati is still the most recurring Zelda villain after Ganondorf/Ganon. You can't say his chances are zero. And I'm getting stick of people telling me this over and over when I clearly disagree. I'm not saying his chances are high, just reasonable.

Also, people keep pining for characters like Skull Kid who I think has less of a chance since his only real role was in MM, an even older game. So why can't I have a little hope for Vaati?

So can we just move on?

Hey, you're free to hope for Vaati all you want. I'm not stopping you. If he gets in, I'll be there celebrating right along with you. Zelda deserves to get a sixth character of some sort. The roster there has been static ever since Melee. And for the record, I find Skull Kid less likely than Vaati (my personal pick for the next Zelda rep would be Pig Beast Ganon).

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Hey, you're free to hope for Vaati all you want. I'm not stopping you. If he gets in, I'll be there celebrating right along with you. Zelda deserves to get a sixth character of some sort. The roster there has been static ever since Melee. And for the record, I find Skull Kid less likely than Vaati (my personal pick for the next Zelda rep would be Pig Beast Ganon).

Okay, that's fair enough. Though pig Ganon is already in the game as Ganondorf's FS.

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, that's fair enough. Though pig Ganon is already in the game as Ganondorf's FS.

A very specific version of Ganon is in the game as Ganondorf's final smash, that is to say the quadrapedal Twilight Princess incarnation. I mean more of the old school trident wielding pig Ganon.

Regarding other potential Zelda reps, I could see them taking something from Hyrule Warriors. Like Lana, Cia or Linkle. Breath of the Wild was also super popular so I could see them bringing in one of the Champions from that, Revali would be the most likely for moveset reasons.