Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

@Bk1234 I agree; opening with the ARMS fighter may not have been the best choice. Funny enough, it was a similar story for the first DLC pack for me: the Joker announcement fell completely flat for me because I had no idea who Joker was; I had never even heard of the Persona series. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can promote ATs to Fighter status, that's going to give me new hope for Krystal. And if they promote existing Spirits, that's going to give me more hope for Shantae as well. I was this close to giving up on both girls making it in. Please Nintendo, if you're going to renew my hope like this...reward it. Please. Even one of the two would make me happy. Both will make me scream like a giddy teenager. But even one of them would make my hopes feel validated.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I thought ARMS had sold pretty well? I mean, it wasn't a huge hit like Splatoon or anything, but I thought it sold well to some degree. Disappoints me that it isn't as popular as Splatoon though, as I think it's a much better game.

Well, ARMS certainly has the room for more spirits, so this isn't too much of a shock. Only thing is that the Spirits in the game are Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle. Assuming they still stay away from Spirits...are they possibly making Max Brass the character? I've yet to play ARMS, but I'm aware he's essentially the final boss in the game's arcade mode and the Commissioner of the League. All the other characters are either just regular playables or antagonists.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Well, ARMS certainly has the room for more spirits, so this isn't too much of a shock. Only thing is that the Spirits in the game are Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle. Assuming they still stay away from Spirits...are they possibly making Max Brass the character? I've yet to play ARMS, but I'm aware he's essentially the final boss in the game's arcade mode and the Commissioner of the League. All the other characters are either just regular playables or antagonists.

Considering every playable ARMS character was shown in the teaser as a possibility, I don't think any of them are completely off the table. Not even Spring Man even though I think he's the least likely because of his AT status.

I'm just predicting Ribbon Girl because she's the poster girl for the game and the roster could use more females. My hope is also that it's her because she's cute. XD

I'm hoping that volleyball mode is represented in the moveset, or in the stage. It's a ton of fun to play in ARMS and having that in Smash bros could be a little bit like Lethal League.

Man, I'm pumped for an ARMS character, they really should have given the announcement more fanfaire, but I imagine their ultimate goal was to drum up interest in the game with another free trial. Surely that free trial could have been turned on closer to the June release of the character in Smash, as could that online Tournament starting next week. Maybe they're really anticipating a resurgence for the game. Lots of new Switch owners in the last two and a half years that may have forgotten ARMS is a Switch exclusive that they could now play.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

Man, I'm pumped for an ARMS character, they really should have given the announcement more fanfaire, but I imagine their ultimate goal was to drum up interest in the game with another free trial. Surely that free trial could have been turned on closer to the June release of the character in Smash, as could that online Tournament starting next week. Maybe they're really anticipating a resurgence for the game. Lots of new Switch owners in the last two and a half years that may have forgotten ARMS is a Switch exclusive that they could now play.

Yeah, I hope this gets more people interested in ARMS because it's totally an underrated game imo.

My guess for the ARMS character for the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 has to be Ribbon Girl, here's my thoughts:

• Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy
  • Ribbon Girl is very popular in ARMS
  • I totally think they have to add a default female Fighter for the Fighter Pass content
  • Spirits from the launch of the game doesn't deconfirmed since Lucas and Mewtwo had ingame trophies before they were revealed as DLC for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U

Speaking of which, I definitely think this is going to be the first time that an Assist Trophy that never has an icon, Fighter reps joined in, nor any stage representation gets his connected series fighter joining in the fight from the Fighter Pass content for Ultimate. I'm kinda wondered if they can add the ARMS icon for Spring Man and the existing ingame sprites that didn't have an icon before?

I don't think any of the base game content will affect this fighter pass, so I don't think Spring Man is out because of his assist trophy or Mii costume (or Ribbon Girl because of the latter), nor anyone out due to Spirits. However, I don't think it will be Spring Man: why bother with this tease if they're just going to go the boring route with the game's poster character? I also think that logic might knock Ribbon Girl out, though she was promoted less than Spring Man and her moveset would translate to Smash very well.

I'm going to predict Min Min.

After thinking about it for a bit, them being coy about who the ARMS character is makes me think we could get a "multiple characters in one" deal like with Hero. If true, then I think we would get Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, since they can all fit the same body type. Springtron could take Spring Man's place as the Assist Trophy if they don't want to just remove it (whether Spring Man is present or otherwise). Cuphead and Mugman's spirit battles change if the Cuphead Mii costume was downloaded, so I think they're willing change non-DLC content if DLC was downloaded.

If we only get one character that isn't Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, then I think we'll get Min Min, though personally I would prefer Helix.

I'm happy for all the ARMS fans, I know they've been wanting something. And ARMS probably should have had a playable character at Ultimate's launch anyway. Still, I'm not super interested; I'm still waiting for Crash Bandicoot. And if this is the start of Assist Trophies being promoted, gimme Lyn!

11 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I'm sticking to my assertion that assist trophies won't be upgraded into full-fledged fighters so I think we can all forget about Spring Man this time around. Though most of the popular characters from ARMS are also already in the game as spirits so whoever it is that they pick is really anyone's guess. I know a lot of people give me grief when I say that spirit characters can't become fighters, but I'm choosing to remain consistent on that topic until proven otherwise.

That's exactly where my mind went. If they make it a fighter who's already a Spirit then it'll open up the door to a lot more potential characters. Initially I was very skeptical of the idea that a fighter couldn't be someone who is in the game as a spirit already, but that they managed to not buck that trend in the entirety of the first fighter's pass left me thinking it was something to take note of. Hope they buck the trend, though I could maybe see them releasing a new DLC fighter for ARMS simultaneously with Smash. It seems a bit weird that they aren't telling us who it is now, only the series. Though I suppose they want to do a trailer like for all the other characters and that's not ready yet. Then why tell us at all though? Do they think we're starved for information?

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't really play the "X deconfirms that character" game, but isn't mii outfits higher on the "hierarchy" than spirits? Like inbetween spirit and assist trophy.

I wouldn't say so given there are Mii costumes for characters that are definitely in the game already, like Link and Samus.

Edited by Jotari

The first fighter pass was planned alongside the base game, which is why no one was "upgraded" from there; no reason to make a Piranha Plant spirit when they know they're adding it as a playable fighter. Fighter Pass 2 was not planned with the base game, and I find it highly doubtful they'd restrict themselves based on anything like spirits or assist trophies in the base game, though any spirit events with new spirits that have happened in the last year or so such as Astral Chain and Resident Evil very likely won't get playable fighters, seeing as Three Houses didn't get spirits until Byleth was added.

I know since yesterday what Arms is.

When I read it, I was thinking on the term and could not connect to Smash.

I am fairly sure, I'm not the the only one who never heard of it.

Oh well, I will learn it to know once it's added to Smash.

Not that I'm too interested in it since the design looks rather bland.

Not even a couple hours after the Direct, and I heard nothing but Bowser Jr. alts this, Hero alts that, and it drove me crazy.

Without sounding mean, I feel like people hoping for another Bowser Jr./Hero situation have either:

a. Never played the game

b. Don’t really care for each character’s special attributes

Do you have something against posting an English language twitter account or something?

Anyway, predictions for the Spirit Battles:

• Orville and Wilbur - Pit and Dark Pit
  • Flick - Red Greninja
  • Daisy Mae - Peach & F!Villager
  • Chip Jr. - No idea, but only items are Pokeballs, that all contain Goldeen
Edited by NinjaMonkey

So, anyone else think the idea of lumping multiple characters together in one is a stupid one? All of the characters play differently, plus have WAY too different body types to justify this.