Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

@Perkilator As someone who has only played ARMS with my friends, I would say that the idea doesn't sound great. I mean, from what I've seen the character have different abilities that would make it impossible to do this. (Though no shade on those who think this idea is reasonable, anything can happen, it's Sakurai.)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

So, anyone else think the idea of lumping multiple characters together in one is a stupid one? All of the characters play differently, plus have WAY too different body types to justify this.

I think it depends on the characters, honestly. Mario and Dr. Mario? Sure! Just depends on the case.

18 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I think it depends on the characters, honestly. Mario and Dr. Mario? Sure! Just depends on the case.

I meant ARMS characters specifically, but even Dr. Mario could get away with at least not having F.L.U.D.D. Others, like Dark Samus, Dark Pit, and Lucina, could be made somewhat different by using some of their custom specials from Smash 4.

I think the idea could ultimately work if not for the body types, but yeah, you'd still be doing those characters a huge disservice if you ignored the unique ways each of them moves. It also creates its own complications, for instance Twintelle's animations would be incompatible with similar human characters when her weapons spring from her hair and you also have her literal arms exist and have to be doing something in every single animation. The workload would just be way higher than Koopalings and Hero. Character specific special abilities also would go un-utilized. Then again, not all of those unique skills are sensational. Ribbon Girl's triple jump ability is a big deal in the context of ARMS, but in Smash Bros multiple aerial jumps is something many other fighters are capable of.

I don't envy them making the choice of which character to include. They're all stellar character designs, and I think sticking to the details of how fights play out in their game can result in an extremely different feeling character. In some ways I'm worried it'll be just another "look how good their attack range is!" sort of inclusion with no unique gimmicks or properties. Questions like whether you really get to have two attacks active at once or what happens if your punch collides with an opponent's hitbox are extremely interesting to me. As well as whether the character should have three types of arms to swap between manually or if each individual move pulls out a specific weapon so that as many as possible get represented. For example, D-Smash could be slamming two of the Hammer type of weapon on either side of them at close range rather than firing the hammer like you do in the actual game.

I feel like if DeMille was a fighter in Ultimate, he’d be plagued with “literally who” comments. And that wouldn’t be as surprising (at least not to me) as SNK, because DeMille is from a game that never even got localized.

I think the fact this next pass started with ARMS of all things makes me curious of which direction this pass will take, if any clear one. We know because of this that both 1st AND 3rd parties are on the table.

12 hours ago, Perkilator said:

We know because of this that both 1st AND 3rd parties are on the table.

We knew that due to Byleth being in the first pass.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

We knew that due to Byleth being in the first pass.

To play the devil’s advocate, the first pass was planned alongside the base game, whereas the second pass wasn’t planned at all. And even when we knew there would be more DLC, we didn’t know until the ARMS character announcement if first parties were on the table.

I just entered the tournament and last in Round 1 on Bridge of Eldin (I’m a casual player), and so I decided to watch the replays.

And everything before the Semifinals took place on Bridge of Eldin.

• 2 weeks later...

Now there’s a Spirit Event based on Trials of Mana.

Do I dare continue to hope for Sora It’s nice that Square’s opening up a little. If there’s another Square Enix Spirit Event, I wouldn’t mind one based on TWEWY.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, Perkilator said:

Now there’s a Spirit Event based on Trials of Mana.

Do I dare continue to hope for Sora It’s nice that Square’s opening up a little. If there’s another Square Enix Spirit Event, I wouldn’t mind one based on TWEWY.

Don't be disappointed or shocked if the Square Enix rep is from Bravely Default 2... (Which I would love by the way). Also, I want Sora in Smash too, but it just doesn't seem likely right now, especially after the lackluster ARMS character announcement. 

Edited by Bk1234

48 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Okay, place your bets, everyone! What’s it gonna be for when the ARMS character is revealed? Will it be:

A. Just ARMS and nothing else

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party

ARMS + 3rd party- My guess is that they planned to reveal this ARMS character (who that is, beats me!) at E3 alongside a popular character. Most of the popular characters are indeed third party characters. Plus, E3 celebrates many different gaming companies. If I had to pick maybe Steve? If spirits don't deconfirm then Geno. However, they could also take a Hero route, and promote a third party game coming exclusively for the Switch. For this I would say Seth, or one of the other party members from Bravely Default 2, or Travis Touchdown.

Edited by Bk1234

To this I day I just do not see the potential in Sora. Personally, he isnt my favorite KH character, obviously, but, what would be the route to take with him either way? 

29 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

To this I day I just do not see the potential in Sora. Personally, he isnt my favorite KH character, obviously, but, what would be the route to take with him either way? 

I probably can’t hammer my argument into everyone, but there’s more potential than meets the eye, even disregarding Disney. A moveset for him using only the original content is extremely easy, as I did just that: https://www.deviantart.com/herotrainer7/art/Smash-Moveset-Sora-updated-820278165

8 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I probably can’t hammer my argument into everyone, but there’s more potential than meets the eye, even disregarding Disney. A moveset for him using only the original content is extremely easy, as I did just that: https://www.deviantart.com/herotrainer7/art/Smash-Moveset-Sora-updated-820278165

In terms of likelihood of coming to the game his chances are unfortunately slim. I feel that Nintendo is going to take a more promotional route with only one or two big characters. To me, the ARMS character announcement gave me that vibe. I think if we do see a third party it will be someone like Seth or Travis Touchdown, characters from third party games that are coming exclusively to the Switch. 

8 hours ago, Perkilator said:

So, you would use a moveset based off of mostly KH2/3 Sora? Don't get me wrong, I would be fine with the choice to add Sora, I just think that KH has better options, is all.