Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Can only imagine all the folks thinking this is a hint at Crono that this will cause.

Took me a moment to assemble what this was supposed to be- the dragon tank boss at the end of the prison escape. With Cloud presently spawning above being a way I guess of mimicking leaping into the air ready to perform some skill?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Crono gets in over Frog, I'm flipping a freaking table. I dunno how you can miss how much cooler that character design is. Frog and Gooey must join Yoshi and Greninja as fighters that use their tongue to attack.

For real though I think Sakurai is just memeing. 

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Took me a moment to assemble what this was supposed to be- the dragon tank boss at the end of the prison escape. With Cloud presently spawning above being a way I guess of mimicking leaping into the air ready to perform some skill?

To imitate Crono's finishing move on the Dragon Tank? Where he leaps into the air and stabs the tank head with his sword.

Perhaps, although I think he could've done it with the character actually falling, sword pointed down. Or maybe he wasn't actually trying to replicate that scene in specific.

Not everything Sakurai posts should be taken as a hint. Remember people looking too much into the Rathalos image and believing a Golden Sun rep is in?

Sakurai, once again flaunting that his gaming tastes are way cooler and more varied than any nerd that cares this much about smash bros. Also WOW that's a lot of gaming to mention in what I assume might be a week or two. When Sakurai gets days off, he goes HARD. I haven't even gotten around to Blaster Master Zero 2 and it's been on my switch for a month.

3 hours ago, BZL8 said:

Not everything Sakurai posts should be taken as a hint. Remember people looking too much into the Rathalos image and believing a Golden Sun rep is in?

Yeah, I thought the Square would not allow it if we have the FF representation we have...

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Sakurai, once again flaunting that his gaming tastes are way cooler and more varied than any nerd that cares this much about smash bros. Also WOW that's a lot of gaming to mention in what I assume might be a week or two. When Sakurai gets days off, he goes HARD. I haven't even gotten around to Blaster Master Zero 2 and it's been on my switch for a month.

I'm surprised he has the time to play any games at all considering how much he works. With that rate of play I can only assume he played every game in existence during the break he had between the release of Kid Icarus Uprising and the start of development of Smash 4.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm surprised he has the time to play any games at all considering how much he works. With that rate of play I can only assume he played every game in existence during the break he had between the release of Kid Icarus Uprising and the start of development of Smash 4.

I'm assuming the reason Bayonetta got in is b/c Sakurai is a Lumen Sage then. Lightspeed gives you all the time in the world, relative to everything else.

Makes me curious if he uses that time to play Touhou.

Then my pipe dream can actually be true.

But I doubt it. You would really need a cast-iron buttocks just to survive long enough to beat any game in one go on Normal, or even easy (I don’t know if later games block you from story when you play on easy mode like with EoSD, but still).

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Makes me curious if he uses that time to play Touhou.

Then my pipe dream can actually be true.

But I doubt it. You would really need a cast-iron buttocks just to survive long enough to beat any game in one go on Normal, or even easy (I don’t know if later games block you from story when you play on easy mode like with EoSD, but still).

In 12 you have to 1cc on normal or above to unlock extra stage. 

In 15 the final boss dialogue is changed, if you have not lost one single life yet. 

Also what has this post exactly to do with Smash

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm assuming the reason Bayonetta got in is b/c Sakurai is a Lumen Sage then. Lightspeed gives you all the time in the world, relative to everything else.

If that's the case, why isn't Father Balder in Smash T.T He'd make a great character.

2 hours ago, Rosalina said:

In 12 you have to 1cc on normal or above to unlock extra stage. 

In 15 the final boss dialogue is changed, if you have not lost one single life yet. 

Also what has this post exactly to do with Smash

Touhou games are on Switch.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/touhou-kobuto-v-burst-battle-switch/

...Still a pipe dream, but possible, if Joker having been on a Nintendo console (Persona Q2, which is Japan-only until this summer) for maybe a week or two before he was announced is any evidence.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Boss. He'd make a great boss.

What are you snorting? Balder is a human sized fighter with powers similar to Bayonetta. Any of the other actual bosses (except Jeanne who is prime Echo material) would make a way better boss in Smash Bros.

11 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Touhou games are on Switch.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/touhou-kobuto-v-burst-battle-switch/

...Still a pipe dream, but possible, if Joker having been on a Nintendo console (Persona Q2, which is Japan-only until this summer) for maybe a week or two before he was announced is any evidence.

Ah

I have mentioned game which is really bad. It was on sale for 10 €, so I did not have much of a loss there. 

I also would love to see Reimu, and under current conditions I would definitely not say that she has zero chance. Honestly it is less the character than the soundtrack I would be interested in. 

1 minute ago, Rosalina said:

I also would love to see Reimu, and under current conditions I would definitely not say that she has zero chance. Honestly it is less the character than the soundtrack I would be interested in. 

I kind of want whatever Touhou Stage they do (Hakurei Shrine seems best) to be a legal stage by default so that we can have Touhou music in tournaments.

Btw, is default Mementos legal material? We can have Persona music in Tournaments, too, if that’s the case.

What the F- Sakurai with the insider information. Knowing the Persona 5 re-release would have a grappling hook feature like he knew about Luigi's new poltergeist design. How did I not SEES it?

22 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Btw, is default Mementos legal material? We can have Persona music in Tournaments, too, if that’s the case.

TOs are testing it out. The first Major tournament it will appear in is Thunder Smash but nobody can say for sure if it will catch on. People like it since it has more variety than the average tri-plat stage in the counterpick selection by having non-symetrical platform heights. But it's also a massive stage that promotes zoning and platform camping more than anything in the stage list so it should be interesting how people shake up matchups on it. Overall a stage that is banned or picked often would be ideal.

Hmm. With Kasumi from Persona 5 Royal revealed, she is most likely the identity of the ever-mysterious "Jane". Anyway, a prominent modder in the Smash community offered his thoughts on Jane a few days ago. Thoughts?

vaanrose said:

Just popping in a day late to specify that a .mchp file is a cached vertex animation. You take a model, run non-realtime physics simulation on it, and then store the changes each vertex makes throughout the length of the animation into a cache file. This allows you to run an animation that alters each vertex position on each frame to look exactly like it was driven by physics, without it actually being driven by physics. It's stored data that, when played in realtime, appears to be dynamically calculated, and is one of many tricks video games use to render as fast as they need to. It is not simply a placeholder template for any kind of hair, like he offers as a potential explanation; it's specifically linked to the exact mesh and even a single vertex out of place renders it unusable. 

I haven't spent any time studying Ultimate or its physics engine to state this definitively, but the mere presence of a cached vertex animation suggests that the in-game hair isn't physics driven at all. It only appears that way because every animation a character has has a corresponding hair animation that was calculated in Maya.

What can we conclude based on this? "Jane" was far enough along in the development pipeline to have cached vertex animation. This means that she'd already have a model, said model would already be rigged, said rig would already be animated, and only then, the animation was used to calculate the way the vertexes will animate. Whoever "Jane" is, she was/is near the very end of the development pipeline, and I very much doubt she's scrapped content for that reason.

Here is what she is not:

1.) Any of the background characters. Joker is still referred to as "Jack" in the code, post-release, while all his party members (most notably, of course, being Ann) are referred to with their respective P5 codenames. Ann is "panther," not Jane.

2.) Morgana. It's been suggested the ponytail is Morgana's tail, but Morgana's tail is not a vertex animation. It's a skeletal bone animation that may have secondary physics attached to it under certain animations, but this is a wholly separate spring joint physics system, rather than cached Maya hair. This sort of system is considerably less expensive to render in realtime and is used all over the place. 

This poster is correct that, usually, the female and male alts alternate. This isn't only different gender alts, however, but all separate model alts. The two versions of Link, Ike, Wario, Cloud and Bayonetta also alternate, despite not being divided by gender. Therefore, the alts do not alternate because they are separated by gender, they alternate simply because they're alts. There's a notable exception to this, however. Olimar and Alph are separated with four Olimars, and then four Alphs.

I believe this sets a precedent for characters that are explicitly different characters to not alternate, but instead separate them into two groupings. They may be the same character functionally, but they are not the same character thematically. What little we know about this new Persona girl suggests that, even if she fulfills the same in-universe role as Joker, she is still a different character, being at the very least in a different year. It's likely that, as with P3's female protagonist before her, she'll also have a different name and different personality. Even if she is "Joker," she very much will not be just the distaff counterpart to the male version. We'll know whether this is truly the case or not next week.

There is also the fact that, when a character only has one or two alts, they are always the last costume slots. Mario, Little Mac, and Ridley are all this way, and now Joker is, too, with his c06 and c07 alts being his school outfit. I believe it is completely in line with current conventions if Joker's last two slots were originally intended to be female Joker, perhaps only getting two instead of four because she's not an established character and it's unknown yet if she'd be as warmly received as male Joker has been. And taken at face value, the "Jack6" and "Jane1" strings are connected. If Joker originally had four Jane alts, then "Jack6" would be "Jane3," but if he only had two, then "Jane1" would, indeed, be correct.

With this established, I think the notion that "Jack6_C06_v01_070925.mb" and "Jane1_pony_hairSystemShape2.mchp" are wholly separate strings only coincidentally next to each other in the junk data is unlikely. Possible? Yes. But I'd bet against it. Instead I'll offer a much simpler explanation:

These two separate files are next to each other in the junk data because they were stored in the same folder. Because that's exactly the correct workflow for this kind of thing. Your character file is stored next to its necessary secondary files, like animations and caches. These secondary files are then referenced into the main mb file when needed. This makes it easy to replace them, and the next time you load the mb asset, the new file is automatically loaded in.

Source: https://smashboards.com/threads/ultimate-social-thread-the-royale-with-cheese-edition.467706/page-4584#post-23248574 

5 hours ago, BZL8 said:

Hmm. With Kasumi from Persona 5 Royal revealed, she is most likely the identity of the ever-mysterious "Jane". Anyway, a prominent modder in the Smash community offered his thoughts on Jane a few days ago. Thoughts?

Possible Echo Fighter free if you bought Jack in a Box Existing Only in Your Mind?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Is there any particular reason why Smash Bros. and Street Fighter are the only series without all their music available on My Music? Because considering that all other series have all their music available in My Music, it's a massive headscratcher.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 4 weeks later...