Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I'm hoping that Fighter Pass 2 is all third party as well. They simply have more to add in terms of music, different aesthetics, and potential audiences. Still really holding out hope for Dante, Crash, Spyro, 2B, and Ezio, among others.

That said, add God Shattering Star to Smash, with or without any of the three house lords. You know you want to.

Edited by Etheus

I've returned from my long exile. This video I did shows off several moves Terry can use, but it's not all of them.

Terry Bogard is one of my favorite Fighting game characters, and video game characters in general. SNK's legacy goes back very far, and they've even clashed with Capcom several times in crossover games (So this isn't the first time Terry has tangled with Ryu or Ken, heck Terry and Ken even have a special opener for their fights). 

27FF9A94EC565B0526930F64E3B67FB047111FF4

He's an american street fighter, with a self invented style that uses ki manipulation (mostly through the ground), good ol street fighting and techniques he invented from playing basketball. He also defies physics (like Fighting game characters tend to do) with techniques like this. 

tumblr_mpr9rqQ5sB1spxvxbo1_250.gif Seen here is the Rising Tackle (which can go up higher depending on the input used). 

He's also really famous/infamous for his gratuitous Engrish. 

If people want me to talk more about him I can gladly supply it.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Honestly, I'm hoping that Fighter Pass 2 is all third party as well. They simply have more to add in terms of music, different aesthetics, and potential audiences. Still really holding out hope for Dante, Crash, Spyro, 2B, and Ezio, among others.

That said, add God Shattering Star to Smash, with or without any of the three house lords. You know you want to.

I predict that Fighter Pass 2 will still have 3rd part representation, but Nintendo will probably add some of their own characters along side 3rd party guests for the sake of cross-promotion for their other games.

Also, nah man. When it comes to epic Three Houses music, Apex of the World is where it's at! (god Shattering Star is pretty good to though)

44 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Terry Bogard is one of my favorite Fighting game characters, and video game characters in general. SNK's legacy goes back very far, and they've even clashed with Capcom several times in crossover games (So this isn't the first time Terry has tangled with Ryu or Ken, heck Terry and Ken even have a special opener for their fights).

Gald to hear I'm not alone with the Terry hype around here, easily one of my favorite fighting game characters ever as well! I was laughing and cheering so much watching the trailer for the first time, probably more so than any other reveal trailer since the now infamous "Everyone Is Here!" announcement trailer.

23 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Gald to hear I'm not alone with the Terry hype around here, easily one of my favorite fighting game characters ever as well! I was laughing and cheering so much watching the trailer for the first time, probably more so than any other reveal trailer since the now infamous "Everyone Is Here!" announcement trailer.

That trailer was oozing SNK respect and I was cheering and laughing both. 

3 hours ago, Flere210 said:

If Byleth get in instead of any of the three lord, i will boycott any future smash game. Yes i am that annoyed whit the sword spam.

At least Byleth can canonically wield multiple different weapons without reclassing/promoting unlike the other lords. Sure, the primary attacks could be swords but there’s also gauntlets, axes, magic, even gambits that can be hypothetically incorporated into their moveset.

Anyways, Terry is pretty out of my element so it incited a mostly indifferent reaction out of me, but I’m quite psyched there’s more DLC to come! I’m lowkey hoping for Saber to be added heh.

12 minutes ago, Silverly said:

At least Byleth can canonically wield multiple different weapons without reclassing/promoting unlike the other lords. Sure, the primary attacks could be swords but there’s also gauntlets, axes, magic, even gambits that can be hypothetically incorporated into their moveset.

Anyways, Terry is pretty out of my element so it incited a mostly indifferent reaction out of me, but I’m quite psyched there’s more DLC to come! I’m lowkey hoping for Saber to be added heh.

Speaking of Fate, if there’s ever a character from the franchise, I don’t it will be Saber, since they would try to avoid another sword character. Instead Emiya and Gilgamesh seem more likely and they considered mascots of the franchise just like Saber.

9 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of Fate, if there’s ever a character from the franchise, I don’t it will be Saber, since they would try to avoid another sword character. Instead Emiya and Gilgamesh seem more likely and they considered mascots of the franchise just like Saber.

I highly doubt that for several reasons.

1. Archer and Gilgamesh are both popular characters, but neither of them come close to being the face of Type-Moon, much less Fate. Saber is pretty much the poster girl of both.

2. Both of them also use swords, so your point is kinda moot. Contrary to what you might think, Saber doesn’t just wield swords. There’s her Mana Burst, Air Strike, Rhongomyniad, etc. There’s actually a whole Smashboard topic about if you’re interested.

3. We haven’t had a new female rep added in Smash in a while. Not even in the DLC (yet). Saber could help break that mold.

4. Gilgamesh would singlehandedly destroy everyone.

Granted, it’s pretty wishful thinking thinking any of them might get into Smash, but if there was a Fate/ character then Saber would be a lock end of story.

Terry Bogard is a character that doesn't excite me in principle - I don't find traditional fighting games fun at all. However, I do foresee myself likely playing him a lot. Those traditional fighting characters like Ryu and Ken paradoxically stand out in Smash, and I actually consider Ken to be one of my five mains, alongside Joker, Chrom, Ike, and Richter. I think Terry might slot into my lineup similarly to Ken.

3 hours ago, Silverly said:

Uh, the other three lords can do all the same except for magic in their unique classes.

10 hours ago, Flere210 said:

If Byleth get in instead of any of the three lord, i will boycott any future smash game. Yes i am that annoyed whit the sword spam.

Now; this is just me, but if I were making the next FIre Emblem DLC Fighter, I would make Byleth like Pokémon Trainer, with Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude as his three Pokémon. Unlike Pokémon Trainer though, Byleth would get involved in the fight in certain ways, but he would otherwise be in the background, acting as instructor. 

Seeing Sakurai explain every move and reference in the Banjo presentation is like a little kid explaining his saturday morning cartoon action figures and other toys to you. And while Terry's trailer was an adorable sprite video, I think among Smash bros trailers it's taking heavy point losses for lacking gameplay. I feel like they should have waited on that reveal.

Banjo's inclusion is perfect, as expected. I'm a little bummed that all the Tooie music is just boss fight themes but now that I think about it I can barely remember a single track from Tooie despite having beaten it for the first time just a couple months ago. Having Mumbo Mountain and Mad Monster Mansion from the first game feels a tad extra when they could have taken the final boss music which is pretty much a remix of many of the game's tracks (primarily Grunty's Lair which is iconic, yet absent). The fast, aggressive tone of the song is perfect for Smash. The Gobi Valley Remix was much better than I expected now that I've heard it.

I highly doubt they will make Byleth as PM trainer. 

- Switch PM is the core gameplay in Pokémon, but not Fire Emblem . It also weakens PM’s uniqueness. If Byleth can have three, why other franchises with commander type protagonist can’t do the same? Why can’t Robin also have three followers?

- Three Houses was not about having three lords, in fact it was the opposite as lords were never on the same team and are fighting each other

- The concept sounds silly visual wise: Edelgard jumps off stage and Dimitri jumps on? 

- We also need to think about Sothis and how to include her powers

Honestly I really don’t know how will they implement Three Houses either, but I just found PM style doesn’t make sense with Fire Emblem

on the less serious side, I found Rhea would be an interesting oddball unit: technically she’s a fourth lord and vital character. She’s super versatile for a non protagonist as she fights with rapier, brawl, magic and can transform into a dragon. (Maybe as Final Smash)

Another one, possibly as Assist Trophy is Seteth, consider he’s popular especially in Japan due to having famous VA there.

I’m not entirely sure 1st party will be any sort of priority from here on. Just a gut feeling of course, I still think all the DLC will be 3rd party from this point on still.

Besides maybe FE, Pokémon, or Xenoblade 2 getting something. (Maybe Astral Chain?) but I’m not expecting it as of right now.  The reasoning being funny enough Sakurais wording, “There is not going to be another chance to have all these characters together.”

”Exploring new worlds” of course you can take that as you will but that’s how I’m seeing it currently.

Edited by Jedi

52 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

I highly doubt they will make Byleth as PM trainer. 

- Switch PM is the core gameplay in Pokémon, but not Fire Emblem . It also weakens PM’s uniqueness. If Byleth can have three, why other franchises with commander type protagonist can’t do the same? Why can’t Robin also have three followers?

- Three Houses was not about having three lords, in fact it was the opposite as lords were never on the same team and are fighting each other

- The concept sounds silly visual wise: Edelgard jumps off stage and Dimitri jumps on? 

- We also need to think about Sothis and how to include her powers

Honestly I really don’t know how will they implement Three Houses either, but I just found PM style doesn’t make sense with Fire Emblem

Ah. Good points. I just thought it would make a good middle-ground between wanting Byleth in Ultimate and wanting at least one of the three lords in Ultimate, and I thought it would fit Byleth's role as a teacher. I honestly didn't really think it through beyond that. 

However, the point about Edelgard being sent off-stage and Dimitri jumping on would actually have a good explanation: the one that goes in is essentially covering for the one that just got defeated. "Edelgard; fall back! Dimitri; take her place!" <- An admittedly really bad line that I hope conveys my point. 

Anyway, yeah; I don't see a good way to implement Three Houses in Ultimate either. Part of the problem is that I still have yet to actually play it as I don't have a Switch. 

9 hours ago, Timlugia said:

The concept sounds silly visual wise: Edelgard jumps off stage and Dimitri jumps on?  

KoF does that along with a few other fighting games that feature battling in teams. It wouldn't be that strange to just have two lords cheering on the sidelines while they wait for their turn.

I agree that Byleth+lords shouldn't be implemented with the PM trainer mechanic but if it were to happen visuals would probably not be a problem.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Add Byleth... as a World of Light dojo trainer.

Add one lord as a playable character. Let's say Edelgard.

Add Dmitri and Claude as assist trophies.

Sakurai said that there's not going to be any more big updates to the game, so an update to the World of Light is entirely out of the question. We might get some Three Houses spirits added to the game (like the Mario Party, Let's Go Pokemon Pikachu/Eevee and Toy-Con ones were), but that's it unless there's a Three Houses DLC character added.

12 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

If we only get one 3H lord and it's not Byleth then I really hope it's not Edelgard. Claude would be ideal and Dimitri ok but please keep the tyrant away.

I understand not wanting Edelgard for that reason, but you realize a giant space dragon named Ridley has done worse things, right?

30 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Edelgard would be absolutely perfect. She is exactly the kind of character that would change the Smash community's perception of FE characters for the better.

(Perhaps Claude could do the same.)

Edelgard. Fights with both her axe and also a pair of gauntlets because that's a distinctive three houses thing and if we're aiming to change the community's perspective on Fire Emblem, that would help. It wouldn't be many of her attacks, maybe just her jab (a series of punches using animations from Three Houses that keeps continuing like Bayonetta, only slower). As far as stats go, she's an armour knight, so she's be slow and powerful, with poor jumping ability, yet still some powerful air game. She could have four costume swaps for the four different appearances she gets in game. She can show off a sword in taunts because she is seen with one in cutscenes (for some reason), but no need to actually use it.

Neutral Special: Luna: Edelgard's axe gets covered in shadow and she swings it in a powerful strike. What's special about this attack is that it completely ignores enemy weight when dealing knockback. Hit Ganondorf or Jigglypuff and they'll both go flying the same distance.

Side Special: Raging Storm: A powerful to strike combo, but the first attack is quite slow and inaccurate. The second strike will only be performed if the first one connects. Tilting the control stick can change the second attack, just like Marth's dancing blade.

Up Special: Colossus: Edelgard leaps up and smashes with her axe like the animation in Radiant Dawn. Doesn't provide a tonne of recovery, but has a powerful meteor smash effect.

Down Special: Distant Counter: Edelgard braces herself and if an enemy's attack connects, she responds by very quickly throwing a hand axe in their direction. Not too powerful, but her fastest attack and the axe has a homing feature making it difficult for enemies to dodge.

Final Smash: Raging Flames: Edelgard summons a hoard of soldiers to attack her enemies in a cutscene. Doesn't auto kill, but does leave enemies dazed leaving Edelgard completely free to near guarantee a kill with a powerful Smash Attack.

Gimmick: Twin Crest: Occasionally a crest will appear for a few seconds over Edelgard's mug, like the Killing Edge item. Both of the crests she has in game can appear, with the Crest of Seiros upping her % damage slightly and the Crest of Flames allowing her to recover some damage every time she connects with an attack.

Edited by Jotari

9 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I understand not wanting Edelgard for that reason, but you realize a giant space dragon named Ridley has done worse things, right?

Ok yes but also Metroid is not a story/character driven series. Like yeah, maybe he's done worst things but the game doesn't really focus on having the player contemplate and judge him for his actions.

Plus, I was just stating my own bias really. If it comes down between only one of the s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ lords, I'm obviously not gonna want to see the s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶r̶ lord I hate over one of the other options.

36 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Edelgard would be absolutely perfect. She is exactly the kind of character that would change the Smash community's perception of FE characters for the better.

(Perhaps Claude could do the same.)

Perfect... maybe. I think there's other characters that can do the same thing or better but that's subjective. I do agree she's the most likely to get in besides Byleth with how much favoritism she got from IS though.