Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that Fighter Pass 2 is gonna be all promoted Assist Trophies, and they know it's gonna be very mixed in reception. I have zero evidence or reason to think this, I just...have a feeling.

If that's true, then hopefully Krystal's one of them.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

June starts like next week. Are they really going to drop this new character on us without building up any hype as to who they are? I assumed they would have announced the actual character some time this month, but we've got nada. This is like the least pumped I am for a DLC fighter...I'll still buy it because I'm Nintendo's bitch when it comes to Smash, but the fanfare is rather low for this one.

Yeah, I'm worried it's going to be like the new Paper Mario game announcement, where it comes out if nowhere. (Well I guess that was leaked/heavily rumored...)

@Lord_Brand And Isaac!!! 😃🤞 (Probably won't happen but we sure can hope...) 

Edited by Bk1234

I'm still expecting a Sakurai livestream, even if he has to bring the webcam and demo kit home from work, he'll do it. He loves this stuff. He's also going to let slip who his ARMS main was, because there's not a whole lot of a history lesson to go through like with previous characters. Gotta talk about something.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Perkilator said:

It's been a whole year since Nintendo's E3 2019 direct. You think when the ARMS character is revealed, they'll reveal another character in a teaser trailer?

If the ARMS character is revealed during a direct/Sakurai presentation then I think we could see a reveal of Fighter #7. If they just drop a trailer then I doubt we'll see a reveal for Fighter #7. Personally, I'm hoping we get a Sakurai presentation announcing the ARMS fighter and Fighter #7. 

Something I've been wanting to get out since Piranha Plant's reveal: you don't have to love or hate either, but using the "generic enemy/species" argument against Bandana Dee is hypocritical now that we have a Piranha Plant. This is something I wanna do a whole topic for, but decied to just do as a post instead. Is a whole topic on this okay?

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Something I've been wanting to get out since Piranha Plant's reveal: you don't have to love or hate either, but using the "generic enemy/species" argument against Bandana Dee is hypocritical now that we have a Piranha Plant. This is something I wanna do a whole topic for, but decied to just do as a post instead. Is a whole topic on this okay?

People use that argument? I don't even think Bandanna Waddle Dee should be considered a generic enemy, since the character represents the "P4" of Kirby, not a basic Waddle Dee. 

52 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

People use that argument? I don't even think Bandanna Waddle Dee should be considered a generic enemy, since the character represents the "P4" of Kirby, not a basic Waddle Dee. 

Yep. I know, because I've seen it.

14 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

TBH, i'm not all that curious about the ARMS character, i'm more curious as to what they are going to do about Sonic's moveset, if anything.

I'd rather they focus on the problem, not its symptoms. That being bad netcode and forced input lag, and Smash is not the only Japanese fighter with these issues. Tekken has it, anime fighters have it, street fighter had it until it was patched out. Fighting games that do a flat delay on inputs for all modes, online and offline. Make every mode laggy to start, so that when the player goes online, the online latency gets masked by the input delay. Matches only seem "laggy" if it ever gets really bad. But since the netcode is trash, it always seems really bad. It's a scummy alternative to just building stable online. And it hurts competitive play when you can barely punish a raw smash attack in neutral.

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'd rather they focus on the problem, not its symptoms. That being bad netcode and forced input lag, and Smash is not the only Japanese fighter with these issues. Tekken has it, anime fighters have it, street fighter had it until it was patched out. Fighting games that do a flat delay on inputs for all modes, online and offline. Make every mode laggy to start, so that when the player goes online, the online latency gets masked by the input delay. Matches only seem "laggy" if it ever gets really bad. But since the netcode is trash, it always seems really bad. It's a scummy alternative to just building stable online. And it hurts competitive play when you can barely punish a raw smash attack in neutral.

The fact that Sonic is "degenerate" in any mode is an issue I'm sure alot would like to see addressed. Playing the waiting game for half a game every time isnt much fun, yet Sonic forces this every game. His moveset isnt fun or fun to watch, they should fix this. Its not all on the bad online, some of it is inherent in Sonic's moveset.

19 hours ago, Perkilator said:

It would be hypocritical if you like that Pirahna Plant was picked for the game. If you don't like that, there's nothing hypocritical about it.

As for where I stand on Bandana Waddle Dee, I would be distinctly unexcited if he were added. But I also wouldn't hate it. It isn't going to sell the pack to me, nor is it going to kill my interest. I am not going to make any arguments as to whether or not he should be added. 

The Smash community makes much ado about who "deserves," to be in, but the consensus on who those deserving characters are is nonsensical. When a character from a relevant, popular modern game like Byleth is met with vitriol, while an irrelevant character like Geno is hotly demanded, it's clear that the Smash fandom has a warped view of relevance and is being overly influenced by a particular nostalgic bubble that screams very loudly.

We're at the point that characters are expected because they're expected, not because we should be expecting them.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

4 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It would be hypocritical if you like that Pirahna Plant was picked for the game. If you don't like that, there's nothing hypocritical about it.

As for where I stand on Bandana Waddle Dee, I would be distinctly unexcited if he were added. But I also wouldn't hate it. It isn't going to sell the pack to me, nor is it going to kill my interest. I am not going to make any arguments as to whether or not he should be added. 

The Smash community makes much ado about who "deserves," to be in, but the consensus on who those deserving characters are is nonsensical. When a character from a relevant, popular modern game like Byleth is met with vitriol, while an irrelevant character like Geno is hotly demanded, it's clear that the Smash fandom has a warped view of relevance and is being overly influenced by a particular nostalgic bubble that screams very loudly.

We're at the point that characters are expected because they're expected, not because we should be expecting them.

I agree with your point on Bandanna Waddle Dee. I wouldn't be wowed by their inclusion, but I wouldn't be disappointed. I also understand your point about relevance. However, as we've seen with characters like King K. Rool, you don't have to be relevant in the industry in order to get in. 

So...anyone else feeling like the ARMS character is being delayed due to COVID? The month is more than half over now and it was originally said we'd get the character in June. And now, we still don't even know which character it is, let alone which day they're coming. I wish they'd tell us something.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

So...anyone else feeling like the ARMS character is being delayed due to COVID? The month is more than half over now and it was originally said we'd get the character in June. And now, we still don't even know which character it is, let alone which day they're coming. I wish they'd tell us something.

I think they'd tell us if it was delayed. It's only halfway into the month right bow, so I'm betting either next week or the week after, assuming there's no delay.

1 minute ago, Perkilator said:

I think they'd tell us if it was delayed. It's only halfway into the month right bow, so I'm betting either next week or the week after, assuming there's no delay.

No, it's more than halfway. June has 30 days and today's the 17th. You'd think we'd at least know who the character is by now.

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I actually had this fear as well. It is also important to note that Pokemon is having another "Pokemon Presents" on the 24th, so maybe they don't want to have the Smash DLC overshadow that. I think it is possible that we could get something tomorrow (though I doubt it). 

2 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I actually had this fear as well. It is also important to note that Pokemon is having another "Pokemon Presents" on the 24th, so maybe they don't want to have the Smash DLC overshadow that. I think it is possible that we could get something tomorrow (though I doubt it). 

Yeah, that's possible too, I suppose. But I wouldn't want either one to overshadow the other...

Well, Byleth came out on the 28th or so, and was revealed on like, the 17th? Can't remember exactly, but same situation. Nothing wrong with taking the time to prepare, better than having poor quality, after all!

On 6/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, Bk1234 said:

I agree with your point on Bandanna Waddle Dee. I wouldn't be wowed by their inclusion, but I wouldn't be disappointed. I also understand your point about relevance. However, as we've seen with characters like King K. Rool, you don't have to be relevant in the industry in order to get in. 

So far, this pack doesn't have a pack-seller to me in general. The ARMS fighter reveal was a distinct meh, whereas FP1 opened with a character from one of my favorite games of all time.

With FP2, there are characters who could instantly sell the pack to me (Dante, 2B, Tales rep, Geralt, Isaac, Nihon Falcom rep, etc.), there are characters who would not be sellers or dealbreakers (ARMS, Pokemon, Bandana Waddle Dee, Geno, Walluigi, and a few other popularly mentioned characters), and there are characters who, if revealed before one of those pack sellers would instantly break me on the pack and make me purchase only the characters I want (Minecraft Steve and Dixie Kong).

As for whether relevance matters, I'm not sure where I stand on that. It's more just that the Smash speculation bubble has become "we talk about these characters, because we've been talking about these characters," and it's boring.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, Byleth came out on the 28th or so, and was revealed on like, the 17th? Can't remember exactly, but same situation. Nothing wrong with taking the time to prepare, better than having poor quality, after all!

That's true. I'd rather have a good quality pack. 😊

@Fabulously Olivier Hopefully, pack #7 solves the issue of no "pack-seller." Leaving us without news for months may be a good strategy because it will make fans hungry for content, so when content does drop, fans will buy it no matter who it is. 

Edited by Bk1234

29 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

That's true. I'd rather have a good quality pack. 😊

Well, more often than not, when they take shortcuts developing DLC, it ends up being pretty dissapointing. That's why it's better to make sure it's ready. I dont want Smash to be one of those games.

There will be a "Mr. Sakurai presents a fightrer from ARMS" presentation. Check out the details here.

The presentation will be on Monday, June 22 and will start at 10am EST. 

~Any last-minute predictions?~

Edited by Bk1234