Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Geez, I can't believe Lucina was over 200% before getting Final Smashed, but these are all choreographed right?

Side note:

In the english demo, Lucina sounds like they're recycling her voice clips from Smash 4. I'm curious to know why they would do that with her & not Ike.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

Chrom and Lucina vs Dark Samus and Ridley 

Snake Vs K Rool 

I could be seeing wrong and it might just be the fast pace of the battle, but for a heavy character, doesn’t K. Rool seem very agile?

Edited by Water Mage

And Chrom's model is still garbage, as seen in that victory pose.

Anyways, someone compiled a damage comparison between Smash 4 Roy and Chrom:

Jab: 6.8 vs 7 to 4

Fsmash: 19.9 vs 20 to 12

Nair: 5 then 6.9 vs 4 to 5 then 6 to 8

Fair: 9.5 vs 11 to 7

Bair: 11.4 vs 12 to 9

Uair: 8 vs 9 to 6

Side B: 2.9, 2.6, 2.9, 3.3 vs 3, 3(or 2), 3, 6

Pummel: 1.3 vs 2

Fthrow: 5.3 vs 5

Also lower landing lag (but that's everybody, really). Seems like if Chrom's like this Roy's probably further buffed up, which is only a good thing.

4 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Geez, I can't believe Lucina was over 200% before getting Final Smashed, but these are all choreographed right?

Side note:

In the english demo, Lucina sounds like they're recycling her voice clips from Smash 4. I'm curious to know why they would do that with her & not Ike.

If you haven't noticed, they aren't giving Lucina a whole lot of love here. This also means she'll likely still be weirdly sassy.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

And Chrom's model is still garbage, as seen in that victory pose.

It's still got polishing to do. He's not the only one who looks rough in the promotional material.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

It's still got polishing to do. He's not the only one who looks rough in the promotional material.

It's just bad and significantly lower quality than most everyone else:

ss_4.jpg
ss_5.jpg 

In the top image there's the awkward, constipated looking expression, malformed fingers, and a cape that's folding inward on itself, and an arm with a lower quality texture that's a different shade to his skin entirely; bottom image has his right leg clipping through the top cuff of the boot in his crouching pose... and another shot of the malformed hand, too.

Let's compare him to other FE characters:

ss_6.jpgss_1.jpgss_6.jpg

Better faces and textures, less noticeable clipping, and better proportioned hands.

The only character whose model looks as bad as Chrom's is Young Link.

ss_1.jpg
ss_4.jpg

Though there has been some general roughness in pre-release pictures and footage, Chrom's model just sticks out as ugly looking-- and I heavily doubt he's going to get a visual overhaul within the next couple months.

Edited by The DanMan

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Hide contents

ss_4.jpg
ss_5.jpg 

In the top image there's the awkward, constipated looking expression, malformed fingers, and a cape that's folding inward on itself, and an arm with a lower quality texture that's a different shade to his skin entirely; bottom image has his right leg clipping through the top cuff of the boot in his crouching pose... and another shot of the malformed hand, too.

Hide contents

ss_6.jpgss_1.jpgss_6.jpg

Better faces and textures, less noticeable clipping, and better proportioned hands.

Hide contents

ss_1.jpg
ss_4.jpg

Though there has been some general roughness in pre-release pictures and footage, Chrom's model just sticks out as ugly looking-- and I heavily doubt he's going to get a visual overhaul within the next couple months.

They may have just not gotten to polishing him as much. I say wait until the final product. At least they care enough to give him some more unique animations though.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76923770

this is a current topic of discussion.

tl:dr this leaked mentioned stuff about DMC5 that has been getting more and more credibility.

mentioned Dante potentially being in smash.

As with all things take with a grain of salt.

it's funny, after looking at the video, chrom looks like a mod, I was also reminded how lame his inclusion is, regardless of all the "Viridi wuz wrong, lel" stuff, that doesn't really change the fact that he just vanishes around all the better characters, he doesn't even have the cool dark samus aesthetics, I really hope fire emblem gets something more, this is just sad. 

and seconding TheDanMan, he looks like a mod to me, even if it is early, that doesn't change much, he seems more like an afterthought if you ask me.

@Armagon my disappointment in the newcomers peaked when they announced chrom, at this point there is little sakurai could do, other than maybe add validar or garon, to make me see this newcomer cast as poor.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

This is the only thing to do with any leak. Everyone should always consider the following:

• A person who is actually working on the game risks getting fired and blacklisted from the industry if they reveal things they're not supposed to. Likewise, someone's "uncle who works for Nintendo" is taking the same risk if they were real and telling their family or friends stuff
  • Most information about the game is almost certainly on a "need-to-know" basis at Nintendo, the random accountants or pencil pushers aren't going to know. Even people like Bill Trinen or Reggie probably aren't told until right before a major presentation, and that's assuming they're involved with said presentation.
  • Just like how fortune tellers commonly operate, it's easy enough to make some safe guesses to seem more credible. The truth is that nobody is credible.
  • Random ass kids (and that's really who these "leakers" are) love to lap up the attention over this stuff and suffer zero consequences for being wrong. Even when it's anonymous, they're still getting kicks out of seeing people worked up over their little joke.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

This is the only thing to do with any leak. Everyone should always consider the following:

• A person who is actually working on the game risks getting fired and blacklisted from the industry if they reveal things they're not supposed to. Likewise, someone's "uncle who works for Nintendo" is taking the same risk if they were real and telling their family or friends stuff
  • Most information about the game is almost certainly on a "need-to-know" basis at Nintendo, the random accountants or pencil pushers aren't going to know. Even people like Bill Trinen or Reggie probably aren't told until right before a major presentation, and that's assuming they're involved with said presentation.
  • Just like how fortune tellers commonly operate, it's easy enough to make some safe guesses to seem more credible. The truth is that nobody is credible.
  • Random ass kids (and that's really who these "leakers" are) love to lap up the attention over this stuff and suffer zero consequences for being wrong. Even when it's anonymous, they're still getting kicks out of seeing people worked up over their little joke.

Actually, a specific aspect of it has been confirmed since it's been put up (that being V's weapon-- when most thought he'd be an unarmed fist-fighter due to the fact he isn't shown with anything on the game's cover).

At the same time, it's very possible the Smash part was a completely different user replying entirely-- though the fact that, if that was the case, the original person did nothing to clear things up raises more questions.

It's not confirmed by a longshot, but the fact the leak actually predicted something somewhat major has me not wanting to count it out. Like with most leaks, it's probably not directly from a guy in the dev team-- it'd be from a guy who knows a guy who sent this to a guy. And it's reasonable to believe that certain people within Capcom that aren't at the very top of the rung, as well as localizers and certain PR department members in NOA, would know something like this. 

Smash Ultimate already has had multiple legit leaks happen (all the major points from E3 and specific details about Inkling's moveset and the Zelda characters' designs popped up before E3-- from two different people entirely; Simon and K. Rool were also leaked, the latter by someone who also outlined details about the Smash Direct and that it would air in August-- two days after E3).

With games as big as Smash and DMCV, no matter how hard you try and keep a lock on things, stuff will leak out.

Edited by The DanMan

This week's Smash Ultimate song preview is "Gear Up For..."

Out of all the Fire Emblem games, i didn't think we'd get a remix of a song from Heroes. Interesting choice.

I wasn't expecting any acknowledgement of Nintendo's mobile efforts, so this is a surprise. Reinhardt confirmed?

This reminds me that I don't really the like the new "every song from a series plays on every stage from that series" mechanic. I'd prefer if every stage had its own unique selection of music.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

It's not confirmed by a longshot, but the fact the leak actually predicted something somewhat major has me not wanting to count it out. Like with most leaks, it's probably not directly from a guy in the dev team-- it'd be from a guy who knows a guy who sent this to a guy. And it's reasonable to believe that certain people within Capcom that aren't at the very top of the rung, as well as localizers and certain PR department members in NOA, would know something like this. 

I get that it feels good to latch onto something and it's mentally stimulating to think about the possibilities, but these "leakers" are straight up toying with people. There's nothing stopping me from making a fake ass "leak" of my own.

I still don't get why Chrom and Lucina have different sound effects on their attacks when they're wielding the exact same weapon...

Also, Ike probably got new voice clips courtesy of Greg Chun and Lucina didn't either because Jason Adkins wasn't liked as much as Laura Bailey or they couldn't get Bailey or Alexis Tipton to do new clips for whatever reason.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Johann said:

I get that it feels good to latch onto something and it's mentally stimulating to think about the possibilities, but these "leakers" are straight up toying with people. There's nothing stopping me from making a fake ass "leak" of my own.

There's a difference between a random 4chan "leak" and a 4chan leak that actually seems to be a legit leak; heck, I even said (and explained why) the Smash part is very possibly not true-- yet it can't be fully discounted now.
Smash has been a leaky ship since the Brawl days, and nothing has changed with Ultimate. If anything, it's more pronounced this time around with a few regulars-- for instance, the person who described the Inkling's moveset and designs used by the Zelda characters right before E3 was also the person who talked about the Smash Direct and give specific details/a window in August talked about K. Rool before the Direct and has gone on to bring up Skull Kid and Isaac; Simon Belmont, as well as no cuts and the return of Snake, were brought up months before E3 by another person who's been claiming Ken will be an Echo Fighter (though, considering Street Fighter's tracks multiplied sixfold, doesn't sound unreasonable) and that the new Pokemon character will be Incineroar (which the other leaker has backed him up on).

I specified that the DMC 4chan leak, at least in part, has been shown to be legit and Dante can't be completely disregarded anymore while also bringing up the amount of on-point leaks Smash Ultimate has had while you're claiming "nobody is credible" and acting like Smash is some sort of super secret government project virtually nobody outside of those directly involved has details about.

You could've just left a word of caution (which would've been unnecessary, since the user posting it did the obligatory "take this with a grain of salt"), but instead you claimed in so many words that nobody actually leaks anything and it's just "kids making safe guesses" (ironic that, as I brought up, the big part of the leak that's causing it to gain traction wasn't a safe guess at all)... and then ignored every single word I said in your reply, coming out patronizing me instead.

So, I end with this again: with games as big as Smash and DMCV, no matter how hard they try and keep a lock on things, stuff will (and does, and has) leak out.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Out of all the Fire Emblem games, i didn't think we'd get a remix of a song from Heroes. Interesting choice.

Obviously this confirms Anna, right?

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I wasn't expecting any acknowledgement of Nintendo's mobile efforts, so this is a surprise. Reinhardt confirmed?

This reminds me that I don't really the like the new "every song from a series plays on every stage from that series" mechanic. I'd prefer if every stage had its own unique selection of music.

I actually remember seeing an alleged leak somewhere that said Reinhardt was going to be an Assist Trophy because of his popularity in Heroes. And honestly that kinda ticks me off because Lyn is STILL an AT after literally winning a popularity contest and getting a special version because of it in Heroes.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

There's a difference between a random 4chan "leak" and a 4chan leak that actually seems to be a legit leak

The only real difference is that you believe leak one more than the other. I don't give a shit until it comes from Sakurai himself

11 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

If you haven't noticed, they aren't giving Lucina a whole lot of love here. This also means she'll likely still be weirdly sassy.

Great, that's not going to sound weird.

10 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Reveal hidden contents

ss_4.jpg
ss_5.jpg 

Reveal hidden contents

ss_6.jpgss_1.jpgss_6.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

ss_1.jpg
ss_4.jpg

I'm not seeing it, but I never had an eye for these  things so what would I know?

Wouldn't surprise if they used the same model from the Wii U to save some bucks.

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

it's funny, after looking at the video, chrom looks like a mod, I was also reminded how lame his inclusion is, regardless of all the "Viridi wuz wrong, lel" stuff, that doesn't really change the fact that he just vanishes around all the better characters, he doesn't even have the cool dark samus aesthetics, I really hope fire emblem gets something more, this is just sad. 

Chrom isn't even detriment the cast to begin with, since he's an echo fighter.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76923770

this is a current topic of discussion.

tl:dr this leaked mentioned stuff about DMC5 that has been getting more and more credibility.

mentioned Dante potentially being in smash.

Well that's one hell of a guest character.

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't believe it.

Sakurai's no stranger to good games, and any director worth his salt would have the Dante Trailer look like this

So "shirtless" Dante? I'm cool with that, but I rather him use his DMC 1 or 4 look.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wow, a Heroes rep. I guess it was too much to ask for Breidablik to be like the Pokeball. Too many character models to animate.

Edited by Zangetsu

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

It makes sense that Heroes would get some representation as it's been a huge success, but... really, the castle base theme? That's not a good pick. It's not exciting enough for a fight, it's pretty repetitive... like it's fine as background music for sorting through your units but it doesn't get me pumped at all.

I really like this new remix from Heroes. I’m normally indifferent to the castle theme, but this has a new energy and instrumentation to it that I really enjoy. I’m a bit taken back though, since I thought the development took place several months ago before Heroes was even out so I thought it wouldn’t get even a glance. I suppose music is one of the later list of to-dos? I’d think Lyn wouldn’t be left as a lame assist trophy once her popularity came out of the woodwork, but that might be because the roster is one of the earliest thing decided upon.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

It makes sense that Heroes would get some representation as it's been a huge success, but... really, the castle base theme? That's not a good pick. It's not exciting enough for a fight, it's pretty repetitive... like it's fine as background music for sorting through your units but it doesn't get me pumped at all.

Honestly though, the list for Heroes music is pretty shallow. The player phase and especially the enemy phase music were so reviled that eventually there was an option to not have them play at all in favor of the music of the previous FE games (personally I never got the hate... I actually genuinely like the enemy phase music). Aside from those, I think you’d be hard pressed to think of alternatives. Maybe a “Heroes medley” could have happened, which would have been fun. 

On 2018-08-22 at 1:34 AM, The DanMan said:

With games as big as Smash and DMCV, no matter how hard you try and keep a lock on things, stuff will leak out.

Edited by Retyl

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Can Fire Emblem Heroes put this as their home menu theme?

I love how it starts out like those meme videos. "It's the Fire Emblem base theme but speeds up every time you get a pity breaker"