Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Listening in to the GameXplain discussion and they make a good point. They stressed last time they're done with new modes, but maybe we could see a rollout of costumes for existing characters in one of these updates. So much potential on the table there, especially compared to just doing more mii outfits. People love cosmetics, but they'd love them more for characters they actually play.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Listening in to the GameXplain discussion and they make a good point. They stressed last time they're done with new modes, but maybe we could see a rollout of costumes for existing characters in one of these updates. So much potential on the table there, especially compared to just doing more mii outfits. People love cosmetics, but they'd love them more for characters they actually play.

I would love that. 

Personally, I think that the only good Mii costumes are those which completely obscure the Mii (like Sans). I don't like Miis, and I don't like being reminded that I'm playing one.

Wait hang on, where's my wishlist of updates...

On 7/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, Glennstavos said:

Let me just dust off my list of wanted updates:

• Make Squad Strike playable online. I understand online matchmaking relies on the GSP system, but even if it was only playable in arenas, people would play the crap out a mode that lets them use 3 or 5 of their favorites in one continuous match. Because it's genuinely rare for somebody to play this game and only care about one of the characters. Having this be restricted to local play has rendered the fun of this mode unknown to many players.
  • Boss Battles. I was utterly shocked to see this not return alongside the return of adventure mode-styled bosses. Once you build the "waiting room" where five heart containers sit in between battles, the programming for a mode like this would take a matter of hours. They can also take the initiative in remastering the boss battles from Brawl if they wanted too, since we have less than 10 unique bosses.
  • Break the Targets. I'm still holding out hope. And I don't care for people saying that making 70+ unique stages would "take too long". If you have a pencil and paper in front of you, you could design a stage and hand it to a programmer to make real. No unique assets necessary. Between the in-game stage builder and the return of previous games' target test songs, a lot of the work would be trivial. They could even allow players to construct their own challenges to publish online for others to play, though I only need some official stages, personally.
  • Let us organize the character and stage selection screens. At least have an option to organize by series. Having these characters in "order of announcement" just feels tailor made to keep them placed as randomly as possible. The option to hide echo fighters proves they considered how players might want to organize this stuff, so give us some more options already.  
  • Fix the issues with buffering in this video. Buffering especially needs to be addressed since there appear to be some developer oversights regarding hold buffers. There's also a potential for players to adjust the buffer window's length in their control options, though personally the only option I'd like to see is just turning it off. In my opinion ten frames is a fantastic length for a fighting game since it reduces the skill floor for combo execution while not being so long it's hard to work around.

2 and 3 are an almost definite no since they said they're done with modes. 5 is mostly addressed, which is nice. So all I have to add is character costumes. Also add Team Attack as a preferred rule for Co-op play online. A lot of the most egregious teams my friend and I face wouldn't work if you weren't allowed to attack through your partner. No more double Samus campers or one Ness spamming PK Fire as the other covers air approaches with the triple F-air. And since co-op quickplay doesn't have matchmaking (which should also maybe change one of these days), you don't have to worry about coordinating attacks around a reckless partner when your partner is somebody in real life sitting next to you each match. 

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

but maybe we could see a rollout of costumes for existing characters in one of these updates. So much potential on the table there, especially compared to just doing more mii outfits. People love cosmetics, but they'd love them more for characters they actually play.

This is something I really would like to see, but know wont happen. After playing PM, which has amazing alts, then seeing Ultimates crap, I have little faith.

Something I would also like to see, actually balance the game?

12 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Does Terry have that awesome aviator alternate costume?

No. They’re all based on default with different colors and decorative text on the cap.

16 minutes ago, Dai said:

I guess the Astral Chain spirits aren't re-available, yet. I completely missed them when they came out.

Wait…Astral Chain never got Spirits. I remember when the game first came out.

9 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Wait…Astral Chain never got Spirits. I remember when the game first came out.

Daemon x Machina. My bad.

Edit: Terry's Spirit Board is really easy. Beat it first try with Terry.

Edited by Dai

8 hours ago, Dai said:

"Smash is for good boys and girls, so unfortunately, Mai Shiranui won't be joining."

SAVAGE.

And then Sakurai defeated Zelda in Classic...

7 hours ago, Perkilator said:

TERRY’S. PACK. HAS. 50. SONGS.

With a number like that, I don't feel so bad about compiling lengthy song lists for prospective fighters like Crash Bandicoot or Shantae.

Edited by Lord_Brand

On topic, Terry's pretty fun to play as, so that's good. He certainly isn't the character for me, but still pretty well designed nonetheless.

off topic, the balance changes are highly disappointing. There are so many things I think need to be changed to make the game more engaging. But oh well, that's how it is, I suppose.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Two of my mains got buffed, so I feel the exact opposite way.

No changes they make to the "bad" characters will fix them. They never make the proper changes to make characters better. Like, it's great that Kirby got buffed, but a lot of his issues aren't with attack speed, it's mobility. There's a reason they still have really good characters and really awful ones, clearly it's because they know how to balance things, right?

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

No changes they make to the "bad" characters will fix them. They never make the proper changes to make characters better.

According to what I've read, all the changes to DK means that Bowser isn't the only viable heavyweight on the roster anymore.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

There's a reason they still have really good characters and really awful ones, clearly it's because they know how to balance things, right?

No, they don't.

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

According to what I've read, all the changes to DK means that Bowser isn't the only viable heavyweight on the roster anymore.

No, they don't.

I doubt this, really. They dont change the right things. Good example, ZSS's down b is an infamous option for safety. Their solution? Make its flexibility better, sounds like someone who knows how to make the best decision for balance to me. Now I personally think that was a stupid change. And I know that was a while ago, but it doesnt change. To me it's sad to see changes like this when it doesnt help the game at all.

My bro and I did a two-Terry team on Classic last night. Because it was our first time playing him, we started at 3.0. But damn, we're good at tag-teaming foes with Terry's attacks. His moveset just kinda flows naturally for us.

So I was surprised that Terry lacked standard on-hit cancels. At least I'm pretty sure they're standard in the KoF series. But only opting for special cancels for this character design isn't a total weakness. Without chaining light attacks in heavy attacks like Ryu, the game defers to standard rules like other smash characters. If you jab somebody with Link, then input an Usmash, the game just performs a jab 2 because Link has no system of cancelling into other moves. Terry is the same. When he does a jab 1 into jab 2, he can focus on his directional inputs while pressing A a second time for the second jab. Ryu/Ken can't do this. If Ryu jabs and does the directional inputs for shoryuken during the jab combo, the game reads those inputs individually so he cancels into a f-tilt or d-tilt when A is pressed too early. 

The tl;dr is that stringing Terry's normals into input specials is extremely easy compared to Ryu/Ken, the player just has such a large input window to work with, at least in the case of Jab 1 > 2 as a starter which players are relying on more than anything. That's more than half a second. Teach somebody the inputs for Power Geyser and it won't take much practice for them to perform it within half a second. By comparison, Ryu has maybe a quarter of a second to nail a true shoryu out of an utilt. If he's too early, a different move entirely comes out. If he's too late, his opponent escapes the combo.

Overall I'm happy with Terry's design. Some details don't make sense. Buster Wolf does not need frame 1 armor, and it certainly doesn't need to be stronger armor than what's present on Power Geyser. All of his four recovery moves refresh after a hit which makes him extremely difficult to edgeguard without landing a move that kills him outright. A bad Terry is easy to beat back, but a decent Terry should be making it to the ledge for free. Onstage though, fighting Terry is an all-out slugfest which is what I prefer.

Edited by Glennstavos

I won't deny that Sora certainly has moveset potential for Smash. And he's high-profile. My primary concern are the Disney elements, like the Mickey Mouse shape of his Keyblade's keychain. Nintendo in the past had two strict rules about who can get into Smash:  

1. The character must have originated in a video game (thereby omitting Goku, Shrek, etc.)
  2. The character must have appeared in a game on a Nintendo console (Cloud barely qualified thanks to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories)

Granted, they seem to have relaxed that a bit with Joker, but Joker's series at least has appeared on Nintendo platforms before, and P5 might well debut on the Switch itself in the near future. Sora himself does technically meet those two requirements, but how does Nintendo feel about the Disney elements? Mickey, Donald, and Goofy aren't video game originals (even if they certainly have made plenty of appearances on Nintendo consoles). If they're allowed in, that throws the doors wide open for Goku, Shrek, etc. On the other hand, Sora's design could be edited so all Disney references are omitted; the Mickey Mouse keychain on the Keyblade could be switched over to a crown or a heart. But of course, Sora is co-owned by Disney and Square Enix, so Disney still has to give their approval, and they have to be paid as well.

The one loophole I could maybe see Nintendo exercising is that the Kingdom Hearts versions of Mickey and the gang specifically are treated as video game-originated adaptations of the characters, much like how Castlevania's Dracula is clearly an adaptation of a non-video game character in a video game-specific form. So, the Kingdom Hearts-specific versions of Mickey and the gang, and only those versions, could appear in the game.

Even if Sora made it into Smash, Square Enix has been notoriously stingy with their FF and DQ content compared to Capcom, Konami, and SNK's generous content offerings. We'd be lucky to get Sora, his stage, a handful of songs, and maybe one page of Spirits. And if not for SE's stinginess, there's still the matter of having to pay Disney as well.