Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

39 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I wonder how many fans will ship Bayonetta/Dante if he gets added to Smash? Oh, who am I kidding, fans already ship them.

Here's a Wikipedia article on the "Ecchi" slang term. Basically, it' s a term that refers to works with sexual overtones, hence the pictures of Smash characters in suggestive poses and clothing (good boys and girls of all ages, my foot).

Personally, I feel either Ryu Hayabusa or Crash Bandicoot are likely options.

Ryu is part of the NES old guard along with Mario, Link, Samus, Pit, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont, and as a sidescrolling action hero he'd be a perfect fit for Smash. Since Ryu has appeared in the Dead or Alive series as well, he's also a gateway for references to and representation of that series (though fan-favorite Kasumi will be left out for the same reasons as Mai Shiranui). Plus he represents Tecmo Koei, who have yet to get a rep.

Meanwhile, Crash is a major video game icon of the 90s, once seen as Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic, so that right there makes him perfect for Smash, especially now that the N. Sane Trilogy and CTRNF are available on Switch. Crash of course would be rep Activision, another company yet to receive representation in Smash.

I second the "eww" on that ship. Dante deserves better than the gross hair-suit woman.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Question: Does Lü Bu from Dynasty Warriors count as a "Dracula" for Smash representation purposes? He's based on a historical figure, but at the same time the DW version is quite distinct.

I'd say so, particularly with all the liberties Musou takes with its historical inspirations. Zhang He anyone?

Whilst as a character I prefer Nobunaga and Cao Cao, I'd take Yukimura or... *has to look up name again* Zhao Yun as a Smash playable.

The fact I couldn't remember Zhao's name offhand indicates I don't really notice him all that much, but he and Yukimura are polearm users (admittedly, so is Lu Bu). Lu Bu has been intraseries memey, but Zhao Yun and Yukimura are franchise posterboys who find themselves plastered onto the boxart for every game.

If they really wanted to, they could easily make Yukimura Zhao Yun's Echo Fighter, to get both of the Musou classics in. Lu Bu can be a boss or something, and Cao Cao or Nobunaga a costume for the Mii Swordfighter. Include a cute girl or two (Sun Shangxiang isn't too scantily clad IIRC, and doubles as a pinch of Wu) in the Spirit selection.

33 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I second the "eww" on that ship. Dante deserves better than the gross hair-suit woman.

Doesn't Dante already have a woman named Trish or something? Maybe Bayo or Dante could make a threesome joke, but go no further than that and leave things as a loose battlefield badass rivalry that turns into cooperation when confronted with a common threat.

I've this weird feeling where I wouldn't want any additional characters added to Smash b/c too much 3rd party ruins it. But I'm not seriously going to assert said feeling, knowing that Smash has little 1st party growth room left but I still want Elma, and not being of the mind that Smash must stop expanding either. Maybe I'm just being crotchety conservative, but I do not yearn for any "good old days" that don't exist.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd say so, particularly with all the liberties Musou takes with its historical inspirations. Zhang He anyone?

Whilst as a character I prefer Nobunaga and Cao Cao, I'd take Yukimura or... *has to look up name again* Zhao Yun as a Smash playable.

The fact I couldn't remember Zhao's name offhand indicates I don't really notice him all that much, but he and Yukimura are polearm users (admittedly, so is Lu Bu). Lu Bu has been intraseries memey, but Zhao Yun and Yukimura are franchise posterboys who find themselves plastered onto the boxart for every game.

If they really wanted to, they could easily make Yukimura Zhao Yun's Echo Fighter, to get both of the Musou classics in. Lu Bu can be a boss or something, and Cao Cao or Nobunaga a costume for the Mii Swordfighter. Include a cute girl or two (Sun Shangxiang isn't too scantily clad IIRC, and doubles as a pinch of Wu) in the Spirit selection.

Doesn't Dante already have a woman named Trish or something? Maybe Bayo or Dante could make a threesome joke, but go no further than that and leave things as a loose battlefield badass rivalry that turns into cooperation when confronted with a common threat.

I've this weird feeling where I wouldn't want anyone more added to Smash b/c too much 3rd party ruins it. But I'm not seriously going to assert said feeling, knowing that Smash has little 1st party growth room left but I still want Elma, and not being of the mind that Smash must stop expanding either. Maybe I'm just being crotchety conservative, but I do not yearn for any "good old days" that don't exist.

Dante has two female teammates. Trish and Lady. But neither of these are romantic interests. And a relationship with Trish would be out of character, as their bond is largely built on her resemblance to his dead mother.

Nero, on the other hand, does have a steady partner, even if she never makes an appearance in DMC5. 

Oh, and Zhao Yun would be awesome for Smash. Not to enthused on Lu Bu. He's more boss or assist trophy material.

Edited by Etheus

32 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Dante has two female teammates. Trish and Lady. But neither of these are romantic interests.

Oh, so I guess this was just a total joke then? This is all I've ever seen of Dante with one of his female friends.:

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

but's that's purely because of Disney.

Except Disney have apparently said that they are fine with Sora being in Smash. It's just a question if Sakurai wants to deal with the hassle of negotiating with them.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Yeah, I would still discount Mike Tyson, just as I discount Goku and Geralt despite their video game legacies. Are they impossible? No, Sakurai could always surprise us. But he's gone on record within the year saying he can't see anime and manga characters getting added, and yeah, that's a specific medium, but I don't see why it wouldn't extend to other non-video game characters.

The James Bond thing is weird, but it was also during the development of the second game in the series, a long time ago now and when such personal rules may not have been considered yet because the series was still finding its focus. If you're not going to accept stuff Sakurai said in Brawl's development, I'm not going to take stuff he said in Melee's development.

I don't take anything as definitive, that's my point.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Ship them? Eww. No, fans just debate who would win in a fight and when we're going to get that crossover game.

And who the hell is Chrono? It's Crono. 

Chrono is the series.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've this weird feeling where I wouldn't want any additional characters added to Smash b/c too much 3rd party ruins it. But I'm not seriously going to assert said feeling, knowing that Smash has little 1st party growth room left but I still want Elma, and not being of the mind that Smash must stop expanding either. Maybe I'm just being crotchety conservative, but I do not yearn for any "good old days" that don't exist.

Eww. Trish is Dante's mother.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Dante has two female teammates. Trish and Lady. But neither of these are romantic interests. And a relationship with Trish would be out of character, as their bond is largely built on her resemblance to his dead mother.

Nero, on the other hand, does have a steady partner, even if she never makes an appearance in DMC5. 

Oh, and Zhao Yun would be awesome for Smash. Not to enthused on Lu Bu. He's more boss or assist trophy material.

Isn't there a girl in the second game too? I think she's even playable. I've only played the first and third games.

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Except Disney have apparently said that they are fine with Sora being in Smash. It's just a question if Sakurai wants to deal with the hassle of negotiating with them.

Disney: "Were fine with it, if you give us tonnes of money. Were fine with anything if you give us tonnes of money."

Edited by Jotari

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Chrono is the series.

Eww. Trish is Dante's mother.

Isn't there a girl in the second game too? I think she's even playable. I've only played the first and third games.

Disney: "Were fine with it, if you give us tonnes of money. Were fine with anything if you give us tonnes of money."

There was a 2nd game?

(No one speaks of that game. Not even Capcom).

55 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I mean, okay, I get that, but there comes a point where something is so unlikely that the minuscule chance isn't worth considering. Sakurai outright stating something won't happen in Smash is enough for me to believe it, well, won't happen.

11 minutes ago, Florete said:

I mean, okay, I get that, but there comes a point where something is so unlikely that the minuscule chance isn't worth considering. Sakurai outright stating something won't happen in Smash is enough for me to believe it, well, won't happen.

That's why there's no specific character I think has a decent chance. I just object to it as a law, because time and time again people have tried to divine rules for Smash Bros. participants and have been proven wrong. Even when Sakurai says "We can't do this" the character can still appear in the next game.

It's really hard to tell who it could be. These five characters were all presumably decided before the decision that there would be five more, so they were chosen as if it were only going to be these five. Some of them were fairly straightforward to predict (namely DQ Hero), but now a lot of the obvious choices (and some less obvious choices) have already been picked. 

The only pattern so far is that all four previous DLC fighters were third-party characters and protagonists of their respective games. But there's no guarantee that the pattern will continue, and even if it does, that hardly narrows it down. 

Meryl existing in Metal Gear Solid didn't stop either Smash or its fans from teasing Samus/Snake. So even if Dante does have a girl in DMC, that won't stop fans from shipping him with Bayonetta on account of his being a cambion (a half-human, half-demon) and she being a witch who works with demons. Plus the fact they're both dark but not evil anti-heroes with a penchant for flashy brawling. And I can verify there is fan art of the couple.

At any rate, I'm a "more, the merrier" kind of guy, so I'm fine with Dante getting in. I wouldn't mind repping most of the major third party franchises in Smash, truth be told. A partial list here, with some viable reps:

• Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Koei
  • Sol Badguy - Guilty Gear, Arc System Works
  • Ragna the Bloodedge - BlazBlue, Arc System Works
  • Sub Zero - Mortal Kombat, Warner Bros.
  • Shantae - WayForward Technologies
  • Crash Bandicoot - Activision
  • Spyro the Dragon - Activision
  • Yooka & Laylee - Playtonic
  • Dragonborn - Elder Scrolls, Bethesda
  • Doom Slayer - Doom, id Software
  • Prince of Persia - Ubisoft
  • Sam Fisher - Splinter Cell, Ubisoft
  • Ryu - Breath of Fire, Capcom
  • S.T.A.R.S. (Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire) - Resident Evil, Capcom
  • Dante - Devil May Cry, Capcom
  • Viewtiful Joe - Capcom
  • Lara Croft - Tomb Raider, Square Enix
  • Randi - Mana, Square Enix
  • Crono - Chrono Trigger, Square Enix

Granted, there isn't near enough room for all of these right now, but these are what I consider to be the most likely options. Companies who have yet to get a playable rep, such as Tecmo and Activision, take higher priority than companies with an established presence in Smash, like Capcom and Konami.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Is a spirit, which deconfirms her.

And what's stopping them from retroactively editing the current Shantae Spirit's name to say Shantae (Half-Genie Hero)? I mean, we have Link (The Legend of Zelda), Link (Link's Awakening), and Link (A Link Between Worlds).

Granted, if Shantae were part of the roster from the get-go, we could have a ton of Shantae Spirits, including transformations, costume variants, and game variants of Shantae herself, in addition to the diverse suite of supporting characters and antagonists. As is we'd get eleven at the most, going by previous Spirit Boards.

Edited by Lord_Brand

4 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I mean, we have Link (The Legend of Zelda), Link (Link's Awakening), and Link (A Link Between Worlds).

None of which are the same Link as the one in Breath of the Wild (i.e. the current Link that's a playable character).

1 hour ago, Michelaar said:

How do you figure that? I don't think them being spirit necessarily deconfirms a character.

I agree with this, that's like using the argument that assist trophies cant be characters, and the Little Mac came along and changed that. It's silly to believe the character has no chance at all.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I agree with this, that's like using the argument that assist trophies cant be characters, and the Little Mac came along and changed that.

You seem to have forgotten that only happened in Smash 4, which was the game after he featured as an assist trophy. If Brawl had DLC, he wouldn't have been promoted to playable in that game.

And that matters how?

Those Link spirits aren't the same Link as the one that is playable.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

6 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Is a spirit, which deconfirms her.

There's an argument to be made that DLC #5 won't be someone who has a spirit, but after that is fair game. The second wave certainly wasn't planned with the base game and Sakurai isn't going to deny someone because there's already a PNG of them in the game. The same logic got Lucas and Mewtwo into Smash 4 despite them already having trophies.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

You seem to have forgotten that only happened in Smash 4, which was the game after he featured as an assist trophy. If Brawl had DLC, he wouldn't have been promoted to playable in that game.

They also said Ridley is too big to be in smash, that didn't last long, either.  Anything can happen, really.

Exactly. Mario has a squidload of Spirits, no reason Shantae couldn't have more than one. Only, since she'd be DLC at this point they wouldn't have room for a lot of variant Spirits. But it would be easy to give her variants in a future Smash, between her transformations, costumes, and official design changes.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, Perkilator said:

I made a support thread for Claude von Riegan on SmashBoards. I now unapologetically want him in because I not only adore him as a character, but he’s got FANTASTIC moveset potential as well.

Personally, I think that no one lord from FE Three Houses should be in Smash; either all of them at once, or none of them.