Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

Actually, that's the opposite. The first Doom was ported for the SNES, and Doom 2 was also ported the Gameboy Advance. There was also a spin off Doom title exclusively for the Nintendo 64. Not to mention, Doom 4's been ported to the Switch, and Doom Eternal is following suit. So yeah, Doom does in fact have history with Nintendo.

Via ports only. Ports don't mean anything. The only thing Doom has going for it is that one 64 spinoff. That's not a whole lot of history pal.

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

Bayonetta was also deemed to be "too violent for Smash", and look how well that mentality turned out.

Fine, fair point.

13 minutes ago, Roland said:

Master Chief's Xbox exclusive. Unless that whole rumor about Nintendo and Microsoft working together turns out to be a collaboration to put Halo games on the Switch or something, he doesn't stand a chance.

The fact that there's a rumor about Nintendo and Microsoft teaming up only helps the Chief's case. Why else would Microsoft team up with Nintendo? It can't be to put Minecraft on the Switch. The only thing it could be is either to get Banjo re-released on the Switch, or to put Halo on the Switch, and my money's on the latter. That's the only explanation as to why the two are working together.

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

.....You do realize Doomguy was a thing a whole entire decade before Halo existed, right?

Well, even if that's true, everything Doomguy did, Master Chief did better. He's more badass, and he's more popular with gaming. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Via ports only. Ports don't mean anything. The only thing Doom has going for it is that one 64 spinoff. That's not a whole lot of history pal. 

How? How does porting you game to multiple Nintendo consoles not count as proof of a history with said console brand? 

Also, if we're going to use you're logic, then Joker is in the same situation as Doomguy. He had only one appearance on the 3DS, and that was a spin-off. Yet look where we are.

6 minutes ago, Decerd said:

The fact that there's a rumor about Nintendo and Microsoft teaming up only helps the Chief's case. Why else would Microsoft team up with Nintendo? It can't be to put Minecraft on the Switch. The only thing it could be is either to get Banjo re-released on the Switch, or to put Halo on the Switch, and my money's on the latter. That's the only explanation as to why the two are working together.

Dude, first of all, this a rumor, which means it might not even be true, and second, if there is a collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft, how can you be so sure it's to get Master Chief in Smash? We don't know jack about what said collaboration is about. I'm not denying the possibility, I'm just saying if this is actually happening, it could be for something entirely different. 

9 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Well, even if that's true, everything Doomguy did, Master Chief did better. He's more badass, and he's more popular with gaming. 

You're opinion. Didn't know you hated Doomguy so much, but alright. And yes, it is true that Doom came out a decade before Halo. Google it.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

See, this is why I said the argument would devolve into this. And I'll say it again I don't have to prove Plant is more popular than Joker since it's not relavant to my argument. So please cut it out.

Sorry, I misread what you said there.

What I said was that Plant didn't get a release trailer, this is not one of those. I said he got even less than a release trailer in terms of fan fare on release, which is exactly right until you move the goal post like this. Because by this standard, Joker ALSO already got his "release trailer" on December 7 at the Game Awards, and AGAIN at the February Direct.

Well, I'm the one who mentioned a Piranha Plant trailer in the first place, so I don't see how I'm moving any goal posts. I guess I should have specified that I meant gameplay trailer, but there's a clear difference in the PP announcement trailer and the Joker one.

Actually I'm honestly not quite sure what you mean to say here at all.

Just because it's 15 minutes long it's a Direct? That's it, I'm out. I can't sit here and argue semantics a moment longer. I wish I was wrong so that I wouldn't have to deal with these notifications. Go ahead and get the last word in so that this can be over.

Holy crap man calm down. Sorry if I said something that got to you, this was all just normal conversation to me (and a few misunderstandings as I noted above). What I said was, and I quote:

15 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't predict a general Nintendo direct, but I'd be shocked if there's no Smash presentation before Joker releases.

I won't pretend what happened is exactly as I predicted since I expected an announcement prior and a livestream, but in terms of content it is pretty much what I expected it to be. So it's less than I implied overall, but it's also more than you implied. If you disagree with that assessment, fine, but if you don't want to say anymore then just don't say anymore. I can't carry a conversation with myself, after all, and I won't think any less of you if you just stop responding.

How? How does porting you game to multiple Nintendo consoles not count as proof of a history with said console brand? 

It's marginal history. Unless you're developing games specifically to said console, it doesn't count as history.

Also, if we're going to use you're logic, then Joker is in the same situation as Doomguy. He had only one appearance on the 3DS, and that was a spin-off. Yet look where we are.

That's because unlike Doom, Persona is actually a good series of video games.

how can you be so sure it's to get Master Chief in Smash? . 

Because it's motherfucking Halo! You know, the series Microsoft is for?! Hello?! What else could such a collaboration be other than Banjo?

You're opinion. Didn't know you hated Doomguy so much, but alright. And yes, it is true that Doom came out a decade before Halo. Google it.

Yes, it is my opinion, jerk. Doom is a part of Bethesda, the second worst company in existence next to EA. Doomguy is nothing but a Bethesda dog. Who cares if he was here first? Doomguy is a Bethesda dog, and like all Bethesda propeties, they need to stay far away from Smash. 

It's marginal history. Unless you're developing games specifically to said console, it doesn't count as history.

So according to you, porting a game to a Nintendo console does not count as history with Nintendo...Even though you porting it to a Nintendo console. Right.

4 minutes ago, Decerd said:

That's because unlike Doom, Persona is actually a good series of video games.

Again, your opinion.

Because it's motherfucking Halo! You know, the series Microsoft is for?! Hello?! What else could such a collaboration be other than Banjo?

I never said it couldn't be Halo. I'm just saying, it could be something entirely else, and I think you should keep you expectations reasonable. Plus, this is a rumor. Never put your faith in rumors.

6 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Yes, it is my opinion, jerk. Doom is a part of Bethesda, the second worst company in existence next to EA. Doomguy is nothing but a Bethesda dog. Who cares if he was here first? Doomguy is a Bethesda dog, and like all Bethesda propeties, they need to stay far away from Smash. 

Wow, the venom is real here. Look, hate Doomguy all you want. It won't stop me for rooting for a place in Smash for him. You want to hate Doom? Fine. But at least have the decency to not be an asshat about it towards those that do want him, alright?

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

So according to you, porting a game to a Nintendo console does not count as history with Nintendo...Even though you porting it to a Nintendo console. Right.

Dude. PORTS. DO. NOT. COUNT. I have no idea why you're persisting in this nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Again, your opinion.

That you seem to have a rather defensive attitude towards.

I never said it couldn't be Halo. I'm just saying, it could be something entirely else, and I think you should keep you expectations reasonable. 

Microsoft and Nintendo collaberation to put games on the Switch. Microsoft is know for Halo. Do the math.

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Wow, the venom is real here. Look, hate Doomguy all you want. It won't stop me for rooting for a place in Smash for him. You want to hate Doom? Fine. But at least have the decency to not be an asshat about it towards those that do want him, alright?

Venom that's well deserved. The fact that you're defending them is beyond me, but it's a defense that will amount to nothing. Also, nice insult you threw at me. Guess you really don't like those with a different view, huh?

Dude. PORTS. DO. NOT. COUNT. I have no idea why you're persisting in this nonsense.

Same to you. I don't get how you can say that ports don't count as history, but whatever.

That you seem to have a rather defensive attitude towards.

More like an opinion that you seem to treat as fact. No offense.

Microsoft and Nintendo collaberation to put games on the Switch. Microsoft is know for Halo. Do the math.

Very well, believe a rumor. Just don't come crying to me if doesn't happen to be true, like a good portion of rumors nowadays.

Venom that's well deserved. The fact that you're defending them is beyond me, but it's a defense that will amount to nothing. Also, nice insult you threw at me. Guess you really don't like those with a different view, huh?

Because I like Doom. I don't support Bethesda, I support Doom. There's a difference. I don't care what you view on Doom, Bethesda, or anything else is. People can pull and not pull for whatever characters the do and do not want to pull for. What I won't take is someone being a passive aggressive jerk towards other people about. 

Also, you're not innocent when it comes to insults, amigo.

26 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Yes, it is my opinion, jerk. 

Same to you. I don't get how you can say that ports don't count as history, but whatever.

More like an opinion that you seem to treat as fact. No offense.

Very well, believe a rumor. Just don't come crying to me if doesn't happen to be true, like a good portion of rumors nowadays.

Because I like Doom. I don't support Bethesda, I support Doom. There's a difference. I don't care what you view on Doom, Bethesda, or anything else is. People can pull and not pull for whatever characters the do and do not want to pull for. What I won't take is someone being a passive aggressive jerk towards other people about. 

Also, you're not innocent when it comes to insults, amigo.

Ugh, screw this. I'm outta here. I've got far better things to do than sit here and let you assault me with your vile words and twisted view on reality.

Edited by Decerd

Ugh, screw this. I'm outta here. I've got far better things to do than sit here and let you assault me with your vile words and twisted view on reality.

"Assault me with you vile words and twisted view of reality." Well, that's certainly a new one.

Edited by Roland

Just now thought about it but I guess the whole Jane/female alt with ponytail thing is deconfirmed now too since it turns out Joker's alternate costume is just him in his Shujin Academy uniform. Personally thought the rumors behind that was bogus anyways and didn't really wanted a female Joker or the P5R girl anyways.

I wonder if those mii outfits means the next 4 fighters are going to be base on 3rd parties

Then again, none of the Virtua Fighters mii outfits return so I guess that chucks that theory out.

Edited by Zangetsu

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a fake gun so that's probably the reason. Its just that enemies believing the gun is real allows the Thieves to use them as if actual firearms. 

Ah; that explains it. Thanks. Shows how little I know about the Persona games, though I've never actually played them, to be honest.

Does that mean that Claude Wallace from Valkyria Chronicles 4 still wouldn't be a viable candidate because of the use of guns?

Edited by vanguard333

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a fake gun so that's probably the reason. Its just that enemies believing the gun is real allows the Thieves to use them as if actual firearms. 

The cognitive philosophy/science shenanigans at work? Taking the, from what I've heard secondhand, North American localization of the P3 Evokers, to another level?

I'd then ask why he isn't carrying something more than a handgun, say rocket launcher, but making a realistic fake one of those sounds much, much more difficult. Not like they need one when there is plenty of magic and physical skills able to do what a rocket launcher could and more.

Although not having played P5 due to lack of interest, maybe one of the other heroes has a fake rocket launcher. Like how Digital Devil Saga gives Serph and Sera handguns, Argilla a sniper rifle, Heat a grenade launcher, Gale an assault rifle, Cielo a machine gun, and Roland a shotgun.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The cognitive philosophy/science shenanigans at work? Taking the, from what I've heard secondhand, North American localization of the P3 Evokers, to another level?

I'd then ask why he isn't carrying something more than a handgun, say rocket launcher, but making a realistic fake one of those sounds much, much more difficult. Not like they need one when there is plenty of magic and physical skills able to do what a rocket launcher could and more.

Although not having played P5 due to lack of interest, maybe one of the other heroes has a fake rocket launcher. Like how Digital Devil Saga gives Serph and Sera handguns, Argilla a sniper rifle, Heat a grenade launcher, Gale an assault rifle, Cielo a machine gun, and Roland a shotgun.

Every party member uses a different gun that fits them thematically. Joker's stealth-oriented look makes the dagger and pistol fit him thematically. There are other party members who use shotguns, slingshots, submachine guns, assault rifles, revolvers, and, yes, rocket launchers.

2 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

So, it is almost 7 am where I am at. Is the update out?

Almost midnight in Japan now and no sign of the update. Those liars! It's not coming until the 18th for me!

2 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Mmh... well then.

I have been told it’s later today, but I dunno.

You're missing my point. The day ends in twenty minutes for me, so it's tomorrow, not later today.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The other Thieves have fake weapons of other sorts like shotguns or machine guns. I believe one of them does indeed have a fake rocket launcher.

7 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Just now thought about it but I guess the whole Jane/female alt with ponytail thing is deconfirmed now too since it turns out Joker's alternate costume is just him in his Shujin Academy uniform. Personally thought the rumors behind that was bogus anyways and didn't really wanted a female Joker or the P5R girl anyways.

That was a datamine and it was real (if it wasn't some other dataminer would have debunked it), but it never needed to be related to Joker.

Since Joker's coming out later today, this closes the book on one of the more well known Smash Ultimate DLC leaks: Erdrick. Is Erdrick deconfirmed entirely? No, but the leak that said he was coming is now false.

The leak got Mementos right but Jack Frost is nowhere to be seen. 

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Since Joker's coming out later today, this closes the book on one of the more well known Smash Ultimate DLC leaks: Erdrick. Is Erdrick deconfirmed entirely? No, but the leak that said he was coming is now false.

Obviously it's fake, Square would never "actively collaborate" with Smash on anything.

The only reliable thing Erdrick has going for him (and rumors/"leaks" aren't reliable) is the placeholder for "Brave", which combined with Dragon Quest's popularity means he has better chances than most characters.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This conversation assumes that what is happens to be what was. 

Development is subject to change, and it is very possible that Joker, in early development, was intended to utilize his Wild Card ability and have other personas in his moveset. 

I wouldn't take this as a deconfirmation of that leak, because it did predict the frankly absurd existence of a Granblue fighting game, but I also wouldn't accept the leak as legitimate without further evidence either.