Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

38 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think anyone who's been a verteran of four games is going to get cut. Hell I'd say anyone that got into three consecutive games has a slim chance of being cut, unless for technical reasons like Ice Climbers. The likes of Falco might not really deserve to be in Smash, but they're there now and they're staying.

Oh, I never said Jigglypuff actually had any shot of getting the axe. The fact that it has its own unique moveset plus the reason you given is the only thing Puff has going for it (albeit a weak one imo). I was just grumbling that if I had my way, I wouldn’t keep Puff in. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Oh, I never said Jigglypuff actually had any shot of getting the axe. The fact that it has its own unique moveset plus the reason you given is the only thing Puff has going for it (albeit a weak one imo). I was just grumbling that if I had my way, I wouldn’t keep Puff in. 

Jigglypuff also has the fact that it is one of the original 12, and a lot of people are waiting for it to return to it’s Melee days, where it dominated the air.

33 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Jigglypuff also has the fact that it is one of the original 12, and a lot of people are waiting for it to return to it’s Melee days, where it dominated the air.

This is a statement to some peoples dedication http://buffpuff.club/

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

This is a statement to some peoples dedication http://buffpuff.club/

Wow, didn’t expect that.

Though to be fair, Jigglypuff does have a very unique style, and I would really like to that style buffed. We have other characters who are good at air combat, but Puff still has the biggest potential.

10 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Umm... Lucario isn't Mewtwo at all. Aside from being a humanoid Pokemon with a chargeable neutral special (in that case, why not slap Greninja into this comparison?).

Mewtwo also has an announcer call-out in Brawl's files (same as Roy), which more or less tells you that he was still part of the roster at a reasonably late stage in development.

You might have had a point if you hadn't made a statement as blatantly incorrect as this.

I probably(Definitely) could have worded that better, but the point was that they took a similar concept and reworked it for Lucario. Instead of psychic powers and psychic energy balls, Mewtwo got axed and was replaced by a Pokemon that used aura powers and used aura balls. Up close they're a lot different, but visually, especially with their ranged stuff, they resemble each other a lot more than they resemble any other fighter, down to having nearly the same exact neutral Smash, with nearly the same exact pose.

I'm hoping they improve character unlocks this time around. Not the actual requirements, Smash 4 had the best unlock requirements because i didn't have to leave the game on for 4000 hours but like, Smash 4 only had like what, 5 unlockable characters? Increase the number of unlocks but keep the requirements reasonable. 

I felt like Brawl was pretty decent with its unlocking. XD It's a shame there won't be a story mode. Hell, I'd settle for a sort of arcade-style story.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm hoping they improve character unlocks this time around. Not the actual requirements, Smash 4 had the best unlock requirements because i didn't have to leave the game on for 4000 hours but like, Smash 4 only had like what, 5 unlockable characters? Increase the number of unlocks but keep the requirements reasonable. 

I always loved the weird character unlock stuff.

I remember when Smash 1 came out, and the internet wasn't really a thing. My friends, my cousin and I all had different theories on how to unlock characters, and as far as we knew, there was always somebody left to unlock. Going over to a friend's house and seeing a character they had that I didn't, or vice-versa always got a conversation going.

Obviously times are different. I'm 26 now, and a far more robust internet is in my pocket at all times so I really don't have to rely on friends and family to figure stuff out, but I still enjoy the unlocking process. Might just be because of my fond memories, but I wasn't a fan of stuff like Brawl where you could just unlock everything by going through SE.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know I was thinking the same thing. As much I liked the fact that you didn’t have to put much effort into getting the entire cast, I didn’t like the fact that there were so few unlocks so everything was done in no time. I’d like about 15 or so unlockable characters in the style of Brawl. Not like 64 because the requirements were too specific (sorry Slumber), or Melee since it can take forever. 

Also I hope Wario isn’t unlockable this time. That choice made so little sense.

27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I probably(Definitely) could have worded that better, but the point was that they took a similar concept and reworked it for Lucario. Instead of psychic powers and psychic energy balls, Mewtwo got axed and was replaced by a Pokemon that used aura powers and used aura balls. Up close they're a lot different, but visually, especially with their ranged stuff, they resemble each other a lot more than they resemble any other fighter, down to having nearly the same exact neutral Smash, with nearly the same exact pose.

But for a large chunk of development, both co-existed; Lucario didn't "replace" Mewtwo in any real fashion. There was no conceptual "re-work"; how many other ways would you animate charging up a ball of energy that goes straightforward? Again, Greninja has just as many similarities. They're humanoid Pokemon with a chargeable projectile as a neutral special... and that's more or less where the similarities end.

6 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Not like 64 because the requirements were too specific (sorry Slumber)

I didn't think they were that specific.

Jigglypuff: Beat the game.

Luigi: Beat target mode.

Ness: Beat the game without losing stock.

Captain Falcon: Beat the game quickly.

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

But for a large chunk of development, both co-existed; Lucario didn't "replace" Mewtwo in any real fashion. There was no conceptual "re-work"; how many other ways would you animate charging up a ball of energy that goes straightforward? Again, Greninja has just as many similarities. They're humanoid Pokemon with a chargeable projectile as a neutral special... and that's more or less where the similarities end.

Mewtwo got cut, Lucario didn't. Even if Mewtwo was planned, somewhere along the line, Lucario was prioritized. Likely because Lucario was part of a newer generation, and did share similarities(It wasn't just the animation between Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball. The charge-up time was the same and the damage was similar. Mewtwo's just had a higher base damage while Lucario's got higher the more damage he took) to Mewtwo. Even if the choice to cut Mewtwo wasn't replacement from the outset, the way it turned out felt very much like "replacement".

You know the faint theme that we heard in the trailer? Someone took that and made a mock-up of what he thinks the main theme for Smash 5 will be. It's pretty good.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Might just be because of my fond memories, but I wasn't a fan of stuff like Brawl where you could just unlock everything by going through SE.

Yeah, i can understand that. I personally liked unlocking everyone through SSE because Brawl was my first Smash and i was legitimately bad at the game at the time so having so having a mostly effortless to unlock characters was perfect for me. Of course, i'm way more skilled now so i'd probably prefer unlocking the characters more traditionally, so long as the requirements are pretty reasonable. I haven't played Smash 64 but from what i can tell, Smash 64's requirements were nothing absurd like Melee's so i'd take something along Smash 64's unlock requirements.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Funny you should say that, because Sakurai said that originally in the Wii U version, all characters would have been available from the start, but since people liked unlocking stuff, he made some characters unlockable. Thinking about it, lots of fighting games these days have the entire cast unlocked from the start.

I must admit, I do miss the days where you had to unlock stuff by doing some crazy things. It felt more “special”.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

What? That's exactly how it works. Sakurai said Chrom got in over Robin because he's a more unique fighter.  Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Wii Fit Fighter! Being a unique fighter is a massive boon for getting into the game. I would agree with Silver, I'd rather have Cranky over Dixie. He has more appearances, more importance to the Donkey Kong series and he could make for an absolutely hilarious fighter. I'd probably rather King K Rool over Cranky, because I want more heavy weights, but if they decided to throw Cranky into the fray, I wouldn't be disapointed at all (fun fact, he's actually already been in Smash, given he's the original Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong in the first Smash Bros. is called a former enemy of Mario's which wasn't t rue of Donkey Kong Jr at the time).

What you're saying here isn't wrong (except you switched Robin and Chrom), but that's not what the quote I responded to was saying, or at least not how it came off to me. It was the logic that only one of them would be chosen regardless of how unique they'd be, whereas if Dixie were a clone or something that wouldn't effect Cranky's chances in any way.

And I really just don't understand how people don't see the unique potential in Dixie. You can make an entire moveset out of that hair, easily.

9 minutes ago, Florete said:

What you're saying here isn't wrong (except you switched Robin and Chrom), but that's not what the quote I responded to was saying, or at least not how it came off to me. It was the logic that only one of them would be chosen regardless of how unique they'd be, whereas if Dixie were a clone or something that wouldn't effect Cranky's chances in any way.

And I really just don't understand how people don't see the unique potential in Dixie. You can make an entire moveset out of that hair, easily.

I wouldn't mind Dixie. You could throw in a Tiny cameo while you're at it for some moves.

And even if not the hair, which definitely has possibilities, Dixie could utilize the DK animals like Rambi, Enguarde and Squawks. There's a lot to work with in DKC that she could utilize.

However, I expect Funky Kong to get in if there's another DK character. He's a meme that Nintendo clearly recognizes.

Edited by Slumber

Eventhough 95% of these aren't even plausible I did the post anyways 

You have to click the tweet to see the chain. Just things i'd like, no logic behind it for once.

19 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I wonder what songs they would remake, too. Hoping for some gooood stuff.

So long as they do not restrict themselves to a two minute time limit.

10 hours ago, Florete said:

Ah, right. Yes, I agree completely.

I could see Dixie Kong getting in since she's pretty well liked and if they decide to add a fourth Donkey Kong character I wouldn't be surprised if it was Funky Kong. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Cranky Kong either who would be fun.

so I'm just going to speak my peace on this and say that without a doubt in my mind I beleive that this is a 100% port with extra characters and features.

I know what people are going to say, and I have yet to read the entire thread, but what you see as the copyright date where namco bandai should be there isn't because this is just a trailer, and smash bros has a nintendo/hal labs copyright sticker on the logo of every game as that's the studio it originally came from, like how in TMS there was a Nintendo IS copyright on it

50 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

so I'm just going to speak my peace on this and say that without a doubt in my mind I beleive that this is a 100% port with extra characters and features.

I know what people are going to say, and I have yet to read the entire thread, but what you see as the copyright date where namco bandai should be there isn't because this is just a trailer, and smash bros has a nintendo/hal labs copyright sticker on the logo of every game as that's the studio it originally came from, like how in TMS there was a Nintendo IS copyright on it

That is not even the only reason we think it's a new game though. You really can't be 100% sure at this point. You are definitly kidding yourself if that's what you think.

5 minutes ago, Nym said:

I mean... almost 4 years is enough for a new smash game.

That aside, will Chrom finally get his chance?

They could make Chrom an Ike alt. He does fits Ike moveset.

Speaking of alts, I wonder if Bowser Jr. and Koopalings will return.