Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

20 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

They actually said the base roster is really small, like, only the 64 crew, and everybody else has to be unlocked.

Which I like, I LOVE unlocking characters and watching the roster grow.

Love that too. Plus, with just how many unlocks there will be, you'll probably get them fairly frequently to start.

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

On the Smash website, they have  short 20 second videos for every character. Some of them have a few little things we didn't know about, like Roy's Map 1 song, and Ike's Eruption now makes a forward moving explosion:

Why isn't Doc a "Echo" character? Anyway, I like Lucina's portrait even if she has a weird designation.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall this is pleasing. I don't think everyone needed to come back but it's pretty cool since everyone has fans. Sure, Takamaru and Bomberman are Assist Trophies, but I suppose they'll get their chance, another day.

I'm also surprised to find that Snake's return is one of the things I'm most happy about. And even David Hayter is voicing him again! Kept you waiting, huh?

12 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Love that too. Plus, with just how many unlocks there will be, you'll probably get them fairly frequently to start.

Why isn't Doc a "Echo" character? Anyway, I like Lucina's portrait even if she has a weird designation.

Presumably for the same reason that Young Link, and Pichu aren't either?

Oh yeah, I also dig the nice touch of the Ikes being voiced a little differently! It shows that Ike grew up more in RD as compared to his PoR self. Such an awesome little tidbit! ^^

I'm falling in love with him all over again, I swear!

I’ve only played SSB on the 3DS for a few minutes, so is there someone who could alleviate my ignorance of which 8 characters were the ones you first started with on the 64 version? I really hope one of them was Link or Marth. Don’t really want to start the game out using a character I don’t love, but I guess it wouldn’t be long before I unlocked someone I enjoyed.

Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Samus (Powersuit), Yoshi, Fox McCloud and Pikachu.

With unlockable Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Luigi.

Edited by Dai

3 minutes ago, Liliesgrace said:

I’ve only played SSB on the 3DS for a few minutes, so is there someone who could alleviate my ignorance of which 8 characters were the ones you first started with on the 64 version? I really hope one of them was Link or Marth. Don’t really want to start the game out using a character I don’t love, but I guess it wouldn’t be long before I unlocked someone I enjoyed.

There were no FE characters in Smash 64 at all.

I believe the N64 starting roster was Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, Yoshi, Samus, and Fox. The four unlockables were Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Captain Falcon.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, I also dig the nice touch of the Ikes being voiced a little differently! It shows that Ike grew up more in RD as compared to his PoR self. Such an awesome little tidbit! ^^

I'm falling in love with him all over again, I swear!

Quite certain it's Greg Chun this time around too. The main reveal video only had him say a few things, but in the Treehouse section, one of the presenters picked him and it sounded like Greg really brought the performance.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

There were no FE characters in Smash 64 at all.

I believe the N64 starting roster was Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Bowser, Yoshi, Samus, and Fox. The four unlockables were Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Falcon.

Oh awesome, I can hopefully use Link and/or Pikachu then from the start! Are the Robins/Corrins going to be split in acquiring like in Fire Emblem Warriors or will be if you get one you have the other gender by changing skins/costumes?

Just now, Johann said:

Quite certain it's Greg Chun this time around too. The main reveal video only had him say a few things, but in the Treehouse section, one of the presenters picked him and it sounded like Greg really brought the performance.

Yeah, it's probably him, though I do think he does a very good Jason Adkins impression, so you never know. But regardless, yeah, Ike sounds great this time, though I think he could've had a bit more oomph in "Prepare yourself" like he had in previous games. Though it IS Ike and he is stoic and not very emotional.

1 minute ago, Liliesgrace said:

Oh awesome, I can hopefully use Link and/or Pikachu then from the start! Are the Robins/Corrins going to be split in acquiring like in Fire Emblem Warriors or will be if you get one you have the other gender by changing skins/costumes?

Alt skin available just by switching like per usual. Obtained simply by unlocking Robin or Corrin.

I'm gonna miss the TP designs. They were the best ones, personally. Zelda went from "Dignified Queen" back to "Innocent Princess". As for OoT Ganon, I could never stand the nose. Otherwise, the swords are great.

6 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Maybe they got altered or only Smash 4 clones and beyond count.

That, or the originals have changed over the years and said clones are more or less unchanged and as such, represent said OG characters old moveset. At least, that's how most people justified Dr Mario before. I'd imagine that this is the same case for returning characters, with a little finishing touches here and there.

Also, agreed on Lucy's portrait too. If you look at her vid, you'll notice that they also included Destiny into the game (imo, the best battle theme from Awakening, alongside Divine Decree)

12 minutes ago, Motendra said:

I'm gonna miss the TP designs. They were the best ones, personally. Zelda went from "Dignified Queen" back to "Innocent Princess". As for OoT Ganon, I could never stand the nose. Otherwise, the swords are great.

That, or the originals have changed over the years and said clones are more or less unchanged and as such, represent said OG characters old moveset. At least, that's how most people justified Dr Mario before. I'd imagine that this is the same case for returning characters, with a little finishing touches here and there.

Also, agreed on Lucy's portrait too. If you look at her vid, you'll notice that they also included Destiny into the game (imo, the best battle theme from Awakening, alongside Divine Decree)

I love that she's back, but I wish they had started to declone her like Roy. At least she got a good portrait.

I didn't recognize the track. Sounded very...Irish I think which seemed odd, but I liked it. 

Also, English Marth! Hopefully Roy gets the same treatment.

Edited by Arthur97

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I love that she's back, but I wish they had started to declone her like Roy. At least she got a good portrait.

I didn't recognize the track. Sounded very...Irish I think which seemed odd, but I liked it. 

Also, English Marth! Hopefully Roy gets the same treatment.

Well, I know Ray Chase legit likes Roy, so perhaps so. Otherwise, he'll be the odd one out, which would be awkward consistency-wise.

Also, yeah, new Smash rocks. Worried about the possible small amount of new characters, but then again, Sakurai's known for his trolling. :P

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Well, I know Ray Chase legit likes Roy, so perhaps so. Otherwise, he'll be the odd one out, which would be awkward consistency-wise.

Also, yeah, new Smash rocks. Worried about the possible small amount of new characters, but then again, Sakurai's known for his trolling. :P

There is Cloud too, unless you mean only FE.

Honestly, with what we've got, I don't really need many new characters.

26 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Do you think they might have the TP designs as alts? I mean, you never know, right? (Side-note, new Zelda is hella cute tho. She's adorable)

Anywho I am so content with everything Smash right now. It's honestly more than I expected and I'm really glad about that. I do wonder if there are more new characters they haven't revealed though, and if not, then that's fine. Having every single character from all the games is quite enough.

Shulk being able to freely choose Monado Arts instead of cycling through each one should hopefully boost him on the tier-list.

God, i can't wait for this game. December is so close, yet so far.