Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Honestly, I am of the belief of all leaks are fake until proven true (I don't think I have ever seen a leak that 100% guessed everything correctly) and even though Gardevoir is a popular Pokémon Gothitelle alone makes me question the leak's validity (how popular is Gothitelle anyways?). Even Gardevoir is kind of a strange choice to me if they are picking from each generation since I always kind of assumed Blaziken (or any starter from Hoenn since all three of them are rather popular) was the face of Gen 3 . I have heard people joke about how Blaziken could be a Captain Falcon Echo Fighter for some time now. Though I honestly don't believe the smash devs care about having a playable rep from each gen but I still think will get at one new Pokémon rep regardless of which generation it is from.

Edited by NSSKG151

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echoes seem to be used to add a large number of characters who are popular but not terribly unique/low priority for whatever reason. Richter arguably doesn't meet that criteria, but he's  significant to his series and apparently is popular in Japan? In any case, Gothitelle is neither popular(AFAIK) nor particularly significant to her series, so I see no reason to believe she'd be added.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But I'm disappointed that Dixie Kong wasn't announced with K. Rool. I feel like this means she's not in. But I can still hope. I really want her, she's so cute and I feel she's overdue since she's been a major playable character in DK games for a long time now. She wouldn't be that hard to implement either since she has 3D models and can use a few of Diddy's moves with an alteration or two.

I'm confident that either her or Funky Kong are in the game, likely as echoes of Diddy Kong or Donkey Kong. I feel like they're gonna throw DK fans another bone.

17 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm confident that either her or Funky Kong are in the game, likely as echoes of Diddy Kong or Donkey Kong. I feel like they're gonna throw DK fans another bone.

Well, I hope that confidence is well-founded then! At least for Dixie.

When was K. Rool last really relevant? There was that one GBA King of Swing game I think, but his heyday was being the big bad in all three Donkey Kong Countries + 64. Strangely he hasn't appeared at all in the Returns DKC games, while Dixie got into Tropical Freeze, making him deader than her.

In other words, if K. Rool got put through the Cinnabar fossil resurrector, Dixie should hopefully be back as well. She is playable in two of three of the old DKC games too, as many as Diddy and more than DK (and why was Tiny invented instead of Dixie being in 64?). 

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When was K. Rool last really relevant?

K. Rool's last playable appearance prior to Ultimate was in Mario Super Sluggers, 10 years ago (great game btw). 

But i agree, if K. Rool is playable, then Dixie King has a decent chance, as a Diddy Kong Echo at least.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When was K. Rool last really relevant? There was that one GBA King of Swing game I think, but his heyday was being the big bad in all three Donkey Kong Countries + 64. Strangely he hasn't appeared at all in the Returns DKC games, while Dixie got into Tropical Freeze, making him deader than her.

In other words, if K. Rool got put through the Cinnabar fossil resurrector, Dixie should hopefully be back as well. She is playable in two of three of the old DKC games too, as many as Diddy and more than DK (and why was Tiny invented instead of Dixie being in 64?). 

Something I have oft wondered.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
1 hour ago, Jotari said:

She is playable in two of three of the old DKC games too, as many as Diddy and more than DK (and why was Tiny invented instead of Dixie being in 64?). 

Probably something along the lines of not wanting to risk people getting upset at Dixie having the ability to shrink when she didn't before.

39 minutes ago, Dai said:

Probably something along the lines of not wanting to risk people getting upset at Dixie having the ability to shrink when she didn't before.

What? Like people were all that annoyed that Diddy Kong suddenly had a Jetpack with twin pistols and the ability to generate earthquakes or play the guitar. Tiny Dixie King would only be as egregious as invincible Donkey Kong. If people got upset about characters having new abilities then absolutely nothing would change in a video game series. On the contrary, established characters getting new abilities is something fans generally get excited about, to the point where it's even used as the selling point if games.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

What? Like people were all that annoyed that Diddy Kong suddenly had a Jetpack with twin pistols and the ability to generate earthquakes or play the guitar. Tiny Dixie King would only be as egregious as invincible Donkey Kong.

Wasn't the jetpack given in-game? As for the rest, that's still odd, but yeah. Another explanation is they didn't like Dixie or something, or felt two games in a row with her was enough.

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

Wasn't the jetpack given in-game? As for the rest, that's still odd, but yeah. Another explanation is they didn't like Dixie or something, or felt two games in a row with her was enough.

Diddy gains and uses his Jetpack in an identical manner as to how Tiny uses her shrinking power (or Donkey Kong uses his lesser utilized invincibility power).

Just now, Jotari said:

Diddy gains and uses his Jetpack in an identical manner as to how Tiny uses her shrinking power (or Donkey Kong uses his lesser utilized invincibility power).

Ah. It's been a while since I saw the game.

If Dixie is an echo, wouldn't she have been revealed with K. Rool like Richter was with Simon? Robin and Lucina were revealed together for Smash 4 as well. This is why I worry about her chances now.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Actually looking at Super Mario Wiki (citing a 2018 Twitter post):

• When asked why Tiny was created for Donkey Kong 64 instead of featuring Dixie Kong as a player character, the game's character designer Mark Stevensonreplied that he could not recall clearly why but that "I guess we just loved creating new Kongs! I would say it would be because we wanted a character that fitted with the shrinking ability."[3]

-And yet they didn't invent a Jetty Kong to replace Diddy. While her twin ponytails are nice, it sounds like this unneeded Kong was invented in a bout of fun developmental drunkenness. Apparently after 64, they even dropped all reference of her being a sister to Dixie, so she is just there now (and the sister connection was possibly never said in Japan in the first place- Rare invented her, and Japan got the game a couple weeks after the US).

Don't quote me on this, but I heard when originally creating DK64 they had Dixie and Kiddy instead of Tiny and Chunky but somewhere along the way decided that they would only use Kongs from the original DKC and create new ones for the game.

If Dixie is an echo, wouldn't she have been revealed with K. Rool like Richter was with Simon? Robin and Lucina were revealed together for Smash 4 as well. This is why I worry about her chances now.

I think her chances are still good since Dark Samus wasn't revealed with Ridley. Richter was different because he's an Echo Fighter based on a newcomer, with the move set being based on both Simon and him.

1 minute ago, Laser Taro said:

I think her chances are still good since Dark Samus wasn't revealed with Ridley. Richter was different because he's an Echo Fighter based on a newcomer, with the move set being based on both Simon and him.

Yeah, I suppose so.

Dixie isn't King K. Rool's Echo, though, silly. :P Also, the concept of Echo characters wasn't really established in the Smash 4 days, so that's not much to go on, either. And don't forget that Chrom and Dark Samus were in the same direct as well without being alongside a fellow representative, and Dark Samus never showed up in Ridley's trailer.

Aaaaand I got ninja'd.

Edited by NoirCore

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Dixie isn't King K. Rool's Echo, though, silly. :P Also, the concept of Echo characters wasn't really established in the Smash 4 days, so that's not much to go on, either. And don't forget that Chrom and Dark Samus were in the same direct as well without being alongside a fellow representative, and Dark Samus never showed up in Ridley's trailer.

Aaaaand I got ninja'd.

I didn't say she would be... I meant if she's Diddy's echo.

But yeah, you got ninja'd on that second part. xP

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually looking at Super Mario Wiki (citing a 2018 Twitter post):

• When asked why Tiny was created for Donkey Kong 64 instead of featuring Dixie Kong as a player character, the game's character designer Mark Stevensonreplied that he could not recall clearly why but that "I guess we just loved creating new Kongs! I would say it would be because we wanted a character that fitted with the shrinking ability."[3]

-And yet they didn't invent a Jetty Kong to replace Diddy. While her twin ponytails are nice, it sounds like this unneeded Kong was invented in a bout of fun developmental drunkenness. Apparently after 64, they even dropped all reference of her being a sister to Dixie, so she is just there now (and the sister connection was possibly never said in Japan in the first place- Rare invented her, and Japan got the game a couple weeks after the US).

Wow so not even the developers knew why they did it. Seems Tiny was originally conceived purely based on the shrinking ability initially and kind of accidentally ended resembling Dixie heavely

Gang-Plank Galleon, the song heard in K. Rool's trailer, has been uploaded to the Smash Ultimate website.

Just like the F-Zero medley, i need the full version of this now. I've never played any of the original DKC games (I've only played Returns) but damn, this is a good remix.

Edit: Even better, it was composed by ACE, the guys behind most of the music in Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Gang-Plank Galleon, the song heard in K. Rool's trailer, has been uploaded to the Smash Ultimate website.

Just like the F-Zero medley, i need the full version of this now. I've never played any of the original DKC games (I've only played Returns) but damn, this is a good remix.

Edit: Even better, it was composed by ACE, the guys behind most of the music in Xenoblade 1 and 2.

Am I crazy? Or do I hear vocals?

Edited by Dai

More leaks, huh. “Mario2” could be either a placeholder or it could also mean that Metal Mario could get in as Mario’s Echo Fighter. Metal Mario was a boss in the original Super Smash Bros. 

Echo Fighters...I just want Eliwood as Cloud’s Echo Fighter. If I were to ask for another Echo Fighter...it would probably be Zephiel as Shulk’s Echo Fighter. Hardin could get in as the original FE villain to oppose Marth. For Zelda characters, I just want Lana. 

@ Gardevoir: Well, it is a popular Pokemon. Gothitelle, however, isn’t but it would be a “out-of-left-field” choice Sakurai would do just to mess with people (like how he was laughing as Dedede in the K.Rool trailer). 

Edited by Lord-Zero

23 minutes ago, Dai said:

Am I crazy? Or do I hear vocals?

Nope, the vocals are there. Though it's the kind where you're not really supposed to understand them. I like to think that it's King K. Rool behind those vocals.

6 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

If I were to ask for another Echo Fighter...it would probably be Zephiel as Shulk’s Echo Fighter.

How....how does that even work? What part of Zephiel says "oh yeah, this would make a good Shulk Echo"? That's ignoring the fact that it seems a fighter can only be an Echo Fighter of a character from the same series.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nope, the vocals are there. Though it's the kind where you're not really supposed to understand them. I like to think that it's King K. Rool behind those vocals.

How....how does that even work? What part of Zephiel says "oh yeah, this would make a good Shulk Echo"? That's ignoring the fact that it seems a fighter can only be an Echo Fighter of a character from the same series.

By working. It’s a crazy one but it could work. Change the Monado Arts gimmick for electric sword attacks. Basic attacks and crap would work with next to no issue. There are no real iron-clad rules regarding Echo Fighters with the exception of the Echo Fighter having an existing fighter as a base. Sakurai never said that they had to be from the same series so anything goes until he says otherwise. 

There’s also the possibility of Zeraora becoming Lucario’s Echo Fighter. Aura gimmick would be replaced with electric effects and some moves could be taken from Pikachu and Greninja. Although the most realistic one would be Black Knight as Ike’s Echo Fighter. 

“B-but what about Aether?” He gets Warp Powder. 

Edited by Lord-Zero