Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

You know playing Sephiroth's classic route is making me wish they'd given us some more bosses. Safer Sephiroth could have made a great boss. Imagine we got a boss battle with every fighter pass character? And I don't think bosses would take that much more work to make than actual characters. You just need to model them and give them set attack patterns that are easy to telegraph and avoid. No need for much balancing against the entire cast like a regular fighter.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Well the first FF chars have already gotten representation in the form of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Mario Sports Mix. Not that I would mind, but different choices would be nice.

That is not remotely comparable to having a playable Warrior or Black Mage in Smash. And for me at least, the first FF is the most iconic as it laid out much of the groundwork later games would follow: The four crystals, the fiends, the hero classes, black and white magic, etc. Later games did add iconic elements as well - II added Chocobos, Bows, and Spears, III added Moogles, more iconic classes, class changing, etc. - but FF1 provided the core DNA for the series up until FFV. And the Light Warriors don't have to represent FF1 only; they can reference and represent material in later games. I think of them more as representatives of the FF series as a whole, allowing common tropes to coalesce into a composite whole.

Warrior for example could represent not only the classic and iconic red-haired, red-armored hero but also Cecil via Dark Knight and Paladin costumes and Bartz as a Knight. Thief could easily include costume references to Locke and Zidane. Ninja could include Edge and Shadow among its costumes. Monk could include Yang and Sabin. Black Mage could reference Palom and Vivi. White Mage could have costumes for Rosa, Porom, and Garnet, possibly even the original Princess Sarah herself.

It's like how Hero represents multiple Dragon Quest entries, you know? And in my opinion, those colorful, cartoony NES and SNES games are what really feel like Final Fantasy to me. Modern Final Fantasy (7 and on) feels so far detached from its roots that it might as well be a spinoff akin to the World of Mana or Bravely Frontier series. Cloud and Sephiroth may be popular characters from a popular game, but they don't represent classic Final Fantasy well.

I guess I just really want more content from FF1, 3, 4, and 5 in Smash. A composite approach feels like the best way to do that, as those games reiterate on a good number of common archetypes, aided by a common visual style across their portion of the series.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

That is not remotely comparable to having a playable Warrior or Black Mage in Smash. And for me at least, the first FF is the most iconic as it laid out much of the groundwork later games would follow: The four crystals, the fiends, the hero classes, black and white magic, etc. Later games did add iconic elements as well - II added Chocobos, Bows, and Spears, III added Moogles, more iconic classes, class changing, etc. - but FF1 provided the core DNA for the series up until FFV. And the Light Warriors don't have to represent FF1 only; they can reference and represent material in later games. I think of them more as representatives of the FF series as a whole, allowing common tropes to coalesce into a composite whole.

It's like how Hero represents multiple Dragon Quest entries, you know? And in my opinion, those colorful, cartoony NES and SNES games are what really feel like Final Fantasy to me. Modern Final Fantasy (7 and on) feels so far detached from its roots that it might as well be a spinoff akin to the World of Mana or Bravely Frontier series. Cloud and Sephiroth may be popular characters from a popular game, but they don't represent classic Final Fantasy well.

I guess I just really want more content from FF1, 3, 4, and 5 in Smash. A composite approach feels like the best way to do that, as those games reiterate on a good number of common archetypes, aided by a common visual style across their portion of the series.

Maybe not, but it is better than nothing. Eh, i wouldn't consider the WoL to be in the same league as someone like Pikachu rep wise.

They still feel the same to me, just more interesting on a gameplay/characterization level. 

With version 10.1.0 out, the full FF Spirit Board is:

• Tifa (Ace, Mii Brawler)
  • Barret (Advanced, Mii Gunner and three Brawlers)
  • Aerith (Ace, Zelda and Cloud)
  • Red XIII (Advanced, Duck Hunt)
  • Cait Sith (Novice, Roy Koopa and three Mr. Game & Watches)
  • Cid (Novice, Link)
  • Vincent (Advanced, Wolf)
  • Yuffie (Advanced, Sheik)
  • Chocobo & Moogle (Novice, Mii Brawler and Kirby)
  • Ifrit (Ace, Bowser)
  • Shiva (Ace, Zero Suit Samus)
  • Bahamut ZERO (Legend, Giant Ridley)
  • The Turks & Rufus Shinra (Ace, Robin, two Mii Gunners, one Brawler, and one Swordfighter)

Also, Cloud's spirit now uses his original FFVII artwork, though his AC costume still uses his Ultimate artwork.

Since Sephorth been added that kinda matches the entire row in the Fighters Select Screen in the same lenght and same width. I'm kinda wondered if Challenger Pack 9 Fighter gets announced somewhere at 2021 and be added in the game that would get the Fighters Select Screen will might push Jigglypuff and Ken back to the Original 12 Fighters and Ryu since those two were been stuck seperated in different rows for a while when the first four DLCs Fighters got added in?

I would think more than Jiggypuff and Ken after gets moved to Row 1 (that has the all the fighters from the first Super Smash Bros. game + Dark Samus since Dark Samus didn't exactly exist during at in 1999) and Row 5, I do think Young Link, Ike, and Mega Man would be moved to Row 2, Row 3, and Row 4, but the rest of the characters had to be arranged as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

I think I can make a more believable fake Smash leak than most fake Smash leaks out there.

Spoiler

Challenger Pack 9: Cinderace (announed on February 27th to celebrate Pokemon's 25th anniversary; releases between March and April)

Challenger Pack 10: Chosen Undead (announced at E3 2021 for Dark Souls' 10th anniversary; releases between July and August)

Challenger Pack 11: Crash Bandicoot (also announced at E3 to celebrate his series' 25th anniversary; releases between October and November)

[/SPOILER]

Boy, wouldn't it have been cool if they could have gotten Knights of the Round in there?

• Knights of the Round
  • Type: Support (Attack)
  • Class: ★★★★
  • Cost: ⬡⬡⬡
  • Skill: Weapon & Magic Attack ↑ ↑
  • Fighter: 3 × Link, 3 × Byleth, 3 × Robin, 3 × Ganondorf, Chrom
  • Stage: Reset Bomb Forest
  • Music: Fight On!
  • Conditions
    • The enemy's weapon and magic attacks are more powerful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

S'alright. Back-and-forth banter with some wit. So long as you enjoyed writing it.

They do like updating movesets in Smash, so maybe come Smash 6 Bowser Jr. will add the paintbrush to his? For that matter, maybe the Koopalings will be able to get their own movesets as separate fighters? I mean, it's cool that they were able to get in at all as Jr.s' variants, but come Smash 6, they'll be looking for new fighters with which to pad the roster, and the Koopalings are seven easy options. They all use magic scepters as their main weapons, and each also uses unique moves pulled from their various appearances. Lemmy could conjure a ball to ride around on and throw bombs, Morton could swing a hefty hammer, Roy could shoot Bullet Bills with a Bill Blaster, Wendy could ice skate and throw bouncing rings, etc. They could be a team fighter so as to only take up one roster slot, with a character select command mapped to Shield + Special, and they could have a shared Final Smash as team fighters tend to, likely involving all seven Koopalings attacking in tandem. In such a scenario, they would presumably also have a shared stage, Airship, perhaps with seven different aesthetic alternatives to reflect each Koopaling.

Speaking of adding even more Mario fighters to Smash, I'd like to see Pauline and maybe Classic DK and DK Jr., to get all four of the classic arcade quad in there (though CDK and DKJ would technically be DK series reps.). I mean, Mario's already broken the unofficial Rule of Eight, so why not?

Edited by Lord_Brand

20 hours ago, Jingilator said:

There was a video of a Master Chief Mii Costume.

I say it's a mod, but hot damn it's a well made one.

I've purchased many Mii costumes, and not one of them has customizeable colors. While something like this isn't out of the realm of possibility, it would be unprecedented. What really marks this as fake is treating the suit and helmet as the same article as they adjust the colors. That is impossible to do in Smash.

Edited by Glennstavos

Currently, anyway. Nintendo always could update the infrastructure to support such a feature, just like they could in theory add new customizable fighters to Smash akin to the Mii Fighters, including new kinds of Mii Fighters.

Here's hoping Smash 6 cranks fighter customization up to a whole new level, with not only customizable movesets or even fighter teams but also variable costumes and color palettes for every fighter. Imagine if Mario or Link were as customizable as the Miis. Mario did head-and-body costumes in Odyssey, and Link did him one better with head-body-leg pieces in BotW. Wouldn't it be oh so cool if Smash 6 could do that with virtually every fighter? With just eight costumes and eight preset color choices alone, you could have 64 different possible combinations per fighter, and if you can customize different parts of the body individually you can have even more than that.

I'm telling you folks, Smash 6 is going to be the dream custom fighting game. Custom Fighters are going to be Smash 6's big hook, its main draw.

Seeing that Bomberman has color variants like that really makes me wish he was playable as an actual fighter. He may not be quite as popular as Mega Man or Sonic, but his series is one of the established long-running classics. They could give him a novel moveset that revolves around placing, kicking, and throwing bombs, as well as using different types of bomb such as Remote Bombs or bombs that home in on targets like missiles.