Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I can understand wanting to include Ghosts N' Goblins in Smash as it is one of Capcom's iconic franchises alongside Mega Man and Street Fighter, but I myself am not really concerned either way. I'm fine if Arthur does get in, but there are a ton of Mega Man characters I care more about seeing get in (like Roll, Proto Man, Bass, X, Zero, Sigma...) than Arthur (or for that matter, any more Street Fighters like Chun-Li or Guile). I'm one of those "high volume > high diversity" Smash fans who has a handful of series from which he wants to see a ton of fighters and doesn't really care a great deal about anything else. But I'm also aware that those series I'm not into have their fans too, so I adopt the approach of "Well as long as I get all the fighters I want, I'm fine with everyone else getting all the fighters they want, too".

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jingilator said:

I'm disappointed we still only have one Namco character as a fighter in Smash Bros. 

This is why we need Yuri Lowell! Hes a great fit, and is popular so no reason not to, really.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

This is why we need Yuri Lowell! Hes a great fit, and is popular so no reason not to, really.

There's technically Llyod Irving is also one of the highest Tales Rep requested for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I did heard his game Tales of Symphonia was the most of the Tales's best in the series. I am pretty sure he might get in without the Mii Costume from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U return since Heihachi was planned to be a fighter and a 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise Rep for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U due to Sakurai couldn't figure out the controls work for Super Smash Bros. series.

Oh by the way, I noticed there's like a total of three missing Mii Fighter costumes remaining that didn't appeared in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as of right now. I noticed that I mentioned about Llyod Irving Mii Fighter Costume along with the two Monster Hunter Mii Fighter costumes were the last three remaining missing costumes in Ultimate that haven't returned in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U yet. I'm kinda hope that Llyod Irving's costume doesn't show up in Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation, but I'm wondered if the two Monster Hunter Costumes (Rathalos Set and Hunters Set) will might show up to Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation?

If Llyod Irving's Mii FIghter Costume does indeed return, I would think it's going to show up with the 2nd Bandai Namco rep something like another Tales rep or from a different Bandai Namco franchise will might take spot when they get announced as either Challenger Pack 10 or 11 and the Llyod Irving Mii Fighter Costume would might get featured in the Mii Fighter Costume Round 10 or 11 in their presentation.

Edited by King Marth 64

8 hours ago, Jingilator said:

I'm disappointed we still only have one Namco character as a fighter in Smash Bros. I'm mainly rooting for Chosen Undead, but I'll take any at this point.

A Soul Calibur fighter would be appropriate. Bonus points for the fact Link guest-starred in SCII for GCN. Back in 2015, Project Soul and Namco held a popularity poll for the SC series' fighters. These were the top ten results:

Spoiler
  1. Talim
  2. Taki
  3. Mitsurugi
  4. Ivy
  5. Kilik
  6. Siegfried
  7. Nightmare
  8. Zasalamel
  9. Yoshimitsu
  10. Tira

So, Talim would probably be the most likely rep to be added, and could be quite a fun fighter with her elbow blades, wind powers, and cute looks. Mitsurugi would be a cool pick for his samurai theme, as Smash has yet to add a good, proper samurai fighter. Kilik would be novel for using a staff. Siegfried and Nightmare would be BFS fighters of a vein similar to Cloud, with Nightmare additionally repping Soul Edge which drives much of the series' plot. (They should totally feature Cloud as a guest fighter in a future Soulcalibur. Turns out, he was almost the PS2 guest fighter for SCII, until the deal fell through and Heihachi was added at the last minute. Maybe Soulcalibur VII, then?)

At this rate, I really hope a FP3 is on the way, as there are just too many good candidates left. But, sooner or later the FPs will have to come to an end so they can work on SSB6. Though I could see a mobile game coming in the future, too. That would make sense given Nintendo's recent forays into the world of mobile games. And though I know gacha is rather infamous over here in the West, it would make sense for a Smash mobile game. Fighters, costumes, equippable weapons and spirits, custom specials, you name it.

Edited by Lord_Brand

8 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

There's technically Llyod Irving is also one of the highest Tales Rep requested for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I did heard his game Tales of Symphonia was the most of the Tales's best in the series. I am pretty sure he might get in without the Mii Costume from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U return since Heihachi was planned to be a fighter and a 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise Rep for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U due to Sakurai couldn't figure out the controls work for Super Smash Bros. series.

Personally, i would still go Yuri, seeing as he was so popular, they had to ban him from some polls. 

And, Lloyd... ugh.

The announcement tweet said that PyMy's release date would be revealed in the presentation, which I thought would be strange to mention separately if they're releasing the same day. But if we're getting the alert now then there's a decent chance they're releasing on the 4th. I think Terry's presentation was in the morning and he released right after, or am I wrong?

Also, this week's tournament is for Pokémon's 25th anniversary.

"These figures often provide helpful hints. For example, what the bottom of the feet look like" 

Okay, Sakurai. Did you really have to make THAT the example.

I like the gameplay! Especially making use of Squad Strike. Be honest, has anybody reading this even PLAYED that mode? It's awesome. I'm sure I'll be annoyed that Pyra's Up B kills (for the same reason that it's annoying when fighting Ike), but otherwise nothing about them seems particularly busted. I really like that their Up Bs send at different angles, and am curious how feasible it is to intercept them without a counter. The context behind the reveal trailer is interesting, I thought it was weird how well the existing smash characters matched the aesthetic. Although truth be told I expected more nerding out about Monolith Soft. Like a full blown history of xeno games leading up to XC2. Seems like any japanese game dev would leap at that opportunity. The lack of xeno mii fighter outfits are also surprising, but I'm glad to hear Sakurai is a ghosts n goblins fan. Wish that arthur outfit came with music, or perhaps had an alternative underwear version.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Kind of wish they'd include worst-protagonist Rex-Rex as a physical character on the stage who you could yeet off into the abyss. 😅

If you're lucky, you'll run into me and my Reeks Mii fighter online

But then there's the MUSIC. Not even us edgelords on the internet will say the music from that game is bad.

Edited by Glennstavos

It's tragic that the basic bitches known as the "aNoThEr AnImE sWoRdFiGhTeR" crowd are so vocal and persistent in their straight up goddamn harassment of the man that he feels the need to repeatedly tell us it isn't his fault. I hope the rest of the pass is nothing but anime swordfighters so that these people can choke on their petty, unsupressed rage. (And yes, we have more than a few iconic anime swordfighters who are extremely deserving of the spots.)

And it's even sadder that the primary cause of the abuse is one of gaming's best and oldest franchises. A franchise that owes an incalculable amount of its success and identity to Smash itself.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

50 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's tragic that the basic bitches known as the "aNoThEr AnImE sWoRdFiGhTeR" crowd are so vocal and persistent in their straight up goddamn harassment of the man that he feels the need to repeatedly tell us it isn't his fault. I hope the rest of the pass is nothing but anime swordfighters so that these people can choke on their petty, unsupressed rage. (And yes, we have more than a few iconic anime swordfighters who are extremely deserving of the spots.)

And it's even sadder that the primary cause of the abuse is one of gaming's best and oldest franchises. A franchise that owes an incalculable amount of its success and identity to Smash itself.

Honestly I don't really care about the whole swordfighters thing. It turns out, lots of iconic characters use swords, shocking! Not a whole lot of iconic able-to-be-in-smash characters going around using nunchucks or seeing-eye dogs as weapons.
The best they can do is try to put twists on them when it inevitably happens, and to be fair they're not doing that bad a job all things considered.

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Kind of wish they'd include worst-protagonist Rex-Rex as a physical character on the stage who you could yeet off into the abyss. 😅

Nah, it wouldn't be the same unless he shouted "Meh-meh-meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh-" while being thrown into the depths of the cloud sea.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I hope the rest of the pass is nothing but anime swordfighters so that these people can choke on their petty, unsupressed rage.

I'd genuinely love that. Still hoping for at least one between 2B, Sora and Rean.

4 minutes ago, Yexin said:

I'd genuinely love that. Still hoping for at least one between 2B, Sora and Rean.

Will accept any combination of Dante, Lloyd, Yuri, Rean, Adol, Geralt, Sol or Jin, and 2B that reps 2 different franchises.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Eh, while I'm not against adding more sword-users to the game, I understand a desire to see weapons besides swords in smash. They have yet to add a dedicated axe or spear user, the closest we've gotten being Byleth. We also don't have a lot of straight-up mages who use rods or staves (despite the fact Zelda would be a perfect candidate for one what with Magic Rods being a thing in her series and all). So, I get why some fans roll their eyes over "yet another sword fighter".

Me personally, I want more cartoony mascot-type fighters like Crash and Rayman to round out all these basically human fighters we've been getting, though I of course also still want Shantae, who offers the novelty of a Middle East-inspired belly dancer with a ponytail whip and magic powers.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Eh, while I'm not against adding more sword-users to the game, I understand a desire to see weapons besides swords in smash. They have yet to add a dedicated axe or spear user, the closest we've gotten being Byleth. We also don't have a lot of straight-up mages who use rods or staves (despite the fact Zelda would be a perfect candidate for one what with Magic Rods being a thing in her series and all). So, I get why some fans roll their eyes over "yet another sword fighter"

I still maintain that it should've been Edelgard rather than Byleth.

Yeah, I agree; I can understand a bit of frustration at a seeming waste of potential variety. I understand why there are so many swordfighters in Smash: so many fantasy protagonists, when given a weapon, are usually given a sword. But there are multiple major characters that are magic users, axe fighters, spear fighters, archers, etc., that they could choose from. 

Zelda definitely could make a great magic rods or staves user, as could Micaiah from Radiant Dawn (alongside light magic). 

I did watched the presentation that gave me some happiness expectations in Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation. I did predict that those two Monster Hunter cotumes from For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U would come back in Round 9, I didn't expect that Arthur from Ghost n Goblins would appear as a Mii Swordfighter Costume along with Felyne Hat. I'm kinda wondered why there's not a single new Xenoblade Cronicles Mii Fighter costumes showed up for Round 9 nor maybe show Monolith Soft's other creations like KOS-MOS, Fei, etc. for Round 9 since it did gotten shorten to 4 Mii Fighter Costumes instead of 5 or 6 like Round 2 showing it's Capcom related only in the Batch? But, I'm glad the Llyod Irving Costume didn't return in Round 9 since we do need another 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise Rep in Ultimate. (The only Mii Fighter Costume didn't return in Ultimate as of right now is Llyod)

I'm kinda wondered what will Pyra's and Mythra's Classic Mode is going to be about when they get released later today?

Edited by King Marth 64

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Silly timezones. Sakurai said the dlc was going to be released later today. That was around 15:00 and the day is already over. 

All of the previous DLC characters except Terry released 8:00 or 9:00 PM Eastern time (based on daylight savings), so they should be released in about 20 minutes.

Ok, I managed to watch GameXplain's live stream that they got Pyra and Mythra content. It's now available right now. I'm going to try out downloading Patch 11.0 and play Pyra and Mythra since I did bought Fighter Pass Vol. 2.

Edit: I managed to beat Classic Mode with Pyra & Mythra and Unlocked all the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Spirits on the newest Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Spirit Board. I did get a notice that we got two more Spirits that aren't related to Xenoblade Chronicles are:

1. Sophia (Persona series) - You have to buy Persona 5 Strikers to receive the Sophia spirit
  2. Arthur (Ghost 'n Goblins series) - You have to download Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection from Nintendo eShop to receive the Arthur spirit

It requires to have a save data for those two games to receive their spirits that is similar to the Tockles Spirits from the save data from Dragon Quest XI S.

I was planning on getting Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection on my birthday, I might need to get Persona 5 Strikers on my list since I haven't played Persona 5 nor Royal. (I don't have a PS4 nor PS5 Console as well)

Edited by King Marth 64