Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely don't see the Arthur nor Sophia Spirits are in the game as of right now yet. I do have a total of 1,397 Spirits as of right now. I'm managed to see a total of 8 Summoned Spirits that I haven't obtained yet in my game data. I did managed to get all the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Spirits, I do know that there is a total of 1,465 + upcoming Sophia and Arthur spirits that equals to 1,467 spirits as of right now.

Since Challenger Pack 10 and 11 are the only two remaining spots left as of right now. Does anyone think we could might see Challenger Pack 10 somewhere shows announced at late April or maybe May and Challenger Pack 11 be at the announcement for E3 2021 or we pretty might see Challenger Pack 10 at E3 2021 announcement and Challenger Pack 11 be somewhere at after E3 2021 is over in a couple more months later?

Edited by King Marth 64

4 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I definitely don't see the Arthur nor Sophia Spirits are in the game as of right now yet.

You need to have data for Persona 5 Strikers and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection to get those spirits at the moment, but they'll be available for everyone else later.

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Since Challenger Pack 10 and 11 are the only two remaining spots left as of right now. Does anyone think we could might see Challenger Pack 10 somewhere shows announced at late April or maybe May and Challenger Pack 11 be at the announcement for E3 2021 or we pretty might see Challenger Pack 10 at E3 2021 announcement and Challenger Pack 11 be somewhere at after E3 2021 is over in a couple more months later?

I'd guess that CP10 would be released in June around E3 time, but I don't think E3 is happening this year so they could be announced earlier. Generally there's only been a gap of two to three months between DLC characters, so I expect the last character to be released in September at latest. There are only two characters left so I don't think we'll get both of them announced at once.

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

You need to have data for Persona 5 Strikers and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection to get those spirits at the moment, but they'll be available for everyone else later.

I already know that they required an game data from Persona 5 Strikers and Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrections that I did said in my previous post and they're available later on. I did searched through YouTube to try to check on them to keep my eye out on those two.

Edited by King Marth 64

I haven't played Ultimate for a quite while and haven't tried out the Pythra yet, but it's good to see popular characters from a popular Nintendo franchise again. Also good to see two characters as one spot. They are the first characters from the second DLC pack I've purchased and I'm interested to use them once I have the time again to play Ultimate. It's a bit unfortunate that I'm stuck with other games and projects right now.

Though Crash and Shantae are my top two picks, I could also see Dixie Kong and X as DLC fighters. X has some pretty easy choices for gimmicks: he can use Special Weapons with energy, he could don different armor parts to alter his abilities, and he could charge his X-Buster and Special Weapons. Basically, he could play like a more advanced Mega Man. Plus, his series has lots of prime candidates for Spirits and music. It helps that they have a model of him to use already thanks to Mega Man's Final Smash.

Dixie's a little tougher. She has her ponytail spin, but that could easily be adapted to her U Special. What other gimmicks could she use? Animal Buddies? Tag-teaming with her sister Tiny? Picking up and throwing stuff with her hair?

Edited by Lord_Brand

11 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Though Crash and Shantae are my top two picks, I could also see Dixie Kong and X as DLC fighters. X has some pretty easy choices for gimmicks: he can use Special Weapons with energy, he could don different armor parts to alter his abilities, and he could charge his X-Buster and Special Weapons. Basically, he could play like a more advanced Mega Man. Plus, his series has lots of prime candidates for Spirits and music. It helps that they have a model of him to use already thanks to Mega Man's Final Smash.

Dixie's a little tougher. She has her ponytail spin, but that could easily be adapted to her U Special. What other gimmicks could she use? Animal Buddies? Tag-teaming with her sister Tiny? Picking up and throwing stuff with her hair?

I'm still thinking that Nintendo and Sakurai are going to include a 2nd Bandai Namco Franchise rep for Fighter Pass Vol. 2 due Bandai Namco hadn't had a 2nd Franchise rep for years instead of X in since we had three Capcom characters in already and X is already a DLC Mii Costume as well.

As for Dixie Kong, I do wondered if the Helicopter Spin might be useful for Up B. She could use her new gun as a Neutral B from Tropical Freeze like Dixie Kong had. For Side Special and Down Special is tricky for me to think about for Dixie Kong. I'm kinda wondered if Sakurai can input the Hair Twirling Multiattack as her Side Special and maybe add TNT Barrel Throw as her Down Special?

Edited by King Marth 64

With the exception of Byleth, every FP DLC fighter so far has had some manner of gimmick to help distinguish them:

• Joker - Has the Rebellion Gauge and Arsene
  • Hero - MP meter and Command Menu
  • Banjo-Kazooie - Powerful Side Special with limited uses
  • Terry - Input commands not unlike Ryu, and the series' very first Back Special
  • Min Min - Left arm and right arm mapped to attack and special buttons respectively, as well as the ability to change the right arm
  • Steve - Mining materials and using them to craft weapons and tools
  • Sephiroth - Winged form that triggers at high enough damage
  • Pyra & Mythra - Ability to transform between two fighters (previously seen with Zelda & Sheik)

So, what kind of gimmick would Dixie offer? I mean, sure, she could be justified based on popularity alone, but they'll want to do something interesting with her, else she'll feel like a fighter who should have been base roster (because quite frankly she should have been).

In X's favor, he could have not only Special Weapons (with potential for a better implementation than Mega Man) but also a Light Capsule that can grant him Armors and the ability to charge many of his attacks, particularly his buster (which by my reckoning could cover his neutral, F tilt, N air, F air, B air, and possibly his dash, to simulate how his games play) and, while armored, his Special Weapons, most notably his Specials (which themselves could vary based on what Armor he's using).

As for a Namco Rep, a Soul rep would probably be the next most fitting option. Talim is the most popular character in the series, so she's the most likely candidate, but Mitsurugi would be a cool pick too due to his being a Samurai. I'm researching Soulcalibur gameplay as of SCVI, and learning about mechanics which I think could be implemented into Smash.

Spoiler

First off, there's 8-way run. That might be a little difficult to implement in SSBU, but maybe SSB6 will explore true 3-dimensional combat for Smash?

The basic attack types are horizontal (A), vertical (B), and kick (K). Each is mapped to a different button in SC, but Smash only uses two attack buttons, so some liberties will need to be taken there. Attacks also fall into high, mid, or low categories, which sounds easy enough to replicate in Smash using tilts and smashes.

In addition to the three basic attack types, you have guarding (G) as the fourth basic action, which maps quite handily to shielding in Smash. In SC, you can crouch while guarding which interacts with the high/mid/low system, something a SC fighter in Smash could implement.

Throws (G + A) neatly map to grabs in Smash's mechanics.

Guard Impact (Forward + G) serves as a parry and could be a unique twist on shielding in Smash. In contrast to dodge rolling, which entails pushing left or right after shielding, Guard Impact in Smash could entail shielding while pushing left or right. Guard Impacts in SC counter all attacks - whether high, mid, or low - and even throws.

Break Attacks (A + B at the same time) are the only means of breaking through a Guard Impact. In Smash, this could be the Side Special.

Reversal Edge (B + G at the same time) was introduced in SCVI, and it functions as a counter of sorts, making it ideal for the SC rep's D Special. Unlike, say, Marth's Counter, Reversal Edge always attacks, and the windup beforehand serves to absorb an incoming attack, allowing you to punish it with the followup attack.

The Soul Gauge fuels Critical Edge and Soul Charge.

• Critical Edge (A + B + K at the same time) is the user's most powerful attack. Critical Edge seems like an obvious candidate for Final Smash, but if we want to stay as true to SC's mechanics as possible, then it should also be possible to use Critical Gauge with the Soul Gauge somehow. Perhaps Shield + Attack + Special at the same time?
  • Soul Charge (Back + A + B+ K at the same time) powers the user up for a time, granting them access to a second array of more powerful moves, enhancements to some existing moves, and the ability to deal scratch damage even when their attacks are guarded. Soul Charge could be mapped to Shield + Special in Smash.

Far as I can tell, SC doesn't have distinct aerial attacks the way Street Fighter and Fatal Fury do as there isn't a jump button per se, so they'd have to exercise some liberties for those as well.

3 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

With the exception of Byleth, every FP DLC fighter so far has had some manner of gimmick to help distinguish them:

• Joker - Has the Rebellion Gauge and Arsene
  • Hero - MP meter and Command Menu
  • Banjo-Kazooie - Powerful Side Special with limited uses
  • Terry - Input commands not unlike Ryu, and the series' very first Back Special
  • Min Min - Left arm and right arm mapped to attack and special buttons respectively, as well as the ability to change the right arm
  • Steve - Mining materials and using them to craft weapons and tools
  • Sephiroth - Winged form that triggers at high enough damage
  • Pyra & Mythra - Ability to transform between two fighters (previously seen with Zelda & Sheik)

Umm... Byleth does has a Lance for his/her Side Special, Foward Smash Attacks, and Air Attacks since none of the other fighters in the entire roster ever fights with a Lance, Byleth would be the first SSB fighter to have a Lance as a weapon of choice in the entire SSB series. (I was trying to think if there's something else with an unique gimmick for Byeth: I know that the Belmonts are technically the first SSB fighters uses Axes as their weapons since they use it in their Neutral Special Attacks which Byleth does use the Aymr as an Axe for Down Special, Down Smash Attacks, and Down Air Attack.)

Also, I think Joker is the first SSB fighter to use a Knife since none of the other fighters in the entire roster uses a knife to fight.

Edited by King Marth 64

Yes, Byleth is novel for using a lance and axe in their moveset, but that's not really a gimmick per se. Of all the DLC fighters thus far, Byleth has been the most "vanilla" (which no doubt has contributed to their divisive reception among the fans).

My friend and I have been encountering a lot of Mythra/Sephiroth teams online. The gimmick being that they alternate using photon edge and octoslash along the ground of FD. Those moves are easy to deal with on their own, just hold shield until it's finished, and you get a free punish. But when they're both pelting your shield back to back, your shield just gets too small to cover every slash. And once one of the moves knocks you in the air, good luck landing safely. Not a fun time for ol' Doc and Diddy. Next time, I'm bringing somebody with a counter. Braindead problems require braindead solutions.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

My friend and I have been encountering a lot of Mythra/Sephiroth teams online. The gimmick being that they alternate using photon edge and octoslash along the ground of FD. Those moves are easy to deal with on their own, just hold shield until it's finished, and you get a free punish. But when they're both pelting your shield back to back, your shield just gets too small to cover every slash. And once one of the moves knocks you in the air, good luck landing safely. Not a fun time for ol' Doc and Diddy. Next time, I'm bringing somebody with a counter. Braindead problems require braindead solutions.

Can't say I've encountered the combo, but wouldn't hitting them with projectiles while they're mid attack stall them?

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

i've seen this alot too, but personally i don't think anything is as bad as R.O.B + any other character. His antics are pure BS, haha.

As far as Photon Edge goes, around the middle of the attack you can hit her out of it with a decent ranged D air. Octaslash isn't quite as easy to get through though.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Can't say I've encountered the combo, but wouldn't hitting them with projectiles while they're mid attack stall them?

Sephiroth yes, Mythra's a little weird. She's vulnerable for brief periods but very far away from where the sword is striking, so your mileage always varies. If you have to come down with an aerial, I've found the best place to aim is wherever she started the move from, not where the sword (and her body) is visually appearing with each strike. But it took about a dozen failed attempts to figure that out. Sephy's got a long windup before he starts moving, so he's very reactible, but Mythra doesn't, so if it's mythra with Sephiroth trailing behind her, you usually just have the time to pull up shield or try to hop over it. Only one of those is safe. If there's a break in the action, popping a quick projectile can at least give them some kind of obstacle they need to deal with. But even so, some opponents like to mash their current option, so sometimes I'm broken out early by a projectile or my teammate, only for mythra to just start it up again as I'm noticing that I'm free.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

i've seen this alot too, but personally i don't think anything is as bad as R.O.B + any other character. His antics are pure BS, haha.

y'know, my doubles partner complains about ROB a lot too. But his gyro is fun to take away from him. And that recovery is so easy to intercept. It's begging for a spike, or just beat him back from the ledge repeatedly until he runs out of fuel. There are definitely days though when we're up against two ROBs, two Heros, two Samuses that really put into perspective how toxic team attack off is in doubles. Especially when those guys have FD set as their preferred stage. 

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

y'know, my doubles partner complains about ROB a lot too. But his gyro is fun to take away from him. And that recovery is so easy to intercept. It's begging for a spike, or just beat him back from the ledge repeatedly until he runs out of fuel. There are definitely days though when we're up against two ROBs, two Heros, two Samuses that really put into perspective how toxic team attack off is in doubles. Especially when those guys have FD set as their preferred stage. 

His recovery is busted, just U air for free defense for days.  

Yeah the toxic players kinda make things a pain once in a while. 

Maybe one of these times we'll end up playing each other! Xd 

19 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Maybe one of these times we'll end up playing each other! Xd 

My friend and I exclusively play on quickplay co-op, about twice a month, so it's possible we already have. My name would appear as Glenn. Sometimes we identify a name we've seen before. Sometimes we run into them twice in one day

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Sephiroth yes, Mythra's a little weird. She's vulnerable for brief periods but very far away from where the sword is striking, so your mileage always varies. If you have to come down with an aerial, I've found the best place to aim is wherever she started the move from, not where the sword (and her body) is visually appearing with each strike. But it took about a dozen failed attempts to figure that out. Sephy's got a long windup before he starts moving, so he's very reactible, but Mythra doesn't, so if it's mythra with Sephiroth trailing behind her, you usually just have the time to pull up shield or try to hop over it. Only one of those is safe. If there's a break in the action, popping a quick projectile can at least give them some kind of obstacle they need to deal with. But even so, some opponents like to mash their current option, so sometimes I'm broken out early by a projectile or my teammate, only for mythra to just start it up again as I'm noticing that I'm free.

I've just tested it out and it seems Doctor Mario (and I assume Diddy's) projectiles are particularly bad at stopping her. I don't think it's because she's only briefly vulnerable though, I think it's because she hangs low to the ground and the pill bounces over her half the time. I tried again with Falco and his blaster stops her in her tracks basically every time. So long as she starts the attack far enough away from him of course, otherwise he gets hit with the first strike and has a fun time getting pounded.

Side note, Pyrha fights a lot like how I wish Roy fought. Particularly in having a great projectile which Roy absolutely should have given his 1-2 range in Binding Blade. She also has Roy's super powerful side smash and Prominance Revolt is somewhat similar to Alm's Decide attack, which is a suitably Fire Emblemly attack for someone like Roy to steal given he an Alm both have dragon sealing swords.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

My friend and I exclusively play on quickplay co-op, about twice a month, so it's possible we already have. My name would appear as Glenn. Sometimes we identify a name we've seen before. Sometimes we run into them twice in one day

Mmmmmm, nope, not on my list, and i would have remembered you're name, haha. Hopefully it'll happen sometime!

I thought this would be an interesting topic. As for my ideas:

Routes
• Daisy: In Search of a Super Star (fights every Mario character, ending with Bowser/Giga Bowser)
• Falco: Personally, I prefer the air! (fights characters who have more than two jumps, ending with Rathalos)
• Mr. Game & Watch: A Long Legacy (fights characters in reverse chronological order from the Switch era to the NES era, ending with Dracula)
• Pokémon Trainer: When Eyes Meet (fights characters who join the player after starting as an enemy)
• Sonic: Just a Bit Too Slow (fights characters who played a role in the Subspace Emissary, with a fight against Galleom midway)
• Olimar: Size Matters (fights big characters, ending with Bowser/Giga Bowser)
• Robin: Master of My Element (fights characters associated with Robin's tomes)
• Cloud: In It for the Money (fights characters who were DLC in Smash 4, fighting Master Hand and Crazy Hand midway through)
• Hero: A History of Heroism (fights characters from JRPG's in general)
• Banjo-Kazooie: Class of '64 (fights characters from N64 games, ending with Ganon)
• Byleth: Let the Lesson Begin! (fights characters mirroring FE gameplay mechanics)
• Min Min: At ARMS' Length (fights characters with slowly increasing range, ending with Master Hand)
• Steve: An Unlikely Icon (fights characters from Nintendo and other 3rd party companies)
• Sephiroth: Fatal Fantasy (fights characters referencing the first 7 Final Fantasy games, fighting Marx in Round 6)

Bosses
• Samus: Fights Rathalos in the Final Round
• Fox: Fights Marx in the Final Round
• Jigglypuff: Fights Master Hand after sorting out Giant Donkey Kong in the Final Round
• Peach: Fights Giga Bowser in the Final Round
• Sheik: Fights Galleom in the Final Round
• Dr. Mario: Fights Marx in the Final Round
• Roy: Fights Ganon in the Final Round
• Meta Knight: Fights Marx in the Final Round
• Pit: Fights Dracula in the Final Round
• Wario: Fights Dracula in the Final Round
• Ike: Fights Dracula in the Final Round
• Lucas: Fights Dracula in the Final Round
• King Dedede: Fights Ganon in the Final Round
• Wii Fit Trainer: Fights Bowser/Giga Bowser in the Final Round
• Little Mac: Fights Bowser/Giga Bowser in the Final Round
• Palutena: Fights Ganon in the Final Round
• Shulk: Fights Galleom in Round 6, moving Mega Man to the Final Round
• Bayonetta: Fights Rathalos in Round 6, moving the Pits to Round 1
• Ridley: Fights Marx in the Final Round
• Simon: Fights Dracula in a Team Battle with Richter in the Final Round
• Richter: Fights Crazy Hand in the Final Round
• Incineroar: Fights Giga Bowser in the Final Round with the help of Greninja

I would just think of giving some of the fighters that had the Master Hand as their Final Bosses with a different final bosses in Classic Mode so that they don't have to fight Master Hand all the time.

1. Dracula needs some attention, I would give it to: Dark Samus, Ness, Dr. Mario, Palutena, Banjo & Kazooie, and Byleth.
  2. For Marx, I would think maybe give it to: King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Corrin.
  3. For Galleom, I would think giving it to: Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, and Shulk.
  4. For Rathalos, I would give it to: Ice Climbers and Diddy Kong
  5. For other bosses that gets other fighters as final challengers in their specific routes: Roy, Ike, and Cloud might get Sephiroth as their Classic Mode Routes Final Bosses and maybe Ken might face Terry and Min Min as Ken's Classic Mode Routes Final Bosses similar to like Terry has Ryu, Ken, and Alternate Color Terry becomes Terry's Classic Mode Routes Final Bosses.
Edited by King Marth 64

I managed to downloaded Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection on my Nintendo Switch, I did saw the new update patch in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just came out and I did managed to receive the Arthur Spirit.

I don't have Persona 5 Strikers yet. For the Sophia Spirit, since I do remembered that the Tickles Spirit did got added to the Dragon Quest Spirit Board sometime later after the Dragon Quest XI S Demo came out which the Tickle Spirits were released after Banjo & Kazooie DLC Content was added. How long did the Tickle Spirit usually got added to the Dragon Quest Spirit Board automatically after the official demo released since I don't know how many days or weeks would the Sophia Spirit takes to gets added to the Persona Spirit Board incase if players still haven't bought Persona 5 Strikers copy yet?

By the way, I was trying to think of something in my mind for a 2nd SNK Franchise Fighter would get into the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 incase if the music outside of Fatal Fury were already been added like Metal Slug. (I already thought of some like Crystalis or The Last Blade) Wasn't there already some Arms Music were added in the in-game data before Min Min joined the battle or there was no in-game music from Arms before Min Min DLC Content showed up?

• 2 weeks later...