Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

He might also be a playstation protagonist but I always found Zidane the best Final Fantasy fit for Nintendo. He's just so whimsical, friendly and lovable that he fits right in with the Nintendo cast. Despite the high death toll FF9 also has a certain imaginative, and fairytale-like aspects to it. 

He'd also fit in with other characters in terms of dynamic. Zidane is boyish and cheeky enough to be great buddies with Pit while at the same time being snarky enough to ridicule Pittoo. As a great big brother to Vivi he could look after the likes of Lucas. As a chivalrous knight he could assure Peach and Zelda he'd protect them and as a flirt he'd very quickly realize he's too intimidated to keep flirting with Bayonetta. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

So you act like a kid and throw a tantrum when someone doesnt agree with you, got it. I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

No. I was making a point. Being built on something doesn't equate to being that thing. Say something stupid, get a stupid answer.

FF15's problems were never its engine, visuals, or art. Those were rock solid. It was the shitty storytelling, gameplay, and structure, all of which FF7R fixed.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

No. I was making a point. Being built on something doesn't equate to being that thing. Say something stupid, get a stupid answer.

FF15's problems were never its engine, visuals, or art. Those were rock solid. It was the shitty storytelling, gameplay, and structure, all of which FF7R fixed.

Well your "point" didn't really come across. 

The gameplay was fine, maybe a little clunky at times, but so is FF7R (I.E, the aerial combat is terrible along with the camera flying everywhere it doesnt need to) and for the story, well, they didn't have to exactly think of a total new concept, since they kinda already had one. 

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well your "point" didn't really come across. 

The gameplay was fine, maybe a little clunky at times, but so is FF7R (I.E, the aerial combat is terrible along with the camera flying everywhere it doesnt need to) and for the story, well, they didn't have to exactly think of a total new concept, since they kinda already had one. 

What I'm getting at is that an opinion is: "X is greater than y." In your opinion, "y" could be greater than "x" and that would be fine. "X = Y" is not an opinion. It's factually inaccurate, unless x is y. 

I do not have to think that all of the design flaws of y apply to x, especially if I do not see them there. That's ridiculous. Even if "x" was a sequel to "y" with the same design philosophies, it would not be equal to "y," and would likely have a plethora of improvements made through experience.

If they made a Three Houses 2 with a revamped class system, rebalanced classes, new characters, a different story, and no calendar, it wouldn't be equal to Three Houses.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

Just now, Fabulously Olivier said:

What I'm getting at is that an opinion is: "X is greater than y." In your opinion, "y" could be greater than "x" and that would be fine. "X = Y" is not an opinion. It's factually inaccurate, unless x is y. 

I do not have to think that all of the design flaws of y apply to x, especially if I do not see them there. That's ridiculous. Even if "x" was a sequel to "y" with the same design philosophies, it would not be equal to "y," and would likely have a plethora of improvements made through experience.

Well as I just stated, the gameplay still has quite a few issues, that needed fixing. 

But that doesnt change that they have alot of similarities. 

Anyways, on topic, let's hope Sephiroth has his trademark high range, that'll get the sword character haters blood really going!

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Well as I just stated, the gameplay still has quite a few issues, that needed fixing. 

But that doesnt change that they have alot of similarities. 

Anyways, on topic, let's hope Sephiroth has his trademark high range, that'll get the sword character haters blood really going!

Looks like he does judging by the trailer.

Well, Sephiroth certainly adds to the running "heroes & villains" motif. First it was Ridley and his reveal trailer, then King K. Rool and his reveal trailer, and now Sephiroth.

I guess now, instead of just having Link beat Cloud to prove Ocarina of Time > Final Fantasy 7, I can also have Ganondorf beat Sephiroth to prove the same thing. I only kid of course; the OoT/FF7 fandom rivalry is a horse that's been dead for so long that it's fossilized.

By the way, doesn't this mean there's now three Square Enix reps in Ultimate? Cloud, DQ Hero and Sephiroth makes three. If I'm not mistaken, Konami has two/three in Snake and Simon/Richter Belmont, and Capcom, SEGA and Namco still have just one each in Megaman, Sonic and Pac-Man respectively. 

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Part of me is hoping that 9-11 will also be anime swordfighters.

Because sword haters are the basic bitches of the Smash community, and messing with them is funny.

I honestly don't get the anti-swordfighter perspective: almost every Smash fighter is either a hand-to-hand fighter, a swordsman, or a projectile user; that's the reason those are the three types of mii fighters. I can understand complaining about there being too many Marth-offshoots in the FE roster, but generalizing to "anime swordfighters" in general I just don't understand. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

SEGA and Namco still have just one each in Megaman, Sonic and Pac-Man respectively. 

Well technically Sega has 3 reps as they own both Atlus and Bayonetta

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Persona developers

Right. Thanks. 

So, SEGA has Sonic, Joker and Bayonetta, which makes three. There goes my hope for Welkin Gunther or Claude Wallace as DLC fighters.

Oh; I also forgot that Street Fighter is a Capcom series. 

So, if my math is correct:

Square Enix: 3

SEGA: 3

Konami: 2/3

Capcom: 2/3

Microsoft: 2 (Banjo & Kazooie and Steve)

Namco: 1

…Does Namco have anyone that could feasibly be a DLC fighter? They've fallen behind Microsoft in terms of Smash presentation. I almost feel sorry for them.

Edited by vanguard333

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Does Namco have anyone that could feasibly be a DLC fighter? They've fallen behind Microsoft in terms of Smash presentation. I almost feel sorry for them.

They have the Tales of series 

14 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Right. Thanks. 

So, SEGA has Sonic, Joker and Bayonetta, which makes three. There goes my hope for Welkin Gunther or Claude Wallace as DLC fighters.

Oh; I also forgot that Street Fighter is a Capcom series. 

So, if my math is correct:

Square Enix: 3

SEGA: 3

Konami: 2/3

Capcom: 2/3

Microsoft: 2 (Banjo & Kazooie and Steve)

Namco: 1

…Does Namco have anyone that could feasibly be a DLC fighter? They've fallen behind Microsoft in terms of Smash presentation. I almost feel sorry for them.

That guy from Dig Dug? I mean, his enemies were in Smash Run last time. They also make Dark Souls.  Klonoa. Anyone from Soul Calibur (lol more swordfighters). Splatterhouse's lead. Tekken has it's roster. Xenosaga apparently. Take your pick.

Edited by The Roger The Paladin

56 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Well, Sephiroth certainly adds to the running "heroes & villains" motif. First it was Ridley and his reveal trailer, then King K. Rool and his reveal trailer, and now Sephiroth.

I guess now, instead of just having Link beat Cloud to prove Ocarina of Time > Final Fantasy 7, I can also have Ganondorf beat Sephiroth to prove the same thing. I only kid of course; the OoT/FF7 fandom rivalry is a horse that's been dead for so long that it's fossilized.

By the way, doesn't this mean there's now three Square Enix reps in Ultimate? Cloud, DQ Hero and Sephiroth makes three. If I'm not mistaken, Konami has two/three in Snake and Simon/Richter Belmont, and Capcom, SEGA and Namco still have just one each in Megaman, Sonic and Pac-Man respectively. 

I honestly don't get the anti-swordfighter perspective: almost every Smash fighter is either a hand-to-hand fighter, a swordsman, or a projectile user; that's the reason those are the three types of mii fighters. I can understand complaining about there being too many Marth-offshoots in the FE roster, but generalizing to "anime swordfighters" in general I just don't understand. 

I don't really see how that's a motif. It's not like there's a balanced number or the number in which they appear in the smash pass is significant. It's just...that they include characters that happens to be heroes. And villains. And characters of relative moral neutrality.

22 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm, I dont recall judging anything all I said was "let's hope". Reading 10/10?

What? I literally don't know what you mean. What did you think I said?

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

You said I judge a character based off of the trailer, which is incorrect.

No...I was saying he does have long range from the looks of what's shown in the trailer. It was me stating my opinion. Why did you think I was putting words in your mouth?

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't really see how that's a motif. It's not like there's a balanced number or the number in which they appear in the smash pass is significant. It's just...that they include characters that happens to be heroes. And villains. And characters of relative moral neutrality.

Of course it's not balanced; the whole point of Ultimate is that "everyone is here" from the previous Smash Bros. games, which never had very many villains. What I meant was that, whenever a villain character is revealed, their trailer makes a big emphasis on, well, heroes vs villains. 

1. Ridley's trailer had Samus, Mario and Megaman enter a dark room, Mario and Megaman get taken out by Ridley in a manner like that of characters getting picked off one-by-one in a horror movie, and then Ridley taunts Samus by holding up Mario's cap with his tail.
  2. King K. Rool's trailer had Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong watching a montage of heroes in Smash fighting their respective villains in Smash before King K. Rool shows up.
  3. And now, Sephiroth's trailer has Cloud recognize Sephiroth with a look of shock and horror, has Sephiroth say he shall give Smash despair, and focuses a lot on Cloud vs Sephiroth, especially at the end. 

38 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Of course it's not balanced; the whole point of Ultimate is that "everyone is here" from the previous Smash Bros. games, which never had very many villains. What I meant was that, whenever a villain character is revealed, their trailer makes a big emphasis on, well, heroes vs villains. 

1. Ridley's trailer had Samus, Mario and Megaman enter a dark room, Mario and Megaman get taken out by Ridley in a manner like that of characters getting picked off one-by-one in a horror movie, and then Ridley taunts Samus by holding up Mario's cap with his tail.
  2. King K. Rool's trailer had Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong watching a montage of heroes in Smash fighting their respective villains in Smash before King K. Rool shows up.
  3. And now, Sephiroth's trailer has Cloud recognize Sephiroth with a look of shock and horror, has Sephiroth say he shall give Smash despair, and focuses a lot on Cloud vs Sephiroth, especially at the end. 

Eh. I think you're still reaching a bit to call that a motif. Characters doing what they do with other characters from their franchise that are already in the game is pretty much expected.

You know, it is kind of a pity they didn't bring back that montage they did at the start of Ridley and K. Rool's trailers. Teasing a new antagonist joining the roster is by itself good at building up excitement. Options would flash through the mind: King Boo? Malos? Eggman? Wily?...FREAKING SEPHIROTH!?

Given Seph's popularity, it makes sense that he's the first 3P villain to join the roster. And if we were going to add a FF villain, it only makes sense to add the one opposed to the FF hero in Smash, right? It's not like other villains and FF characters won't ever get a chance. If they do a third pass, they might dedicate that one to adding more bad guys to Smash, like Eggman, Wily & Robot Masters, M. Bison, or Cortex. Shoot, for all we know there might be one or two more coming this pass!

But I'm still holding out hope for Crash and Shantae myself. Once they're in Smash, then they can start adding more villains.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

But I'm still holding out hope for Crash and Shantae myself. Once they're in Smash, then they can start adding more villains.

I'm here for both of them - Crash, in particular, is my most desired new fighter. I do wonder, though, whether they plan to finish the second pass with a Nintendo character - as they did the first one? If so, there would only be two more third-party characters coming.