Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oof. Dimitri may or may not lose an eye. He's an unfortunate one, that one😂

Hubert lost his house leader assistant role😂

LOL. Sakurai spoiled the opening cutscene. And tries to tease about some character's very secretive backstories smh

On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, Flere210 said:

This is a stereotype. Not only spears can be used for more than stabbing, some weapons are way more flexible than sword. The poleaxe, a weapon that is pretty much never used in fiction is by far the most flexible weapon in medieval combat.

From what I've seen them do in some games:

• Stab (in multiple directions)
  • Slash (in multiple directions)- Yes, if it doesn't have just a needle-like tip, polearms can slash, the naginata is more slasher than a stabber I think.
  • Use the blunt end of the polearm to pummel your enemy with a quick bash.
  • Spin Slash
  • Throwing it as a javelin.
  • Pole vault- highly unrealistic, but Smash threw realism out the window from day 1. Yoshi putting eaten enemies in eggs anyone?

What can swords do?

• Stab (in multiple directions)
  • Slash (in multiple directions)
  • Spin Slash

Hey look! The sword can do less stuff than the spear! But Counter and energy shots and Dolphin Slashes? Nothing about these are inherent to swords, they're magical fantasy touches spears could get too.

-This has nothing to do with the Byleth reveal, I just wanted to respond to this from yesterday.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

i've never played an ass creed and i knew his name was altaïr

that said other regions had X ASSASSIN'S CREED and a guy on the discord posited that NoA just fucked up getting the rights to the name in time and improvised

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't like that it was SUPER SMASH BROS X ALTAIR

Just, what? The series is called Assassin's Creed, not Altair. Also god I felt like a dork for knowing the name of the guy from the first game. Nobody does.

Maybe they are planning Ezio for Smash? I mean, if they are planning an AC rep, it would have to be Ezio.

Sakurai's history lesson for Fire Emblem had my head in my hands. He's so right yet so wrong in thinking "smashers probably ought to know what Fire Emblem is, finally".

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Maybe they are planning Ezio for Smash? I mean, if they are planning an AC rep, it would have to be Ezio.

Would it have to be Ezio? Ubisoft is still making Assassin's Creed games with new characters. Maybe they'll have the newest male/female protagonists, with Ezio and other previous Assassins as alts similar to Hero's situation. But choosing Ezio would be like "man, Sakurai, it's been twelve games since Ezio's last one, get with the times".

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Sakurai's history lesson for Fire Emblem had my head in my hands. He's so right yet so wrong in thinking "smashers probably ought to know what Fire Emblem is, finally".

Would it have to be Ezio? Ubisoft is still making Assassin's Creed games with new characters. Maybe they'll have the newest male/female protagonists, with Ezio and other previous Assassins as alts similar to Hero's situation. But choosing Ezio would be like "man, Sakurai, it's been twelve games since Ezio's last one, get with the times".

Well, Ezio is still the face of the franchise and its main character, and he is still the only AC character with multiple games (a trilogy, in fact).

There is nothing whatsoever stopping them from having other assassins (namely Cassandra) as alts, but Ezio has yet to be dethroned.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well, Ezio is still the face of the franchise and its main character, and he is still the only AC character with multiple games (a trilogy, in fact).

There is nothing whatsoever stopping them from having other assassins (namely Cassandra) as alts, but Ezio has yet to be dethroned.

None of Ezio's three games sold as much as 3. And 3, 4, and Rogue are the only games to get a switch port. You're telling me you see no way any other character would be THE choice?

For a moment, I thought they were announcing six additional DLC passes, like as in over 30 new fighters. 🤣 My bro was quick to correct me.

So, six new fighters this time, eh? Here's hoping Crash and Shantae are among them. And now we know first parties can in fact be among the DLC. I know Krystal as an Ascended Fighter is a long shot, but she would make me very happy.

Only Elma could evoke any particular fondness and cheer in me. However, she has very strong competition in Rex & Pyra for a Xenoblade slot, far stronger than she is b/c Sakurai named Rex as a failed desired inclusion, and XC2 is much more popular and recent than XCX.

Understanding why Rex almost certainly will triumph over her makes it hard to be angry at him. And, I do like Rex as a pixel person as well, he's a good kid. So, I feel guilty and sorry for wanting Elma to shove him off a cliff in Theosoir, even if in this metaphorical sense it's the only way she could best him. I as an assumption rule out any possibility of Sakurai squeezing both of them in, each DLC slot is too expensive for two Xenoblade reps.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Only Elma could evoke any particular fondness and cheer in me. However, she has very strong competition in Rex & Pyra for a Xenoblade slot, far stronger than she is b/c Sakurai named Rex as a failed desired inclusion, and XC2 is much more popular and recent than XCX.

Understanding why Rex almost certainly will triumph over her makes it hard to be angry at him. And, I do like Rex as a pixel person as well, he's a good kid. So, I feel guilty and sorry for wanting Elma to shove him off a cliff in Theosoir, even if in this metaphorical sense it's the only way she could best him. I as an assumption rule out any possibility of Sakurai squeezing both of them in, each DLC slot is too expensive for two Xenoblade reps.

In regards to Xenoblade, what if Rex was the playable character, KOS MOS was his surprise third blade, and Elma got in as an assist trophy.

Pretty good way to represent a long and storied franchise, yeah?

21 minutes ago, Etheus said:

In regards to Xenoblade, what if Rex was the playable character, KOS MOS was his surprise third blade, and Elma got in as an assist trophy.

It can't be "long and storied" without 

latest?cb=20150528072312

...but we all know Square is keeping this cadaver in a top-secret vault for some godforsaken reason. 

Elma as an Assist Trophy, well it isn't playable 😒. But sometimes, you have to shut up and accept reality, an AT is fair. Barring a future Smash game if XCX2 has been released by then, is recent relative to New Smash's development, and Elma still occupies the leading role, but this is undefined variable atop undefined variable.

Blade KOS-MOS would be a way to squeeze her in, if a little forced that she can't be her full XS self. Though she is a quintessential crossover character after so many appearances. And, whilst I know she has some gunplay and R-Blades(?) on her arms that sorta resemble Elma's Dual Swords + Dual Guns style, she would be done a great disservice as an Elma Echo and her vice versa.

More likely, either KOS-MOS or Elma will have to settle for being neither AT nor a playable character in any capacity. Not every franchise can be as lucky as FE and get a new character for every game in every new Smash SoV don't exist, nor Jugdral

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Assassin's creed is the weirdest inclusion, looks like ubisoft and nintendo are really close.

The companies have been pretty chummy. Most notably Ubisoft was the only major publisher giving the poor Wii-U the time of day. 

51 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Actually there's been a lot of rumors of KOS MOS being the next Xenoblade rep. Not very reliable rumors but she has been the source of conversations a lot on Gamefaqs. The big reason for that was Nintendo ninja's taking down a mod with a playable KOS MOS. Its not the most striking evidence but KOS MOS does have a very dedicated following.  

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Actually there's been a lot of rumors of KOS MOS being the next Xenoblade rep. Not very reliable rumors but she has been the source of conversations a lot on Gamefaqs. The big reason for that was Nintendo ninja's taking down a mod with a playable KOS MOS. Its not the most striking evidence but KOS MOS does have a very dedicated following.  

Just bear in mind that even a good number of people at nintendo were unaware that byleth existed so I think rumors should be taken with enough salt to dehydrate an elephant at this point, I really wonder how nothing seems to get out anymore or even before ultimate was revealed, nothing, just nothing.

I think sakurai has hostages, every time a leak is true he executes one of them, sometimes when a leak is half true he just tortures one of them within an inch of their life, he has since lost it, this is the only area he has any power anymore, he has been locked in the office for two years now and now that he has fulfilled his end of the bargain but has been rewarded with further imprisonment many more will suffer, don't buy smash pass 2, if only for his victims' sake.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Anyone else expect a general Nintendo Direct in the upcoming weeks, which would likely include the next character reveal? I figure even if it's early to be showing them off, they'll still wanna sell people on the next batch early, especially if they were sour on this first wave.

15 minutes ago, Johann said:

Anyone else expect a general Nintendo Direct in the upcoming weeks, which would likely include the next character reveal? I figure even if it's early to be showing them off, they'll still wanna sell people on the next batch early, especially if they were sour on this first wave.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed. Maybe not in January. They might want Byleth to release first. But February for sure.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Well, at least XCX fans would get something. Xenoblade 2 fans have been an expansion, DLC and a Rex Mii Costume. What have XCX fans gotten so far? Nada. If Elma got in as an assist trophy, I would be glad to see that XCX at least got something, but I would prefer to see Elma as a fighter than an assist trophy.