Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm certainly backing Spyro. I always preferred his games. 

I've only played a little Spyro before, but I do like him more as a character myself and then there's my good friend Dragoncat who'd absolutely love having him in Smash. Spyro's her fav.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If Crash gets in, Spyro should too imo. They both got their games remade and stuff and have even had their games share a GBA game cartridge before. I know, because I still have it. It was my brother's.

I agree. I just don't know if they would get in on the same DLC pass. Then again I didn't expect DLC fighter #5 to be a first party character.

2 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I agree. I just don't know if they would get in on the same DLC pass. Then again I didn't expect DLC fighter #5 to be a first party character.

This, I agree with. You generally want to sell these passes to the broadest audience possible, and I'm pretty sure each pass will have one designated nostalgia platformer slot (it was Banjo for this one) to sell to that crowd.

But that may well result in one of these characters not making it at all, as a third fighters pass may be unlikely. Fighters Pass 2 has a whopping 2 year release window, and while such windows are estimated with a great deal of wiggle room for legal reasons, I do have to imagine that there is some degree of truth to "this pass will take much longer."

Really the only thing I could ask for out of this next fighter's pass is Monster Hunter. I already have Joker and Byleth and I don't really need much more than that. Just give me monster hunter and we're all good.

The only thing i really want that are actually possible(an SMT rep i consider impossible because of Joker for example) are Dante, Paper Mario and literrally anyone that use a spear. The characters that i would really hate are Joker, Master Chief and Byleth, two got in meaning there is no risk in them being in Pack 2 and i can sleep peacefully knowjng that the next character is not going to be something i hate. unless they troll me with yet another fire emblem swordsman, this would make me go berserk.

Edited by Flere210

20 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

and i can sleep peacefully knowjng that the next character is not going to be something i hate. unless they troll me with yet another fire emblem swordsman, this would make me go berserk.

Flash forward to April 2021 for the long awaited fourth character of the pass. We find Sakurai giving us his demonstration of Seliph from Fire Emblem: Echoes of the Holy War coming out the same month.

41 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Flash forward to April 2021 for the long awaited fourth character of the pass. We find Sakurai giving us his demonstration of Seliph from Fire Emblem: Echoes of the Holy War coming out the same month.

I can't even imagine a future in which Seliph is picked over Sigurd.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

This, I agree with. You generally want to sell these passes to the broadest audience possible, and I'm pretty sure each pass will have one designated nostalgia platformer slot (it was Banjo for this one) to sell to that crowd.

But that may well result in one of these characters not making it at all, as a third fighters pass may be unlikely. Fighters Pass 2 has a whopping 2 year release window, and while such windows are estimated with a great deal of wiggle room for legal reasons, I do have to imagine that there is some degree of truth to "this pass will take much longer."

If Crash and Spyro both are to join Smash, it would make sense to announce them back-to-back. Start with Crash's reveal, then segue into Spyro's. Shoot, for all we know they're the reason the second pass has six fighters instead of five.

2 hours ago, Jave said:

I’ve made what’s essentially my wishlist for FP2:

Sadly, I'd say Dixie's chances seem to be minimal with how many spirits are already in from games she's been in to the point that there's not really much justification for a spirit board. Sakurai mentioned that all DLC characters from the 2nd fighters pass would also get a stage, music and spirits, and DKC seems pretty loaded on spirits.

Okay, so, my six:

Devil May Cry

Dante or Nero. Would prefer Nero. Dante is far more likely, even if the series has been slowly pushing Nero as the future protagonist.

Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot

Spyro the Dragon

Spyro

NieR

2B

Tales

To complete the JRPG all stars, add a Tales rep.

As for my choice, Yuri & Rapede. Because this good boy will soften the blow of another sword wielder. And the two of them could be a lot of fun. Not as a swap moveset, but in tandem.

Doom Slayer

What does it cost to license Metallica anyway? Oh well. Not my problem.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Same; Kaga liked Seliph more than Sigurd and though Sig's journey was a mere foreshadowing of Seliph's. How odd that seems, given Gen 1 is usually given more narrative acclaim than the second. But who knows how a post FE4 Remake poll would rank them.

If every new fighter is getting a stage, then what of a hypothetical Elma/Rex? What would they get? Hopefully not Primordia or Gormott, though they are the first areas in their games, which is a huge help for their chances of being the stage, they'd be too samey with Gaur Plains already in.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Horses and flier units have had ample opportunity to make it into smash, leading me to wonder if Sakurai has repeatedly shot down the idea due to concerns of "animal abuse" complaints or just the ridiculous workload of trying to animate a horse and person jumping, attacking, and recovering together. And that's all before we take into account the constant trend of blue haired sword lords being favored over all other archetypes from the series. Hence why I'd expect Seliph having greater chances than Sigurd, who can't dismount. And a dismounted Sigurd would be about as disappointing as a Byleth who can't use his crest or divine pulse.

Didn't Sakurai originally want to include Leif over Roy though, not either Seliph or Sigurd? I imagine he'd want to try adding him again if he were to go with a Jugdral lord.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Didn't Sakurai originally want to include Leif over Roy though, not either Seliph or Sigurd? I imagine he'd want to try adding him again if he were to go with a Jugdral lord.

Leif was the main character of the newest FE at the time, and Sakurai did want to include him. But he was encouraged to use the character from their upcoming game instead.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Sadly, I'd say Dixie's chances seem to be minimal with how many spirits are already in from games she's been in to the point that there's not really much justification for a spirit board. Sakurai mentioned that all DLC characters from the 2nd fighters pass would also get a stage, music and spirits, and DKC seems pretty loaded on spirits.

There's still most of the enemies and bosses to represent, plus Kass and Kludge from Barrel Blast are conspicuously missing. We also don't have Tiny Kong in her post-DKRDS design. I'll whip up a prospective 11 right now:

1. Klump
  2. Krusha
  3. Kannon
  4. Kutlass
  5. Klubba
  6. Kopter
  7. KAOS
  8. Tiny Kong (Mario Super Sluggers)
  9. Kass
  10. Kludge
  11. Bashmaster

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Horses and flier units have had ample opportunity to make it into smash, leading me to wonder if Sakurai has repeatedly shot down the idea due to concerns of "animal abuse" complaints or just the ridiculous workload of trying to animate a horse and person jumping, attacking, and recovering together. And that's all before we take into account the constant trend of blue haired sword lords being favored over all other archetypes from the series. Hence why I'd expect Seliph having greater chances than Sigurd, who can't dismount. And a dismounted Sigurd would be about as disappointing as a Byleth who can't use his crest or divine pulse.

I've figured out how to implement horses as mounts: 1) the horse itself cannot jump, the rider can jump off to dismount; 2) the horse can sprint using the attack button, trampling opponents in its path; and 3) if the rider is hit hard enough, they will be knocked off the horse.

Edited by Lord_Brand

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Leif was the main character of the newest FE at the time, and Sakurai did want to include him. But he was encouraged to use the character from their upcoming game instead.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But Sakurai seemed to also like Leif, he just liked Roy's look better, or so I heard.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

In retrospect, I think we really lost out in that exchange. Roy is cool and all, but Leif is brimming with moveset potential. 

Yeah, and I think Leif looks cooler myself.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and I think Leif looks cooler myself.

But the real tragedy is Melee's release date. Imagine the game we might have gotten if Melee had an extra couple years in the oven. Not only would it be bigger, but most of the Gamecube's/GBA's iconic library came out after Melee.

Melee came out in 2001.

Fire Emblem Blazing Sword - 2003 (we could have had Hector or Lyn instead of Roy!)

Star Fox Adventures - 2002 (Krystal was relevant!)

Viewtiful Joe - 2003

Tales of Symphonia - 2003

Path of Radiance - 2005

Resident Evil 4 - 2005

When you think about it, the rushed development for a 2001 release was the worst time for Melee.

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

But the real tragedy is Melee's release date. Imagine the game we might have gotten if Melee had an extra couple years in the oven. Not only would it be bigger, but most of the Gamecube's/GBA's iconic library came out after Melee.

Melee came out in 2001.

Fire Emblem Blazing Sword - 2003 (we could have had Hector or Lyn instead of Roy!)

Star Fox Adventures - 2002 (Krystal was relevant!)

Viewtiful Joe - 2003

Tales of Symphonia - 2003

Path of Radiance - 2005

Resident Evil 4 - 2005

When you think about it, the rushed development for a 2001 release was the worst time for Melee.

Wow, I see. I would've preferred Hector or Lyn over Roy myself. Krystal is pretty too. And PoR could've meant Ike in Smash sooner!

I'm grateful to have Ike in the series regardless though. :3

Which reminds me, I picked up a Richter Amiibo today and I like to consider him and Ike headband bros/buddies because they're both cool buff dudes with cool headbands! I'd play Castlevania for Richter too, but it seems kinda dark for my tastes. Still, at least my Richter Amiibo can hang out with my Ike!

Edited by Anacybele

19 minutes ago, Etheus said:

More like Hector or Eliwood, actually. If Melee had been delayed, it would mean FE would not have gained the popularity abroad early enough for Blazing Sword to be the first localized game. Lyn and her story were created to be the tutorial for western audiences. So... Lyn wouldn't exist. At least, as we know her, since the concept might've been picked up for Sacred Swords instead, or so.

Though, on that same note... man, now you make me ponder on the possibilities. Maybe Golden Sun could've had a shot in a Melee that got released after the first two games (The Broken Seal was 2001, with The Lost Age in 2003).

Edited by Acacia Sgt