Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:
  Hide contents

I'd be okay with that. Generally, the only Mii costumes I like are ones that completely obstruct the Mii model's face, and the helm and visor would do that.

Spoiler

We should also have the E1M1 theme come with him. Even with how great other tracks (like BFG Division) are.

7 hours ago, Etheus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'd be okay with that. Generally, the only Mii costumes I like are ones that completely obstruct the Mii model's face, and the helm and visor would do that.

Spoiler

So, Chibi Doom Slayer?

Spoiler

Or it could be they’re covering up. IIRC, Kamyia, the director of Bayonetta, did the same thing before Bayonetta’s reveal in 3DS.

But who knows.

7 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Just a general series thought; if I was in control of the FE side of the Smash roster, it would look like:

-Marth

-Roy

-Ike

-Lyn

-Robin

-Azura

-Celica

-Claude

I'd be cool with this. Except I'd replace Lyn with Ephraim. But other than that, good choices.

19 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Just a general series thought; if I was in control of the FE side of the Smash roster, it would look like:

-Marth

-Roy

-Ike

-Lyn

-Robin

-Azura

-Celica

-Claude

I think I'd do this:

-Marth (with Lucina echo)

-Roy (with Chrom echo)

-Ike

-Lyn

-Ephraim

-Robin

-Corrin (sorry Azura, Corrin actually had a pretty decent moveset)

-Byleth (hey they look fun!)

So,  basically, keep everyone while including Lyn and Ephraim.

33 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

-Marth

-Roy

-Ike

-Lyn

-Robin

-Azura

-Celica

-Claude

Interesting. If I were in charge, the list would look like this:

• Marth (Echo: Lucina)
  • Lyn (Echo: Alm?)
  • Ike
  • Micaiah
  • Robin (Echo: Celica)
  • Azura
  • House Leaders (Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude; Byleth instructs from the background like Pokémon Trainer)

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Tiki(why no one else want her 😞 )

I think it's because she's probably better as an assist trophy. In Fire Emblem, she only really has the one breath attack, and anything added to her moveset would likely be very similar to something Charizard or Ridley already does. That's not to say she can't be made into a unique fighter; just that it would be more difficult. 

3 hours ago, Perkilator said:

-Roy

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

-Roy (with Chrom echo)

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Roy

Why Roy? He only got one Japan-only game, was only put in Melee to advertise the game, his gimmick is that he's like Marth but with the tip-effect near the handle, and he's established as a poor fighter in his own game.

As a male redhead, I can't believe that I'm saying one of the few male redheads in Smash probably shouldn't be in Smash, but... yeah; I just don't see the value in keeping him in Smash. His time in Melee was great, but I do think he's overstayed his welcome.

Then again, keeping his appearance in Melee + everyone is back... I see. Never mind. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Why Roy? He only got one Japan-only game, was only put in Melee to advertise the game, his gimmick is that he's like Marth but with the tip-effect near the handle, and he's established as a poor fighter in his own game.

As a male redhead, I can't believe that I'm saying one of the few male redheads in Smash probably shouldn't be in Smash, but... yeah; I just don't see the value in keeping him in Smash. His time in Melee was great, but I do think he's overstayed his welcome.

Then again, keeping his appearance in Melee + everyone is back... I see. Never mind. 

I like the way he plays in all the Smash games he's in. It's as simple as that for me. He's always done well for me.

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Considering how popular Roy is, it makes sense. Also, who doesn't like his flaming effects on his attacks? They feel satisfying to connect. That's what I think, anyway. Also, Roy's our boy, of course.

Honestly I wish the FE reps in Smash looked something like this...

• Marth- Sword moveset. Represents the Lord class.
  • Robin- Tomes and weapon durability representation. Represent the Mage class.
  • Byleth- Keep his Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow moveset since you had the freedom to use any weapon you wanted in that game. Represent Avatars I guess? even though I have Robin and Corrin here as well.
  • Anna- Rounds out the weapon types used in FE by using Daggers and Staves in her moveset. Represents the Trickster class (and by extension the thief and cleric classes)
  • Either Tiki or Corrin- Would prefer Tiki if Sakurai and crew could ever get figure out a good moveset for her but since Tiki is probably better off as a Assist Trophy I guess Corrin is the best option for Manakete representation because at least the moveset Smash already gave them is different (even if they are the most hated of the bunch).
  • Azura- Brings in a lance and can also have water manipulation as part of her moveset. Also is a good representative for the Dancer class.

There, six completely different and unique movesets for Smash based on the Fire Emblem series.

Edited by NSSKG151

21 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

My idea of Tiki was simply to use all the dragonstones from mystery instead of just divine dragon. When you have also wyvern, ice dragon, fire dragon and mage dragon there are many options.

I just looked up what she's like in FE Warriors, and I was thinking she could use a mix of hand-to-hand and Dragonstonr combat. Here's the video I looked up:

Byleth is fun! I like how their jab is basically Ike's but with a continuous effect. XD Also, they shout "Failnaught!" and "Aredbhar!" and "Amyr!" sometimes when they use the moves that utilize those weapons. Neat detail.

Also, anyone else getting a strange bug in Home Run Contest where their right joy-con is unresponsive? I'm getting this and it only happens in that mode. I don't get this issue anywhere else in the game. I've been playing Byleth and stuff just fine in normal Smash matches and training with no problem.

Okay, Byleth's classic route is actually pretty cool. The ending anyway, the fight against 3 Byleths... no. But that end? That was cool.

In my 9.9 run of it, Roy was the only one alive... dats mah boi.

Edited by Xenomata

If I was in charge of the Smash reps from FE. . .uhhh. . .

Marth (Lucina echo): Dude's been here since Melee, so he can stay.  Lucina can be Marth sans tipper.

Roy: Like Marth, one of the original two, and I have a giant soft spot for him.

Ephraim: Because FE has more than just swords!

Micaiah: I personally don't like her as a character.  But she's from Tellius, is female, and a mage - three really cool niches.

Corrin: Out of the rest, being able to transform into a dragon is the most unique.  And even if I'm not overly fond of Fates, they deserve some mention.

Leif (Master Knight): He can take care of the rest of the weapons, as well as be the Jugdral rep.

Sothis: Infinitely more interesting than Byleth as a character, and can also do dragon things.  Perhaps this is where she goes after Chapter 12!

That should cover all the continents!

With a reboot in mind:

Sword - Marth, Ike, Roy, Lucina, Chrom

Neutral special replaced with Ike's Rush.

Up special replaced with Aether.

Removed tipper/sweetspot mechanic.

Mage - MRobin, FRobin, Celica, Micaiah, Lilina, Lewyn

Sword moves removed. Uses a mix of all types of magic. 

Lancer - Dimitri, Ephraim, Azura, Nephenee

This quick, highly mobile moveset relies on dashing, pole-vaulting, and weak, long range attacks to keep up the pressure.

Axe - Edelgard, Hector, Minerva, Camilla, Greil

A slow, powerful moveset reminiscient of Ike's

Bow - Claude, Takumi, Innes, Shinon, Lyn, Alm

Utilizes a mix of multiple fast & slow mid & long range bow attacks with fast, weak sword attacks.

Edited by Etheus

Why would you group Ike with the other sword lords? His fighting style is completely different.

Hey, what if Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector were all part of a rotating trio? Smash could use more duo and trio teams. Heck, I've even suggested a quartet, the Warriors of Light.

18 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Why would you group Ike with the other sword lords? His fighting style is completely different.

Hey, what if Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector were all part of a rotating trio? Smash could use more duo and trio teams. Heck, I've even suggested a quartet, the Warriors of Light.

It's more that, if the goal is to clean things up, small differences in fighting style are less important than say... having as many characters in as few spots as possible. To put it simply, it does not matter if x fights somewhat differently to y from the same franchise - if they use the same weapon, it's advisable that they fight similarly.

Also, fighting styles are barely a thing that gets elaborated on in franchise at all, and are largely fabricated/interpreted in Smash to begin with. Ike's lack of speed in particular is a form of creative license, as it's actually rather high in PoR. 

To some degree, the tweaks I made to the Marth style (making it more accomodating to Ike) actually create not only a more viable moveset, but a more accurate one as well. Ike is not a slow heavy hitter. He's an all-rounder, and that makes his feats of strength even more impressive.

Edited by Etheus

24 minutes ago, Etheus said:

It's more that, if the goal is to clean things up, small differences in fighting style are less important than say... having as many characters in as few spots as possible. To put it simply, it does not matter if x fights somewhat differently to y from the same franchise - if they use the same weapon, it's advisable that they fight similarly.

Also, fighting styles are barely a thing that gets elaborated on in franchise at all, and are largely fabricated/interpreted in Smash to begin with. Ike's lack of speed in particular is a form of creative license, as it's actually rather high in PoR. 

To some degree, the tweaks I made to the Marth style (making it more accomodating to Ike) actually create not only a more viable moveset, but a more accurate one as well. Ike is not a slow heavy hitter. He's an all-rounder, and that makes his feats of strength even more impressive.

While we're at it, Marth's signature style is fighting with a rapier which involves primarily thrusting attacks. Yet in Smash it's all very wide slashes with only his Shield Breaker (and only since Brawl) being a thrust. He's also meant to have a shield. Most of Marth's fighting style actually comes from swordmaster animations in the Jugdral games.