Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

33 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Any particular music wishes for Sephiroth, the obvious One Winged Angel aside?

I'm really hoping for the Due Recompense battle music from FF7R. Would be delightful to Smash to.

I know there's no way they'll actually do it, but it'd be pretty great if instead of being FF7 focused, they brought us all the final boss themes from across the series (or at least from the first 10 games).

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get new FFVII spirits, and we should because Sephiroth's coming with a new Spirit Board, then I hope Cloud's Fighter Spirit gets updated with his original artwork. I assume the spirits will be using Nomura's artwork for the original game, in which case there's no reason for Cloud to not use art from his own series.

I don't think we'll get spirits outside FFVII as Joker and Hero didn't have spirits for characters outside their home games, but I'm wondering about the Mii costumes Sephiroth will come with. Chances are that Geno's reckoning will finally come, and maybe we'll get costumes for FF characters outside VII since Joker came with Persona 3 and 4 costumes.

Edited by Lightchao42

8 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Given Seph's popularity, it makes sense that he's the first 3P villain to join the roster. And if we were going to add a FF villain, it only makes sense to add the one opposed to the FF hero in Smash, right? It's not like other villains and FF characters won't ever get a chance. If they do a third pass, they might dedicate that one to adding more bad guys to Smash, like Eggman, Wily & Robot Masters, M. Bison, or Cortex. Shoot, for all we know there might be one or two more coming this pass!

Not to mention the fact that he's probably in the top 5 of almost every, "Classic/Greatest/Most Significant Video Game villains ever" list; probably up there with characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, Lich King and GLaDOS, and that he's probably the Final Fantasy villain that audiences are most familiar with (he's certainly the only FF villain I had ever heard of back when I knew next-to-nothing about Final Fantasy). 

8 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

You know, it is kind of a pity they didn't bring back that montage they did at the start of Ridley and K. Rool's trailers. Teasing a new antagonist joining the roster is by itself good at building up excitement. Options would flash through the mind: King Boo? Malos? Eggman? Wily?...FREAKING SEPHIROTH!?

Yeah; seeing the montage again probably would've been cool. 

On 12/11/2020 at 10:50 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good point. If he could rotate between Paladin and Dark Knight, it could make for a solid gimmick. Use the powers of the dark blade to KO your enemies, but at the price of increasing your %. Paladin would need either: minor healing abilities, heavy weight, a defensive moveset, or a combination of the three to be a counterweight to dark side's risk. To borrow from the special battle where Cecil undergoes his shift, if a Paladin will sheath his sword, the Dark Knight will draw his. Attack and defend as the battle tells you.

What???????😮

One of the bad/alternative endings or something? And why the reference to a rock band whose singer has too much chorus?

I made a moveset

My projections:

Spirits

• Aerith Gainsborough
  • Tifa Lockhart
  • Barret Wallace
  • Red XIII
  • Cait Sith
  • Cid Highwind
  • Yuffie Kisaragi
  • Vincent Valentine
  • Zack Fair
  • Professor Hojo

Mii Costumes

• Swordfighter - Warrior of Light
  • Brawler - Tifa
  • Gunner - Barret, Geno, Quote (Cave Story)

ok so, while i would've liked Sora better, and while i would've preferred a character from a different FF (Squall, Tidus, Terra, Celes, Kefka), i just can't but be extremely hyped for Sephiroth
i never wanted to believe he was possible because i used to think they would've shortened his Masamune, but i'm so happy to see they didn't do that

anyway, as for Spirits, it's pretty safe to assume we're getting Tifa, Barret, Aerith, maybe Yuffie, Cid, Red XIII and Vincent, and i hope we also get JENOVA and Safer Sephiroth

Mii Costumes are pretty safe bets as well: Tifa (Brawler), Barret/Vincent (Gunner) and Aerith/Yuffie (Swordfighter), BUT my personal pick would be Red XIII (Brawler), that would be hilarious

music... that's tough, since we heard Life Will Change playing during Joker's trailer, but that track wasn't added to Smash, so it's possible that One Winged Angel will share the same fate (of course i don't want it to)

JENOVA's ost would be amazing too, but what i'd really love to hear is an action remix of Aerith's Theme

these 5 days just aren't passing fast enough

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

ok so, while i would've liked Sora better, and while i would've preferred a character from a different FF (Squall, Tidus, Terra, Celes, Kefka), i just can't but be extremely hyped for Sephiroth
i never wanted to believe he was possible because i used to think they would've shortened his Masamune, but i'm so happy to see they didn't do that

anyway, as for Spirits, it's pretty safe to assume we're getting Tifa, Barret, Aerith, maybe Yuffie, Cid, Red XIII and Vincent, and i hope we also get JENOVA and Safer Sephiroth

Mii Costumes are pretty safe bets as well: Tifa (Brawler), Barret/Vincent (Gunner) and Aerith/Yuffie (Swordfighter), BUT my personal pick would be Red XIII (Brawler), that would be hilarious

music... that's tough, since we heard Life Will Change playing during Joker's trailer, but that track wasn't added to Smash, so it's possible that One Winged Angel will share the same fate (of course i don't want it to)

JENOVA's ost would be amazing too, but what i'd really love to hear is an action remix of Aerith's Theme

these 5 days just aren't passing fast enough

I find that to be pretty much impossible with how iconic it is. Then again they've been ridiculously stingy on Final Fantasy music before. So I'd say if we're not getting One Winged Angel then we're not getting any new music period.

I'd prefer if it was another character, I'd argue if he doesn't deserve a place at all, he's there because of FF7R, but dammit, I just can't not be hyped. Stupid psychopath in a good game.

Sephiroth is just that cool.

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't his sword varied wildly in size over the years? I've seen images of him where it wasn't much longer than his height, and images where it was almost twice as long as himself.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't his sword varied wildly in size over the years? I've seen images of him where it wasn't much longer than his height, and images where it was almost twice as long as himself.

well yes, but i was mostly referring to Sephiroth's original artwork for FFVII, where his Masamune's blade is basically as long as his whole body

Can we talk about Sephiroth stalking Cloud into Smash Bros being the most in-character thing ever?

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

inb4 people complain Sephiroth has too much range, which they will.

Doc main here, we always find a way with our stubby little arms and Ganondorf level speed.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Does Sephiroth... have an Arsene gimmick? God I hope not, Arsene was a balance nightmare and that wouldnt change here.

That's what I was thinking when his wing sprouted in the trailer after taking hits. But I love in jrpgs when they enter "pissy boss mode" at half health. And in general I'm anticipating him to be pretty slow with his dramatic animations and walking around seemingly in slow motion. In this game they've been pretty good about giving characters with absurd range really low movement speed with Byleth, Min Min, Simon, etc. 

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Doc main here, we always find a way with our stubby little arms and Ganondorf level speed.

That's what I was thinking when his wing sprouted in the trailer after taking hits. But I love in jrpgs when they enter "pissy boss mode" at half health. And in general I'm anticipating him to be pretty slow with his dramatic animations and walking around seemingly in slow motion. In this game they've been pretty good about giving characters with absurd range really low movement speed with Byleth, Min Min, Simon, etc. 

My heart bleeds for you my friend. 

It is indeed an RPG staple! 

I dunno, characters like Pika, Peach, Joker, etc, have absurd range with great speed, so let's hope. TBH, their swordies hitboxes are aligned much better than fist characters.

20 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Can we talk about Sephiroth stalking Cloud into Smash Bros being the most in-character thing ever?

Isn't it the other way around? Cloud is obsessed with Seph, not Seph with Cloud. Who chased who for the entirety of the first half of VII original? Seph has his plans, and Cloud is just a brat who violated Seph's personal space once and refuses to leave him alone since.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Isn't it the other way around? Cloud is obsessed with Seph, not Seph with Cloud. Who chased who for the entirety of the first half of VII original? Seph has his plans, and Cloud is just a brat who violated Seph's personal space once and refuses to leave him alone since.

From what I've been hearing from those who played the remake, Sephiroth's characterization is very much that of a stalker this time around. But I suppose that reading works for the original, which was translated into English by monkeys. You're especially right if we're talking about Cloud from Kingdom Hearts.

Which of the Nomura-verses are canon???

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

From what I've been hearing from those who played the remake, Sephiroth's characterization is very much that of a stalker this time around. But I suppose that reading works for the original, which was translated into English by monkeys. You're especially right if we're talking about Cloud from Kingdom Hearts.

Which of the Nomura-verses are canon???

From someone who's played it, you dont see Sephiroth enough to say he has alot of characterization. You see him for a few minutes, then hes gone.

I wonder if Sephiroth will have Heartless Angel in his moveset. It's one of his signature moves, but Smash doesn't have HP in the conventional sense so it might be hard to translate in a balanced way. Would it set the target's damage to 999%? Maybe it will be exclusive to his "wing mode". Speaking of, will his wing give him another jump?

As for what we know, Sephiroth has Shadow Flare, Scintilla, and Octaslash as special moves and Hell's Gate (the attack he did you-know-what with) as his down air. I would like for him to get Oblivion (i.e. the attack he begins his Kingdom Hearts II battle with) as a dash attack, and it would be cool if some of his moves have a "slash once but strike multiple times" effect like his attacks do in other games.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

I wonder if Sephiroth will have Heartless Angel in his moveset. It's one of his signature moves, but Smash doesn't have HP in the conventional sense so it might be hard to translate in a balanced way. Would it set the target's damage to 999%? Maybe it will be exclusive to his "wing mode". Speaking of, will his wing give him another jump?

As for what we know, Sephiroth has Shadow Flare, Scintilla, and Octaslash as special moves and Hell's Gate (the attack he did you-know-what with) as his down air. I would like for him to get Oblivion (i.e. the attack he begins his Kingdom Hearts II battle with) as a dash attack, and it would be cool if some of his moves have a "slash once but strike multiple times" effect like his attacks do in other games.

Which version of Heartless Angel? There are alot of them, lol.

The idea is always the same, but he usually does the attack differently.

I hope there's a color variation with Sephiroth wearing blue. That way when Dante's in, it'll be like both he and Vergil are in the game. We'll just pretend Vergil's hair grew out 500%, and his sword 50%.

I'm also curious if Sephiroth is locked to Japanese VA like Cloud. It would certainly seem jarring if only one of these guys was speaking english. Maybe they can update the game with a new voice pack for Cloud because of that.

Edited by Glennstavos

31 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I hope there's a color variation with Sephiroth wearing blue. That way when Dante's in, it'll be like both he and Vergil are in the game. We'll just pretend Vergil's hair grew out 500%, and his sword 50%.

I'm also curious if Sephiroth is locked to Japanese VA like Cloud. It would certainly seem jarring if only one of these guys was speaking english. Maybe they can update the game with a new voice pack for Cloud because of that.

In the trailer hes JP, so I assume he will be JP only like Cloud.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

From someone who's played it, you dont see Sephiroth enough to say he has alot of characterization. You see him for a few minutes, then hes gone.

Except when you do see him, it's mostly to needle Cloud.  So I'd say both interpretations are correct!

Now, as for the One-Winged Annoyance. . .not sure if he'll be my play style, but I think having  a little more reach on his, erm. weapon is a point in his favor.  In terms of swordsmen, that is.

Edited by eclipse

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I mean it's not like Virgil hasn't changed his appearance somewhat over the games, lol. I'm personally a fan of the DMC5 versions of Dante and Virgil.