Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

XC2 is the only XC game I haven't played; is Rex really that bad? What exactly is wrong with him?

Because he's naive, and is a kid that acts like...a kid.

For some reason, there's a perception that 'good' male protagonists in video games all have to be alpha and perfect (and if they have flaws, they must be 'fixed' before the end of the game). They must be the leader of the group and cannot show strong emotions (crying is a sin) or else they're the 'worst protagonist ever'. Obviously, I'm generalising here but there are certain character traits that seemingly pushes a male protagonist in to 'bad character' territory and Rex possesses a handful of them. I personally find the departure from the common traits that male protagonists typically have a breathe of fresh air. 

Not saying he's the best character in the game but I think it's clear what the creators wanted Rex to be (a kid that's really eager but also cannot properly emotionally process with what's happening around him without the help of his friends) and achieved it. 

---

Anyways, Pyra/Mythra in Smash is nice. I was hoping the fight style would reflect XB2's battle mechanics more but I flat out gave up on hoping XB2 getting any rep when Fighters Pass 1 ended so getting them now is more than enough for me. 

Edited by zuibangde

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Let's see:

He has the worst outfit in gaming history. Fucking what is this? A scuba set with cut out legs and booty shorts? How are the cutout legs and booty shorts supposed to help you dive into the cloud sea? All they do is look terrible, and they'd probably fill with water, undermining the entire thing. And I don't know about you, but when I'm fighting, I want clothes that protect everything except for my femoral artery.

Terrible voiceover.

He's a static character whose ideals, methods, flaws, and motivations do not substantially change.

He is consistently carried by Pyra and other, better party members for the full duration of the story, making him essentially feel like a pointless tag-along "for the youth." Basically, he feels like the XC equivalent of FF12's Van. 

Reveal hidden contents

His recklessness in blindly accepting a job despite his mentor's warnings results in the deaths of himself and his mentor. Don't worry, the consequences immediately go away when he cries about it.

His recklessness in knowingly taking on stronger foes causes the death of and almost wastes the sacrifice of a party member. He never has to deal with the consequences of his shortcomings, as Mythra gets him out of this situation.

Every moment of weakness is overcome either by crying about it until it is immediately resolved or being carried by Pyra/Mythra, the actual protagonists. The one time the party suffers an actual crushing defeat and Pyra/Mythra are overcome, Rex decides to give up and leave the party. Great protagonist material there.

I'm not calling XC2 bad. It gets good.... after like 10+ hours. But it gets good entirely in spite of Rex. He's consistently the least likeable party member (not counting certain rare blades like Dahlia). 

I'd say it actually is that. Xenoblade 2 does have a pretty piss poor story, but people still like the aesthetic and presentation enough to think they like it, so when they don't they project it on Rex.

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd say it actually is that. Xenoblade 2 does have a pretty piss poor story, but people still like the aesthetic and presentation enough to think they like it, so when they don't they project it on Rex.

That might be a fair accessment. But I actually find the supporting cast, namely Zeke and Morag, to actually be good. Maybe they don't hold up an entire broken narrative, but I've experienced worse. But also no. Rex is a garbage protagonist whether XC's story is epic or an epic flop. Good protagonists drive stories. Bad protagonists have stories drive them.

Also, Xenoblade fans are weird. I've never seen another fandom that treats character names, devoid of context, as world-ending spoilers. 

Spoiler

Pyra/Mythra/Numa Numa has multiple magical girl personalities, we get it.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

33 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Eh, the story was mostly fine for me, so I never needed to project anything on Rex. A formal structure, yeah I can see it lacking in that department, but I sincerely didn't mind it at the time, and I don't think particularly badly on it now. Ever heard of plot-driven vs. character-driven stories? To each their own.

Just don't assert people pretend to like things they actually don't. Otherwise I can fantasize about how you actually love the game, and you're lying to yourself when you say you don't. I could apply this to practically everything you say from here on out, thereby invalidating all your opinions in a single stroke. What evidence do you have to counter my claims you aren't repressed? Because repression means you bury something deep within you and you'd naturally want to deny it at every turn. Would you like that? 

Of course, people can change their minds later on a subject. But that doesn't equate to pretending to like something in the first place. It could have been genuine love at the original time, love that cannot be denied, but as you mature, sometimes you have a reason why, other times you don't, your thoughts just change on things.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eh, the story was mostly fine for me, so I never needed to project anything on Rex. A formal structure, yeah I can see it lacking in that department, but I sincerely didn't mind it at the time, and I don't think particularly badly on it now. Ever heard of plot-driven vs. character-driven stories? To each their own.

Just don't assert people pretend to like things they actually don't. Otherwise I can fantasize about how you actually love the game, and you're lying to yourself when you say you don't. I could apply this to practically everything you say from here on out, thereby invalidating all your opinions in a single stroke. What evidence do you have to counter my claims you aren't repressed? Because repression means you bury something deep within you and you'd naturally want to deny it at every turn. Would you like that? 

Of course, people can change their minds later on a subject. But that doesn't equate to pretending to like something in the first place. It could have been genuine love at the original time, love that cannot be denied, but as you mature, sometimes you have a reason why, other times you don't, your thoughts just change on things.

Well it's not a claim that people are actively lying, but that wires can be crossed and people can attribute the feelings they feel from one aspect to another is something that seems very plausible to me. Course you're right, there's no express way to prove it, that's why I wouldn't build a thesis on it, but I can't help but think when I see the criticisms people have of Rex and my mind just thinks "Those are all really weak reasons to actively hate a character" that they are indeed feeling something that their given reasons are not encompassing. Couple that with my own legitimate opinion that Xenoblade 2's story is pretty terrible, but with some very nice presentation, well it's just something I think is worth considering is all.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Couple that with my own legitimate opinion that Xenoblade 2's story is pretty terrible, but with some very nice presentation, well it's just something I think is worth considering is all.

And that is a separate point, a fair point of argument. An argument I've distinctly heard here on SF regarding Shadows of Valentia, particularly that whole Berkut thing which I've no stance on. Of course, people take different sides there, not without some form of reason on either side, and so the same here I acknowledge.

9 hours ago, Jingilator said:

Who are you hoping are the last 2 fighters?

For me, it's any two of:

• Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Dee
  • Sora
  • Dr. Eggman

I do want a 2nd Bandai Namco character deserves to be in (maybe Llyod Irving), Shantae, a 2nd SNK Character (from a different SNK franchise), Mike Jones from StarTropics, and/or Impa from The Legend of Zelda for either Challenger Pack 10 or 11.

We pretty much have a total of three Square Enix characters. I do like to see Bandana Waddle Dee to appear as a Fighter since we haven't had a newcomer Kirby Fighter since Brawl.

Edited by King Marth 64

I hope one of the two is a fighting game character. DLC pack 2 has been a very "should have been there in the base game" list, save for maybe Steve. So if we follow that theme, then it would be a Tekken character. Namco's been making Smash for over half a decade, they've earned some self-promotion. I just wish Tekken had cooler characters lol. Kazuya's pretty nothing as far as poster boys go. There's Heihachi as the villain. I suppose he WOULD complete my trifecta of old men characters in smash, alongside Cranky Kong and Scrooge McDuck. But any pick feels lacking in terms of movesets. Tekken never really emphasized special moves or some kind of meter management. And I've seen them put those characters in 2D before with Street FighterxTekken, a lot of it doesn't make sense in a game where sidestepping isn't a thing. Maybe one of the characters who can initiate separate fighting stances, like Xiaoyu. That'd be a very Tekken way to create new gameplay possibilities. Sakurai can also brag that this character has "almost 100 moves in total!". Or heck, just put in Kuma/Panda. You'd have the comedy of Piranha Plant's inclusion, but none of the salt about them being a generic enemy.

Shantae and Crash Bandicoot for me, preferably in that order. Aside from my already-present desire to see them added to Smash, their presumed release dates in June and September happen to line up with their original game's releases in the same months. It would be even more profound if their packs released on the same days as their respective first games (June 2 and September 9th). Also, Crash is celebrating his 25th this year, making it an even more appropriate time to add the bandicoot.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Jingilator said:

BD2 Spirit Event.

Neat, I am getting those spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on that day at sometime after I get done with my online college class gets over since I have Spring Break next week. It's nice to see some more Square Enix spirits coming in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'm kinda wondered what Mii Fighter Costumes Round 9 will Sakurai might show during at Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation?

I had some ideas of Xenoblade Chronicles series costumes that they could show like a couple from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and maybe a few from 1 and X similar to like Sephiroth's has Tifa, Barret, and Aerith:

1. Jin or Malos (XC2)
  2. Lora (from XC2: Torna ~ The Golden Country)
  3. Elma (XCX since Pyra and Mythra are the new Xenoblade Chronicles DLC)
  4. Mecha-Fiora (XB1)
  5. Maybe one of the high requested 3rd Party Fighters that didn't make it in to Fighter Pass Vol. 2 (I hope Sakurai doesn't bring back the Llyod Irving costume for Ultimate)
  6. Hollow Knight

What new and returning Mii Fighter costumes do you think Sakurai will might show for Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation on Mar. 4th?

Wuh-oh. I hope they don't release before March 8th. That would certainly screw with a few projects.

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm kinda wondered what Mii Fighter Costumes Round 9 will Sakurai might show during at Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation?

I had some ideas of Xenoblade Chronicles series costumes that they could show like a couple from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and maybe a few from 1 and X similar to like Sephiroth's has Tifa, Barret, and Aerith:

1. Jin or Malos (XC2)
  2. Lora (from XC2: Torna ~ The Golden Country)
  3. Elma (XCX since Pyra and Mythra are the new Xenoblade Chronicles DLC)
  4. Mecha-Fiora (XB1)
  5. Maybe one of the high requested 3rd Party Fighters that didn't make it in to Fighter Pass Vol. 2 (I hope Sakurai doesn't bring back the Llyod Irving costume for Ultimate)
  6. Hollow Knight

What new and returning Mii Fighter costumes do you think Sakurai will might show for Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation on Mar. 4th?

Zeke seems like the most safe bet to me. Jin or Malos as well. I think Poppi works great as a brawler. KOS-MOS would be a cool pick for Gunner. Hope they have a cool third party one as well. 

12 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Sakurai finally showed some alts.

As far as I can tell, Mythra seems to be recolored after T-ELOS from Xenosaga.

I really love that alt. color design on Mythra, but isn't the alt color design suppose to be more based off of Poppi QT Pi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 than T-ELOS from Xenosaga?

3 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I really love that alt. color design on Mythra, but isn't the alt color design suppose to be more based off of Poppi QT Pi from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 than T-ELOS from Xenosaga?

Here’s the thing; Poppi’s hair color is usually blue, but the Mythra alt shown here has purple hair.

I managed to got the two Bravely Default II spirits last night. I noticed Sakurai used the Mii Swordfighter using Chrom's Wig with Dunban's Outfit for Seth close enough to Seth's design.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, Glennstavos said:

Wuh-oh. I hope they don't release before March 8th. That would certainly screw with a few projects.

Zeke seems like the most safe bet to me. Jin or Malos as well. I think Poppi works great as a brawler. KOS-MOS would be a cool pick for Gunner. Hope they have a cool third party one as well. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about the KOS-MOS is good to use as a Mii Fighter costume should be good to use for Mii Fighter Costumes Round 9 for Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation. By the way, I forgot about to maybe put like Xenogears (maybe Fei Fong Wong as a Mii Brawler) for Mii Fighter costumes since Square Enix owns that game's IP and it might work to add it for more Square Enix Mii Fighter costumes since Xenogears was the spirtual predecessor to Xenosaga series and Xenoblade Chronicles series.

Edited by King Marth 64