Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Indeed, there may never be a fullproof solution for leaks. Ultimately the best solution is to stay off the internet, but let's face it, no one wants to have to do that just to preserve suspense. I still watch Youtube, well aware I may get spoiled by related video titles, thumbnails, or what have you. In that case, it's as much my fault for looking as it was the uploader for talking about a leak. C'est le vie.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The heated debate will continue, despite most of the people wanting cuts just do so the characters they want are in the game instead of any actual good reasons.

18 hours ago, Jedi said:

The heated debate will continue, despite most of the people wanting cuts just do so the characters they want are in the game instead of any actual good reasons.

No, they want them cut to "punish" the fans of those characters.

Anyways, things are starting to get a bit interesting:

tw8L4XY.png

...Hopefully they actually reveal stuff.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

No, they want them cut to "punish" the fans of those characters.

Anyways, things are starting to get a bit interesting:

tw8L4XY.png

...Hopefully they actually reveal stuff.

If that's all legit, then the only thing I can think of is that we'll be seeing some pretty popular third party characters. Because as far as Nintendo characters go, there's not really a wide selection of really obvious choices. There's a load of really obscure or esoteric characters that are important to small groups, but nothing that could confidently wow a large crowd by including (except maybe Ridley, and for as many he'd wow, there'd be just as many he'd disappoint, until they play him).

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

If that's all legit, then the only thing I can think of is that we'll be seeing some pretty popular third party characters. Because as far as Nintendo characters go, there's not really a wide selection of really obvious choices. There's a load of really obscure or esoteric characters that are important to small groups, but nothing that could confidently wow a large crowd by including (except maybe Ridley, and for as many he'd wow, there'd be just as many he'd disappoint, until they play him).

Keep in mind, the Japanese site said the Ballot could play into future installments. And for the term "fan favorites" to be used...

I doubt there won't be a couple major 3rd party characters and a few more recent first party ones, but it's supposedly about fanservice. 

Yes the next game will have new characters, in other news the sky is blue.

People must be very desperate for information if they consider "the roster will be good" to be something worth discussing; anyone can say that. Even if "insiders" know nothing they can still say they were right unless the only new characters are Koopa Troopa and Bubsy the Bobcat.

Besides, my uncle who works at Nintendo told me that the game is actually a port of Brawl, just with Inkings replacing Snake.

Apparently Sakurai confirmed on Twitter he's in the video presentation. Hoping he shows up in person at the Tournament to challenge the winner with a character that hasn't been revealed yet.

He'll be playing as Ridley probably.

24 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Gosh, it's hard to imagine there's less than a week now before we get to see Smash 5 in action. I'm hyped.

Here's hoping for mah boi Haitaka to get in as the new FE rep.

I'm sorry, who's Haitaka? I don't recall seeing that name from any of the Fire Emblem titles or was that mentioned in one of the supposed leaks/rumors for the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title?

Anyways, since E3 is coming up, I'm kinda wondered if we'll get a chance to see some newcomers and returning veterans and plus, I'm kinda wondered if the holding of the Fire Emblem Switch footages were kept quiet for a year that they could probably want to wait to tease a newcomer in a trailer happens to be one of the protagonists from the Fire Emblem Switch title since Sakurai managed to add Roy and Corrin before they made a debut their appearance. I totally think they could probably show off the rest of the footages for the Fire Emblem Switch trailer afterwards incase if the protagonist shows up in the Super Smash Bros. Switch trailer.

Edited by King Marth 64

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm sorry, who's Haitaka? I don't recall seeing that name from any of the Fire Emblem titles or was that mentioned in one of the supposed leaks/rumors for the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title?

Anyways, since E3 is coming up, I'm kinda wondered if we'll get a chance to see some newcomers and returning veterans and plus, I'm kinda wondered if the holding of the Fire Emblem Switch footages were kept quiet for a year that they could probably want to wait to tease a newcomer in a trailer happens to be one of the protagonists from the Fire Emblem Switch title since Sakurai managed to add Roy and Corrin before they made a debut their appearance. I totally think they could probably show off the rest of the footages for the Fire Emblem Switch trailer afterwards incase if the protagonist shows up in the Super Smash Bros. Switch trailer.

The dude in my avatar. The rallier of all defenses, the guardian of Fort Dragonfall, and the only rival to the legendary Rallyman. Basically God, with a capital G.

But in all seriousness, I don't expect any FE newcomers revealed here at E3, unless they also showcase the new FE game and then say "And you can play as this protagonist in the upcoming Smash as well!" as you're suggesting.

Edited by Anomalocaris

26 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of FE newcomers, I think we can sadly assume that Celica was deconfirmed thanks to this tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericalindbeck/status/1004108241977073665

While i never really felt that Celica had a chance, i wouldn't take that as a deconfirmation. If Erica Lindbeck was indeed voicing Celica for Smash, she wouldn't confirm that. A similar thing happened when someone asked Skye Bennet if she was voicing Pyra/Mythra in Smash. If she was, she wouldn't even hint at it because if she did, she could get into legal trouble with Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of FE newcomers, I think we can sadly assume that Celica was deconfirmed thanks to this tweet:

Well that just means she's not in Smash, not Celica. I hope with the release of Shadows of Valentina Celica gets in in some form. As far as moveset potential goes, she's probably the most promising lord in the series. And she scored really high in the second Choose Your Legends poll.

Honestly, the only "cuts" I can foresee are clones being reduced to costumes as that was what Lucina and Dark Pit were supposes to be in the first place.

Except Mii Fighters. Because nobody cared.

19 hours ago, Water Mage said:

There is always the possibility that they would only make Celica speak Japanese if she was playable in Smash just like Marth. But yeah, her chances does seem slim now and she is someone I would like to have as a FE newcomer for Smash.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well that just means she's not in Smash, not Celica. I hope with the release of Shadows of Valentina Celica gets in in some form. As far as moveset potential goes, she's probably the most promising lord in the series. And she scored really high in the second Choose Your Legends poll.

I'm pretty sure the roster for Smash Switch was decided late 2016, which would be long before either CYL poll.

14 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

There is always the possibility that they would only make Celica speak Japanese if she was playable in Smash just like Marth. But yeah, her chances does seem slim now and she is someone I would like to have as a FE newcomer for Smash.

I'm pretty sure the roster for Smash Switch was decided late 2016, which would be long before either CYL poll.

If that's the case then we probably won't see many new Fire Emblem characters at all.

21 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Late 2016? That means the possible new Pokemon rep might be like Greninja, which was picked before X and Y was released and because Sakurai thought he looked interesting. He guessed right as Greninja became insanely popular, even before it’s Smash Bros reveal. If Sakurai’s guessing powers work again, our new Pokemon rep might be Mimikyu, which would be a really cool addition.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

If that's the case then we probably won't see many new Fire Emblem characters at all.

That's what I'd guess to be honest. FE16 Lord is probably a lock for DLC tho. I think the most likely Fire Emblem newcomer will be from an older game like Lyn or Tiki. And even then I'd rank such possibilities pretty low. It's enough work for them to try and get the current six in.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a fire emblem newcomer on the base roster unless they make cuts to the FE reps which I kind of don't see Sakurai and the rest of the devs doing. I could see a FE newcomer coming in as DLC though which will probably be FE16 Lord/Avatar or a popular character from one of the other FE games.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Late 2016? That means the possible new Pokemon rep might be like Greninja, which was picked before X and Y was released and because Sakurai thought he looked interesting. He guessed right as Greninja became insanely popular, even before it’s Smash Bros reveal. If Sakurai’s guessing powers work again, our new Pokemon rep might be Mimikyu, which would be a really cool addition.

Yeah, the new Pokémon rep will probably be someone from Gen 7 though I don't know who Sakurai would go for. I have been hearing people saying Decidueye, Lycanroc, Mimikyu or one of the Ultra Beasts but who knows.

I was thinking about what I posted, that Celica might be deconfirmed because of what her VA said, and I realized I might be wrong. NDAs are really rough, and I’ve heard of VAs having to lie because of that. So perhaps, Celica’s VA lied due to the NDA.

11 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I was thinking about what I posted, that Celica might be deconfirmed because of what her VA said, and I realized I might be wrong. NDAs are really rough, and I’ve heard of VAs having to lie because of that. So perhaps, Celica’s VA lied due to the NDA.

That sounds about possible.

Funny enough, Erica Lindbeck was in another similar situation when Celica was confirmed for Warriors in Japan, and she just played dumb and posted pictures of the similarly-named Toyota car. :P I assume in this situation she just got alarmed by an incorrect listing, per the context of her Tweet.

So, crash course of a rumor:

Vergeben, the guy who leaked TMNT in Injustice 2, a crapton of stuff about SCVI, and the TWEWY port with new content (while also having plenty, plenty of misfires along the way) stated a couple weeks ago that Ridley and Simon Belmont would be newcomers with the Ice Climbers returning and Minecraft having some sort of representation.

In PMs, he also teased a Konami compilation game for Switch... and then the E3 website updated with Konami's listings including a compilation game for a whole bunch of platforms including Switch: https://mp1630k065.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=4XTDjeQv

He also teased "a new Jump fighting game that's a J-Stars type of game that's basically a sequel to it" in a PM on the 5th: 
proxy.png

...And Jump Force was just announced.

Coupled with the Resetera moderator comments teasing him before the March Direct, ...I think Ridley has a chance (as well as Simon Belmont, if we're to assume the compilation is for Castlevania).

Mango Nation...Fox McCloud...

I just love the idea of Melee players developing a language made up of short phrases like MANGO NATION.

I think reasonably the Tournament finals will be Armada v Zero, assuming they split the bracket between Melee and Smash 4. However I will be rooting for Mango because oh my god the dream.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Edited by Glennstavos