Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Know what'd be awesome? If Square went three for three and had a Kingdom Hearts trailer for Nintendo as well. Like, having the HD remixes bundled on Switch, and even include an announcement for Kingdom Hearts III...that transitioned into a trailer for him to join Smash. A man can dream.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Altrosa said:

That vid was a trip.

If Nintendo can get Melee players into Smash 5 instead of continually digging their claws into it's glitchy, twitching corpse, that's a pretty gargantuan win, I think. 

The Melee community has only grown as time has gone on, and right now is bigger than the Smash 4 one even; it's alive and well.

Melee is what it is unintentionally, but it's had a continous following that, short of oversights being replicated, won't abandon it. And really, I don't see anything wrong with that.

48 minutes ago, Dai said:

Know what'd be awesome? If Square went three for three and had a Kingdom Hearts trailer for Nintendo as well. Like, having the HD remixes bundled on Switch, and even include an announcement for Kingdom Hearts III...that transitioned into a trailer for him to join Smash. A man can dream.

Bro, do not play with me

I will lose my shit if this happens

I think Sora would fit in Smash and it would be funny for every console maker to have a KHIII trailer, but Sakurai would need to go through Disney to make Sora happen so I don't expect it.

15 hours ago, Altrosa said:

That vid was a trip.

If Nintendo can get Melee players into Smash 5 instead of continually digging their claws into it's glitchy, twitching corpse, that's a pretty gargantuan win, I think. 

unless it has good competitive mechanics it's not going to happen. and what's with "glitchy, twitching corpse"? that's awfully pessimistic diction. there might be a few reasons why they still stick to that "glitchy, twitching corpse"...

it's weird how everybody loves glitches in speedrunning but this is a no-no

Edited by Comet

I don't care for Kingdom Hearts but i won't deny that a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer leading into Sora being in Smash would be hype.

I just don't see it happening because

1. Disney
  2. KH3 still isn't coming to Switch and with how many trailers they've shown these past few days and none of them mention the Switch, it makes me doubt. 

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't care for Kingdom Hearts but i won't deny that a Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer leading into Sora being in Smash would be hype.

I just don't see it happening because

1. Disney
  2. KH3 still isn't coming to Switch and with how many trailers they've shown these past few days and none of them mention the Switch, it makes me doubt. 

We can but dream.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

KH3 still isn't coming to Switch and with how many trailers they've shown these past few days and none of them mention the Switch, it makes me doubt. 

Not that I think KHIII is coming to the Switch anytime soon, but if it was I imagine Nintendo would want to announce it before anyone else.

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We can but dream.

Oh yeah, i'm not saying you can't. I myself have some unlikely wants such as Gunvolt from Azure Striker Gunvolt or Fei from Xenogears.

1 hour ago, Comet said:

it's weird how everybody loves glitches in speedrunning but this is a no-no

Speaking as a speedrunner, I can say no, a lot of randos outside speedrunning communities hate glitches and will berate your craft because it doesn't look fun to them. Pretty much every speed game with sequence breaks and major glitches gets an occasional comment like "wtf how is this a speedrun??? All you do is run straight to the last area and glitch through some walls? Do you ACTUALLY think this is impressive? I don't know how anybody can spend so many hours not playing the game and instead just breaking it. I could beat the game this fast without glitches".

For some reason they always add that they can beat the game the fastest with nothing to back it up. People get totally triggered when you play a video game different from them. A similar animosity appeared back in Melee and Brawl when a competitive scene was developing and kids were being beaten by "cheaters". But L-Cancelling is an intended mechanic - it appears in official online websites for Smash 64 under the name "smooth landing". Wave dashing is as much a glitch as your ability to jump during Link's attacks in Breath of the Wild.  Capital G glitches in Melee are Ness' yoyo thing and Mewtwo pulling people through the stage from the ledge. Interesting but those are bottom tier characters. Even Smash 4 still has glitches that the patch team didn't care to remove. Like Greninja's Shadow Sneak Cancel. Mega Man, Sonic, Link, Toon Link, and Peach all had similar tech but they had theirs patched out before the Wii U version even released. 

As for a KH3 trailer during Nintendo Direct, I'm not sure I can handle another Utada Hikaru song replacing all the sound effects in Kingdom Hearts footage. Soooo weird.

Edited by Glennstavos

DAISY!

I actually got my most wanted character! I don't care that she's a clone, it's Daisy! Best and coolest princess ever!

Also, both Ikes! That's so cool! I'll stick with RD Ike, but it's awesome to see both his iconic cool looks! WE LIKE IKE!

Everything about Smash Bros. 5 looked fantastic... except for one small thing that bugs me: Link is right-handed.

I know they made this change to make Link more like the version of him in Breath of the Wild (and I still maintain they had no real reason to make him right-handed in Breath of the Wild, but that's beside the point), but it was unnecessary. It's a change that at best people won't care about, and at worst will irritate some (including myself). It irritates me because Link is the Left-Handed Hero; he's pretty much the only iconic left-handed heroic character in popular media. As a leftie, it feels like an unnecessary change that only reminds me of the one thing that irritates me about Breath of the Wild.

Seriously, would anyone have been bothered if they had kept him left-handed?

I...I'm in shock...

Everyone's back? Snake? Ice Climbers? Pokemon Trainer? Wolf? Young Link and Pichu? I...my god...

I hate Ike but my god does he look gorgeous here, having both his PoR and RD design...

Marth is gorgeous! And he speaks English! What about Roy? Will he get Ray Chase again?

And...and...Sakurai said that Ridley was too big...but...he added him! He actually did it!

Daisy was a nice surprise, too.

I just can't believe this is real. Nintendo has single handedly won E3, jc. And it comes out in December, so that's my Christmas sorted!

This is a pleasent surprise. I’m really glad Daisy made it in. She is going to replace Peach as one of my mains. Kind of sad Charizard went back to being part of Pokémon Trainer. On the Spear Pillar Stage, I hope the Distortion World gets featured. Wouldn’t it to be cool while fighting while avoiding the laws of physics?

So will they add any more new characters or do they think it’s just too big and there is no need to? Because honestly if that is the case then I wish they could get rid of all the clone characters and just add new ones for the sake of diversity...