Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Dai said:

Anybody see the Hero?

=\

Of course not. If we did, it’d be the biggest irony of the year.

Question, though: why do you believe that September 22nd will be the date, let alone to iron out kinks? Sakurai’s probably spent enough time as it is. Plus, fall will already have started by then.

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Of course not. If we did, it’d be the biggest irony of the year.

Question, though: why do you believe that September 22nd will be the date, let alone to iron out kinks? Sakurai’s probably spent enough time as it is. Plus, fall will already have started by then.

Fall is the day after that. Summer actually does last that long.

Plus, you never really know. It’s more me being a bit crass in regards to my expectations, admittedly.

4 minutes ago, Dai said:

Fall is the day after that. Summer actually does last that long.

Plus, you never really know. It’s more me being a bit crass in regards to my expectations, admittedly.

Yes, I know it’s that long. But realistically, I think that’d only ever be the case of Hero was delayed.

Edited by Perkilator

• 3 weeks later...

Let me just dust off my list of wanted updates:

• Make Squad Strike playable online. I understand online matchmaking relies on the GSP system, but even if it was only playable in arenas, people would play the crap out a mode that lets them use 3 or 5 of their favorites in one continuous match. Because it's genuinely rare for somebody to play this game and only care about one of the characters. Having this be restricted to local play has rendered the fun of this mode unknown to many players.
  • Boss Battles. I was utterly shocked to see this not return alongside the return of adventure mode-styled bosses. Once you build the "waiting room" where five heart containers sit in between battles, the programming for a mode like this would take a matter of hours. They can also take the initiative in remastering the boss battles from Brawl if they wanted too, since we have less than 10 unique bosses.
  • Break the Targets. I'm still holding out hope. And I don't care for people saying that making 70+ unique stages would "take too long". If you have a pencil and paper in front of you, you could design a stage and hand it to a programmer to make real. No unique assets necessary. Between the in-game stage builder and the return of previous games' target test songs, a lot of the work would be trivial. They could even allow players to construct their own challenges to publish online for others to play, though I only need some official stages, personally.
  • Let us organize the character and stage selection screens. At least have an option to organize by series. Having these characters in "order of announcement" just feels tailor made to keep them placed as randomly as possible. The option to hide echo fighters proves they considered how players might want to organize this stuff, so give us some more options already.  
  • Fix the issues with buffering in this video. Buffering especially needs to be addressed since there appear to be some developer oversights regarding hold buffers. There's also a potential for players to adjust the buffer window's length in their control options, though personally the only option I'd like to see is just turning it off. In my opinion ten frames is a fantastic length for a fighting game since it reduces the skill floor for combo execution while not being so long it's hard to work around.

Just gonna surprise drop him today, huh?

Also, I have never heard the name Arusu before.

Random Down+B spell selection sounds ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, Dai said:

Also, I have never heard the name Arusu before.

Apparently it comes from a Dragon Quest III Drama CD released in 1993. He had Marth's Japanese voice actor back then, not OoT Link's like he does now.

22 minutes ago, Dai said:

Random Down+B spell selection sounds ridiculous.

I think the randomness helps balance out how outrageous some of the moves are. It would be pretty ridiculous if he could use even half of his spells whenever he wanted.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

Apparently it comes from a Dragon Quest III Drama CD released in 1993. He had Marth's Japanese voice actor back then, not OoT Link's like he does now.

I think the randomness helps balance out how outrageous some of the moves are. It would be pretty ridiculous if he could use even half of his spells whenever he wanted.

drama cd, of all things? Jeez, I’d have accepted whatever was off the Wiki, this just seems like a far-reach, but hey, whatever. I’ll just call him III or something.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing it’s random. I’m just saying that, anything this guy does is going to be SILLY.

18 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I think the name was usually translated as Arus in the past, IIRC it showed up in the DQIII manga as well.  And was later used for the DQVII protagonist in that game's manga.

I get the feeling those manga may not have been at all released in the west.

When Sakurai explained they didn't have the budget to justify doing a direct, and you can hear faint laughter in the background, god that was funny. Even funnier was hearing some of these spell names from the narrator. Woosh, swoosh! Kaswoosh! I didn't expect it would take them 15+ minutes to demo Hero and his stage, but they really wanted to show off all the details which I guess I can respect. 

Yeah Hero's command spells look pretty busted. I wonder if you can choose none of them, then reopen the command list for a reroll. That way players could repeatedly search for the Heal command as their opponent is recovering or dying. I hope that's not a thing and you must choose something, giving your opponent a punish opportunity as you lose MP. Critical hit smashes and recovering MP on basic attacks seems a little overtuned for a swordie, but his speed stats look to be as slow as Simon, link, or Robin which seems ideal for this character design. And he doesn't have a counter anywhere in that spell list! So much creativity.

Edit: You can cancel the command list with shield. Looks like there's a cooldown, but it's quite short, so I expect people will spam Heal quite a bit when given the opportunity. Bummer. For a turn based character, he gets his turns too quickly in my opinion

Edited by Glennstavos

So if Three Houses got any songs in either a future game or a later update, what songs from the game would you want? Mine are:

Spoiler

(Note: bold indicates a remix)

Fódlan Winds (by Motoi Sakuraba)

Edge of Dawn (Eng. and Jap.)

Life at Garreg Mach (by Yoko Shimomura)

Tearing Through Heaven (by Tomoya Ohtani)

As Swift as Wind (by Yusuke

Takahama)

Blue Skies and a Battle

Edge of Dawn (E3 2018 Trailer version)

Apex of the World

The Land Beloved by the Goddess (by Takeshi Kuramochi)

Edited by Perkilator

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Edit: You can cancel the command list with shield. Looks like there's a cooldown, but it's quite short, so I expect people will spam Heal quite a bit when given the opportunity. Bummer. For a turn based character, he gets his turns too quickly in my opinion

That's what patches are for. You give a shiny new Liquid Metal Platinum King Jewel Character a few weeks of brokenness, and you demote them to a Notso Macho later.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's what patches are for. You give a shiny new Liquid Metal Platinum King Jewel Character a few weeks of brokenness, and you demote them to a Notso Macho later.

By hitting them with this?

Holy shit, Hero's such a fun character. Picking the spells is incredibly fun and adrenaline rushing when there's two Heros on the field. Yggdrasil's Altar on hazardless also seems very good for competitive play.

Also @Lightchao42 i like the new title of this thread, i can see you have excellent music taste.

Was COMPLETELY unaware of the Link’s Awakening and other spirit additions. I’m hoping that they’re in the rotation now, I’ve only got toy-cons and Peachette.

Also, Hero’s Comrades blows on the last ally they have.

So, real talk. You think Command Selection (Down+B) will really see all that much use? Do you think it will go largely ignored, since it’s random, can be interrupted since you’re stationary, and the rest of Hero’s Kit suffices nicely?

Or do you think we’ll see some godlike, sixth-sense misfire/judge 9-level shenanigans where they pull every spell they need out of the rotation?

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah won't be necessary. The Heal spell is limited to two uses per stock. It's also such a weak heal I doubt people will explicitly search for it over a buffing move. The buffs also have built in weaknesses like I was hoping. Overall I am happy with the limitations built into the character.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Yeah won't be necessary. The Heal spell is limited to two uses per stock. It's also such a weak heal I doubt people will explicitly search for it over a buffing move. The buffs also have built in weaknesses like I was hoping. Overall I am happy with the limitations built into the character.

“bUt He’S bRoKeN, bAn HiM!”

-Every Pro Smasher on YouTube and Twitter