Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

"It is a stage only of announcing the title now, and it is muted and it works on the production every day. Please wait until it is possible to release the content or to be released!!"

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_US/index.html

New website 

image.png

New date branding with no previous years. No Namco on the credits.

New website is not a smoking gun

But I agree the copyright is something you really can't ignore. Guess we need to wait for E3 to figure out the truth.

14 minutes ago, Jedi said:

"It is a stage only of announcing the title now, and it is muted and it works on the production every day. Please wait until it is possible to release the content or to be released!!"

Guess this confirm that Sakurai is working on the game again.

I remember when he said Smash 4 would be his last Smash game.

So, with the exception of the very first game, this is the first smash bros. not announced at an E3. I anticipated that the only Smash we'd be seeing today would be 64 or Melee as part of an initial Virtual Console lineup. Boy do I keep getting burned expecting VC.

I really hope they'll take the time to clarify what the game is. I feel like we know exactly as much as we knew yesterday with the exception that Inkling will be playable. 

You know, now that my hype died down a bit, I was thinking, is releasing Smash this year, really a good idea? I don’t know, it...feels to early.

Edited by Water Mage

Just now, Water Mage said:

You know, now that my hype died down a bit, I was thinking, is releasing Smash this year, really a good idea? I don’t know, it...feels to early.

Depends. Smash being announced and releasing within the same year reminds me of Xenoblade 2, which did the same thing last year. I think this Smash has been in development for quite some time now.

For your speculatory needs, this is the highest quality version of the silhouettes I've found:

HyEuAhf.jpg

From left to right I see what I think is: Yoshi, Pit, Donkey Kong, Peach, Kirby, Marth(?), Mario, Link, ???, Sheik, Pikachu, Samus, Olimar(?), Zelda(?), Bowser, and the rest is indiscernible to me. The last human-shape figure could be Captain Falcon, though.

Now that I look at that picture again, I think Kirby is next to Pikachu. Looks like a big pink ball there to me.

I'm just waiting to see what Ike and Luigi are like. :D

Edited by Anacybele

MegaMan better be playable here. And bring another Megaman character while you're at it. Like bring in Bass.EXE. He's one of the most badass characters. Oh, or bring in Zero. Dude is arguably the most popular character in the Megaman franchise. 

I want Starforce Megaman in, but it's doubtful.

AHHHHHH SMAAAAAASHHHH

I DON"T EVEN CARE FOR NO FE16 INFO YET THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER FOR ME

Smash is the reason I became a fan of Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem it seems really early to do another already but I DONT MIND

I don't really know about Corrin coming back as that was my dedicated main along with a few others but I'm fine as long as it's a cool roster.

Edited by KongDude

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

The Logo seems to be inspired be Melee. Does that mean there going a more ‘ Melee ‘ route on this?

…could it be? After so much time trying to escape basically his ultimate creation…could Sakurai have finally caved? Are we finally getting Melee 2.0?!?!

…Pfft, nah, the man's the greatest troll in the history of the world, this has to be…unless he's expecting us to see it that way…CURSE YOU SAKURAI!!!

As for my own personal thoughts(and to get the Roster Toxicity started because we might as well strike while the iron is hot), allow me to copypaste my post on the other 5mash thread just recently put up. Be warned, I'm a touch frustrated.

*wastes half an hour on the Direct waiting for something good*
*gets to last minute*
One last video, what could they possibly be…ah, more Inkling crap, of course, can't stop the Splatoon lunacy even for a-
*GIANT FLAMING SMASH BALL*

……

………

...that's not a Mishima, Sakurai.

No, I'm serious, Sakurai. You said you were going to put Heihachi from Tekken in Sm4sh to go with Ryu, but somehow couldn't make Heihachi's moves translate over despite having made, among others, Pac-Man, Wii Fit, and Duck Hunt all work? What the actual heck? And somehow the knowledge that we're now able to mega-cramp our hands by playing Smash on a single JoyCon is going to resolve any issues anyone had with Sm4sh?

You know, I bet Sakurai realized that if he made Bayonetta crazy enough, she'd be so divisive to the Smash Community that the moment 5mash was announced everyone would instantly leave Sm4sh behind, and if they ended up just making Re:Sm4sh, all he had to do was add a BoTW skin for Link, an Odyssey skin for Mario(let's be real, it's going to happen), and the Inklings as an extra fighter and everyone would toss their WiiUs as soon as they could. We've all been baited and played like children.

47 minutes ago, Florete said:

For your speculatory needs, this is the highest quality version of the silhouettes I've found:

HyEuAhf.jpg

From left to right I see what I think is: Yoshi, Pit, Donkey Kong, Peach, Kirby, Marth(?), Mario, Link, ???, Sheik, Pikachu, Samus, Olimar(?), Zelda(?), Bowser, and the rest is indiscernible to me. The last human-shape figure could be Captain Falcon, though.

At the far right, i believe that might be Jigglypuff. I also see what might be Shulk on Bowser's left. There's this ring-shaped thing and the first thing that comes to mind for me is the Monado.

15 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

And somehow the knowledge that we're now able to mega-cramp our hands by playing Smash on a single JoyCon is going to resolve any issues anyone had with Sm4sh?

>Implying that it's gonna be the only way to play Smash on Switch.

I am not sure if I would be able to find it, but I think I remember reading an article that Sakurai was already working on a new project a while back. If it was true, apparently this would be it.

Anyone, hyped as heck.. Wish I wasn't spoiled on it though. that's wait I get for being late.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

I really wish they'd just give Shiek's kit to Impa and call it a day. She's become such a null factor to the Zelda franchise, whilst Impa has been a consistent character across a majoriy of Zelda games.

They'd never remove Shiek('s kit) due to how popular she is competitively, but Hyrule Warriors done Impa justice.

1 hour ago, Truthblade said:

I am not sure if I would be able to find it, but I think I remember reading an article that Sakurai was already working on a new project a while back. If it was true, apparently this would be it.

Anyone, hyped as heck.. Wish I wasn't spoiled on it though. that's wait I get for being late.

Funny enough, I got spoiled on Smash thanks to a sports app's notifications. :P

1 hour ago, Truthblade said:

Yes, the articles came out in Nov 2016. And his first confirmation was in January of that year, but I feel like that statement was pretty vague. If this new Smash Bros. game is a fall release, then we'd be talking about two years development time at the absolute minimum with approximately three years being the better estimate. And with how much Nintendo was focused on their next system after the Wii U, I'd even believe they started preliminary work on the next game before production of DLC concluded. If you consider that Smash 64 and Melee were both developed in a little over one year, these possibilities are not terrible for this franchise's standards.

My hype for Smash died after following Brawl very closely, the game was good, I just spent my much of my life's supply of hypeability with that game. I kept low key with Smash 4, I even seriously considered skipping it for a while, a bitterness I can't quite find a reason for existed in me.

Seems a little soon for a brand new Smash if it is really meant to release this year, unless they've been secretly at work on it for a while. How many new worthy additions have reasonably been conceived of since S4? Not many. And S4 relied in its DLC on a good number of 3rd Party characters, which are a bit more challenging to get because licensing.

Any chance the unknown protagonist of FE Switch will be made DLC later on? A new Smash, a new Fire Emblem character. The fate of the series is tied to Smash more than any other franchise.

-! What if Smash Switch has FES's main character in the base roster?! Even if Swash releases after FES, it'll still be a good advertising move. Please be no sword user please no sword please no sword please no sword! 

Finally got to watch this direct tonight after working. 'Twas a little bummed there was no word on FE16 or an announcement for Fire Emblem Echoes: The Binding Blade. Maybe someday......

But Smash for Switch at the last minute (of course), made it all better. My reaction:

Huh...this kinda looks like the debut trailer for the original Splatoon. But...they just talked about Splatoon 2, and there's no reason to port the original. Could this be what I think it is...?

*Smash logo appears in Inkling Girl's eyes* THERE IT IS! We finally got our Smash Switch announcement! And of course, the Inkings. We all knew it was coming. It was just a matter of when. All in all, that was a good direct.

If this is a port, then I wonder, will the Inkings and any other new fighters be added to the 3DS and Wii U versions?

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's Smash 5. Just look at the logos

Spoiler

DXzPDVSU8AEHyBm.png

DXzPDsQVMAAWDwl.jpg

I don't think an updated logo is necessarily indicative of anything. Plus, the new logo is the same font as the previous one, but colored all black and the Smash logo is now superimposed into the whole title rather than just the O. Fire Emblem's current logo has been used since Awakening. You wouldn't assume the games that have followed using that logo are Awakening sequel/prequels/midquels, now would you?

...But I've been wrong before.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Funny enough, I got spoiled on Smash thanks to a sports app's notifications. :P

A tip to avoid getting spoiled by future directs: If you know or think you're gonna miss an upcoming direct like I did today, go to Nintendo's Direct Archive, then go to the pending video for the next direct, copy the link, and paste it in a new Word document so can you go straight to the direct fresh. Name the doc "Remider: Nintendo Direct Today" or something like that and move it to the desktop so you don't forget about it.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

>Implying that it's gonna be the only way to play Smash on Switch.

Oh, no, of course not - you can also obtain the very-limited-quantity Switch-to-Gamecube-controller Adapter for just three easy payments of a mere $599.95! But hurry, this offer is only available for My Nintendo members under the age of 15 until the third Tuesday of the second month after the first wave of DLC, and you must have registered all previous versions of Smash with My Nintendo!

In all seriousness, obviously yeah, that's not the only way to play unless you bought the Switch specifically for 5mash. Problem is, I'm one of those people who will only consider a Switch for Smash. And I'd like to stress that I'm only considering it as I'm still a little frustrated with the Heihachi situation in case I managed to not make that clear with my post. I mean, I don't even play Tekken, but we were supposed to get two third-party fighting game representatives from DLC - which frankly would have been awesome even though other fighting game communities still wouldn't have taken us seriously, we could still make Ryu fight Heihachi on a Nintendo console - and instead we got a Mii Costume, which is of course not exactly the same considering I have to fight my brother to allow me to play ANY Mii Fighters at all even though they suck.

While I don't think the game is 100% a port, I do think it takes Smash Wii U's engine and goes from there. It's very hard to believe that they started a Smash from scratch and they have it ready for the end of the year.

But hey! New Smash! With Inklings!