Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Goshdarn the developers and making demos that give you taste of the game and not allow you to play the entire game! /s

My alternate suggestion would be Little Mac. I wanna see how one of my first mains is in this game.

Little Mac we can try yes, provided we get enough goes at it.

IMG_1072.thumb.JPG.c729a5fde108d0c80e4a1fa991e67e95.JPG

these are the people in the demos right now.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Carter said:

i literally have no idea who simon belmont is, i get so confused whenever people talk about him.....

ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!! omg omg pls (and pls pls the Twilight Princess palette!! my my absolute fav)

sure thing

7 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Goshdarn the developers and making demos that give you taste of the game and not allow you to play the entire game! /s

My alternate suggestion would be Little Mac. I wanna see how one of my first mains is in this game.

gotcha. really wanna try him out now that he can side b to upb offstage

While i did play Ultimate at CEO 2018, my original plan was to try out Ike, Zelda, Corrin and Ganondorf. I only got to try out the first two because the lines closed earlier than expected (me and my friends were gonna go play another round on our way out but that never happened). So if you can, i wanna know how Corrin and Ganondorf play, especially since there's not a whole lot of footage on them.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

While i did play Ultimate at CEO 2018, my original plan was to try out Ike, Zelda, Corrin and Ganondorf. I only got to try out the first two because the lines closed earlier than expected (me and my friends were gonna go play another round on our way out but that never happened). So if you can, i wanna know how Corrin and Ganondorf play, especially since there's not a whole lot of footage on them.

Corrin and Dorf are on my bucket list of people to try for sure. So if I get the chance I will.

Cloud, Ike, Sonic, Marth and Ryu are my priorities.

Also gotta try Kirby for fun sake and for my girlfriend. 

I hope I get all the runs I want haha but I'll try Dorf at least 3rd

On 7/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, Armagon said:

I don't know if that really means anything. After all,, they can give us NES Simon but with a more modern look. Or they could do a blend and merge Simon's NES design with whatever his most recent appearance was. That's what they did with Roy in Smash 4 (only he didn't have an NES design)

I'd expect something like this; an original design that takes aspects from multiple other designs from over the years.

6 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

HOLY SH#T

I love this meldey

@Jedi could you try out ? I really want so see how it plays.

I have a lot of fond memories of galaga, I can appreciate this.

So, Mew2King and ESAM made tier lists for the demo.

This is interesting, as they are giving fairly different opinions on the roster, obviously it isn't very useful as they are very much subject to change but it is a fun topic.

So, new full character, new echo.... echo.... echo (yeah awful joke), both, or none shown? That is all I'll play with it my head, no specifics. A new stage would be nice too.

I'm surprised they've hid this for this length of time. Or did "leakism" die down once E3 finally sated the desires to know?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I suppose we'll find out if any of the recent leaks are real.

Thank God too since we have something positive to look forward to after the Smash 4's fanbase horrendous behavior at EVO Grand Finals.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I suppose we'll find out if any of the recent leaks are real.

Thank God too since we have something positive to look forward to after the Smash 4's fanbase horrendous behavior at EVO Grand Finals.

You mean the guys who dicked around in the finals instead of actually competing, massively disrespecting everyone in attendance and giving all the detractors of Smash' presence at EVO further reason to criticize it? It's like if the two teams in the Super Bowl started screwing around and playing touch football amongst themselves while chatting with the referees.

Though I am glad we're finally going to get more info on Ultimate.

21 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

You mean the guys who dicked around in the finals instead of actually competing, massively disrespecting everyone in attendance and giving all the detractors of Smash' presence at EVO further reason to criticize it? It's like if the two teams in the Super Bowl started screwing around and playing touch football amongst themselves while chatting with the referees.

Oh, i don't approve of what they did either. The stalling was pretty bad (though i also heard that people got upset because they taunted during a match, which i honestly don't mind. Adds a bit more personality to matches). 

But i feel that the very fact that it was a Bayo ditto during the grand finals is the leading reason why this shit happened. Had it been any other character, i doubt we would've seen the crowd booing or large groups of people leaving.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh, i don't approve of what they did either. The stalling was pretty bad (though i also heard that people got upset because they taunted during a match, which i honestly don't mind. Adds a bit more personality to matches). 

But i feel that the very fact that it was a Bayo ditto during the grand finals is the leading reason why this shit happened. Had it been any other character, i doubt we would've seen the crowd booing or large groups of people leaving.

The TOing was pretty awful too, a top player was in my pool and an hour late so the Pool captain dq'd him only to have the TOS reverse it and reset my half of my pool bracket and well things didn't go so well, I went from almost out of pools to basically back to round 1 because of Top player privilege.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm hoping Atlus gets some love, I'd like to hear some SMT music

Mad Gasser for Smash

Joking aside, if we do get an Atlus representative it'll probably be a protagonist from Persona, a protagonist from a SMT game, or a character from Etrian Odyssey.

Also Yay! New Direct!

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

The TOing was pretty awful too, a top player was in my pool and an hour late so the Pool captain dq'd him only to have the TOS reverse it and reset my half of my pool bracket and well things didn't go so well, I went from almost out of pools to basically back to round 1 because of Top player privilege.

Damn, that must've been rough. If that ever happened to me, i probably would've just left.

3 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Joking aside, if we do get an Atlus representative it'll probably be a protagonist from Persona, a protagonist from a SMT game, or a character from Etrian Odyssey.

If we were to get some Atlus representation, it'd likely be from Etrian Odyssey since those games tend to consistently release on Nintendo systems whereas we only sometimes get SMT/Persona games on Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

If we were to get some Atlus representation, it'd likely be from Etrian Odyssey since those games tend to consistently release on Nintendo systems whereas we only sometimes get SMT/Persona games on Nintendo.

EO is all about making your own characters, with only the Untold games (remakes of the first 2) giving you the option to run a fixed party of actual characters with a semi-decent story... and those are the worst selling games in the series.

This reeks of the logic people used to try to exclude Cloud-- when he and Bayonetta showed that Smash is willing to further push its "rules"/disregard official polls for WTF factor characters. Which monetarily makes sense; they raise the most "hype" and draw the most attention. 

5 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

if we do get an Atlus representative it'll probably be a protagonist from Persona

Much to the chagrin of some (and piggybacking off what I said above), I think the only shot Atlus has at base... is Yu.
Persona 5 didn't launch in Japan until fall 2016 while the initial project plan was pitched in December 2015; Yu would be a known character who also fulfills the "courtesy" of having appeared on a Nintendo console through Q inb4 insecure individuals start yelling that it's shit and doesn't count because of it. And, like with Cloud, nobody would expect it and it would cause far more buzz than a pick from any other Atlus series.

8 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

This reeks of the logic people used to try to exclude Cloud-- when he and Bayonetta showed that Smash is willing to further push its "rules"/disregard official polls for WTF factor characters. Which monetarily makes sense; they raise the most "hype" and draw the most attention

Well, the thing is that Cloud is way more recognizable than any Atlus character. The average person would likely know who Cloud is whereas they'd be clueless if you showed them an Atlus character. And Bayonetta, well, Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive game and at this point, she's basically an unofficial Nintendo character.

Of course, this is just looking at the Western demographic. In Japan, it's a much different story.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well, the thing is that Cloud is way more recognizable than any Atlus character. The average person would likely know who Cloud is whereas they'd be clueless if you showed them an Atlus character. And Bayonetta, well, Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive game and at this point, she's basically an unofficial Nintendo character.

Of course, this is just looking at the Western demographic. In Japan, it's a much different story.

And Persona is far more recognizable than anything else Atlus puts out, especially outside of Japan; SMT is overshadowed and EO's really niche. With Cloud as precedence, I think it's very safe to say that a Persona protagonist is the only realistic expectation for an Atlus character/3rd Sega one (since Platinum Games and Bayonetta still belong to Sega).

The "average person" doesn't really care who's in the game; the roster likely wouldn't dictate a purchase for casual gamers.

C'mon guys. Shoe in for an atlus rep is Jack Frost. Company Mascot, isn't some generic anime with a sword so he's easy to animate and build a unique moveset for, Appears in more games than the average smasher even if he was the protagonist of very few. Jack Frost is the protagonist of a game on the Virtual Boy. So get out of here with your "this guy cameod on this game for the 3DS" nonsense.

Not sure if they do any Atlus character as the second "Sega rep" though (third if you count Bayonetta as Sega but we shouldn't anymore). Ryo Hazuki, A virtua fighter character. Alex Kidd. Kazuma Kiryu is very well known right now. Maaaaybe another Sonic character since I think we're out of the days where Sega puts all of their eggs into that one franchise. Gilius Thunderhead from Golden Axe. Skate from Streets of Rage. The taxi from Crazy Taxi. Sakura from Sakura Wars. Ulala from Space Channel 5. Only when we're this far down would I start thinking of SMT/Persona. And my top tier picks from those franchises are Jack Frost, Morgana, Teddie, and Joker in that order.

Edited by Glennstavos