Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

6 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Love the new ad, just another daily reminder that this game is going to be something special no doubt about it.

The best part about the ad is that it came without music and now the ad is getting so much traction simply because people are putting music in it. I've seen versions of the ad that play the Melee and Brawl themes, You Will Know Our Names, anime music, All Star by Smash Mouth, etc. Someone even put the Avengers: Infinity War trailer music over it.

In other words, the people are the ones advertising Smash Ultimate. 

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

The banner coming to life is the coolest thing ever.

I can't help but (not so seriously) wonder if the lack of music was intended so that people would try put random songs in there and see what works. Nothing seems to fit better than this though:

I think I'll need to make a Freddy Mercury Mii

8 hours ago, Johann said:

I can't help but (not so seriously) wonder if the lack of music was intended so that people would try put random songs in there and see what works. Nothing seems to fit better than this though:

I think I'll need to make a Freddy Mercury Mii

As a huge fan of Queen who thinks "Don't Stop Me Now" is one of their best songs this is just pure ecstasy.

27 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The banner trailer was pretty epic but the lack of Ganondorf is pretty weird. 

He's in there.

Much like K. Rool, he's not doing much.

Lack of Simon or Snake is pretty weird in my imo. Technically Richter is in the very first shot as a still image, but that's it. The Konami guests are the only missing guest characters except I think for Ken and Bayonetta if she counts as a "guest"

I think the most delightful edit for me came from Andre Segers when he put in "All I Want". If only because of the mental math in my head of "wait...isn't this song the one in...yeeeeessss". There's also a "Paradise City" edit that was impressively timed with its lyrics and guitar riffs - all without cutting up the song or trailer themselves.

"You forgot to put music in your trailer"

"*long drag on cigarette*...No, we didn't."

Trailer gets played more times and to more people than anything has a right to.

14 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:
More cool sakurai nods.

This is why Sakurai is the best in the bizz. I've done that glitch a dozen times but I would never think to put that in Smash in a hundred years.

ZeRo made an analysis on Roy

I can't help but be reminded of the time when he said the same thing in Smash 4 and Roy ended up being mid-tier.

But in all honesty, Roy does finally look good in this game.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

ZeRo made an analysis on Roy

I can't help but be reminded of the time when he said the same thing in Smash 4 and Roy ended up being mid-tier.

But in all honesty, Roy does finally look good in this game.

If only he had that projectile every appearance outside of FE6 inexplicably forgets to give him.

Sakurai's most recent Famitsu column discussed the last Smash Direct. It doesn't really mention anything that wasn't in the Direct itself, but you can read it here if you want.

Among other things, it revealed the exact definition of an Echo Fighter:

The Street Fighter series’ Ken will also be making an appearance in Smash Ultimate. He’s different from Ryu in so many ways, one almost wonders whether or not we should even call him an Echo Fighter… Nope. I said he was, so he is.

It also mentions that Sakurai left a spot open for a Pokémon newcomer on the project plan, like what happened last game with Greninja. He later decided on Incineroar because he wanted a pro wrestler character. Incineroar is voiced by Unshō Ishizuka, who passed away a few months ago.

Edited by Lightchao42

Yikes for Samus mains

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Among other things, it revealed the exact definition of an Echo Fighter:

So Ken isn't an Echo because Sakurai said so? Huh. I don't know how to feel about that. So you could be a character based on another character and not be an Echo unless Sakurai says you are. Guess that explains Isabelle and Dr. Mario.

Edited by Armagon

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

It also mentions that Sakurai left a spot open for a Pokémon newcomer on the project plan, like what happened last game with Greninja. He later decided on Incineroar because he wanted a pro wrestler character. Incineroar is voiced by Unshō Ishizuka, who passed away a few months ago.

Sigh, there were better candidates for a “pro-wrestler” moveset without having to give Pokemon a tenth rep. So sad. 

So basically, being an Echo Fighter or not depends on Sakurai ‘s whims. 

As for Samus, she has always been crap-tier. They really need to redo her moveset from scratch. 

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

Sigh, there were better candidates for a “pro-wrestler” moveset without having to give Pokemon a tenth rep. So sad. 

So basically, being an Echo Fighter or not depends on Sakurai ‘s whims. 

As for Samus, she has always been crap-tier. They really need to redo her moveset from scratch. 

Not always, she does have Melee to an extent, while not one of the big 5 she still makes tournament appearances and gives Leffen a hell of a time every time he fights one.

6 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Not always, she does have Melee to an extent, while not one of the big 5 she still makes tournament appearances and gives Leffen a hell of a time every time he fights one.

Well, I don’t follow the competitive scene so I missed that, I guess. Melee is nearly 20 years old. Still, the point stands; she needs to have her moveset completely reworked. The same could be said about most of the original 8 and characters like Falco and Ganondorf. 

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

So Ken isn't an Echo because Sakurai said so?

You might want to re-read that.

The Street Fighter series’ Ken will also be making an appearance in Smash Ultimate. He’s different from Ryu in so many ways, one almost wonders whether or not we should even call him an Echo Fighter… Nope. I said he was, so he is.

Ken is an Echo fighter according to that last bit.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'm mixed between Roy's voice. While fighting, I greatly prefer his Japanese voice, but he really didn't sound bad at all during his victory dialogue. It kinda makes me wish they kept his grunts and stuff and just placed in his English VA when he has real dialogue. Sorta similar to Fox in Melee, cause they got his Adventures VA to voice him in Adventure Mode.

Anyway, I was wondering about DLC. I know they said that there will be 5 new fighters, but does anyone kinda think, or at least hope, that they'll add bonus echo fighters to that as well? Because I've really been hoping for Jeanne from Bayonetta as an echo fighter.

25 minutes ago, PersonWithTime said:

I'm mixed between Roy's voice. While fighting, I greatly prefer his Japanese voice, but he really didn't sound bad at all during his victory dialogue. It kinda makes me wish they kept his grunts and stuff and just placed in his English VA when he has real dialogue. Sorta similar to Fox in Melee, cause they got his Adventures VA to voice him in Adventure Mode.

Anyway, I was wondering about DLC. I know they said that there will be 5 new fighters, but does anyone kinda think, or at least hope, that they'll add bonus echo fighters to that as well? Because I've really been hoping for Jeanne from Bayonetta as an echo fighter.

Well, Sakurai did say "and we don't mean Echoes" but I think 1 or 2 of the DLC fighters might come with Echoes of the characters that get added, like Simon & Richter showing up together, but who knows really? 

I'm not thinking we'll get many more if any more sorry to say.

Yeah, I'm at least hoping they'd add them to the DLC pack as an extra. Like, you pay for the newcomer but you also get a free Echo just because it's fun. It'd be real nice.

I won't be holding breath though. To be honest, the roaster is amazing and I really am more than satisfied with everyone they picked. Excited for more DLC announcements though! I'll be picking up that Fighter Pass when it launches, digitally or maybe physically like Japan got. I'd like a physical one so I could keep it for the game collection.

Well now that the fighter sets and season pass have been detailed, I'm very skeptical more content will be added to the package just because they feel like it. Makes no business sense. Echo fighters and mii costumes are a big question mark moving forward. Could be free downloads, or could not happen at all. Smash 4 had quite a few free updates including an entire missing mode post launch. So, my hope is that they'll pack in missing modes and features. I like echo fighters just fine, but I don't care much for adding to the roster no more.

The only free update I'm expecting is a sixth, free DLC stage similar to Smash 4's Miiverse stage.

Just because without a sixth stage, the stage select screen will be left with an ugly empty box in its bottom-right corner and unlike the character select screens, they don't re-center the rows to keep it symmetrical.