Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Umm, Min Min literally won the Arms Ultimate Party Crash Bash. So yeah, she's pretty damn popular.

Hide contents

Also, I think she's adorable. Maybe it's because I have a strong bias for Asian women. But still.

Wasn't that a game tournament? Like, playing ARMS matches with specific characters?

She doesn't look Asian to me...?

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have much personal investment in ARMS, but if there's one thing I can say it's that Sakurai's passion for each and every character he puts in smash always shines through in every presentation. I am completely a-okay with Min Min because the creativity of her moveset oozes with personality that gels with the Super Smash Bros. series perfectly.

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wasn't that a game tournament? Like, playing ARMS matches with specific characters?

Was kinda more like a Voting Gauntlet, but anyway she's the most popular character in Japan, I believe.

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Like even if you had never seen or heard of her before, I dunno how anyone could be confused about this by her reveal trailer alone. It's not even ambiguous or subtle, she's working in a traditional ramen place and has a Chinese dragon for an arm.

28 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It was, but the fact she won is likely due to having the highest number of supporters. Like Splatfest or the FEH Gauntlets, the team with the most supporters is at a clear advantage.

And yes, Min Min is VERY popular. Even at Smashboards she had the largest thread before the reveal. The only other character that comes close is Twintelle, and maybe Ninjara.

The one other positive to Min Min, is that she is the sole playable representative of her game, and while very popular I'm told, she wasn't an intended mascot/poster/main character. Sure ARMS as I understand it has near-zero plot, but this is notable. Unfortunately, I don't see anything else following in this direction. Though I'd like Smash to, because main characters aren't always the most exciting for movesets.

• Lightchao42 changed the title to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: Min Min for the win win
1 hour ago, Johann said:

Was kinda more like a Voting Gauntlet, but anyway she's the most popular character in Japan, I believe.

Like even if you had never seen or heard of her before, I dunno how anyone could be confused about this by her reveal trailer alone. It's not even ambiguous or subtle, she's working in a traditional ramen place and has a Chinese dragon for an arm.

I see.

I was talking about her lack of an Asian skin tone and Asian eyes. And I have seen her before, I have the ARMS game.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

It was, but the fact she won is likely due to having the highest number of supporters. Like Splatfest or the FEH Gauntlets, the team with the most supporters is at a clear advantage.

And yes, Min Min is VERY popular. Even at Smashboards she had the largest thread before the reveal. The only other character that comes close is Twintelle, and maybe Ninjara.

...Wow. That is very strange.

While we're still being shallow, I'm glad 3H didn't get the same treatment. It would've totally been Edelgard in that spot if it did and I don't care how interesting or unique she would be compared to "muh animu swordman" Byleth (who doesn't even use their sword that often) don't want her anywhere near Smash. If it was directed to the general FE cast I still think that everything after Ike had good enough justifications (Mage Robin, Dragon-shifting Corrin, Master of Arms Byleth) and Lucina and Chrom were echoes who are already confirmed to not take up any significant resources.

Anyway, I'm glad it's Min Min. She was always a favorite and they did a great job incorporating not only the general ARMS gameplay but also her unique gimmick into it. RIP any dreams of assist trophies being promoted though. Interesting that Sakurai didn't show off her alt colors or classic route this time like he's consistently done in the past. I guess it must've just slipped his mind but now I'm pretty curious about what it's gonna be.

Unreal. I've never been more disappointed at a Sakurai livestream. He must have removed all his video game paraphernalia  for a sterilized video. All the plushies and amiibos. Where are the goods, Sakurai!? I know you're the king of swag.

I guess I'll settle for admiring his game console collection. Man, how many of those are actively set up, I wonder? My game station is maximum six receiving power at a time, with their hdmi ports swapping in an out and composite cables fed into hdmi splitters (currently gamecube, N64, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Switch. The PS4 migrated to another room to serve as the blu ray player). No controllers in sight. Don't tell me you just stash them in a bin somewhere unceremoniously. Two tvs is pretty impressive, especially with both monitors being that size already. But I guess I have a similar setup with my desktop computer and game station in the same room. I almost always have a video/stream up while gaming, but there's no room to have both monitors side by side like that. Let's see if the legend is true...oh my god... Sakurai is one of the 30 Japanese people who owns an xbox one. Right there - between the wii u/switch and ps3 compartments. I don't see the other xboxes, but I guess there's no need for them - series wide backwards compatibility. 

Okay. I'm content with all I have seen.

Edit: okay, wait. I call bullshit on that Switch placement. Not only would it be annoying to bend over to take out and retract the switch from its dock when its an inch off the ground and tucked into a shelf, you barely have room to take it in and out from the dock. That seems inconvenient almost to the point of being impossible. The Switch dock can only be loaded from the top.

Edited by Glennstavos

45 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's a shame that FE couldn't have gotten this treatment, with a popular, interesting character over the main ones.

Sakurai did mention he started working on Byleth long before Three Houses was even released so there was no way for him to know if they were going to be more or less popular than the house lords. I'm sure his intentions were to use the avatar as a middle ground between fans of all three routes.

At the very least, I CAN appreciate that my favorite ARMS character, Ninjara, got a Mii costume. I didn't really think he'd get anything. I'd prefer him be playable, but still.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Why? As far as I've seen, she's not especially popular or anything. She isn't even cute. (Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, and Lola Pop are far cuter to me as well). And don't fans like cute characters? (As much as the idea of liking someone just for their appearance usually bugs me...)

I do recall Min Min won one tournament, but that wasn't even a popularity contest, I think.

I 100% expected this to be Ribbon Girl for being the poster girl and very cute and I'm extremely upset... I shouldn't expect much from Smash DLC anymore, I guess. No one in either this game's or Smash Wii U/3DS's DLC has been real exciting for me...

I understand your feeling of disappointment. However, there are still five more characters left that have the potential to appeal to you. 

16 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I understand your feeling of disappointment. However, there are still five more characters left that have the potential to appeal to you. 

Well, I'm losing hope anyway. Galarian Ponyta, Rex and Pyra, and Dixie Kong are currently my most wanted. However, that first one has plenty of competition with other popular gen 8 Pokemon and that last one is from a franchise that already got a newcomer, plus Sakurai seems like he just wants to forget her anyway. He planned to put Dixie in Smash all the way back in Brawl and she still has not appeared. So I feel like all I can truly hope for at this point is Rex-Rex. He would make me happy indeed, but yeah.

I'm kinda wondered if Sakurai managed to tweeked Min Min's ingame spirit battles since he did managed to show off the updated version of Cuphead's Spirit Battle since he did said that prior to the update's release have the Cuphead Mii Fighter Costume can be fought in Cuphead Spirit Battle if the player purchased and downloaded it? I definitely do think Min Min will might fight and replace the fighter that suppose to based off from Min Min in her updated ingame's Spirit Battle if the player purchased Min Min and download her to the game just like the Cuphead Mii Fighter Costume.

Edited by King Marth 64

I've never played ARMS, but from what I understand, it doesn't really have a main character? So, I suppose it makes sense to go with the popular one! I do kinda wish they had done that one time with Fire Emblem, because then we'd have Lyn. Oh well. Anyway, Min Min looks pretty fun, and also pretty technical. Looking forward to seeing who the next DLC fighter is.

5 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I've never played ARMS, but from what I understand, it doesn't really have a main character? So, I suppose it makes sense to go with the popular one! I do kinda wish they had done that one time with Fire Emblem, because then we'd have Lyn. Oh well. Anyway, Min Min looks pretty fun, and also pretty technical. Looking forward to seeing who the next DLC fighter is.

I like Min Min but honestly, that was kind of a bs statement that I'm sure Yabuki made to justify his request for Min Min. Heavily featured for the games advertising and his whole story is directly connected to the boss of the game (Max Brass) everybody else fights for different reasons. Talking about that, Spring Man has two fighter clones, one of which Max Brass with the other being Springtron, and Springtron was created as a replica of Spring Man specifically because of his popularity. He was very obviously pushed to be the lead character of the game.

The equivalent would be if Cammy would've gotten in over Ryu by a request and then severely downplaying how important Ryu is compared to the rest of the cast to justify the decision.

15 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I like Min Min but honestly, that was kind of a bs statement that I'm sure Yabuki made to justify his request for Min Min. Heavily featured for the games advertising and his whole story is directly connected to the boss of the game (Max Brass) everybody else fights for different reasons. Talking about that, Spring Man has two fighter clones, one of which Max Brass with the other being Springtron, and Springtron was created as a replica of Spring Man specifically because of his popularity. He was very obviously pushed to be the lead character of the game.

The equivalent would be if Cammy would've gotten in over Ryu by a request and then severely downplaying how important Ryu is compared to the rest of the cast to justify the decision.

I don't know much, if anything, about ARMS, but just from the look of the trailer Min Min seems like the best choice for gameplay logic given that cannon arm she has. Though I'm half expecting to be told she doesn't originally have that or that all the other fighters do as well.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't know much, if anything, about ARMS, but just from the look of the trailer Min Min seems like the best choice for gameplay logic given that cannon arm she has. Though I'm half expecting to be told she doesn't originally have that or that all the other fighters do as well.

You'd be right. Those arms can all be used by other fighters as well. Admittedly though, those are her "starter" arms while you would need to unlock them for the rest. The dragon is a bit special in that one else has them as starter arms iirc (ram ram and megawatt are naturally used by some others) but still not exclusive to her or anything.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

You'd be right. Those arms can all be used by other fighters as well. Admittedly though, those are her "starter" arms while you would need to unlock them for the rest. The dragon is a bit special in that one else has them as starter arms iirc (ram ram and megawatt are naturally used by some others) but still not exclusive to her or anything.

All ARMS are unique to just one character until you unlock them for other characters. And the process by which you unlocked them was totally randomized and on a character by character basis. Playing as Spring Man might unlock something like the Dragon for him, but not if you switched to Ribbon Girl. It was quite grindy as I recall, and possible to earn duplicates. Some ARMS technically were the same in terms of gameplay (for instance, Min Min's Ram Ram and Master Mummy's Phoenix are both curved projectiles that inflict fire damage when charged), but they still have a unique aesthetic to match their character. They're her weapons, even ignoring the fact that the Dragon is more powerful when she uses it.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Max Brass is definitely not a clone of Spring Man. They don't play similarly at all. He is only the final boss of arcade mode on the easier difficulties. Ramp up the difficulty a bit and you get to fight the game's actual antagonist, Hedlok. And pointing out the differing agendas of each fighter in the tournament only proves Yabuki's point that nobody is the main character. Even saying that Ryu is the "main character of Street Fighter's story" would sound odd since only a small handful of other characters have backstories that even involve the guy. 

In terms of the ARMS developer choosing Min Min, I feel that he chose her because she won the Party Crash Bash (or whatever it was called). I've heard that the developers really like Ninjara, but they did not pick him. Maybe the Arms developer used the survey as a decider for smash? 

Edited by Bk1234

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

All ARMS are unique to just one character until you unlock them for other characters. And the process by which you unlocked them was totally randomized and on a character by character basis. Playing as Spring Man might unlock something like the Dragon for him, but not if you switched to Ribbon Girl. It was quite grindy as I recall, and possible to earn duplicates. Some ARMS technically were the same in terms of gameplay (for instance, Min Min's Ram Ram and Master Mummy's Phoenix are both curved projectiles that inflict fire damage when charged), but they still have a unique aesthetic to match their character. They're her weapons, even ignoring the fact that the Dragon is more powerful when she uses it.

Max Brass is definitely not a clone of Spring Man. They don't play similarly at all. He is only the final boss of arcade mode on the easier difficulties. Ramp up the difficulty a bit and you get to fight the game's actual antagonist, Hedlok. And pointing out the differing agendas of each fighter in the tournament only proves Yabuki's point that nobody is the main character. Even saying that Ryu is the "main character of Street Fighter's story" would sound odd since only a small handful of other characters have backstories that even involve the guy. 

Oh I know that you have to unlock them individually for each character so yeah it's a bit grindy but like not extremely so and it's a fairly easy mini game. Min Min's Megawatt and Master Mummy's Megaton are almost identical that that I forgot they weren't just reskins of one another which what I was thinking of when I said that others share starting arms. Also, Dragon isn't more powerful on Min Min? Are you talking about her left arm that powers up? That'll power up any weapon not just dragon.

Max Brass is definitely a clone. A straight up better clone but still a clone. He shares the defining trait of having his arms powered at 25% health and also being able to block attacks mid charge like Spring Man except he also has that bulk up mechanic which grants him super armor. And yes I have fought Hedlok but who does Hedlok posses? Max Brass. Which would still make him the final boss by proxy.

Saying Ryu is the main character isn't strange. It doesn't matter if he isn't up in everybody's business. The overall plot still centers around him. Sagat, M.Bison, Akuma those are all notable antagonist who's motivation comes from being able to defeat, manipulate, or control Ryu's power. They couldn't give two shits about someone like Blanka and his mutation problems. Likewise Spring Man is the same position. Yeah sure others have their own agenda but it's still Spring Man who is given the most focus when it comes down to it.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:46 AM, Bk1234 said:

In terms of the ARMS developer choosing Min Min, I feel that he chose her because she won the Party Crash Bash (or whatever it was called). I've heard that the developers really like Ninjara, but they did not pick him. Maybe the Arms developer used the survey as a decider for smash? 

The creator from ARMS was the one chose Min Min to let Sakruai included her in the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 roster that I recall hearing it about. I think the creator had to wait to think of choosing which ARMS character back then before the Party Crash Bash started at that time.

Edited by King Marth 64