Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, know_naim said:

Have you seen how this man stashes all of his games? 

This interview from 2017 is still worth a read: http://sourcegaming.info/2017/01/07/sakurais-surprising-storage-skills-pt-1/

I want to game with Sakurai before I die. Especially if one of the games on tap is ARMY of TWO

I just realized; you know how there are Spirit Battles where hostile Assist Trophies appear? Why aren't there Spirits where friendly Assist Trophies pop put at the start of a Spirit Battle to help you?

It would have been nice if there were friendly Spirit Battles where you're helping the Spirit you get instead of fighting them. Spirits of antagonists could still be opponents, but Spirits of friendly characters could be allies.

Edited by Lord_Brand

11 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'm hoping that the Heihachi mii costume is good news for a potential Tales rep. If BN gets a new character, I hope it will be Tales.

Personally I'm holding out for a fully fledged Tekken rep, but a Tales Of character would be just as cool. I imagine they'd pick Lloyd because he's the fan favorite, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Yuri or Velvet.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Personally I'm holding out for a fully fledged Tekken rep, but a Tales Of character would be just as cool. I imagine they'd pick Lloyd because he's the fan favorite, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Yuri or Velvet.

I would love any character from the Tales Of series! 😍 Lloyd is one of my Top 10 Most Wanted Characters, so he would be my pick. For Bandai Namco, I would be cool with Klonoa as well. 🤞

For Tales, I'd really like to see Yuri, their best & most popular protagonist.

And as said in other threads, I'd add Repede to his moveset to make him more fun/innovative instead of just another sword wielder. We don't have that many Ice Climbers style tag-team characters, and a good dog can soften even the most jaded Smash fans' hearts. I just wouldn't let Repede grab foes, to prevent the wobble shenanigans that Ice Climbers have.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I disagree with Yuri being the best but him appearing as a tag team with Repede would be awesome.

Honestly, if side characters are allowed, I'd really like to see Collete as a Tales Of representative. Aside from avoiding the usual downpour of "muh animu swordman" complaints, she'd really have a unique moveset from Chakrams, to Angelic artes (Holy Song, Angel Feathers, Judgement), to Pow Pow Hammer and Stardust Cross.

22 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

For Tales, I'd really like to see Yuri, their best & most popular protagonist.

I would like to see Yuri as well! (please use Savage Wolf Fury as his FS, I think that cinematic is very nice.)

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:
I can't believe I never once saw this. Was this possible in Brawl and Smash 4?

I can't speak for certain on Brawl, but it wasn't in 4. In 4's case it wouldn't have really come up, with the only ice attacks in the main game being the Freezie item, one of Game&Watch's nine possible judge outcomes, and a couple custom moves like Luigi's iceball and Mega Man's Ice Slasher. 

I can't think of any assist trophy interactions as poignant as freezing the metroid. I remember shouting with glee the first time I saw the Starman have the Smaaaaash text when you KO him . That's new in Ultimate. Gray Fox reflects projectiles with his sword - to reference his deflecting of bullets when you fight him in MGS1.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Freezing a Metroid is a reference to the game, in which you need to freeze them so you can kill them.

It's cool that they would include that but it's sorta ironic that Samus doesn't have her ice beam to actually do that herself

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

It's cool that they would include that but it's sorta ironic that Samus doesn't have her ice beam to actually do that herself

Haha, that's true. I'm not sure why they dont.

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

You say ironic, I say absolutely atrocious. It's one of her most iconic abilities and it's completely absent from all smash games. They didn't even bother to put it in any of her custom moves in Smash 4!

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You say ironic, I say absolutely atrocious. It's one of her most iconic abilities and it's completely absent from all smash games. They didn't even bother to put it in any of her custom moves in Smash 4!

Ice beam would be rad, but its not the biggest loss. Also, it would be kinda annoying, to say the least.

Real talk; I genuinely support characters that most people would shut down because it's not Doomguy or Dante or Geno, etc.

Nothing against the characters themselves or their fans, but I'm actually kind of sick seeing people consistently put these kinds of characters on their wishlists and being all aggro to other people when it's not that character. Henceforth, I support the idea of adding completely new franchises to each Challenger Pack so people can broaden their horizons to game genres beyond all the mainstream schlock.

This doesn't mean I want NO big names (Sora and Crash are among my most wanted); I just gravitate more towards characters who simply have potential for a fun moveset, regardless of whether or not they're popular. It's like Sakurai said with Terry: fun gameplay is more important than how much of a superstar a character is.

34 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Ice beam would be rad, but its not the biggest loss. Also, it would be kinda annoying, to say the least.

That really depends on how it's implemented. We already have several characters with ice based special moves.

7 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Real talk; I genuinely support characters that most people would shut down because it's not Doomguy or Dante or Geno, etc.

Nothing against the characters themselves or their fans, but I'm actually kind of sick seeing people consistently put these kinds of characters on their wishlists and being all aggro to other people when it's not that character. Henceforth, I support the idea of adding completely new franchises to each Challenger Pack so people can broaden their horizons to game genres beyond all the mainstream schlock.

This doesn't mean I want NO big names (Sora and Crash are among my most wanted); I just gravitate more towards characters who simply have potential for a fun moveset, regardless of whether or not they're popular. It's like Sakurai said with Terry: fun gameplay is more important than how much of a superstar a character is.

Theres no need to get upset over them, they arent worth it. If you want a character in, that's great, why let someone else drag you down?

Anyone else having a blast with Min Min? I especially like her Classic Mode. Here's her route:

Spoiler

Classic Mode: ARMS at the Ready

Round 1: Mii Brawler x2 (Spring Man and Ribbon Girl costumes) on Spring Stadium, Omega (Spring Stadium)

Round 2: Little Mac on Boxing Ring (Sparring Ring)

Round 3: Green Samus and Green Mega Man on Frigate Orpheon (DNA Lab)

Round 4: Giant White Donkey Kong on Kongo Jungle 64 (Mausoleum)

Round 5: R.O.B. x6 (horde battle) on Spring Stadium, Battlefield (Scrapyard)

Round 6: Min Min on Spring Stadium (Ramen Bowl)
Final Round: Galleom (ARMS Grand Prix Final Battle)

7 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Anyone else having a blast with Min Min? I especially like her Classic Mode. Here's her route:

Reveal hidden contents

Classic Mode: ARMS at the Ready

Round 1: Mii Brawler x2 (Spring Man and Ribbon Girl costumes) on Spring Stadium, Omega (Spring Stadium)

Round 2: Little Mac on Boxing Ring (Sparring Ring)

Round 3: Green Samus and Green Mega Man on Frigate Orpheon (DNA Lab)

Round 4: Giant White Donkey Kong on Kongo Jungle 64 (Mausoleum)

Round 5: R.O.B. x6 (horde battle) on Spring Stadium, Battlefield (Scrapyard)

Round 6: Min Min on Spring Stadium (Ramen Bowl)
Final Round: Galleom (ARMS Grand Prix Final Battle)

Oh wow. DIdn't even know she was in it already. Guess I'll go download her now.

I like her, but she definitely takes some getting used to. Do the dragon arm lasers home in? It seems like they do, and I don't know if Sakurai brought it up or not.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh wow. DIdn't even know she was in it already. Guess I'll go download her now.

I hope that means we get a second announcement soon. Because I'm kind of holding out until someone I'm interested in gets in. Last time it was Banjo & Kazooie. Honestly, there's no topping that for me seeing as my most wanted from my childhood are in already. I'm just seeing what the flow of the pack is before I buy.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:48 PM, Perkilator said:

I understand this. There are people who genuinely shut down characters because it doesn’t fit their “criteria” for a fighter. For example, whenever I brought up a spirit character before Min Min someone (not on here) would shut it down. Keep hoping and then you can laugh at them when they’re wrong! 😂