Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Y'know, I still wanna believe that Assist Trophies deconfirm for DLC, since I don't think Sakurai would be okay with locking one as a fully playable character behind a paywall.

In the ARMS presentation, it seemed like Sakurai considered Springman, despite him being an assist trophy. I’m not going to get my hopes too high, but I think it is POSSIBLE that this “rule” might be broken... 🤔

Wanna know how I handle 2-player Classic Mode by myself? I choose characters with both Joy-Cons, SD the P1 character, and play the rest of the P1 character’s route as the P2 character.

…It’s mainly just a personal excuse of mine to fight different bosses as different characters (Lucas vs. Dracula, Dr. Mario vs. Marx, etc.)

There’s a Spirit Event for Octopath Traveler of all games.

Not only is this the first Spirit Event with new Spirits since Trials of Mana, but both events are from lesser-known Square Enix games. Could this raise hope for series like Kingdom Hearts or The World Ends with You to get Sora or Neku as a fighter?

Is Octopath Traveler really a lesser known game? It's like the only Square Enix game on switch that's not a port and I remember it being heavily marketed.

It's neat, I really loved Octopath Traveler so it's cool seeing it get something in the game. I really wonder why they're paired up at all tho instead of just appearing as individual spirits? i like the pairings at least. I think they all compliment each other nicely. Although, I think they were just chosen like that because their starting locations are next to each other.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Interesting that they're representing Olberic with Black Knight and not, say, Ike. I assume this means Mii Swordfighter? Personally, I would have paired them off by role:

• Ophilia & Primrose
  • Cyrus & Alfyn
  • Tressa & Therion
  • Olberic & Haanit
Edited by Lord_Brand

22 hours ago, Perkilator said:
Could this raise hope for series like Kingdom Hearts or The World Ends with You to get Sora or Neku as a fighter?

You really want Sora as a playable character, huh?

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You really want Sora as a playable character, huh?

Of course! I’ve wanted him playable since 2017, and I will genuinely die on this hill in hope of that.

Edited by Perkilator

2 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Of course! I’ve wanted him playable since 2017, and I will genuinely die on this hill in hope of that.

I'm sorry, nothing personal against Sora, but i would much rather see Aqua than him.

He would be fine, if I had no choices, though.

So who do you guys think might be the Terry and Joker of Vol. 2? Characters who we don't really talk about but come from a relatively small, yet influential franchise (and may be very recent or very old)?

My bet would be Sakura Shinguji from Sakura Wars.

Just to ask: how would you react if this was the starting roster for a Smash Ultimate rerelease?

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Dark Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jigglypuff
  • Inkling
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • King K. Rool
  • Isabelle
  • Incineroar
  • Piranha Plant

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Just to ask: how would you react if this was the starting roster for a Smash Ultimate rerelease?

• Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Dark Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Ness
  • Captain Falcon
  • Jigglypuff
  • Inkling
  • Ridley
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • King K. Rool
  • Isabelle
  • Incineroar
  • Piranha Plant

I totally think this part of the discussion of what if for most Ultimate fighters are part of the starters, I still think Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Richter (since he's Simon's Echo Fighter) still be unlockable for the In-Game Roster. Also, the Piranha Plant is DLC, he wouldn't be starter in the roster since Sakurai didn't finish develop Pirahna Plant for the game's release.

I was expecting Min Min to plague the doubles quickplay scene, which is the only one that I frequent. But among the 50+ matches my friend and I played together, only once have we encountered double Min Min (and it was extremely easy, since they didn't seem to know they can throw punches consecutively, or that they could move while punching), and only one other match did we encounter Min Min at all. In fact, I think we encountered all six of the other DLC characters more than we have Min Min in that time. Maybe a lot of the usual playerbase is holding off on this DLC pack until they see more? Whatever the case, I've been playing my own ARMS character:

I still think we need a Nintendo Direct sometime this month or somewhere closer since we haven't had a Nintendo Direct for months. I'm still kinda wondered what was the seventh Challenger Pack DLC Fighter going to be.

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Anyone hear the rumors about a Direct on July 20th?

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but assuming it's true, I still wanna believe CP7 will be revealed then.

I hope CP7 will at least get a teaser trailer. 🤞

This is something quick that I’ve been meaning to do. It’s come to my attention recently that certain characters’ playstyle are the way they are to (possibly) fill a playstyle archetype.

Mario: Mr. Basic playstyle
Donkey Kong: Gorilla playstyle
Samus: Space Marine playstyle (kinda?)
Kirby: Mimic playstyle
Ice Climbers: 2-in-1 Fighter playstyle
Sheik and Greninja: Ninja playstyle (in case you couldn’t tell from the latter’s name)
Zelda: Mystic Girl playstyle
Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina and Chrom: Bare Swordsman playstyle
Diddy Kong: Small Animal playstyle
Olimar: Commander playstyle
Mega Man and the Belmonts: NES Platformer playstyle
Little Mac: Boxer playstyle
Miis: ANY playstyle the player chooses
Robin: Magical Knight playstyle
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings: Mech Suit playstyle
Ryu, Ken and Terry: Traditional Fighting Game playstyle
Incineroar: Wrester playstyle
Joker: Master Thief playstyle
Hero: Turn-Based RPG playstyle
Byleth: Master of Arms playstyle
Min-Min: Master of TWO Arms playstyle

I’m not necessarily defending or knocking these playstyles. Just wanted to get analytical about them.

10 hours ago, Perkilator said:

This is something quick that I’ve been meaning to do. It’s come to my attention recently that certain characters’ playstyle are the way they are to (possibly) fill a playstyle archetype.

Mario: Mr. Basic playstyle
Donkey Kong: Gorilla playstyle
Samus: Space Marine playstyle (kinda?)
Kirby: Mimic playstyle
Ice Climbers: 2-in-1 Fighter playstyle
Sheik and Greninja: Ninja playstyle (in case you couldn’t tell from the latter’s name)
Zelda: Mystic Girl playstyle
Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucina and Chrom: Bare Swordsman playstyle
Diddy Kong: Small Animal playstyle
Olimar: Commander playstyle
Mega Man and the Belmonts: NES Platformer playstyle
Little Mac: Boxer playstyle
Miis: ANY playstyle the player chooses
Robin: Magical Knight playstyle
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings: Mech Suit playstyle
Ryu, Ken and Terry: Traditional Fighting Game playstyle
Incineroar: Wrester playstyle
Joker: Master Thief playstyle
Hero: Turn-Based RPG playstyle
Byleth: Master of Arms playstyle
Min-Min: Master of TWO Arms playstyle

I’m not necessarily defending or knocking these playstyles. Just wanted to get analytical about them.

Your more just using adjectives than actually pinning down any actual archetypes, especially since a lot of it is aesthetic based. Like Gollia is not a common playstyle in any kind of fighting game. That would be a tank or heavy fighter. And Kirby isn't a based around mimicking other characters. He has one move that can steal attacks from other characters, but it is not central to his moveset and in fact I expect most Kirby matches don't involve him copying any abilities at all.

For future reference-if Sakurai’s going to end most routes with Master Hand, at least have a different Omega Form stage (like with Donkey Kong and Joker).

Edited by Perkilator

37 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

We've only two days left to see if the rumored Direct happens. Assuming it does, do you think we'll get CP7 there? If so, do you think there'll be gameplay or not?

I think it's possible they might announce who the character is going to be, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of gameplay. I imagine the pandemic will make the development cycle for fighter's pass two much slower than the first one. However, I am definitely open to being surprised if they can get challenger pack seven into our hands sooner than I expect.