Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Huh. If it's really that far along, I wonder why they're being so coy about showing us stuff. They were really liberal about information last time and it rose the hype to epic levels.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Smash 5 tournament at E3 before the game is even out, God bless.

Huh; does this mean we're possibly getting a direct before E3 (or a Smash direct, even)? Unless it's a port or the E3 tournament version is condensed significantly, I don't see them showing so much of Smash 5 at E3 that could potentially be shown in the tournament, and I doubt they're going to pull a BOTW again with E3.

22 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Huh; does this mean we're possibly getting a direct before E3 (or a Smash direct, even)? Unless it's a port or the E3 tournament version is condensed significantly, I don't see them showing so much of Smash 5 at E3 that could potentially be shown in the tournament, and I doubt they're going to pull a BOTW again with E3.

They did this same thing with Smash 4 four years ago and it was a very condensed version, likely a demo version that was never released publicly. It will probably a chunk of expected veterans, Inklings, and any newcomers revealed before E3, if any. The one for Smash 4 didn't have the characters revealed at that E3 (Mii Fighters, Palutena, Pac-Man), so we can't be sure they will here.

37 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What? Guys, how do we know that they're not actually playing Smash Wii U or 3DS rather than the new Smash?

Because they didn't say Wii U, why would they host an invitational for people who've been playing the game for years now?

Edited by Jedi

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Because they didn't say Wii U, why would they host an invitational for people who've been playing the game for years now?

But I wouldn't think Smash Switch is far along enough yet. So I still have my doubts that it's that game.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But I wouldn't think Smash Switch is far along enough yet. So I still have my doubts that it's that game.

Just so you know, this game has been in development for two years now. Smash for Wii U had an invitational tournament at E3 2014, and at the time it was also in development for two years.

Based on this the game "not being far along enough yet" isn't an issue.

15 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Just so you know, this game has been in development for two years now. Smash for Wii U had an invitational tournament at E3 2014, and at the time it was also in development for two years.

Based on this the game "not being far along enough yet" isn't an issue.

Then I question why we just got a teaser trailer and no gameplay.

34 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then I question why we just got a teaser trailer and no gameplay.

It can be argued that teasers are more hype because it leaves you wanting for more, and with the floodgates open for new possibilities, our minds start concocting as many as we can whilst attempting to contain our excitement. FEW, Metroid Prime 4, and the best example imho, Halo 3; those teasers were simply made to hype us up. But it's not necessarily an indication of how far along a game is in development. We haven't seen any gameplay simply because they don't feel it's the right time to show us any yet. Movies have teasers too, for the same reason, just replace "gameplay" with "sneak preview".

1 minute ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

It can be argued that teasers are more hype because it leaves you wanting for more, and with the floodgates open for new possibilities, our minds start concocting as many as we can whilst attempting to contain our excitement. FEW, Metroid Prime 4, and the best example imho, Halo 3; those teasers were simply made to hype us up. But it's not necessarily an indication of how far along a game is in development. We haven't seen any gameplay simply because they don't feel it's the right time to show us any yet. Movies have teasers too, for the same reason, just replace "gameplay" with "sneak preview".

Yeah, but why not show that teaser six months ago and have gameplay to show us now?

1 hour ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Yeah, but then I'd ask just what Jotari just did. xP

It says on the website that the invitational is Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch.

I'm happy that we'll be getting a lot of gameplay footage for Smash Switch at E3. I wonder how they will do newcomer reveals and if newcomers revealed there will be playable in the tournament. Either way this means we will probably get to see more returning characters from the start if this is like the invitational at E3 2014.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but why not show that teaser six months ago and have gameplay to show us now?

What's weirder to me is that Smash is just one of 4 major first party series with a new Switch game coming this year that we know nothing about (others being FE, Pokemon, and Metroid Prime). I suspect and hope that we'll get some series-specific Directs before E3.

28 minutes ago, Johann said:

What's weirder to me is that Smash is just one of 4 major first party series with a new Switch game coming this year that we know nothing about (others being FE, Pokemon, and Metroid Prime). I suspect and hope that we'll get some series-specific Directs before E3.

I think Metroid Prime 4 isn't set to release this year. Pokemon will probably be revealed within the next few months before E3. I hope we get to see Fire Emblem Switch before E3. Maybe we will get a Direct revealing FE16. There are some games that we need to see more of like Yoshi and Dragon Quest XI and they could also throw in some new info and characters for Octopath Traveler. One last thing to get fans by before E3 happens. I said E3 a lot in this post.

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

Pokemon and Metroid Prime were never promised for a 2018 release. Fire Emblem was, but that was also 14 months ago and having heard nothing about that game since has left us feeling less confident. Between the four games, we know most about Smash at this moment, because of the reveal of one new playable character. We also know the game will have a playable build at E3 because of that tournament. Though it might not be available for anybody other than the tournament contestants and premium outlets such as IGN. We'll have to wait and see.

The E3 2014 demo was really cool by the way. 20 playable characters, six of which were newcomers. I really feel like the next time we hear from Smash will be before E3. Because the amount of time they need to introduce and explain the game is way more than they probably have for their E3 conference.

I don't really like E3 tournaments (the smash 4 or the Pokken Tournmanent one) ... I would l rather see competetive game for new games after some semblence of a meta-game has developed, as I find that figuring out things as people go along to not really feel competetive to me...  I feel like using this kind of pre-release strategy taps into  blind/let's play appeal, which is unnecssary for helping the game sell well or representing it. Which is why I also think that certain games should have waited a year to get their first appearance at certain EVOs

I think a playable demo and presentation at E3 would just work better for me fhan a nonsensical tournament.

@LaserDuda@Glennstavos Ah whoops, I dunno where I got it in my head that Pokemon and MP4 would be coming 2018. I do anticipate that both Smash and FE will get their own Directs before E3 though, and that Smash is probably going to be used to help generate hype for FE.

13 hours ago, Florete said:

They did this same thing with Smash 4 four years ago and it was a very condensed version, likely a demo version that was never released publicly. It will probably a chunk of expected veterans, Inklings, and any newcomers revealed before E3, if any. The one for Smash 4 didn't have the characters revealed at that E3 (Mii Fighters, Palutena, Pac-Man), so we can't be sure they will here.

I mean, yeah, that was condensed, too, though we've seen plenty of gameplay and such beforehand. But trusting that nothing revealed in E3 is put in the invitational, this implies they gotta show something for Smash before E3 happens; at least enough that there's not too much new stuff revealed in the tourney, but just enough. I feel this means we should get a Smash Direct; that seems potentially big enough in shown content that would be later used in the invitational.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:59 PM, NoirCore said:

I mean, yeah, that was condensed, too, though we've seen plenty of gameplay and such beforehand. But trusting that nothing revealed in E3 is put in the invitational, this implies they gotta show something for Smash before E3 happens; at least enough that there's not too much new stuff revealed in the tourney, but just enough. I feel this means we should get a Smash Direct; that seems potentially big enough in shown content that would be later used in the invitational.

Maybe, unless they're being oddly hush hush about this one, until the invitational. 

Seems to be a potential new approach, but I kinda doubt they'd keep everything quiet before then haha.

From a guy with a rather hit-or-miss record that's been on a bit of a "hit" streak (predicted the most recent Direct and most of its contents).

Doesn't sound surprising overall. The SSE was missed in Smash 4, and they really started to wedge the door open with 3rd parties in Smash 4 as they began to realize they got more hype than 1st party characters.

Edited by The DanMan

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

From a guy with a rather hit-or-miss record that's been on a bit of a "hit" streak (predicted the most recent Direct and most of its contents).

Doesn't sound surprising overall. The SSE was missed in Smash 4, and they really started to wedge the door open with 3rd parties in Smash 4 as they began to realize they got more hype than 1st party characters.

Oh God. I really hope he's wrong about the third party representation. As hype as it was seeing Cloud in Smash, by the time we had the full roster, there were seven 3rd party characters and i kinda feel that's pushing it.

I wouldn't mind it as much if the third parties represented have actual history with Nintendo but still.