Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Interesting that they brought back Pit's Brawl Dark Pit alt. In Smash 4, the Dark Pit alt still had white wings.

Pit_Palette_(SSB4).png

Brawl pallets for comparison

Pit_Palette_(SSBB).png

I wonder if this means Dark Pit's white alt will have white wings?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Alt colors for those who didn't get a good glance at them in the video 

snip

to note again for anyone who missed it, due to meta ridley's absence from the demo and him clearly using a different model in the video, we can safely assume that these are not all of the alts and some characters may very well get more than 8 alts.

also, snakes first alt reminds me of the sneaking suit in MGSV and fierce deity link looks worse than smash 4 and hyrule warriors' fierce deity alt for link already ruined his smash 4 version, I certainly hope that looks better in the final game, on the bright side dark link looks better than smash 4. the pokemon trainer alts are also references to other generations it seems. I would put money on green pikachu being female.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

14 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

to note again for anyone who missed it, due to meta ridley's absence from the demo and him clearly using a different model in the video, we can safely assume that these are not all of the alts and some characters may very well get more than 8 alts.

I don't think we'll see characters get more than 8 alts. I think 4 of Ridley's alts are placeholders for his Meta Ridley alts. From the looks of it, Sakurai doesn't want a repeat of Little Mac having 16 alts, evidenced by Mac only having 8 alts, with 6 of them being regular Mac and the last two being wireframe Mac.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I don't think we'll see characters get more than 8 alts. I think 4 of Ridley's alts are placeholders for his Meta Ridley alts. From the looks of it, Sakurai doesn't want a repeat of Little Mac having 16 alts, evidenced by Mac only having 8 alts, with 6 of them being regular Mac and the last two being wireframe Mac.

it is still a demo, they could have more stuff planned, they probably did 8 because they wanted that to be the standard (like it was in smash 4) because 8 player smash exists.

then there is also the fact that in the demo they also included every alt that was highlighted in the direct (note that meta ridley received no fanfare), I doubt that what is here now is all that will exist.

18 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

it is still a demo, they could have more stuff planned, they probably did 8 because they wanted that to be the standard (like it was in smash 4) because 8 player smash exists.

then there is also the fact that in the demo they also included every alt that was highlighted in the direct (note that meta ridley received no fanfare), I doubt that what is here now is all that will exist.

It's true that it's a demo but i still don't see them going over the standard 8 alts. Most of the alts in the demo are likely set in stone already, with Ridley being the exception. I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure that four of Ridley's alts will be replaced by Meta Ridley in the full game.

Din's Fire and Farore's Wind look like they travel much faster now! so much yay!!!!!!!! Either that or I'm crazy lol

and also I love how the phantom works now, just kinda sitting there for like a second and then shooting out in a split second

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Alt colors for those who didn't get a good glance at them in the video 

Sheik_Palette_(SSBU).png

Zelda_Palette_(SSBU).png

omg yas that Twilight Princess palette swap tho!!!!!!! Also loving both Sheik and Zelda's white costume!1!! does anyone know what Zelda's black and white costumes reference? if anything?

Edited by Carter

3 hours ago, Carter said:

and white costumes reference? if anything?

I'm guessing

TLoZ_Zelda_Sprite_2.png?version=79ea296a

Zelda 1 Zelda if game is finished with the Blue Ring equipped (her dress will always match Link's tunic, so red with Red Ring, green with no ring obtained)

Or

ZeldaALttPDungeon.png?version=5b253bda1e48px-ALttP_Princess_Zelda_Artwork.png?ve

A Link to the Past Zelda. Her actual Blue alt is too dark to be referencing either of these.

Hey, there IS an actual Hilda palette for Zelda! It's not the sixth one like some thought, it's the fourth. The gem of the circlet being red and the correct part of the dress being purple matches. They just forgot to also color Zelda's hair purple for whatever reason, but this works well enough for me.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Hey, there IS an actual Hilda palette for Zelda! It's not the sixth one like some thought, it's the fourth. The gem of the circlet being red and the correct part of the dress being purple matches. They just forgot to also color Zelda's hair purple for whatever reason, but this works well enough for me.

Oh!!! I always thought that was the Ocarina of Time palette swap? Maybe I was mistaken... either way, I love the color!!

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

It's basically the same thing with having Roy's color palette on Marth, but retaining Marth's blue hair.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, Armagon said:

I don't see why they couldn't increase the standard to something like, say, 12 alts per character. They could very well have just limited things for the demo build.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I don't see why they couldn't increase the standard to something like, say, 12 alts per character. They could very well have just limited things for the demo build.

That's true, they could always increase the standard to a higher number, as it has happened in the past. Smash 64 had an average of 4.7 alts, Melee had an average 5 alts per character (there was no set standard for alts in those two games), Brawl had 6 alts (not counting Wario, who had 12) and Sm4sh had 8 (not counting Little Mac who had 16). 

Though i still don't think we'll see another Brawl Wario or Sm4sh Little Mac case where one specific character ends up having double the standard amount of alts. Every time it happens, they end up getting the standard number in the next game. So i'm gonna hold on to my theory that not all of Ridley's alts will be present in the final game until i'm proven otherwise.

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Oh!!! I always thought that was the Ocarina of Time palette swap? Maybe I was mistaken... either way, I love the color!!

I thought she wore pink...

I could go double check though.

Seems sometimes it looks more pink, sometimes more purple. But I still think the purple in the palette lines up more with Hilda.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's true, they could always increase the standard to a higher number, as it has happened in the past. Smash 64 had an average of 4.7 alts, Melee had an average 5 alts per character (there was no set standard for alts in those two games), Brawl had 6 alts (not counting Wario, who had 12) and Sm4sh had 8 (not counting Little Mac who had 16). 

Though i still don't think we'll see another Brawl Wario or Sm4sh Little Mac case where one specific character ends up having double the standard amount of alts. Every time it happens, they end up getting the standard number in the next game. So i'm gonna hold on to my theory that not all of Ridley's alts will be present in the final game until i'm proven otherwise.

Maybe we have more alts or maybe some alts will be DLC/bought in game while some could be launch copy bonuses.

34 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I thought she wore pink...

I could go double check though.

Seems sometimes it looks more pink, sometimes more purple. But I still think the purple in the palette lines up more with Hilda.

As much as I love to keep talking about Zelda, I'll leave this to a spoiler to not take up so much space lol

Spoiler

Yeah, that's what I thought too initially, because it seems that OoT Zelda wears pink in official art that dates back to when OoT first came out. I know that in Melee, Zelda was based off her OoT appearance and wore pink, and then in Brawl she had a palette swap based off of that same appearance.

But then it seemed, after the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time (which was released after Brawl's "pink OoT" costume), that Zelda's appearance was made more purple (not completely purple, just more purple, y'know?). As seen here (video link to the ending of OoT 3D), where the color of her dress nearly matches the Smash Ultimate palette swap spot-on. And then after that, Adult OoT Zelda consistently appeared in purple, rather than pink, as shown in her Hyrule Warriors OoT costume and her Smash 4 "OoT palette swap".

Honestly i didn't really like that only Little Mac had 16 costumes in sm4sh, while everyone else only got 8. like why would a wire costume need 8 versions of it? why would someone who has different genders (robin, corrin), or someone that has 2 different outfits (wario, cloud, bayonetta) only get 8 if someone who just becomes wire get 16? doesn't make sense to me

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

As much as I love to keep talking about Zelda, I'll leave this to a spoiler to not take up so much space lol

Hide contents

Yeah, that's what I thought too initially, because it seems that OoT Zelda wears pink in official art that dates back to when OoT first came out. I know that in Melee, Zelda was based off her OoT appearance and wore pink, and then in Brawl she had a palette swap based off of that same appearance.

But then it seemed, after the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time (which was released after Brawl's "pink OoT" costume), that Zelda's appearance was made more purple (not completely purple, just more purple, y'know?). As seen here (video link to the ending of OoT 3D), where the color of her dress nearly matches the Smash Ultimate palette swap spot-on. And then after that, Adult OoT Zelda consistently appeared in purple, rather than pink, as shown in her Hyrule Warriors OoT costume and her Smash 4 "OoT palette swap".

Yeah, that's all true.

Still strikes me more as a Hilda palette though, since it's ALBW Zelda using it and that purple still seems just a bit closer to Hilda's than OoT Adult Zelda.

Bowser and Ganondorf transform into giant monstrosities. Fox, Falco and Wolf summons a squadron of starfighters. Meanwhile Sheik just draws her knife.

Edited by BrightBow

49 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Bowser and Ganondorf transform into giant monstrosities. Fox, Falco and Wolf summons a squadron of starfighters. Meanwhile Sheik just draws her knife.

Seeing as this incarnation of Sheik is taking cues from Breath of the Wild, I'm not surprised she'd be using an Eightfold Blade for her final smash.

13 minutes ago, Dai said:

Seeing as this incarnation of Sheik is taking cues from Breath of the Wild, I'm not surprised she'd be using an Eightfold Blade for her final smash.

It's a lot more fitting too. I personally was never a fan of Sheik using the Light Arrow.

You know who's Final Smash shouldn't have been changed? Pit's. Three Sacred Treasures was perfectly fine. Lightning Chariot should've been given to Dark Pit instead.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know who's Final Smash shouldn't have been changed? Pit's. Three Sacred Treasures was perfectly fine. Lightning Chariot should've been given to Dark Pit instead.

I'm more disappointed that Dark Pit's Final Smash is still the same as last time. But yeah, it is kind of odd they changed them like that.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's a lot more fitting too. I personally was never a fan of Sheik using the Light Arrow.

Nah, Pit's final smash should have changed. But it should have been the Great Sacred Treasure instead.

I personally liked the The Sacred Treasures as Pit's final smash, and I agree that Lightning Chariot should have been Dark Pit's, but... oh well. Dark Pit's staff thing feels a bit lazy and weird to me, but I don't dislike it i think.

while we're on the topic of final smashes, Peach desperately needs a new one, and I think it's safe to assume she will get one.