Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

Out of curiosity, what’s your gripe with it?

Trevors portrayal, Dracula's potrayal, the lack of iconic music in the franchise, and just a bunch of little things that personally bug me constantly.

I will give the animation huge props and the Alucard fight props as well, I just really cannot stand Trevor in it, and considering he's the lead...

That said I can understand why people would like it.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Trevors portrayal, Dracula's potrayal, the lack of iconic music in the franchise, and just a bunch of little things that personally bug me constantly.

I will give the animation huge props and the Alucard fight props as well, I just really cannot stand Trevor in it, and considering he's the lead...

He is admittedly an insufferable ass, I’ll give you that. I felt Dracula was fine, though. Vengeful against humans, and rightfully angry.

To be fair, Trevor's attitude is somewhat earned as well. His family were ostracized by Wallachia after fighting off the likes of Dracula, bar rubes sought to beat the crap out of him just for being a Belmont (those bastards deserved what they got) after he tried to avoid a fight, and the church is as monstrous and corrupt as the monsters it claims to be fighting. It's hard to blame Trevor for becoming a Knight in Sour Armor. And yet, he still manages to find decency within him, like fighting off those church goons harassing the defenseless monk, helping rescue Sypha from the catacombs (though he did act unnecessarily dickish to her afterward), stepping in to protect the monks from the church, and stepping up to help the town defend itself from the demons and other monsters after the church's colossal failure in doing so.

Personally, I just don't care for the sheer amount of gore and squickiness. That just makes it feel like any other "adult" anime film with copious amounts of blood. It's the gripping narrative that keeps me interested. Also, the writers dismissed Grant DaNasty's name as ridiculous, apparently not knowing that the House of Dănești was one of the two main lineages of the Wallachian noble family House of Basareb, the other being - wait for it - Drăculești.

I gotta say though, Simon Belmont in Smash Ultimate looks freaking cool. I love that they stuck with his original, more western design rather than that metrosexual leather fetishist from Judgment. Smash Belmont just might be one of the coolest-looking characters ever. He looks like he came right out of an 80s fantasy action figure line, something like D&D or He-Man. And his moveset looks fun too, I might end up maining him.

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Melee's Mushroom Kingdom is nothing like 64's, and we've seen that having the same name isn't an issue, so there's no reason for this to be left out.

Rumble Falls wasn't popular, but plenty of returning stages weren't (Hanenbow, Mario Bros., etc.). This game introduced ladder attacks and ladders were a big part of Rumble Falls, so I'd actually be surprised if this one didn't return.

Melee Mushroom Kingdom is kind of the Dream Land to Green Greens is what I meant to say, as in similar in location and style but in a different layout. I still think adding it would be unnecessary, but I’m not a developer so we’ll see. 

Funnily enough, I love Hannenbow since it’s such a unique stage and pleasant to look at, and Mario Bros is a guilty pleasure for me. Plus I feel they’re more disliked by competively inclined people rather than unanimously reviled like Rumble Falls/Icicle Mountain. You have a decent point on the ladder attacks though. 

5 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Melee Mushroom Kingdom is kind of the Dream Land to Green Greens is what I meant to say, as in similar in location and style but in a different layout. I still think adding it would be unnecessary, but I’m not a developer so we’ll see.

Well, we are getting both Dream Land and Green Greens....

Now that we have a better idea of how this roster is shaping out, and since a few leaks were confirmed... I'm guessing we're still getting:

Brand new: Skull Kid, Incineroar (both rumoured by someone who leaked Simon and Ridley if I understand correctly, and apparently fit into the villains theme), Elma (long rumoured), and Heihachi.

Echoes: Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, Dixie, Impa.

DLC: Rex and Pyra, Malos (echo), Spring Man, Ribbon Girl (echo?), Octoling (echo), a new Pokemon for gen 8.

My top hopes right now are Xenoblade newcomers, and I would love if Impa makes it and Skull Kid turns out to be true. Also Isaac has not been seen as an AT yet and he definitely did well on the ballot, so... I don't wanna say that means anything since he was cut entirely before but maybe Sakurai will notice him this time...

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Now that we have a better idea of how this roster is shaping out, and since a few leaks were confirmed... I'm guessing we're still getting:

Brand new: Skull Kid, Incineroar (both rumoured by someone who leaked Simon and Ridley if I understand correctly, and apparently fit into the villains theme), Elma (long rumoured), and Heihachi.

Echoes: Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, Dixie, Impa.

DLC: Rex and Pyra, Malos (echo), Spring Man, Ribbon Girl (echo?), Octoling (echo), a new Pokemon for gen 8.

My top hopes right now are Xenoblade newcomers, and I would love if Impa makes it and Skull Kid turns out to be true. Also Isaac has not been seen as an AT yet and he definitely did well on the ballot, so... I don't wanna say that means anything since he was cut entirely before but maybe Sakurai will notice him this time...

What my hope is with Isaac is if he shows up that Felix comes with him like Richter did with Simon.

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

Dixie Kong and Ken do seem to be obvious picks

You think they'll make an echo fighter for Robin?

I'm not sure if echo fighters for Robin and Corrin are even necessary. As avatars, their appearance and gender are up to the player, meaning that in a sense, Robin is the echo fighter of Robin, and it would be just as effective to include additional facial features and hairstyles in their costume selection.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Can anyone who's analyzed these trailers to hell and back tell me what are the significant differences between Peach/Daisy and Simon/Richter?

There’s some reports that Richter is faster and seems to have a whip tipper mechanic.

Which would make sense since in Rondo of Blood there is a trick that Richter can do to extend the whip briefly. Might be a nod to it.

11 hours ago, Jedi said:

I am of the opposite opinion.

I love the portrayal of Dracula; I found that it added so much depth to his character and made him so sympathetic (to me) that I find it difficult to root for the protagonists for no other reason than that they oppose this intelligent, romantic, misunderstood monster. 

I love the hard line that they take against organized religion.

I like Trevor. I do not find him insufferable. I find his apathy an understandable and appropriate response to the state of his country, and this is counter-balanced by a desire to help those whom he has determined to deserve it.

I do agree that the music could use work. That should be fixed in future episodes.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

random question, can you swim on the Great Bay stage? ik they added it for Tortimer Island, so i'm hoping they add it for Great Bay too

Swimming has been a mechanic since Brawl. So yeah, you'll be able to swim on Great Bay.

So, recall how weirdly early the direct was at 7 A.M. P.T.? Well, given the beginning trailer...

"The morning sun has vanquished this horrible night."

Honestly, I just find that hilarious.

Edited by Dai
Stupid post deleted the most important part of itself.

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

Dixie Kong and Ken do seem to be obvious picks

You think they'll make an echo fighter for Robin?

I don't expect any more FE characters, personally, not even echoes.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

What my hope is with Isaac is if he shows up that Felix comes with him like Richter did with Simon.

I would cry so many tears of joy seeing a trailer with Isaac and Felix on Venus Lighthouse. I've wanted that in Smash for years.

2 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I don't expect any more FE characters, personally, not even echoes.

I expect one more, who it is I have no clue.

I just expect another, a gut feeling more than anything else.

Hmmm

gvPNPfs.jpg

DkKlMvEXcAcw16t.jpg

The second image is a different Dracula's Castle than the first one. And then there's the Monster Hunter stage

DkKlOzhWsAUjKuG.jpg

Same deal, flat stage with a boss and runoffs. Guys, i think this may hint at a story/adventure mode. 

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hmmm

gvPNPfs.jpg

DkKlMvEXcAcw16t.jpg

The second image is a different Dracula's Castle than the first one. And then there's the Monster Hunter stage

DkKlOzhWsAUjKuG.jpg

Same deal, flat stage with a boss and runoffs. Guys, i think this may hint at a story/adventure mode. 

That's possible. Another possibility, particularly for Dracula, is that the game may randomly load a different version of the stage with him on it.

Edit: since the Dracula's castle stage is clearly based on the area that's usually right before the Dracula fight, it could be the boss area loads to the left of the main stage.

There could also just be a boss battles mode. There's enough stage bosses to fill that out, I think.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Can anyone who's analyzed these trailers to hell and back tell me what are the significant differences between Peach/Daisy and Simon/Richter?

The direct does say that there's no gameplay difference between Simon and Richter, it's purely an aesthetic thing, I'm not sure they'd mislead us on that

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Hmmm

I could definitely see them going all in on bosses and villains from different games if that's the idea. I'd argue it slightly improves the chances of seeing characters like Black Knight, Medusa, or Robotnik pop in either as playable or as a boss.

Dracula and Rathalos are also a lot more aggressive and difficult to avoid than previous "boss hazards" like Yellow Devil and Metal Face. I definitely think it's foreshadowing an adventure mode, or at least a boss battles mode.

That or the final battle of Classic Mode isn't always Master Hand, and changes based on fighter chosen.