Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

This made me laugh, since most people react this way when they see something that they think is "good."

The sad thing is that this is literal. Hell, I saw an argument that said “he’s designed as a party game character for a competitive fighting game.” Like...I get it, but seriously, it’s been like two days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been recent rumors of a Nintendo Direct in September. Do you think we might see Banjo’s release date and some more gameplay?

EDIT: Also, a 4chan leak surfaced mentioning a “female character with no demand”. Coincidentally, an Overwatch Switch cased was also leaked, but removed instantly.

Edited by Perkilator

22 hours ago, Perkilator said:

EDIT: Also, a 4chan leak surfaced mentioning a “female character with no demand”. Coincidentally, an Overwatch Switch cased was also leaked, but removed instantly.

If you're implying that an Overwatch character like Tracer is coming to Smash Bros. I highly doubt it. That's not saying Overwatch isn't an industry phenomenon because it definitely is one, but since Smash Bros. clearly favors Japanese games I don't think Overwatch has enough going for it to make an exception. Banjo-Kazooie makes a lot more sense as a western IP in Smash Bros. since Rareware made all of the old Donkey Kong Country games and the characters fit in with the likes of Mario, Kirby, and Pokemon really well. Blizzard has almost no relevance to Nintendo outside of the recent Diablo port so letting them have a character slot in Smash Bros. just doesn't make any sense.

And Persona deserved representation in Smash because...?

Activision Blizzard also brought the Crash and Spyro trilogies over to Nintendo, as well as CTRNF. That said, Crash and Spyro are higher priority picks for me than Tracer.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:32 PM, Lord_Brand said:

And Persona deserved representation in Smash because...?

Sega have a good relationship with Nintendo, and a Persona character would be the least cancerous Sega rep possible.

Oh, and don't even bother arguing that Joker isn't a Sega character. Sega owns Atlus, and thus Persona. Also, Persona is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei, of which, all the mainline games have appeared on Nintendo consoles.

TERRY BOGARD LET'S FREAKING GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also we're getting more DLC beyond the fighter's pass huh? Darn it Nintendo! My wallet can't handle this! Also we desperately need Sakurai to take a vacation already, that man has given so much of his life to this series and he's earned the right to a little bit of rest about a hundred times over.

Heh heh, someone's gotten really good at making in-game screenshots with their own models. Look at the authenticity of that Sans!

...wait what do you mean that's an actual Mii Gunner costume? With a remix of Megalovania? WAIT MY MONEY-

Never heard of this Terry character or his game. His game looks like a Street Fighter ripoff, actually.

BUT ANOTHER WAVE OF CHARACTERS IS COMING OMG!! THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR DIXIE KONG AND REX AND PYRA!

Sakurai said before that the timing was bad for Rex, but that was for the initial lineup and first wave. The timing is fine for the second!

Edited by Anacybele

There are so many more interesting SNK characters than Terry, but no, he's the main face of the company, so he had to take priority. Ugh.

Sausage fest DLC. Glad I didn't buy the pass. I have little hope the second wave will be any better.

58 minutes ago, Florete said:

There are so many more interesting SNK characters than Terry, but no, he's the main face of the company, so he had to take priority. Ugh.

Sausage fest DLC. Glad I didn't buy the pass. I have little hope the second wave will be any better.

Alas, Smash abides by its rules. It must be the main character of something, other characters can only get in secondary slots. And only first/second party franchises of sufficient popularity have the luxury of multiple character slots.

But, they were a little lazy with DQ Hero here, since DQIII's has a female version that looks not that different from the male, but they haven't included it, right?

As a sad fact of gaming, major franchises are usually represented by male characters. Or at least they have been.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't Kyo or Iori. I mean when was the last time Fatal Fury even got a new entry? Athena would have been fun to see too but I don't believe she even appeared in the trailer.

B&K have been real fun though and I'm loving the new megalovania remix.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Never heard of this Terry character or his game. His game looks like a Street Fighter ripoff, actually.

...you don't know much about traditional fighting games, do you? Because calling it a "Street Fighter ripoff" is equivalent to calling a lot of fighting games "ripoffs" and is a good way to tick off general fighting-game fans. Many fighting games are 1 v 1 side-scrollers with button combinations and stick-tilting maneuvers, as is typical of the genre.

That said, SNK and Capcom did have a series of crossover fight games, and Terry was in them and could fight Ryu.

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

...you don't know much about traditional fighting games, do you? Because calling it a "Street Fighter ripoff" is equivalent to calling a lot of fighting games "ripoffs" and is a good way to tick off general fighting-game fans. Many fighting games are 1 v 1 side-scrollers with button combinations and stick-tilting maneuvers, as is typical of the genre.

That said, SNK and Capcom did have a series of crossover fight games, and Terry was in them and could fight Ryu.

No, I do. I've played a few. Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, just to name some. But I don't think they're similar to Street Fighter. This game Terry's from though, the characters shown right away in the trailer reminded me of Ryu and Ken.

That’s great that these retro characters are getting remembrance, but I’m hoping that characters from newer games get a chance. I find it more relatable since I was born 2000s and these characters are completely unknown to me. I wonder what are chances of Byleth making it in?

27 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

That’s great that these retro characters are getting remembrance, but I’m hoping that characters from newer games get a chance. I find it more relatable since I was born 2000s and these characters are completely unknown to me. I wonder what are chances of Byleth making it in?

Probably really high. We've gotten a new FE character every installment and Sakurai is apparently an FE fan so Byleth seems likely. Though I'm hoping we'll get one of the other three lords instead at least to avoid the "too many swords" hate.

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, I do. I've played a few. Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, just to name some. But I don't think they're similar to Street Fighter. This game Terry's from though, the characters shown right away in the trailer reminded me of Ryu and Ken.

I mean, gi outfits similar to Ryu and Ken's often show up in fighting games for characters since they are...well, outfits fitting for Japanese-style fighting. Not enough to warrant blindly calling a game a ripoff, especially since Fatal Fury 1 was released the same year as Street Fighter 2. And Terry, the face of the series, doesn't even dress like someone who would remind you of Ryu or Ken, so that'd be weird for a "ripoff".

8 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Probably really high. We've gotten a new FE character every installment and Sakurai is apparently an FE fan so Byleth seems likely. Though I'm hoping we'll get one of the other three lords instead at least to avoid the "too many swords" hate.

I'm not sure going with one of three lords would go over well. I feel like they're a trio that should show up as a trio, and I don't think they'll get into Smash because of that. Byleth, as much as they're another swordfighter, makes the most sense.

3 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I'm not sure going with one of three lords would go over well. I feel like they're a trio that should show up as a trio, and I don't think they'll get into Smash because of that. Byleth, as much as they're another swordfighter, makes the most sense. 

Alternate outfits maybe? They could have a moveset that incorporates axe, lance, and bow, and have the lords share a slot. It wouldn't even be strange since they can all use those weapons.

29 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I mean, gi outfits similar to Ryu and Ken's often show up in fighting games for characters since they are...well, outfits fitting for Japanese-style fighting. Not enough to warrant blindly calling a game a ripoff, especially since Fatal Fury 1 was released the same year as Street Fighter 2. And Terry, the face of the series, doesn't even dress like someone who would remind you of Ryu or Ken, so that'd be weird for a "ripoff".

True about the Japanese outfits, yeah. And I guess I've just happened to not see the specific games you're referring to.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Eh, you could say the same thing about Pokemon starters, yet we have Greninja and Incineroar.

In fact, when you think about it, picking your house leader is a lot like picking your starter Pokemon.