Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

13 hours ago, Jedi said:

ProtonJon did a history of SNK stream he's planning on a 2nd but this one is 4 hours long just warning. 

Don't forget to warn them about the eggs, Wesker, and the art block among the other stupid memes we have in that community. Especially the art block, full of the most hilarious ridiculousness you can find. 😛

Might need to give that a watch; I missed 3 hours of it when it went live, and I can't seem to find a complete/good King of Fighters retrospective on YT.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

🤣At a Gundam on Japan's list. Which one would they pick? I'm none familiar with Gundam, but given he appears a lot I think in the SRWs, whatevs that Char guy pilots? And I'll assume that Arle girl is Puyo Pop?

Lloyd and not Yuri, is Best Tales Protag's appeal mostly a Western thing? Or does it have to do with ToS being first released on the GameCube?

Sora ranks highly everywhere, KH fans must be really devoted online. But given SE's stinginess as is, would Nomura ever loan his baby at the center of an esoteric universe?

Dante being so high on the Japanese list, a little surprising given he looks "Western". Though having played SMT: Nocturne, I have a hint of familiarity with DMC boy.

Europe's list mirrors US, but why a Digimon and why Rayman?

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I'll assume that Arle girl is Puyo Pop?

Yeah, she's the main character of the Puyo Puyo series (Puyo Pop is the name of one specific game in the series on the GBA). Puyo Puyo is like, THE puzzle game in Japan, with competitive tournaments done frequently, which is why she's always been a relatively popular pick for Smash in Japan.

Puyo Puyo is similar to Fire Emblem pre-DS in the sense that most games in the series never got localized (because back then during the 90s gaming executives were convinced those cool American kids didn't want to play a game where the main character was a cute anime girl). Some games were localized, while others were reskinned (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche were originally Puyo Puyo games), but lately Sega has been pushing the series on the West (There are currently three Puyo games available to play on Switch, plus Super Puyo Puyo 2 as the sole import on the SNES Switch App), so the support for Arle has been sort of revitalized.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

🤣At a Gundam on Japan's list. Which one would they pick? I'm none familiar with Gundam, but given he appears a lot I think in the SRWs, whatevs that Char guy pilots?

If they were to really add a Gundam (which I doubt, personally), it's likely to be the iconic one: Amuro's RX-78-2. The very first one. Or the RX-93 ν, being his "ultimate" (not counting the RX-93-v2 Hi-ν variant).

One of Char's suits would be prime candidate for AT material (though, again, I doubt MSG is ever getting in... maybe). His iconic Red MS-06 Zaku II custom. Or the MSN-04 Sazabi.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Digimon and Rayman are both quite popular over there in Europe. Rayman being French made probably also helps in his favor.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

🤣At a Gundam on Japan's list. Which one would they pick? I'm none familiar with Gundam, but given he appears a lot I think in the SRWs, whatevs that Char guy pilots? And I'll assume that Arle girl is Puyo Pop?

Lloyd and not Yuri, is Best Tales Protag's appeal mostly a Western thing? Or does it have to do with ToS being first released on the GameCube?

Sora ranks highly everywhere, KH fans must be really devoted online. But given SE's stinginess as is, would Nomura ever loan his baby at the center of an esoteric universe?

Dante being so high on the Japanese list, a little surprising given he looks "Western". Though having played SMT: Nocturne, I have a hint of familiarity with DMC boy.

Sora also requires some dealings with Disney to get a hold of too, who are even more notoriously stingy than Square.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Sora also requires some dealings with Disney to get a hold of too, who are even more notoriously stingy than Square.

I'm not familiar with the legalities of KH, but would it be possible to split the baby? To have Sora, but devoid of Disney references? To have original KH things and FF things alone? So basically Anti-KHIII Sora? So no Keyblades that look very Disney-inspired, no moves that have Disney in them, a stage from one of the OC locations, and all the Spirits from KH end up being KRN, TVA, and people from Organization Waaaayyy Too Many Members And We Need More of Them to Die Forever Never to Return + other OCs.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not familiar with the legalities of KH, but would it be possible to split the baby? To have Sora, but devoid of Disney references? To have original KH things and FF things alone? So basically Anti-KHIII Sora? So no Keyblades that look very Disney-inspired, no moves that have Disney in them, a stage from one of the OC locations, and all the Spirits from KH end up being KRN, TVA, and people from Organization Waaaayyy Too Many Members And We Need More of Them to Die Forever Never to Return + other OCs.

No, because Sora is not a character owned by Square. He is, as far as can be gathered, co owned by both companies. If Square wants to use Sora for anything, Disney's name must be included. There's even a very obscure Kingdom Hearts game not made or published by Square at all.

https://kingdomhearts.fandom.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What Jotari said, and also can you possibly put Sora into Smash without Donald and Goofy being so much as referenced?

24 minutes ago, Florete said:

What Jotari said, and also can you possibly put Sora into Smash without Donald and Goofy being so much as referenced?

I have to agree. The essence of KH is Disney. The Final Fantasy stuff is frankly window dressing. 

Sora without Disney is just a bad SE character. He isn't Sora without Disney.

9 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Has anyone got any tips for the Gruntilda spirit battle (apart from 'Get Good')? I keep getting utterly destroyed.

Just bring your strongest Spirit possible (preferably with one that grants poison immunity) and attack without hesitation; use a Final Smash ASAP if you have to. This certainly makes the battle easier compared to other Legend Spirits.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

What; Byleth but no Edelgard?

Probably because the former 1) is always a central character regardless and 2) lacks controversy that the latter has.

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Just bring your strongest Spirit possible (preferably with one that grants poison immunity) and attack without hesitation; use a Final Smash ASAP if you have to. This certainly makes the battle easier compared to other Legend Spirits.

Where am I getting this Final Smash from, exactly? And I'm already using Spring Man + Madame Butterfly.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Silverly said:

Probably because the former 1) is always a central character regardless and 2) lacks controversy that the latter has.

1) True. However, Edelgard is pretty much the unofficial mascot of Three Houses; getting more time in the trailers than even Byleth. 

2) What controversy? I have yet to play Three Houses as don't yet have a Switch. No spoilers, please. 

Found this article on how the technical side of Smash is handled: processing, graphics, stages, character aesthetics- those kinds of things.:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/09/super-smash-bros-ultimate-cedec-talk-reveals-unused-battlefields-original-game-size-and-more/

The thing I found most interesting from the article is this:

"Early in development, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was a total of 60GB, while thanks to their methods of reducing filesize, the game became only 15GB by Version 4.0.0."

Bandai Namcompression! Shrinking a game by 3/4s in size. That is seriously efficient.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:55 AM, NoirCore said:

Don't forget to warn them about the eggs, Wesker, and the art block among the other stupid memes we have in that community. Especially the art block, full of the most hilarious ridiculousness you can find. 😛

Might need to give that a watch; I missed 3 hours of it when it went live, and I can't seem to find a complete/good King of Fighters retrospective on YT.

Forgot to warn 😛 

Also you can always check Tv Tropes character pages on the KoF people, good place to start, plus Terry Bogard is their patron god of Engrish.