Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I honestly think its up in the air whether it be Rex or Elma. 

There are things going for both of them and things holding them back.

Elma indeed comes from the title that sold less and has less of a connection to the first chronicles. But its that exact lack of a connection that might be in Elma's favor. Rex would represent the Xenoblade Chronicle series which Shulk already does but Elma could represent the X subseries. On the other hand Xenoblade X seems to have been a little controversial for straying too far from Xenoblade Chronicles. 

But its not like Xenoblade II wasn't controversial either. It taking a far more anime route turned a lot of people off. Rex himself is pretty decisive for a main character as well thanks to his goofy outfit and ''bad'' voice acting. As a character he probably has far more detractors than Elma which might be something in Elma's favor. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I GOT BINGO GUYS! WHAT DO I WIN?!

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo 11/1/18

The Grinch Leak is Real

More Assist Pokemon

More Stages

Elma

All-Star Mode

Incineroar

Adventure/Story Mode

Sakurai Trolls Us

Isaac

More Characters Die

Ken

Downloadable Demo

Free Space

More Assist Trophies

Fans Complain About Waluigi

Smash Run

N64 Smash Bros on Eshop

Shadow The Hedgehog

More Music

Fire Emblem Character

More Items

Break The Targets

Trophy Gallery

The Grinch Leak is Fake

Shantae

I love that you got that bingo thanks to Shantae's out-of-nowhere cameo at the end.

Totally maining Piranha Plant. I will power her up with the spirits of her haters' salty tears.

Ken and Incineroar were expected. I'm okay with them. The Black Knight and Tiki being Assist Trophies is fine. I'm okay with that. Spirit Mode could be a neat story, I'm not entirely sold but I have some optimism.

But...Piranha Plant? No trophies? Target Break? I just...huh?

Hopefully those five DLC characters are worth it. Hopefully they upgrade some Assist Trophies because some characters got SERIOUSLY screwed.

Looks like a few playable characters have Spirits as well, including King K Rool (with his Kaptain hat), young Samus (Other M), and Wooly Yoshi

Anyway, here's a list of FE Spirits seen so far:

• Wrys
  • Young Alm & Celica
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Eliwood
  • Nino
  • Eirika
  • Ephraim
  • Titania
  • Micaiah
  • Sothe
  • Lon'qu
  • Tharja
  • Owain
  • Severa
  • Azura
  • Camilla
  • Leo
  • Elise
  • Hinoka
  • Takumi
Edited by Johann

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

So, does Piranha plant constitute one of our 5 dlc fighters or is he just a free preorder extra?

Free pre-order extra. The speculation game starts anew with these 5

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Looks like a few playable characters have Spirits as well, including King K Rool (with his Kaptain hat), young Samus (Other M), and Wooly Yoshi

Anyway, here's a list of FE Spirits seen so far:

• Wrys
  • Young Alm & Celica
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Eliwood
  • Nino
  • Eirika
  • Ephraim
  • Titania
  • Micaiah
  • Sothe
  • Owain
  • Severa
  • Tharja
  • Camilla
  • Elise
  • Hinoka
  • Takumi

Also Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was there, if you're willing to count her. (Really happy that game was even acknowledged).

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

So, does Piranha plant constitute one of our 5 dlc fighters or is he just a free preorder extra?

I don't think she's one of the DLC 5. Sakurai stated that they haven't started developing the DLC characters, and PP looks nearly finished for an early 2019 release.

13 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Dissappointed that Rex has effectively been killed behind the shed, but the fact the Box Leak won out in the end almost makes up for it,

Regarding everything that was said about Rex and DLC

By way, here's one purchase bonus you'll get with the fighter's pass. It's a mii swordfight costume based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started. I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex. We're also including some music from the Xenoblade Chronicles series. Give it a listen at Guar Plains some time. Other Xenoblade Chronicles characters will also appear as spirits. We've yet to create any of the paid DLC and haven't locked down any release dates, but we'll start working on them as soon as we're finished with the main game. It may take a year or so to finish releasing all the DLC.

Rex is deconfirmed for the base game. Nothing that was said in the direct discounts him as DLC. They haven't even started making the DLC yet, so the comment about Xenoblade's announcement in regards to Smash is based purely on his lack of inclusion in the base game.

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm going to lean on no, since they said they haven't started making any of the paid DLC (said while overlaying a picture of the five bundles). That being said, I imagine Piranha Plant will be a paid DLC download for people who don't preorder the game. Would kind of suck if you just plain couldn't get a character because you bought it after release.

29 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

PIRANHA PLANT IS A CHARACTER YES THIS IS MY NEW MAIN

27 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

-Fistbump-

26 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

YUS

Allow me to join you, my comrades. 

Really hoping Pirahna Plant ends up high tier at least.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I honestly wonder if Malos will come in as DLC as a Skulk Echo? 

Sakurai said none of the DLC characters will be Echoes

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Also Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was there, if you're willing to count her. (Really happy that game was even acknowledged).

I'm completely unfamiliar with those characters so yeah, I missed them. I did spot a few others on the website though.

This is it, our final direct. Let's see just how crazy it is. I was late because I had something today after all, but not spoiled. I also avoided the leaks, so let's go.

Spoiler

I have no signal here, so really bad quality let's go!

Ice Climbers get a nuts Final Smash. So we start in the boxing ring, with Ken (Pretty obvious, but nice anyway), about how you'd expect. Also Little Mac died. Then someone on fire shows up and it's Incineroar- FUCK IT I HATE IT REMOVE IT NO WE CAN'T GET SCEPTILE IN 4 BUT THIS SHIT'S OKAY.? I don't care what happens to it, it should go away. Is that the end? That would be a shit final addition. AND IT IS I HATE EVERYTHING.

Amiibos also are a thing. Now we get spirits, which give boosts to fighter?  They're also supposed to be a lot of them (INCLUDING HINOKA. SMASH CARES MORE THAN FATES DID.) The spirits work in different levels, which is neat, like Vulpix and Elise are a support while the legendary birds are a primary. So this explains Spirit mode and confirms Sakurai is not bothering with story mode. Mimikyu is a spirit possessing Pikachu, neat. Michiah and Sigurd are also spirits (Fitting, more so than Skarmory. :P)

As for online, the ever present "Please understand" happens, 

Back to assist trophies, Shadow's in, Fatal Frame got one, Issac (It's something I guess), BK (Makes sense), Thwomp (Neat), Arms Guy (Really, no fighter?), the worst Wiley boss, A!Tiki (Wow, that fire's neat), Guile (Huh.) alongside other I didn't react to.

Also DLC is confirmed. 5 fighters total, but no confirmation though there's a costume in the Fighter Pass (Season Pass). There's also a pre-order bonus? Really? A pre-order fighter? REALLY? ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Piranha Plant is a Fighter, though it's likely DLC fighter. Also, there's a story.... maybe? Bunch of hands are in it, while there's also a bit oif fun as everyone tries not to be eradicated, all failing of course except for Kirby (of course). Kirby is the protagonist now boys. Shantae's also a spirit (sad days guys).

TLDR: ONE OF THE WORST FAN FAVOURITE POKEMON (WHY IS IT POPULAR) IS IN FUCK EVERY DAMM THING. Everything else was understandable besides Piranha Plant. Also maybe story? Regardless, Kirby is the hero we all deserve.

Seriously fuck Incineroar.

30 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

PIRANHA PLANT IS A CHARACTER YES THIS IS MY NEW MAIN

28 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

-Fistbump-

Oh, Oh, can I join the Plant Gang?

I said it before, but I will love it and protect it!

We will make Audrey II proud!

9 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I honestly wonder if Malos will come in as DLC as a Skulk Echo? 

Unfortunately Malos missed his chance. Aside from none of them being Echoes like Armagon said it was also said that each DLC pack would consist of 1 character, one stage and some songs. Malos getting in as an echo along with Rex in the main game would have been possible but for Malos to be DLC he has to come out ahead over Rex and Elma which probably isn't happening. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Unfortunately Malos missed his chance. Aside from none of them being Echoes like Armagon said it was also said that each DLC pack would consist of 1 character, one stage and some songs. Malos getting in as an echo along with Rex in the main game would have been possible but for Malos to be DLC he has to come out ahead over Rex and Elma which probably isn't happening. 

Might be overly optimistic here, but they could end up changing their mind. It's not like they said "NO ECHOES ALLOWED." They said there would be five new unique fighters and each bundle would come with a stage and music. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility for them to later add an Echo to one or two of the bundles on top of the new character. They haven't started to actually make any of this content yet, so the doors of possibility are open. If they some how run ahead of schedule and have some time to develop an Echo it could happen...I mean...it's not altogether likely, but it is possible. I can hope.

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Rex is deconfirmed for the base game. Nothing that was said in the direct discounts him as DLC. They haven't even started making the DLC yet, so the comment about Xenoblade's announcement in regards to Smash is based purely on his lack of inclusion in the base game.

I think Sakurai did said in the Direct that he won't be coming when he showed off the Rex costume, I think he could be too new. I haven't seen Elma not the Avatar from Xenoblade Chronicles X were shown in Spirits, I'm pretty sure we could get Elma (or Avatar) as DLC instead. Also, I'm betting we could see Alm, Celica, or one of the upcoming Three Houses protagonist as DLC.

I think Spring Man was the fourth non-playable character that was dubuted from Nintendo Switch console (first three were the band from New Donk City) in Ultimate. I do think one of the Nintendo Switch debut characters as DLC will be possibly be only one in the DLC roster since Nintendo Switch is still too new.

Edited by King Marth 64

7 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think Sakurai did said in the Direct that he won't be coming when he showed off the Rex costume, I think he could be too new. I haven't seen Elma not the Avatar from Xenoblade Chronicles X were shown in Spirits, I'm pretty sure we could get Elma (or Avatar) as DLC instead. Also, I'm betting we could see Alm, Celica, or one of the upcoming Three Houses protagonist as DLC.

He was too new to get into the base game. They haven't started making the DLC yet, he's not too new for something that hasn't started yet, and he's certainly older than anything from Three Houses. I'll quote again with stress.

By way, here's one purchase bonus you'll get with the fighter's pass. It's a mii swordfight costume based on Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning was started. I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex. We're also including some music from the Xenoblade Chronicles series. Give it a listen at Guar Plains some time. Other Xenoblade Chronicles characters will also appear as spirits. We've yet to create any of the paid DLC and haven't locked down any release dates, but we'll start working on them as soon as we're finished with the main game. It may take a year or so to finish releasing all the DLC.

The first statement only relates to the base game. It doesn't make sense for them to say they can't add Rex because Xenoblade 2 is too new a game when they haven't even started production of the (paid) DLC characters yet.

Edited by Jotari

Rex should be considered deconfirmed entirely. While they haven't started making it, they've likely already decided who the DLC fighters are. They wouldn't give us a Rex costume only to later add him as a full newcomer.

I don't mind the remaining characters or that the Grinch leak was fake, but it's a shame that Rhythm Heaven fans got baited twice. Hopefully Rex being a Mii Costume doesn't mean he can't be added later. Or they'll add solo Pyra/Mythra instead.

Piranha Plant is fine, I guess, but personally I would've preferred Petey Piranha specifically instead. He would've been the character I never knew I wanted.

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not sure if it's been pointed out but Rena Strober is confirmed to have sung the new Lifelight song that played during that adventure mode segment in the Direct.

Nice to see that Azura got to be in Smash after all.