Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Rex should be considered deconfirmed entirely. While they haven't started making it, they've likely already decided who the DLC fighters are. They wouldn't give us a Rex costume only to later add him as a full newcomer.

This is what I got out of the Rex costume.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

Rex should be considered deconfirmed entirely. While they haven't started making it, they've likely already decided who the DLC fighters are. They wouldn't give us a Rex costume only to later add him as a full newcomer.

They gave us Inkling costumes even though they're playable characters.

Edited by Jotari

15 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Those dlc plans seem pretty sparse, tbh. 5 fighters is less dlc than 4 got. 

I'm hoping that we can get echo packs or other character-only packs later.

From how Sakurai worded it, Ken is the last echo period.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Those were for the Splatoon 2 Inklings specifically.  The playable Inklings are the ones from the original Splatoon.

Well that's like saying Salvager Rex is unplayable, but Master Blade Rex is still possible. Besides, a bunch of characters appeared in SSB4 as both costumes and characters. Fox, Falcon, Samus, Link, etc. Not sure if they're in Ultimate because I don't really care about Mii Costumes, but it shows that a costume is not considered a replacement for a fighter. I'm not saying Rex is definitely going to be DLC, but him having a costume doesn't make him impossible in the slightest.

So now that we now know the entire base roster, I'm going to change the poll to ask which newcomer you're most looking forward to. Anyone who said there would be four more unique newcomers after Inkling and Ridley can now get bragging rights (Piranha Plant isn't in the base game so they don't count).

Polls are weird so it will show the results from the previous poll unless you revote.

Edited by Lightchao42

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well that's like saying Salvager Rex is unplayable, but Master Blade Rex is still possible. Besides, a bunch of characters appeared in SSB4 as both costumes and characters. Fox, Falcon, Samus, Link, etc. Not sure if they're in Ultimate because I don't really care about Mii Costumes, but it shows that a costume is not considered a replacement for a fighter. I'm not saying Rex is definitely going to be DLC, but him having a costume doesn't make him impossible in the slightest.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fox, Falcon, Samus, Link, etc. are series veterans. Never have we seen a Mii costume before the character became playable (within the same game). The Splatoon 2 Inklings are different from the Splatoon 1 Inklings. We've even seen the Splatoon 1 Octoling and Splatoon 2 Octolings/Agent 8 as separate spirits.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fox, Falcon, Samus, Link, etc. are series veterans. Never have we seen a Mii costume before the character became playable (within the same game). The Splatoon 2 Inklings are different from the Splatoon 1 Inklings. We've even seen the Splatoon 1 Octoling and Splatoon 2 Octolings/Agent 8 as separate spirits.

I'm not setting myself up for disappointment because I don't actually care if Rex gets in the game. Whether the characters are veterans or not is irrelevant. The point is, there's nothing preventing Rex from being released as DLC. If they want to release him as DLC they can. It's not like there's a contract saying "Whoops, we already made him a costume so now we can't make him a character." Maybe there are five characters they feel are more interesting and deserving than Rex and they added him as a costume as a consolation prize. Or, maybe they are planning to add him as a character and the costume is just to tide over his fans until he gets here late next year. I consider either scenario possible, and considering Xenoblade 2 is one of the best selling Switch games, I find the latter slightly more likely.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'm not setting myself up for disappointment because I don't actually care if Rex gets in the game. Whether the characters are veterans or not is irrelevant. The point is, there's nothing preventing Rex from being released as DLC. If they want to release him as DLC they can. It's not like there's a contract saying "Whoops, we already made him a costume so now we can't make him a character." Maybe there are five characters they feel are more interesting and deserving than Rex and they added him as a costume as a consolation prize. Or, maybe they are planning to add him as a character and the costume is just to tide over his fans until he gets here late next year. I consider either scenario possible, and considering Xenoblade 2 is one of the best selling Switch games, I find the latter slightly more likely.

I mean, you're not wrong. Right now, anyway, given current information. But it's extremely unlikely that things will go this way. People said the same about Inklings and K. Rool in Smash 4 and we all know how that turned out.

Here's something I'm wondering about Rex. The reasoning for making him a Mii outfit instead of being playable is that Xenoblade 2 was released too late. But obviously that wouldn't be an issue for DLC unless all of it was decided when development started in 2015, which doesn't make much sense. Or he was somehow too late for DLC planning as well. Make of that what you will...

Also, remember how everyone thought Skull Kid would be playable because he apparently didn't come back as an Assist Trophy? It turns out he still is one. Final Fantasy is also the only third party series without an Assist Trophy, thank you Square Enix.

Edited by Lightchao42

52 minutes ago, Johann said:

Young Alm & Celica

Young Alm & Celica? Interesting. Also, no Hector that we've seen. Interesting indeed.

Still holding out hope for Lyn DLC.

14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So now that we now know the entire base roster, I'm going to change the poll to ask which newcomer you're most looking forward to. Anyone who said there would be four more unique newcomers after Inkling and Ridley can now get bragging rights (Piranha Plant isn't in the base game so they don't count).

Polls are weird so it will show the results from the previous poll unless you revote.

That's honestly super tough. Daisy was one of my most-wanted characters, but I think I'm looking forward to Chrom and Richter more. As for non-Echo characters, man, Simon and Incineroar are looking great.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

I mean, you're not wrong. Right now, anyway, given current information. But it's extremely unlikely that things will go this way. People said the same about Inklings and K. Rool in Smash 4 and we all know how that turned out.

Well that's all I'm saying. He's not confirmed, he's not deconfirmed, he's in limbo, just like he was yesterday (only now it's regarding DLC and not the base game). When it comes down to it though, five characters are getting in and off the top of my head I can't really think of five that are more likely than Rex. A Three Houses character is possible, wouldn't be the first game Fire Emblem's jumped the gun and got a character in before the game's release. An Octopath Traveler character could also serve as another Square Enix rep (a game I know absolutely nothing about other than it's selling reasonably well). Aside from that I'm at a bit of a loss as to who the DLC is without going into more major obscure territory or my own personal desires (Pig Beast Ganon, Celica and Baldur from Bayonetta would be in that category). The inclusion of spirits and so many assist trophies makes a lot of characters much less likely (I don't think a character will really appear as a spirit and a fighter if they're using the exact same design. Then again, I'm arguing the complete opposite to that in regards to costume and we've only seen a handful of spirits so far, so *shrug*). Rex seems like an obvious choice to me, but as we all know, Smash doesn't always go for the obvious choices. So who knows?

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

just wanted to share

Fountain of Dreams looks so sick

Hmm, maybe it’s video, but doesn’t Daisy seems slower than Peach?

Her Peach Bomber(in her case, Daisy Bomber) seems to be faster and longer though, but it’s likely weaker.

21 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Hard one for me because my actual answers are Chrom and Richter. I have no interest in Simon (because I hate Conan the Barbarian type characters), so Richter is the actual unique newcomer answer for me.

My poll answers were Ridley (the 'unique newcomer' that most appealed to me aside from Richter), and Richter (for the Echo).

5 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

one last thing, does anyone know if Roy is going to have an English VA?

Some people asked Ray Chase and he said that he can neither confirm or deconfirm it. That makes it very likely for him to have an english voice. And in an interview about Roy, he said that he did voice him for something in the future but he couldn’t say at the moment.

So it turns out that none of the new Xenoblade music is remixed (and by that, i mean the music from XC2). Good.

The Direct also showed just 11 Xenoblade songs but considering that 9 of them are from Smash 4, i'm pretty sure there's more to be unlocked.

30 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Also, remember how everyone thought Skull Kid would be playable because he apparently didn't come back as an Assist Trophy? It turns out he still is one. 

That hurts me immensely.

Okay, I've hashed out everything in my head and come to a verdict. I rate this Smash Direct a 7.4 out of 10. They just spent sooo much time talking about equippable Spirits before talking about the super cool mode where you get 'em. Flip those around and my rating would improve a whole point. And several minutes were spent going over the Help section, Tips, Languages, and did we need all of that? Feels like how in the 50 fact extravaganza some of the points were clearly filler or just weird attempts at a joke - I think for this Direct they really wanted to hit that 40 minute mark specifically in order to "outdo" the previous Smash Direct. I do think the content in the Direct is all pretty cool, but no downloadable demo is the biggest weakness. I've played the demo and I think a LOT of people (fans of the series specifically) need to experience how this game feels because it is very different in pacing and strategies. There are also missing modes and features I was hoping to return, but I'm just focused on the presentation for this rating and not things I personally wanted to see. What brings this Direct out of the territory of 5 out of 10 is easily Adventure Mode. What a surprise. The cutscene, the gameplay possibilities, saving your favorite characters. Now that I've seen it I feel like this is a vital mode for this game - and the major missing feature that sets it apart from at least the previous game.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Those dlc plans seem pretty sparse, tbh. 5 fighters is less dlc than 4 got. 

I'm hoping that we can get echo packs or other character-only packs later.

There were 4 actual new characters released as DLC for Smash 4 (Ryu, Corrin, Bayo, and Cloud), and 3 returning fighters (Roy, Mewtwo, Lucas), as well as 4 new stages and 4 remastered stages.

Compare with 5 new characters for Smash Ult, since no returning fighters can be included this time, and 5 stages.  Less overall, but more actual new stuff (admittedly, not by much).  This is ignoring Piranha Plant, as that's not part of the Fighter Pass.

Man, I gotta know what that Skill Tree is during the Event-ure Mode debut. Are those trees tied to the Spirits or for each individual character? It's gotta be the characters with how big they are. Just improving individual moves' power levels is really cool.

Edited by Glennstavos