Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

8 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Nah, we gotta branch out to other franchises. Shriekbat for Smash 6.

I know you're joking, but, if we really want more unexpected minion characters as Smash Fighters, here's my list of contenders

Legend of Zelda:

1. Deku Baba: semi-clone of Piranha Plant 
  2. Soldier: uses sword, throwing spears, bows, bombs, cannon (based on an unused design in A Link to the Past), and ball-and-chain. Their final smash would be either Chief Soldier or Darknut
  3. Octorok: not sure how the moveset would work, but the final smash would be transforming into a Big Octo from Wind Waker, sucking up opponents in a whirlpool and spitting them out.
  4. Bokoblin

My favourite of these four ideas is Soldier. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Edit: I joke, but representing Fire Emblem fighters as classes instead of characters, where every alternate costume is a different character, could potentially please a lot of people. 

I suggested this idea once, but for Fire Emblem Warriors.

17 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Incineroar is NOT the Red Cyclone. 

hrm, now that we've seen a lot of modes and menu options, it's odd to think we haven't seen much of actually moving through a menu organically. They would always cut directly to what they want to talk about. I'm just saying - we haven't yet seen Games&More. Vault is now a Main Menu option, so that's not in there. Judging from the last game, we could expect to see Classic Mode, Mob Smash (new name for Multi Man Smash), mii customization, Training mode and...? 

Oh no...

No no no, that's not okay.

So those options are Classic, Training, Mob Smash, Mii, and Amiibo. Where's Stadium? All Smash games have unlockable modes in the menu, but I can't see something like that being unlockable. Maybe unannounced modes were removed from the latest demo build but we're so close to release! The Website still promises there will be more on its Modes page, but I am officially worried. Furthermore, in the Challenges section of the Direct, the Sandbag spirit's unlock condition has nothing to do with Homerun Contest, while the trophy was always tied to the mode in previous games.

ohh...ohhhhh I'm starting to see it. I ragged on others for only caring about the characters, but I was the same way regarding modes. I'm fading...

I'd rather a red hear Simon. Only red heads in Smash are Bowser and Bowser Jr.

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I suggested this idea once, but for Fire Emblem Warriors.

I think anyone that played Warriors naturally came to this conclusion. It's blaringly obvious for that game in particular.

Edited by Jotari

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think anyone that played Warriors naturally came to this conclusion. It's blaringly obvious for that game in particular.

Really? Because I remember getting a ton of flak for suggesting generic class characters be reskinned clones with lesser movesets. Even by Warriors fans. Then again what character suggestions COULD you make that won't receive flak regarding those games?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd rather a red hear Simon. Only red heads in Smash are Bowser and Bowser Jr.

And Ganondorf. Interesting; all villains. You don't think maybe Nintendo has something against redheads, do you? (Just a joke question; as a redhead, I'm rather used to it being really rare in popular media. When I have a beard, I'm told I look like Ed Sheeran. When I'm cleanshaven, I'm told I look like Ron Weasley, and I strongly suspect that it's because those are the only two male redheads people can think of.)

I screengrabbed a few FE-related images from a stream with Sakurai, which I'll spoiler in case people don't wanna see it

Spoiler

Spirit Battle against Young Alm & Celica (or rather, two Villagers) on Skyloft:

spirits-almcelica.jpg.787c8e1636c56e0d61e03567d53543be.jpg

Spirit Battle against that girl from TMS:#FE (I don't know her name, sorry)-- Inkling fights in her place

spirits-tmsgirl.jpg.b1093a7872681df1915358190d434277.jpg

Minerva has a Spirit Battle as well, but they didn't show any details

spirits-minerva.jpg.540fb1e90d51dba34d2e09e1192f700d.jpg

Anna Spirit silhouette seen from the main Spirits menu, maybe she'll appear as a fight or one of the menu NPCs?

spirits-annamenu.jpg.9ea965f551a29008d74e94e3757e2c6e.jpg

Chrom's Mii outfit is back. Guess they didn't want to let it go to waste

smash-chromoutfitshop.jpg.1f852b921c249f1c5ee6f43d3706e830.jpg

Also the (roughly/directly translated) names of the Classic Mode paths for two FE characters:

Spoiler
  • Ike - Jet Black Warriors: seems like he's lined up for a showdown with the Black Knight
  • Corrin - Between Black and White: Fates stuff, probably setting them up against characters who represent the siblings (Xanderdorf?)

Here's the stream itself, which has lots to see:

8 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Actually some people in Spain said he has an English voice.

There's been more info since I posted that; namely, this clip.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1058360368102326272/pu/vid/720x1280/NCkCicp5y8d1Sia-.mp4?tag=5

You can hear some grunts that aren't from any of the other characters heard in the video; seems like Roy is dubbed but he's still doing hotblooded yells very similar to how he is in Japanese, which is throwing people off.

Anyways, new Mii Fighter costume spotted:
DrDwlzpVAAAJbiX.png

Edited by The DanMan

Speaking of Classic Mode, we already know that its tailored for each character but it seems more in-depth than I expected.

As shown in this GameXplain overview, all of Ryu's matches are Stamina battles on Omega stages. His first round is against Ken on Suzaku Castle, and his second is against ZS Samus on Onett with Chun-Li's stage music playing. Isabelle's matches aren't as detailed, but all of her opponents are female characters (first round is against four female Villagers, second round is against Wii Fit Trainer, female Pokémon Trainer, and Pikachu Libre, etc.). It makes me curious to see what the other Classic Mode runs have in store...

27 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of Classic Mode, we already know that its tailored for each character but it seems more in-depth than I expected.

As shown in this GameXplain overview, all of Ryu's matches are Stamina battles on Omega stages. His first round is against Ken on Suzaku Castle, and his second is against ZS Samus on Onett with Chun-Li's stage music playing. Isabelle's matches aren't as detailed, but all of her opponents are female characters (first round is against four female Villagers, second round is against Wii Fit Trainer, female Pokémon Trainer, and Pikachu Libre, etc.). It makes me curious to see what the other Classic Mode runs have in store...

I get the feeling that one character’s Classic Mode run will have only royalty, such as Marth and Peach and another who will have all the sword fighters.

I also suspect that either Little Mac or Incineroar’s Classic Mode run will have a lot if heavyweights.

Speaking of big characters, I think Olimar’s Classic Mode will full of characters with the giant effect.

Edited by Water Mage

6 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

This is now up. 

I think the biggest takeaway that we didn't already know is Ice Climbers: the second half of the alts have Nana leading (you can tell by the hair). This was possible in Melee and Brawl so it's nice that they kept it.

15 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

My friend is super bummed they don't have the Pichu alt with the cute little backpack. But he says the new ones are interesting enough.

Pichu had to give up his backpack to join Team Skull.

Edited by Water Mage

6 hours ago, Florete said:

I think the biggest takeaway that we didn't already know is Ice Climbers: the second half of the alts have Nana leading (you can tell by the hair). This was possible in Melee and Brawl so it's nice that they kept it.

The other interesting thing of note is that not only does the Meta Ridley alt replaces his charcoal-black-and-orange placeholder from E3, but the white-and-green one representing Robot Ridley also uses the Meta Ridley model instead of the regular model.

21 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

If generic enemies are possible I'd like to see an Ardainian soldier get in.

Here's another "Every alt is here!" collection.

Think you can take me!?

The alts for Mario and Bowser bug me. Mario has his wedding suit but Bowser who looks AMAZING in his tuxedo has to do without one. That's some real wasted potential. 

Also BOTW Link doesn't seem to join Shulk in the swimsuit brigade. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

And Ganondorf. Interesting; all villains. You don't think maybe Nintendo has something against redheads, do you? (Just a joke question; as a redhead, I'm rather used to it being really rare in popular media. When I have a beard, I'm told I look like Ed Sheeran. When I'm cleanshaven, I'm told I look like Ron Weasley, and I strongly suspect that it's because those are the only two male redheads people can think of.)

Wow. I had a feeling I was forgetting someone. Turns out it was my main -_-

20 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Really? Because I remember getting a ton of flak for suggesting generic class characters be reskinned clones with lesser movesets. Even by Warriors fans. Then again what character suggestions COULD you make that won't receive flak regarding those games?

I only hung around on the Warriors forum here for a while after finishing the game, so maybe my knowledge is limited, but I remember that idea was common enough that I was deterred from making a thread about it myself. It seems glaringly obvious considering that's sort of what they did with half the rosters being clones, they just didn't go far enough witht he idea.

13 hours ago, Florete said:

I'd like the ability to decide which of the two to make the lead. Never really felt like Nana was the leader in the other palette swaps because it's so hard to tell them apart without the colours. They kind of stop being Popo and Nana entirely for me when the palettes are changed. Though maybe that'll be different with the more modern graphics making them more distinct.

I hear that Roy can D-throw to Final Smash and kill at 0%? Is this true? Because if so, then this is where the fun begins.

Also Twilight of the Gods remix confirmed.

Edit: 

Edited by Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I hear that Roy can D-throw to Final Smash and kill at 0%? Is this true? Because if so, then this is where the fun begins.

Try it for yourself in Smash 4, it takes advantage of how the final smash waves behind and above him before he strikes. 

12 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Richter and Simons axe can kill at around 70% lmao

It's soooo laggy though. Can't just lob it around when both of you are onstage.