Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

25 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Seems to be purely bug fixes for the listed characters. No balance changes confirmed thus far.

Yeah, it’s far too early when the meta hasn’t really developed.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

Yeah, it’s far too early when the meta hasn’t really developed.

For reference, Smash 4's first update with balance changes and not just bug fixes came a whole two months after the Japanese 3DS release. Then again, I imagine releasing two versions of the same game with totally different modes is much more tumultuous for QA testers than the release of Ultimate was. I think the biggest thing stopping a proper balance patch by the end of this month is the simple fact that the winter holiday is approaching and you gotta give developers some time off. 

9 hours ago, Florete said:

I've got a good idea for an online challenge I wish was in the game: Rematch 100 opponents.

Then maybe people would stop leaving after 1 fucking match.

Pretty sure that's because people want to swap characters yet you can't without quitting a match for some inane reason.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Pretty sure that's because people want to swap characters yet you can't without quitting a match for some inane reason.

While that might be the case for some, I think we'll be seeing this more often because of the tag system. Players who get their opponent's tag but don't want to risk giving up their own will dip.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

While that might be the case for some, I think we'll be seeing this more often because of the tag system. Players who get their opponent's tag but don't want to risk giving up their own will dip.

...what? I thought you didn't lose anything by others getting your tag?

Edited by Xenomata

So apparently Elite Smash isn't that hard to unlock? Because all I did was win a bunch of 1 on 1 battles.

...they weren't even hard unfortunately. Well one of them was a pretty good K.Rool, but the other was a rather special-happy Simon...

I was playing as Roy and he feels pretty powerful while maintaining a sort of combo ability, while the powered up close range attacks at the cost of weaker tipper attacks meant much and little to my in-your-face playstyle.

@Florete... guess I just don't get the big deal. So someone out there has my tag. And nothing of value was lost.

Edited by Xenomata

20 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If Kirby was the only one not captured and copied by Galeem, why are there clones of Kirby to battle in World of Light?

I mean the Spirits that have the bodies of rescued Fighters don't disappear either.
Obviously Galeem ripped Meta Knight's mask off and cloned him for Kirby stand-ins.

40 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If Kirby was the only one not captured and copied by Galeem, why are there clones of Kirby to battle in World of Light?

The only sound theory I can come up with is that Kirby is such a simple specimen that Galeem, while not able to create entire living copies of Kirby, is still able to create puppets of Kirby.

Certainly sounds better than "They forgot Kirby-related Spirit Battles are impossible in the lore"

18 minutes ago, The Priest said:

I mean the Spirits that have the bodies of rescued Fighters don't disappear either.

I think that's just because the puppet was already made, and each individual puppet can't cease to exist until AFTER it is destroyed in battle.

Edited by Xenomata

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I found it, the best Spirit. It's a sprite of the telephone in Earthbound. And it's named "Ness' Father"

Yeah, and he is a Legend spirit and is portrayed as an invisible Snake in his spirit battle. Everything about it is comedy gold, really. 

Too bad I still haven’t found the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit in-game yet, though.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I found it, the best Spirit. It's a sprite of the telephone in Earthbound. And it's named "Ness' Father"

I saw that in the shop but I couldn't afford it. Love the fact that it's legendary class.

I never thought i'd ever say this but my Zelda might actually be better than my Shulk. She's so fun and Phantom Slash is too good of an edgeguard tool. If you're lucky, the shield might even push opponents off the edge.

3 hours ago, NoirCore said:

So not too long ago, I saw Anna's shop selling Pyra as a spirit.

(Xenoblade 2 lore spoilers)

Hide contents

I can't believe Anna became a Core Crystal Hunter and killed Rex.

It's the same as it ever was... As soon as people are denied something they desire, they try to take it by force.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I never thought i'd ever say this but my Zelda might actually be better than my Shulk. She's so fun and Phantom Slash is too good of an edgeguard tool. If you're lucky, the shield might even push opponents off the edge.

Zelda is an absolute blast to play in Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'm actually taking her into consideration when choosing a "main character" this time around which I never expected! However, Shulk has never felt better so I'm leaning towards him as my main again right now, but I haven't really decided yet.

Only thing I don't like about this Zelda is that they've kept the stupid bounce when you try to teleport back to the ground. It was a mechanic they added in SSB4 for all teleports and it just sucks. In Brawl you can teleport directly back into a ground position and attack from there, but in SSB4 and Ultimate if you try to teleport back to the stage, it shifts you left or right and if you happen to fly off the stage doing that you stay in the helpless state and fall to your death. No idea why they made it work that way. It's bloody useless. If I wanted to teleport downwards a little to the left or right of center then I'd just aim that way.

I feel Robin is overused in spirit battles a bit too much. Everyone who's primarily or even vaguely a mage gets to have Robin as their spirit host despite much better option being available. Leo being Robin I understand but Ivan is small, blonde and meek which would make Lucas a much better representation of him, Gharnef being Robin is weird when he's got so much more in common with Ganondorf and I have no idea what Robin and Zant are supposed to have in common.

103 semi-unique stages and over 800 music tracks. And each series's music tracks are not limited to one stage, just all stages from the same series.

Pros: OH GOD IT'S ALL SO BEAUTIFUL.

Cons: OH GOD I'M STILL ADJUSTING MUSIC APPEARANCE RATE AND STILL DON'T HAVE ALL THE MUSIC SO I'LL JUST BE DOING THIS AGAIN LATER.

Edited by Xenomata

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I feel Robin is overused in spirit battles a bit too much. Everyone who's primarily or even vaguely a mage gets to have Robin as their spirit host despite much better option being available. Leo being Robin I understand but Ivan is small, blonde and meek which would make Lucas a much better representation of him, Gharnef being Robin is weird when he's got so much more in common with Ganondorf and I have no idea what Robin and Zant are supposed to have in common.

That's probably because Smash Bros. doesn't have much in the way of magic users; Robin is basically the only one aside from Zelda (is Palutena a magic user?), unless you consider PSI to be magic. Ganondorf uses darkness, which could be considered a form of magic, but only to enhance his physical attacks.