Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Jave said:

I'll be honest and say that I do find this rather problematic. I can get what they were going for with the references and I don't think there was any malicious intent, but I feel this is not something that should be simply overlooked as "drama".

I'm all in favor of patching it out.

To be honest, I didn't think of it that way at all until that article. I feel like you need a degree of subconscious racism to actually look at the things like without being started.

I assumed Tac being villager was because of the "pocket" move allowing him to catch objects and the net resembling the sack tac steals things in. DK being Sandman could be equated to size and strength rather than skin colour, I nicknamed my brother "ape-boy" years ago because he's a boxer and he hits like a gorilla. Gotta admit, the Dee Jay/Diddy Kong one has me completely because I've not actually played more than a couple Street Fighter games (the original and Street Fighter II's original incarnation). But because I have no evidence either way, I feel the benefit of the doubt must be given until I know enough about the character to form a valid opinion.

What's next people complaining that Vivian is portrayed by Mr. Game and Watch when she's trans in some regions (like say, JAPAN), thus meaning it's transphobic because she's portrayed by a character with a clear "MR" in his name implying that she's a man, despite the fact it's obviously because they are both primarily featureless blobs of darkness in vaguely humanoid shape?

I'd give another example, but I actually can't think of one. Despite having every single damn spirit, I cannot think of another one.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jave said:

I'll be honest and say that I do find this rather problematic. I can get what they were going for with the references and I don't think there was any malicious intent, but I feel this is not something that should be simply overlooked as "drama".

I'm all in favor of patching it out.

So should these spirits just be removed from the game entirely nor should the spirit battles be reworked? Because you can probably make any relevant fight racist if you extrapolate hard enough. I personally think the racist connoyations are are extremely tenuous. I don't think I ever would have made the connections, especially for the villager one (which I think was chosen because of the neutral B more so than the net).

I personally think you really have to dig deep to find those spirits offensive. If you look hard enough, many of the spirits can be 'offensive'. For example, you don't see people yelling 'whitewashing!!!!' over Yuri Kozukata's spirit being represented by Zelda who is white while Yuri is Japanese.  It's just a fun game about beating each other up so there's no need to get so worked up over it.

Edited by zuibangde

Is there a list of which spirits are exclusive to certain modes or the like? Like, Baby Bowser being exclusive to Spirit Board, or something else being exclusive to the shop?

12 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Looks like Smash Bros may get another controversy:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/325469-some-smash-bros-ultimate-players-are-pointing-out-what-they-beli

EDIT: Although to be fair, only one site is talking about it, though the Game and Watch controversy also started small. And it remained small, since Nintendo resolved it pretty quickly.

I'll admit that I noticed these too (except for the Tac one, which flew over my head). 

I doubt it's intentional. Nintendo, being a Japanese company, is likely out of touch with these things. I pretty much laughed it off when I saw Sandman. They'll probably patch these out because there are alternative ways of representing the characters.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

So should these spirits just be removed from the game entirely nor should the spirit battles be reworked? Because you can probably make any relevant fight racist if you extrapolate hard enough. I personally think the racist connoyations are are extremely tenuous. I don't think I ever would have made the connections, especially for the villager one (which I think was chosen because of the neutral B more so than the net).

Just replace Diddy and DK with other characters and change the Villager alt. 

It’s not a matter of extrapolating, but the fact that black people being called “monkeys” is not an uncommon form of racism. Again, I don’t believe the intention was in any way malicious (just like with the G&W thing a while back), but a lot of people likely won’t see the references and see this the wrong way, which is why it’s a good idea to patch it out. It won’t affect the game in the grand scheme of things anyway. 

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

This seems rather bizarre 

Then again I dno who even uses the Miis in the first place.

Mmm, the Chakram is a returning move from Smash 4 and that's not how it's supposed to work. The light throws are supposed to make it return, trapping opponents for multihits, but in that video the light throw clearly doesn't work, instead causing a short distance version of the strong throw. The version we have now is very identical to the old one in terms of function. Same frame data and rehit rate. I think the Chakram hard throw and Gale Strike projectile traveling that far are just simple bugs. They're supposed to disappear after X frames of traveling like they did in the previous game. I wouldn't call them nerfs, but I guess it's a matter of perspective. To the developers its just them finishing the Miis and their large toolbelt of custom moves.

Edited by Glennstavos

44 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

So does the game not remember which Alts I use when I use a character? 3DS did (IDK if Wii U did since I didn't have it) but it seems not to be the case here.

Lazy people problems

Wii U didn’t either, that was exclusive to 3DS and I wish it came back for this, making alts like saved to a unique name would be cool.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

Then again I dno who even uses the Miis in the first place.

Mii Brawler player here! Have you got a problem with that or something?

They even had to nerf the game “Challenger Approaching” because everyone was having trouble with it.

I unlocked characters both before and after the patch and I didn't notice any changes in the AI at all.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

So I got the game recently and it's fun. Are there any useful tips I should know about World of Light as I go through it?

Also, the first Legendary I saw on the Spirit Board was Azura and as expected I failed miserably. I don't expect to get any very easily, but is there any general advice for getting Legendary spirits?

3 hours ago, Landmaster said:

So does the game not remember which Alts I use when I use a character? 3DS did (IDK if Wii U did since I didn't have it) but it seems not to be the case here.

Lazy people problems

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Wii U didn’t either, that was exclusive to 3DS and I wish it came back for this, making alts like saved to a unique name would be cool.

They did that on Smash for 3DS because the console is personalized; even when playing with other people, they're not playing on your console. With Wii U and Switch, people in the same room as you are playing on the same console.

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

They did that on Smash for 3DS because the console is personalized; even when playing with other people, they're not playing on your console. With Wii U and Switch, people in the same room as you are playing on the same console.

True, but even so I wish the personalized names saved the last alts the name used.

10 hours ago, Jave said:

Just replace Diddy and DK with other characters and change the Villager alt. 

It’s not a matter of extrapolating, but the fact that black people being called “monkeys” is not an uncommon form of racism. Again, I don’t believe the intention was in any way malicious (just like with the G&W thing a while back), but a lot of people likely won’t see the references and see this the wrong way, which is why it’s a good idea to patch it out. It won’t affect the game in the grand scheme of things anyway. 

I think the vast majority of people would not see any racist connections there and patching it out would only serve to encourage people to make such connections rather than moving past stereotypes.

34 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So I got the game recently and it's fun. Are there any useful tips I should know about World of Light as I go through it?

Also, the first Legendary I saw on the Spirit Board was Azura and as expected I failed miserably. I don't expect to get any very easily, but is there any general advice for getting Legendary spirits?

Well, do you want some particular characters? I could give you a hint on what characters to expect. Because some characters are really late game, like they become available a little before the final boss.

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think the vast majority of people would not see any racist connections there and patching it out would only serve to encourage people to make such connections rather than moving past stereotypes.

People have every right to find something offensive and if they do they should speak up. Just because the majority don't find something problematic doesn't mean it isn't.

18 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Well, do you want some particular characters? I could give you a hint on what characters to expect. Because some characters are really late game, like they become available a little before the final boss.

I don't mind not knowing where to find specific characters, but I want to unlock everyone before the final boss. I was mainly wondering if there are any particularly helpful Spirits I should be on the lookout for.

I went down Marth's path and besides him, Mario, and Kirby, I currently have Fox, Dr. Mario, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt.

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I don't mind not knowing where to find specific characters, but I want to unlock everyone before the final boss. I was mainly wondering if there are any particularly helpful Spirits I should be on the lookout for.

I went down Marth's path and besides him, Mario, and Kirby, I currently have Fox, Dr. Mario, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt.

Marth’s path is usually the best one.

Here’s some hints:

Other than Marth, Pit, Link, Sheik and Kirby don’t expect to run into Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Zelda and Kirby characters anytime soon, they all come real late and I mean late. Speaking of late game characters, pretty much all echo fighters are late game.

Early game characters tend to be from Mario, Pokemon and characters who are the sole representatives of their franchises. And you pretty much will get all the cute mascot characters before midgame.

As for helpful spirits:

Harriet is pretty good if you’re using Sword characters and you can find her near where Wii Fit trainer was. For Physical fighters try finding the Rock Mario spirit. You can get Victini(who buff Smash attacks) pretty early, but he is a Legend spirit so it is a tough fight.

Lillina, who is close to where Link is, is a good one to get so you can use her to summon Hector, his effect is unflinching Smash attacks which is an amazing effect.(It’s hilarious how Hector is a High Tier character no matter what game he is in)

You can’t find Pyra in World of Light, but you can find her in Spirit Board.

Try getting her, as ger ability, assist killer is a godsend.

Lastly there are a lot and I do mean a lot of Stamina battles. There are more hints I want to give, but my post is long enough as it is.

10 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

You can’t find Pyra in World of Light, but you can find her in Spirit Board.

Try getting her, as ger ability, assist killer is a godsend.

Or he could get Sherriff, who is in a treasure chest in the WoL overworld and does exactly the same thing as Pyra.

@Lightchao42 Most Stamina battles can be cheesed by picking DK and spamming his down special, so try that if you're in a bind.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Or you could get Sherriff, who is in a treasure chest in the WoL overworld and does exactly the same thing.

Yeah, but he’s rather out place. I mean, he does come somewhat early, but not easy to get to if I’m not mistaken.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Yeah, but he’s rather out place. I mean, he does come somewhat early, but not easy to get to if I’m not mistaken.

He's a lot easier to get than Pyra (unless you buy her from the shop, but even then she's pretty expensive).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Jave said:

People have every right to find something offensive and if they do they should speak up. Just because the majority don't find something problematic doesn't mean it isn't.

I'm not saying people can't find it offensive. I'm saying removing the spirits will further racism by reinforcing negative stereotypes instead of letting them die.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm not saying people can't find it offensive. I'm saying removing the spirits will further racism by reinforcing negative stereotypes instead of letting them die.

Racism will never die by doing nothing. The idea of letting negative stereotypes die by staying quiet is naive at best.