Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

"He also said Zelda is based on both A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS probably would've gotten a playable character if the timing was better."

From the person that linked this to me. So with wording like that I don't think DLC is much of an option for em either.

The tweet only says:
"Xenoblade 2 and ARMs characters just had bad timing for the project plan."

That said, considering several factors (Smash 4's DLC newcomers, what we know of Ultimate's DLC, the likelyhood of Spirits/ATs/etc. deconfirming characters) I'd say most realistically weren't expecting any non-marketing based 1st parties to begin with.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The tweet only says:
"Xenoblade 2 and ARMs characters just had bad timing for the project plan."

That said, considering several factors (Smash 4's DLC newcomers, what we know of Ultimate's DLC, the likelyhood of Spirits/ATs/etc. deconfirming characters) I'd say most realistically weren't expecting any non-marketing based 1st parties to begin with.

True but I still see a lot of people hoping for 1st parties, so I felt I should say it.

Edited by Jedi

Somehow I doubt that the DLC characters were all picked three years before release, so if ARMS and Xenoblade 2 don't get characters in the Fighters Pass I don't think it will be due to poor timing. It just means that Nintendo has bad taste.

Also

fullsizeoutput_425.jpeg.3ebd2cbcbaa01b3c07afb49efccfd852.jpeg

Happy 20th anniversary!

Edited by Lightchao42

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Somehow I doubt that the DLC characters were all picked three years before release, so if ARMS and Xenoblade 2 don't get characters in the Fighters Pass I don't think it will be due to poor timing. It just means that Nintendo has bad taste.

Also

fullsizeoutput_425.jpeg.3ebd2cbcbaa01b3c07afb49efccfd852.jpeg

Happy 20th anniversary!

It's funny, I never even played the original release, but man, feels old.

I've got all spirits but Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee, finally. Any idea on when they're supposed to be made completely available? I don't wanna spend $129.88.

In case anybody was expecting Prime 4 to get anything in DLC:

...Development is starting over from scratch and shifting over to Retro (from the vague "new dev team" which several insiders claimed was Namco).

It's official. Just got the in-game notification for version 2.0 within the next week. Yes, really. I guess they've stopped progressing one tenth or one hundredth at a time like in Smash 4. Some speculate there may be more in this update than just Piranha Plant and a balance update with 2.0 signifying an overhaul of online or the addition of some mode. But I'll remind you that Smash 4 never made it to a version 2.0 and it DID get new modes and social features in updates.

What is this feeling...I welcomed balance updates in Smash 4. But this time I feel...fear.

Edited by Glennstavos

On 1/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, Glennstavos said:

It's official. Just got the in-game notification for version 2.0 within the next week. Yes, really. I guess they've stopped progressing one tenth or one hundredth at a time like in Smash 4. Some speculate there may be more in this update than just Piranha Plant and a balance update with 2.0 signifying an overhaul of online or the addition of some mode. But I'll remind you that Smash 4 never made it to a version 2.0 and it DID get new modes and social features in updates.

What is this feeling...I welcomed balance updates in Smash 4. But this time I feel...fear.

It's gonna be smack dab in the middle of Genesis too.

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

These are like...the most specific glitches that this game has.

That is so bizarre.

2 minutes ago, IS Bath Salts HQ said:

That is so bizarre.

It's like...with so many glitches, I almost worry about Q&A, but at the same time, they're just so specific and really reaching, that I almost really can't blame them.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

It's like...with so many glitches, I almost worry about Q&A, but at the same time, they're just so specific and really reaching, that I almost really can't blame them.

I wonder if this would ever happen in a tournament match, "wait i'm gonna change against your Duck Hunt to this Mii I gotta make really quick" 

lmao. It'd be a DQ but it'd be a hilarious one.

4 minutes ago, IS Bath Salts HQ said:

It's gonna be smack dab in the middle of Genesis too.

Yes, we've had cases like this in Smash 4, they will be keeping their switches unpatched:

Which I suspect is easier in Ultimate, because not only does the game ask you when you want to update (unlike Smash 4, when patches were involuntary if you were connected to the internet), they can also set their switches to airplane mode so that the console never detects the update in the first place.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Yes, we've had cases like this in Smash 4, they will be keeping their switches unpatched:

Which I suspect is easier in Ultimate, because not only does the game ask you when you want to update (unlike Smash 4, when patches were involuntary if you were connected to the internet), they can also set their switches to airplane mode so that the console never detects the update in the first place.

Mhmm, it's just funny timing to me more so.

A full translation of the most recent Sakurai interview from Nintendo Dream: https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-smash-bros-ultimate-why-decidueye-wasnt-chosen-piranha-plant-character-changes-online-much-more

Interesting tidbits besides what we already know, with Sakurai acknowledging that online seems to be "unreliable". 

Of course, a quote that really sticks out to me is this:
"For instance, differentiating the sword users’ individual characteristics is quite difficult – them seeming similar isn’t unlikely. Protagonists sure do love their swords – you’d think using an axe from time to time would be okay, wouldn’t it? (laughs) "

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Of course, a quote that really sticks out to me is this:
"For instance, differentiating the sword users’ individual characteristics is quite difficult – them seeming similar isn’t unlikely. Protagonists sure do love their swords – you’d think using an axe from time to time would be okay, wouldn’t it? (laughs) "

Edgeguard conifered.

5 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Edgeguard conifered.

People are taking it as a tease. I'm more surprised/bemused that Sakurai actually addressed the "all the sword characters feel the same" complaint.

And speaking of things people are taking as a tease...

"dig" = Steve, apparently. 

Edited by The DanMan

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

People are taking it as a tease. I'm more surprised/bemused that Sakurai actually addressed the "all the sword characters feel the same" complaint.

And speaking of things people are taking as a tease...

"dig" = Steve now.

??????????

22 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

??????????

Should've made it a bit clearer that's just what people are saying, but this is the closest to an actual tease we've got.

5 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Should've made it a bit clearer that's just what people are saying, but this is the closest to an actual tease we've got.

No, you are fine. This is my processing phase that this stuff might actually happen.

I'm hoping the incoming update puts Squad Strike into Online. At least into Arenas. Quickplay would also be nice, they can just ignore GSP like they ignore it in Co-op Quickplay, but I'd settle for it as an Arena mode because it is so fun yet so underplayed due to its local multiplayer restriction. Smashdown is similarly restricted, but unless you take stocks down to 1 and have at least 5 players, Smashdown can go on for an hour or longer. Plus online already restricts you to four players maximum. If they ever allow 8 player battles in Arenas, then I'll be asking for Smashdown, but Squad Strike is my priority.

17 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm hoping the incoming update puts Squad Strike into Online. At least into Arenas. Quickplay would also be nice, they can just ignore GSP like they ignore it in Co-op Quickplay, but I'd settle for it as an Arena mode because it is so fun yet so underplayed due to its local multiplayer restriction. Smashdown is similarly restricted, but unless you take stocks down to 1 and have at least 5 players, Smashdown can go on for an hour or longer. Plus online already restricts you to four players maximum. If they ever allow 8 player battles in Arenas, then I'll be asking for Smashdown, but Squad Strike is my priority.

Amen to this 

Version 2.0.0 is out now, and with it Piranha Plant is now playable! In addition, the Spirit Board now supports multiplayer with up to four players, and the Let's Go! and Mario Party spirits now appear in the shop.

They also listed the adjustments made to each fighter for the first time.

Edited by Lightchao42