Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

To no one's surprise, Sakurai announced at the end of the Ultimate World Championship that the next DLC character will be revealed during Nintendo's E3 Direct. His wording suggested that there will be only one character, but maybe we'll get another character revealedĀ on Twitter if we're lucky.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I still have hopes on a DQ character. Not necessarily the one announced next. Still, would be nice...

Given you've just changed aviĀ to Grandmaster Nimzo, that I can see you wear your hopes proudly.

And I like the Cyrillic touch.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given you've just changed aviĀ to Grandmaster Nimzo, that I can see you wear your hopes proudly.

And I like the Cyrillic touch.

Pretty much why I changed it, heh. First thought on changing it to one of the heroes; but it's just that since I'm excited for the movie, and V is my most favorite... and I shamelessly like the chess motiff the localization used... well, I chose Nimzo.

Heh, that's how it is in-game. He "speaks" like that, pretty much.

If I were to say who I would want... well, I am in the Erdrick bandwagon. Though if they pull a fast one and choose Madason, or the Luminary, or some other... that'd be great, too.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Pretty much why I changed it, heh. First thought on changing it to one of the heroes; but it's just that since I'm excited for the movie, and V is my most favorite... and I shamelessly like the chess motiff the localization used... well, I chose Nimzo.

ļ»æ Heh, that's how it is in-game. He "speaks" like that, pretty much.

DQV DS was my first, beyond having played DQ I&II GBC as a kid and never completing it.

I'd have picked Bishop Ladja for a villain. Nimzo like most DQ final bosses isn't there until the very end, barring Dhoulmagus who is sorta the ultimate villainĀ and sorta not, and maybe Psaro. Ladja has the feels, and the DS port did keep them alive longer, just in time for more feels.

On the hero side, V's protag aka "Madason" would have been a choice for me. Or Parry or Madchen, because the kiddos are cute. Despite having zero desires to become a parent and thinking I'd be awful at being one, I really felt the heartwarming nature of all the Party Chats strolling around everywhere with the two.

Oh yes, Ladja is like... damn. Funny how most of his scenes were added after the original release. How surprising he got that treatment over the other members, since he barely did much more than them. Then again, his main sole role was orchestrating that scene, so perhaps it left quite the impact on the players. Still...

I would think that maybe Madason may have some good chances. There's the movie to capitulate on, for example. Heh, I could see the kids working like the Ice Climbers. Though admitedly, their chances aren't that high. Yeah, I totally agree the family aspect is quite nice.

I would honestly prefer some new alts to use over a new character. For the most part just having 8 recolors at this point is just sad, to me at least. I didn't really care for Joker either way, so i'm notĀ too hyped or anything for another DLC character.

The real question is, will it just be one character reveal, or will we get two? Considering it's E3, it's probably the latter but Sakurai's wording makes it seem like the former.

Right, along with different alts preferred, I would like a balance patch that actually does it's job. Cause to me, this games balance is a disaster. They should fix what they have rather than make it worse by adding characters in.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

The real question is, will it just be one character reveal, or will we get two? Considering it's E3, it's probably the latter but Sakurai's wording makes it seem like the former.

From what I hear, pluralization in Japanese can be spotty. So I wouldn't rule out two reveals (and if we were to get two, he would want that to be surprising, not set us up for two).

Ā 

Don't count on two reveals, but also don't dismiss the possibility. We'll get what we get.

Wow, way to give Dixie Kong fans a major FUCK YOU, Nintendo. I was completely 100% thinking this was a Dixie Kong trailer only to be disappointed. I want to cry because I thought I was finally getting a DLC character I would care about. But NO. Thanks a fucking lot.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, way to give Dixie Kong fans a major FUCK YOU, Nintendo. I was completely 100% thinking this was a Dixie Kong trailer only to be disappointed. I want to cry because I thought I was finally getting a DLC character I would care about. But NO. Thanks a fucking lot.

It was said at last years Game Awards that all the DLC characters were going to be characters whose franchises weren't already represented in Smash. How can you still be expecting Dixie after that?

Also seeing all the Steveposters on 4Chan getting BTFO'd is absolutely hilarious.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 minute ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It was said at last years Game Awards that all the DLC characters were going to be characters whose franchises weren't already represented in Smash. How can you still be expecting Dixie after that?

Proof? I have never seen such a thing said. Also, such an idea makes no sense to me when there are still characters from franchises in the game that deserve to be in, such as Dixie, Impa from Zelda, and more.

Edited by Anacybele

"Which Dragon Quest character are we adding in Smash, Mr.Sakurai?"

"Yes"

6 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Well it could've also meant that since everyone's a veteran in Ultimate, all the DLC characters would be newcomers.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well it could've also meant that since everyone's a veteran in Ultimate, all the DLC characters would be newcomers.

Yeah. But if it did really mean that all the newcomers would be third parties or franchises not already represented, I never saw the statement and had no idea. Can't fault me for simply not knowing and then reasonably expecting that a trailer starting with DK stuff could mean a DK newcomer.

DQ content is pretty hype for me, as its one of the few franchises left that I thought 'deserved' a character, and I was somewhat disappointed that FF got into Smash first.Ā  DQ menus in the middle of a real time fight seem a bit awkward, but I'll reserve full judgement until I've actually played them.

Banjo-Kazooie is whatever.Ā  Never had an interest in playing their games, so it holds no nostalgia value for me.Ā  As a fighter they look OK.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Can't fault me for simply not knowing and then reasonably expecting that a trailer starting with DK stuff could mean a DK newcomer.

To be fair, that trailer was genius. Rare developed DK64. That's why DK and friends cheered when they saw Banjo.