Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/8/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jave said:

Here's something interesting. Most wanted characters on the three major regions based on comments on official Nintendo tweets, after the "More DLC" reveal:

Japan's is looking great, except for the random Gundam (but Japan does love its giant robots). The U.S. is looking great (except for Steve).

Then comes Europe. What the fuck, Europe?

On 9/10/2019 at 3:24 AM, Perkilator said:

Your Final Smash Meter. If you can survive long enough, it’ll be full enough to use a Final Smash.

The fact that it's Stamina (rather than a normal battle) and that I only have 140HP to play with, and there are three Dr. Mario's spamming pills at me. Also, Final Smashes are garbage in Stamina Mode as they don't kill the enemy like they do normally. So yeah, 0/10, would not take advice from again.

Then comes Europe. What the fuck, Europe?

Except for Agumon, I don't see what's wrong. Oh, and at least us Europeans aren't dumb enough to vote for Waluigi, who's a friggin' ASSIST TROPHY!!

Edited by NinjaMonkey

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

The fact that it's Stamina (rather than a normal battle) and that I only have 140HP to play with, and there are three Dr. Mario's spamming pills at me. Also, Final Smashes are garbage in Stamina Mode as they don't kill the enemy like they do normally. So yeah, 0/10, would not take advice from again.

Except for Agumon, I don't see what's wrong. Oh, and at least us Europeans aren't dumb enough to vote for Waluigi, who's a friggin' ASSIST TROPHY!!

Agumon's a video game character. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

12 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I wouldn't say his advice is awful, I think the issue lies with your skill as a player. It's not really THAT hard, honestly.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:43 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

Where am I getting this Final Smash from, exactly? And I'm already using Spring Man + Madame Butterfly.

Really pedantic and irrelevant nitpick, but it's Madama Butterfly, not Madame Butterfly. I'd also concurr that Gruntilda isn't all that hard as far as spirit battles grow. Try using giant killer.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I wouldn't say his advice is awful, I think the issue lies with your skill as a player. It's not really THAT hard, honestly.

So I'm supposed to get the crap beaten out of me, until I get a Final Smash that won't do much. I'd say that's pretty bad advice.

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So I'm supposed to get the crap beaten out of me, until I get a Final Smash that won't do much. I'd say that's pretty bad advice.

Then you arent playing Smash correctly. Mounting a solid defense isn't that hard, learn to parry. Also depends on which character your playing. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Say, how would you guys react if Misako and/or Kyoko from River City Girls got in as DLC?

Fantastic beat'em up for sure, but probably not going to happen. Arcade-style brawlers like the River City games don't really have a wide appeal in the modern gaming landscape, so it's safe to assume whatever characters they bring in next will be from more popular franchises.

If I had to pick a quintessential beat em up character, Billy/Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon, Gilius Thunderhead from Golden Axe, Axel from Streets of Rage, or Haggar from Final Fight. Nintendo doesn't own Double Dragon (but they may own rights over the NES trilogy?), so that's an iffy one. Actually if Arc System works were willing to play ball on this I might instead ask for Skullmageddon because he is hilarious and stands out more than Billy/Jimmy. The rest are Sega/Capcom. It's true Haggar already enjoys exposure in Marvel vs Capcom, but the other two Final Fight protagonists also appear in Street Fighter so I'd go with wrestler daddy.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, Glennstavos said:

The rest are Sega/Capcom. It's true Haggar already enjoys exposure in Marvel vs Capcom, but the other two Final Fight protagonists also appear in Street Fighter so I'd go with wrestler daddy.

Haggar would absolutely be the best choice for a Final Fight character in Smash since he's the only character to appear in all three games in the Final Fight trilogy, making him the face of the franchise pretty much by default. It's probably not a surprise coming from the guy with a Lucia profile picture, but Haggar getting into Smash Bros would probably send me over the freaking moon.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Perkilator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Two new Mii costumes were supposedly leaked in video form via 4chan, and I couldn’t believe one I saw one in particular (assuming this leak is real).

My thoughts

Spoiler

So first of all, after Smashifeid and Grinch, i'm not sold on the video yet. For starters, the costumes could simply be a mod

and while there is a counterpoint

EIi_H3-XsAAFpFF.png?width=1026&height=38

At the end of the day, it's not impossible for Mii Costumes to be modded into the game. It's hard to do but people will go to great lengths to fake shit so the video shouldn't be outright confirmation of anything. Besides, even if the leak is real, costumes confirm jack shit.

For real!?

45 minutes is waaaaaaaaay too long to only talk about one character. For comparison, Banjo and Kazooie's presentation was only 25 minutes long, and the final prerelease direct was 40 minutes long. Just what the heck is Sakurai going to talk about?

EDIT: And just so you don't get any funny ideas, there won't be any new character announcements.

Edited by Lightchao42

I can imagine Sakurai, in his guerilla style of stream/video presentation, booting up every SNK game on his switch for comparison footage on all of Terry's moves. I also expect Terry to have a gross amount of attacks, so going through them one by one will take awhile. The KoF stage will probably be loaded with cameos and music as well.

So, I wonder: Will Terry's Cutie version be available as a female alt akin to Wii Fit Trainer? Most likely she'd be bowdlerized to hades and back, like by shrinking her chest down and covering her cleavage, but it is worth noting that a genderbend option does exist thanks to SNK Heroines. And if Cutie Terry variants are included, she can reference some of SNK's notable female fighters like Mai and Angel.

Edited by Lord_Brand

32 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

So, I wonder: Will Terry's Cutie version be available as a female alt akin to Wii Fit Trainer? Most likely she'd be bowdlerized to hades and back, like by shrinking her chest down and covering her cleavage, but it is worth noting that a genderbend option does exist thanks to SNK Heroines.

Technically female Terry existed thanks to Capcom's vampire character from a dead fighting game franchise turning Terry into a woman as a special attack

That said, if there are any alt outfits, they might more likely go with the older Terry from the last Fatal Fury game (not to be confused with the King of Fighters series/timeline), "Garou: Mark of the Wolves".

I hope that Terry's moveset is intuitive. Ryu and Ken's extra inputs are fine because they make a pretty small impact on their playstyle, but a large part of why I do not play traditional fighting games is that they intentionally make their inputs and combos as clunky and unintuitive as possible.

I enjoy Smash because it's straight forward and is more about fighting your opponent than fighting your controller. I would prefer that it stay that way.

Edited by Etheus