Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

14 minutes ago, Florete said:

I hope, like with Joker and Terry, we see someone who hasn't been on the radar at all. In part because the commonly discussed options are ones I don't care for, but also because it's a lot more fun to be truly surprised.

I'm kind of on the same boat

I want an iconic character, that isn't fully relevant but was in recent years. Like Ezio, for me, he was the face of Assassin's Creed, but hasn't been a game since 2012, and he's the character people think of when they hear AC.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shantae, Crash, Spyro, Ryu Hayabusa, and Crono would all add something unique to the roster. I'd be delighted if any of them made it in. Of course I would prefer the next rep be someone more cartoony like Banjo & Kazooie. Crash is perfect for that, being another classic platform mascot from the 90s who, like Sonic, once represented a major competitor for Nintendo. He's made a big comeback lately with the N. Sane Trilogy and CTRNF, now's the perfect time for Crash to join Smash.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Mega Man, B&K...it's a mascot platformer reunion that Crash and Spyro deserve to join. What I'd really love is if Crash's trailer ends with a teaser for Spyro, hinting at the purple dragon being part of DLC pack 2. Or maybe they choose to announce them together as DLC #5 and #6, thereby bridging the two packs?

Edited by Lord_Brand

14 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm kind of on the same boat

I want an iconic character, that isn't fully relevant but was in recent years. Like Ezio, for me, he was the face of Assassin's Creed, but hasn't been a game since 2012, and he's the character people think of when they hear AC.

Hmm. Someone iconic but not on the radar. Call me crazy, but what about Glados from Portal? I say that mainly for moveset potential. Having the Portal Gun in Smash would be crazy (and I say Glados more than the protagonist because she could use more of the level hazards).

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Hmm. Someone iconic but not on the radar. Call me crazy, but what about Glados from Portal? I say that mainly for moveset potential. Having the Portal Gun in Smash would be crazy (and I say Glados more than the protagonist because she could use more of the level hazards).

I love GLaDOS as a character, but how would you go about making her playable in Smash? This isn't some Ridley-level "downsize for Smash" situation, she's largely just an AI, and her body is...well, not very conducive to a Smash moveset. Would work as a boss, though.

I'm not entirely sure what one would do with Chell, either. The portal gun would make for some nice gimmicks, but I don't see it filling up a whole moveset, and there's little else she does in the games.

For the record, I adore the Portal games and would absolutely be down for seeing some Portal in Smash. I just can't picture how it would actually work.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

While I can't see her as a character, I can definitely see Aptaure labs as a stage. It can have moving platforms like the Fire Emblem stages, have her shoot portals on the platforms to send players flying across the stage

Wait a minute...Neither Half-Life nor Portal have even been on Nintendo systems before! Has a Valve title ever released on a Nintendo system? PSASBR, now that would have been a better place for Valve representation.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Florete said:

I love GLaDOS as a character, but how would you go about making her playable in Smash? This isn't some Ridley-level "downsize for Smash" situation, she's largely just an AI, and her body is...well, not very conducive to a Smash moveset. Would work as a boss, though.

I'm not entirely sure what one would do with Chell, either. The portal gun would make for some nice gimmicks, but I don't see it filling up a whole moveset, and there's little else she does in the games.

For the record, I adore the Portal games and would absolutely be down for seeing some Portal in Smash. I just can't picture how it would actually work.

A more robotic redesign wouldn't be entirely out of the question I think. So long as you Eye it will look like Glados. Although CaptainKarnage is probably bright in that stage would work better (using the portal gun anywhere could have some potentially glitchy outcomes). I don't imagine them really giving us a third party stage without a rep though. At least not as DLC.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Perkilator said:

A person on Twitter (we both follow each other) just made a very good point about Ultimate’s sales by the end of its lifespan.

Welp, this means Nintendo's going to work Sakurai to death on the sixth game.

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

TBH, I think that they're just going to release Ultimate again with 12 extra characters, 6 more stages, and another 100 songs.

Don't fix what's already perfect.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:58 AM, Jotari said:

I'm pretty sure Sakurai does that to himself, rather than anyone forcing him to do it.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure Sakurai does that to himself, rather than anyone forcing him to do it.

Yeah; I'm pretty sure that's what happens. Nintendo avoids setting hard deadlines after all, with Pokémon being the only real exception as it's the one game they can't delay (as doing so delays the anime, trading cards and other merchandise) and Pokémon is mostly made by Gamefreak. 

As for GLaDOS, I could see her as a boss or a stage hazard, but not as a fighter. Then again, I still have yet to actually play Portal. 

What about Boxboy? I could see a potential moveset there with, well, his boxes. 

For the next Smash, what if Nintendo adopts a "Capcom Vs." approach and focuses the next title on a select third party? Super Smash Bros: Nintendo X SEGA seems like the logical first choice. Now Sonic can be joined by multiple other fighters from his own series, plus numerous other SEGA franchises like Beyond Oasis, Golden Axe, Gunstar Hero, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Vectorman, NiGHTS, Samba Di Amigo, Skies of Arcadia, and Billy Hatcher. Bayonetta and Joker of course would be welcome to return as well, with Bayonetta being owned by SEGA and Atlus being a subsidiary of SEGA. They can also retool the Nintendo half to create some interesting parallels, like by adding Isaac and Felix as a contrast to SEGA's Shining series, also developed by Camelot, or putting greater focus on major players during the Console Wars, like Donkey Kong Country. Of course Mario and Sonic will get the lion's share of reps there, being the faces of their companies and the Console Wars as a whole.

The potential of Smash as a platform for dedicated crossovers between Nintendo and various third parties is quite exciting. I wouldn't be surprised if they could even work something out with Microsoft, leading to a Super Smash Bros. with a lot more Rare IPs like Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, and maybe even Conker.

Edited by Lord_Brand

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

What about Boxboy? I could see a potential moveset there with, well, his boxes. 

Qbby I could see totally see being an Assist Trophy, but when all you can do is make boxes pop out of you in every direction, just comes off as being a little too limited for me. I say this having played both Boxboy and Boxboxboy.

-But I'll always leave my mind a crack open to the incomprehensible magic of Sakurai.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

I don't like the idea of a Nintendo Vs. franchise. It's too limiting, and few other publishers have the reportoire to make the sacrifice worthwhile. The only one that really comes to mind is Sony.

True, Project X Zone isn't all "greats" when it comes to its lineup of playables. You do have Yuri, Heihachi, and KOS-MOS for "great" Namco reps, but then Valkyrie? Thats just retro/"nostalgic" Namco at play. Sega had two Sakura Wars pair units, and Resonance of Fate isn't a "great" game either.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Qbby I could see totally see being an Assist Trophy, but when all you can do is make boxes pop out of you in every direction, just comes off as being a little too limited for me. I say this having played both Boxboy and Boxboxboy.

In... I believe it was the third game: Bye-Bye BoxBoy, they added special gimmicks to Qbby's boxes in certain levels, such as rocket boxes and stuff like that. 

I have to agree a Nintendo vs X Company game would feel too restrictive compared to smash. Smash Bros is already a Nintendo vs Everybody sort of game anyway, and that becomes more true with each character addition. Assuming Fighter Pass character #5 is a third party character, then exactly 50% of non-echo fighter character additions in Ultimate are not nintendo characters (Counting K Rool as a nintendo character because while it's true he was created by a bunch of wacky Brits, Nintendo still reserves the right to him and the Kremlings).

Few other publishers? You mean like Capcom, Square Enix, and Konami?

Company-focused crossovers could be a smart way to distinguish future titles, and I think it'd be great for Nintendo to collaborate with third parties with whom they share a great deal of history. Nintendo's side would rotate a good number of fighters in and out, to tailor their selection to their partner. For example, in X Capcom, we could see Onox, Veran, and Vaati as a nod to the fact Capcom developed the Oracles and TMC. And unlike in "Nintendo vs. Everybody", the featured partner in a given crossover can include a lot of fighters who wouldn't fit into a standard Smash. Instead of just Sonic, we can also get Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Blaze, and even Eggman himself. Conversely, we can cut fighters who don't feel quite as relevant to the crossover in question. "Historic" fighters like Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt might fit into a Nintendo-centric Smash, but when Nintendo is sharing the spotlight with select third party guests, I think we can give those kinds of fighters a break.

I don't think it'd be restrictive so much as refreshingly concise. Smash can't just keep getting bigger and bigger every game, sooner or later it'll become bloated with too many fighters and other content, not to mention become harder to balance. With the crossover approach, Nintendo can focus on different franchises from game to game. DKC can get more reps in X SEGA as a nod to the Console Wars, while Zelda can get more reps in X Capcom or X Square Enix (y'know, to capitalize on the possible Zelda/Final Fantasy matchups).

At any rate, it doesn't have to be a permanent direction for the series going forward, just a fun change of pace. Capcom's been working the crossover fighter angle for years, and we still talk about what new Capcom Vs. games might come out. (C'mon, Capcom and SEGA, give us the crossover Worlds Unite should have been already! You know we'll buy it!)

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Hate to triple post, but now we’re getting another Spirit event that might disappoint some people:

R.I.P.

As cool as the idea is, I don't think Astral Chain was gonna get into Smash to begin with.