Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean we won't be getting a Direct soon? First Pokemon blew its load on us outside a direct, and now Smash is doing the same. Both aren't in a direct which might indicate Nintendo hasn't planned a big direct for us. 

15 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Why not both?

According to Sakurai Smash is for good boys and girls. If that goes for that girl from SNK then it would likely go for the robot that can blow up her already revealing outfit as well. Nines is a good boy though and....

Spoiler

Practically the main character anyway. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Nines take her place. 

Perfect, should be up at 8 am my time. I’ll be able to watch it all before my first class with a bit of time to spare.

I still have my pipe dream that it will be Reimu Hakurei, but I do not think Touhou’s impact on gaming is that big compared to Persona, Banjo and Kazooie, SNK fighters, and Dragon Quest.

One of my classes starts right at the same time as this (9AM in this timezone). Oh well, it probably won't be someone I care much about anyway. Or even someone I'm familiar with at all, given the previous DLC characters.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

Why not both?

Meh. Even if 2B got in first there's a laundry list of characters I'd rather see than Akira Howard, but I guess they'd be okay.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

According to Sakurai Smash is for good boys and girls. If that goes for that girl from SNK then it would likely go for the robot that can blow up her already revealing outfit as well. Nines is a good boy though and....

Reveal hidden contents

Practically the main character anyway. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Nines take her place. 

On the other hand, the woman who strips to attack is already playable.

If a NieR Automata character gets in, it will be 2B or both 2B and 9S as an echo of her.

So from what I'm hearing, people think it's Dante because of this tweet.

Gotta say, this party's getting crazy. Sakurai's livestreams aren't actually live, and have even been recorded several months in advance in Terry's case. So I can't suggest the tweet containing the same date is just coincidence. Something like this would be easy to plan a month in advance, or one week in this case.

But I'm also reminded of Shulk's VA tweeting about a surprise in a nintendo direct that revealed a smash 4 trailer where it was Robin and Lucina. So "twitter leak"s haven't had the most solid track record. By the time Shulk actually did get revealed way later, most folks forgot.

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

According to Sakurai Smash is for good boys and girls. If that goes for that girl from SNK then it would likely go for the robot that can blow up her already revealing outfit as well.

I read that Sakurai himself gave a more straightforward explanation that they want to avoid a T rating for Ultimate; the translator decided to be cute with the "good boys and girls" line.

I think the main concern with Mai Shiranui is, to use a certain term from Awakening, her "boingy bits". Showing skin alone isn't enough to get a girl excluded from Smash; just look at ZSS' two-piece variants. But "boingy bits"? That's too titillating for Smash, evidently. Indeed, "boingy bits" seem to be the main determining factor over whether a girl can actually get into Smash. On the one hand, we have Peach and Daisy with actually enlarged "boingy bits" compared to how they're portrayed in their own series, on the other ZSS has been shrunken down since Brawl. Bayonetta's legs and backside are her most notable assets. And then of course Corrin's little bit of leg skin was censored despite how much leg ZSS shows in her two-piece variants. Sometimes, Nintendo can be a little hard to figure out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dante at some point, but I'll be a tad disappointed if this first DLC pack consists largely of human male fighters with Banjo & Kazooie being the only real shake up. I'm really rooting for Crash Bandicoot or Shantae, and I'm assuming no third party gets more than one fighter per pass, so if Spyro has any hope of getting in during the second pass Crash needs to get in the first one. On the other hand, nothing says they can't reveal the last fighter of pack 1 and the first fighter of pack 2 during the same direct, so maybe Dante will turn out to be #6, leaving the #5 slot for Crash or Shantae.

Edited by Lord_Brand

I can’t be the only person who wants that “good boys and girls” meme to die right? Why the translators couldn’t have been honest and gone with Sakurai’s cut-and-dry take of “Well we would’ve included Mai in the the game if CERO didn’t have a stick up their ass” instead of implying that they found Mai too slutty to include and making a quasi forced meme of it is beyond me. It’s ironic considering unlike Bayonetta, who’d probably be more in line as an actual “bad girl”, Mai isn’t promiscuous in the slightest and doesn’t look far different than Lyn from FE outside of a bit of cleavage. My apologies for going on a tangent there, but it’s these sort of things that boil my blood the most.

Anyhow... my guess for the character is as good as anyone else’s. Maybe Dante, Crash, Master Chief if I want to go out of left field. My actual desired characters are probably going to be hated if they’re ever included though, being Byleth and Type Moon’s Saber. 

7 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Anyhow... my guess for the character is as good as anyone else’s. Maybe Dante, Crash, Master Chief if I want to go out of left field. My actual desired characters are probably going to be hated if they’re ever included though, being Byleth and Type Moon’s Saber. 

Anybody who hates this is just salty because "too many FE characters!" I think Byleth would be fine as well, maybe not a top choice, but I certainly wouldnt mind.

The problem with the "good girls and boys" bit is that it's being interpreted way too far.

Mai's entire appeal is her sex icon status. Sorry, but not sorry. It's the truth. You would have to majorly dial down her design to include her. She shows tons of cleavage, poses suggestively, and everything. She's a character who uses her sexuality, and that's fine, but it isn't Smash. An age-appropriate Mai is not Mai, and it wouldn't please the fans.

2B is fetishized, sure. There is undoubtedly a strong and perverse attraction to the character, and I'm not about to deny that. But 2B is also much more than that. She's a powerful and controlling character. She's one of modern gamings strongest female icons. Her game is not only an excellent action game, but definitive proof that games are art, and potentially high art at that. 

Also, there is nothing whatsoever about her design that is any way inappropriate for Smash. She's fully clothed (even overly so in certain regards). We're not dealing with mammoth-sized mammaries. Her skirt is of an appropriate length to hide her panties (since that is apparently a CERO-no-no) with Smash character angles, and there is nothing whatsoever to stop Nintendo from censoring them in the same way that they do for potential upskirt shots of other female characters (like Peach or Zelda). And if slight alterations to her design do have to be made to make it so, the fans would not care.

I don't buy that 2B isn't CERO friendly or isn't worth making CERO friendly. 

Edited by Etheus

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Anybody who hates this is just salty because "too many FE characters!" I think Byleth would be fine as well, maybe not a top choice, but I certainly wouldnt mind.

I'd disagree, but hate is such a strong word that you're probably right. I dislike the idea of Byleth in Smash Bros., but I do not hate the idea. 

Byleth's problem isn't "too many FE characters"; it's that they bring nothing new to the table: the whip-sword is done by the Belmonts with the Morningstar whip, Divine Pulse would just be counter, etc. Byleth could work as a Three Houses trainer: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude do the fighting with Byleth in the background, instructing them. 

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'd disagree, but hate is such a strong word that you're probably right. I dislike the idea of Byleth in Smash Bros., but I do not hate the idea. 

Byleth's problem isn't "too many FE characters"; it's that they bring nothing new to the table: the whip-sword is done by the Belmonts with the Morningstar whip, Divine Pulse would just be counter, etc. Byleth could work as a Three Houses trainer: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude do the fighting with Byleth in the background, instructing them. 

Given the smash fans, I'd say hate is pretty accurate.

Alright, let's see... fists/kicks is done by Mario, and yet alot of the other characters, what do you know, also use fists/kicks! Now isnt that bringing something completely new to the game? Is every character now a Mario copy? By that logic, I'd say yes. So people that say they have to many sword characters needs to look at stuff like this as well.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Given the smash fans, I'd say hate is pretty accurate.

Alright, let's see... fists/kicks is done by Mario, and yet alot of the other characters, what do you know, also use fists/kicks! Now isnt that bringing something completely new to the game? Is every character now a Mario copy? By that logic, I'd say yes. So people that say they have to many sword characters needs to look at stuff like this as well.

Okay... I was disagreeing with the "too many swords" complaint and stating my own, in case that wasn't clear the first time.

I said that Byleth doesn't bring anything new to the table. Most DLC characters so far have had a unique gimmick that makes them stand out. But every gimmick Byleth could bring to the table has been done:

• Whip-Sword: done already with Castlevania's morningstar whip. 
  • Divine-Pulse: it would almost certainly play out like Shulk's vision. 
  • Fist-Fighting: Ike already does sword-&-fist, and it would more than likely play out similarly. 
  • Nosferatu: Robin already has it. 
  • Aura: it would be blue Thoron. 

Compare to Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude, who respectively bring axes & magic, lances, and bows & tricks & a wyvern. Personally, I think the best method to have Three Houses in Smash Bros. Ultimate would be to have all three, with Byleth acting as Three Houses Trainer. 

There is a difference between punches, and having 7 sword users from the same saga with the only new thing being that this sword can get longer, wich has been made already by a different character anyway. It's like having 8 fire types as the pokemon representatives because you can start the game whit a fire type every game. 

21 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

There is a difference between punches, and having 7 sword users from the same saga with the only new thing being that this sword can get longer, wich has been made already by a different character anyway. It's like having 8 fire types as the pokemon representatives because you can start the game whit a fire type every game. 

But in the end the complaint is, "there are too many sword users!" That has nothing to do with movesets. Why not complain about fist fighters as well? That, to me, is silly. And don't say "oh it's because there are four Marths!" There are three Mario's, so what makes it different? I personally don't mind clones, really. 

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

The problem with the "good girls and boys" bit is that it's being interpreted way too far.

Mai's entire appeal is her sex icon status. Sorry, but not sorry. It's the truth. You would have to majorly dial down her design to include her. She shows tons of cleavage, poses suggestively, and everything. She's a character who uses her sexuality, and that's fine, but it isn't Smash. An age-appropriate Mai is not Mai, and it wouldn't please the fans.

2B is fetishized, sure. There is undoubtedly a strong and perverse attraction to the character, and I'm not about to deny that. But 2B is also much more than that. She's a powerful and controlling character. She's one of modern gamings strongest female icons. Her game is not only an excellent action game, but definitive proof that games are art, and potentially high art at that. 

Also, there is nothing whatsoever about her design that is any way inappropriate for Smash. She's fully clothed (even overly so in certain regards). We're not dealing with mammoth-sized mammaries. Her skirt is of an appropriate length to hide her panties (since that is apparently a CERO-no-no) with Smash character angles, and there is nothing whatsoever to stop Nintendo from censoring them in the same way that they do for potential upskirt shots of other female characters (like Peach or Zelda). And if slight alterations to her design do have to be made to make it so, the fans would not care.

I don't buy that 2B isn't CERO friendly or isn't worth making CERO friendly. 

This, and also: Mai was never going to be playable. Sakurai likely didn't want to bother with the hassle of including her just so she could be a background character. If Sakurai wants to include 2B as playable, he'll make that extra effort. He already did with Bayonetta.

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But in the end the complaint is, "there are too many sword users!" That has nothing to do with movesets. Why not complain about fist fighters as well? That, to me, is silly. And don't say "oh it's because there are four Marths!" There are three Mario's, so what makes it different? I personally don't mind clones, really. 

Luigi has become so different from Mario that he barely counts if he counts at all. There's also Peach (very different), Bowser (very different), Rosalina and Luma (very different), Bowser Jr. (very different), and Piranha Plant (very different). 3 is the minority for the Mario characters, and it being 3 is arguable.

Similarly, for Zelda, there are three Links, but there's also Zelda (magic fighter: very different), Ganondorf (Capt. Falcon semi-clone: very different), and Shiek (ninja: very different). 

With Fire Emblem, it's 4 Marths out of 7 fighters. Ike, Robin and Corrin do stand out, but I can very much understand people wanting an FE non-swordsman because they would inherently stand out like Zelda, Ganondorf and Shiek do compared to Link, or Peach, Bowser, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., and Piranha Plant for Mario.