Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the next six characters are all going to be out by December 31 2021. It took them just over a year for them to give us the first six (counting Piranha Plant), so it sounds like updates will be slowing quite a bit moving forward.

Does this mean Sakurai is giving himself time to be the script writer for my dream Star Fox game? He hasn't returned my calls yet...

Let it never said that Smash Bros hasn't become the most unpredictable fighting game ever.

Well, Byleth is in Smash Ultimate. Hate it or love it, they're in now. You ask me, I'm not nearly as upest with Byleth as some other folks are. Mainly becasue:

1. I like they're moveset
  2. I actually like the game they're from
  3. We've got six more fighters on the way

Still, the salt has been real. Real enough to the point where people are canning friendships over it (Belive me I know), and honestly I think some people are going overboard. Can it be argued that Byleth was a rather "meh" way to end this fighter's pass? Yes. Is this the "absolute worst possible thing to have ever happend to Smash Bros"? Hell no. Not even close.

Anyways, Byleth aside, six more fighters. Holy shit. I cannot believe we are actually getting six more fighters. I was expecting maybe at leas 3 or 4 more. But no, we're getting six. 

The ride is nowhere even close to being finished, and I fucking love it. 

Edited by Roland

5 hours ago, Roland said:

Let it never said that Smash Bros hasn't become the most unpredictable fighting game ever.

Well, Byleth is in Smash Ultimate. Hate it or love it, they're in now. You ask me, I'm not nearly as upest with Byleth as some other folks are. Mainly becasue:

1. I like they're moveset
  2. I actually like the game they're from
  3. We've got six more fighters on the way

Still, the salt has been real. Real enough to the point where people are canning friendships over it (Belive me I know), and honestly I think some people are going overboard. Can it be argued that Byleth was a rather "meh" way to end this fighter's pass? Yes. Is this the "absolute worst possible thing to have ever happend to Smash Bros"? Hell no. Not even close.

Anyways, Byleth aside, six more fighters. Holy shit. I cannot believe we are actually getting six more fighters. I was expecting maybe at leas 3 or 4 more. But no, we're getting six. 

The ride is nowhere even close to being finished, and I fucking love it. 

And honestly, there's always a chance for more after those 6. This game's dlc sells like hot cakes.

I want Elma to be playable in this game so badly, but I don't think it's going to happen. She's already appears in the game as a spirit which at this point I think is a deconfirmation since some of the new spirits added to the game through the events are from high profile franchises like Resident Evil and Astral Chain. If either of those franchises were supposed to be given a spot on the main roster(like many have predicted), why wouldn't they save those spirits to be released as part of an associated challenger pack? I also don't think she's going to be an assist trophy since there's no historical precedent for it, there has never been a new assist trophy added to a Smash Bros game post launch before so why assume they'll start now? I hate to sound so pessimistic about a character I love from a game I love, but that's just my honest assessment of the situation.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I want Elma to be playable in this game so badly, but I don't think it's going to happen. She's already appears in the game as a spirit which at this point I think is a deconfirmation since some of the new spirits added to the game through the events are from high profile franchises like Resident Evil and Astral Chain. If either of those franchises were supposed to be given a spot on the main roster(like many have predicted), why wouldn't they save those spirits to be released as part of an associated challenger pack? I also don't think she's going to be an assist trophy since there's no historical precedent for it, there has never been a new assist trophy added to a Smash Bros game post launch before so why assume they'll start now? I hate to sound so pessimistic about a character I love from a game I love, but that's just my honest assessment of the situation.

Why assume they won't?

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why assume they won't?

My assumptions are based in the previously observed patters between previous releases. The Super Smash Bros. DLC has historically been fighters, stages, music, and Mii costumes ever since it was introduced in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate has not broken this trend. I'm not saying new Assist Trophies couldn't be DLC, but according to these past trends it's safer to assume that it won't happen.

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Just curious, wich is the worst addition according to you?

You mean in the current roster we have now or who could show up in the future?

4 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Both, or just the latter if you are fine whit everything we have right now.

Well, I guess if I had to say who was "the worst", I'd probably say I never really cared for Bowser Jr. Guy just doesn't interest me.

As far as potential newcomers go, I personally wouldn't want to see Tracer, any League of Legends character, or Jonesy.

By the way, just for clarification when I said that Byelth wasn't "the absolute worst possible thing" to happen to Smash, I meant than in a general sense, not just strictly speaking characters.

26 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ah, found it.

I knew I suggested Cuphead as a mii gunner at some point. It honestly looks better than it did in my head.

I've seen some hate for him being relegated to a Mii costume but frankly:

It's the best way to implement the character.

He doesn't deserve better (even if a Cuphead stage/soundtrack would be nice)

The Mii Gunner has more moveset variety than Cuphead himself.

8 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

About the new music

Are they all "originally" directly port from Three Houses? Or is there any remix?

The one in the trailer sounds like remix to me since it feels faster, but I am not too sure.

The only remix is the FETH main theme in English and Japanese, and the other songs are original.

After playing Tales of Vesperia again, I would totally like to see Yuri in smash, he has so much potential for a cool moveset. Part of this is personal bias since I think he's such a great character.

If DLC Assist Trophies were a thing in the Fighter’s Pass (as in one Assist Trophy per challenger pack), what Assist Trophies would you have liked to see? My choices are:

-Jack Frost (SMT/Persona): Runs around shooting ice at enemies, sometimes hanging from upside down.

-Golem (Dragon Quest): Slowly walks around and chucks boulders at opponents.

-Mumbo Jumbo (Banjo-Kazooie): Casts a spell that randomly transforms the player*.

-Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown): Fights opponents with her dagger and her trusted bird friend, Mamahaha.

-Hanneman (Fire Emblem: Three Houses): Teleports around the stage and casts Sagittae. He takes less damage from projectile attacks and is immune to magic attacks, but is relatively weak to physical attacks.

*The transformations are as follows:

-Giant

-Tiny

-Invincible

-Bunny

-Metal

-Bullet Bill

-Super Leaf

-Superspicy Curry

-Gold

Or he can just turn you into a washing machine, leaving you completely helpless until the transformation wears off in ten seconds or an opponent tosses you off.

By the way, apparently the 2nd fighter pass is also gonna have a new stage, music and spirits like the first pass, so judging by that, I don't think any character with so many spirits already in the game associated with them will get in. Rex has a chance since there's not too many Xeno 2 spirits, but characters like Dixie seem unlikely.

11 hours ago, Perkilator said:

If DLC Assist Trophies were a thing in the Fighter’s Pass (as in one Assist Trophy per challenger pack), what Assist Trophies would you have liked to see? My choices are:

-Jack Frost (SMT/Persona): Runs around shooting ice at enemies, sometimes hanging from upside down.

-Golem (Dragon Quest): Slowly walks around and chucks boulders at opponents.

-Mumbo Jumbo (Banjo-Kazooie): Casts a spell that randomly transforms the player*.

-Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown): Fights opponents with her dagger and her trusted bird friend, Mamahaha.

-Hanneman (Fire Emblem: Three Houses): Teleports around the stage and casts Sagittae. He takes less damage from projectile attacks and is immune to magic attacks, but is relatively weak to physical attacks.

*The transformations are as follows:

-Giant

-Tiny

-Invincible

-Bunny

-Metal

-Bullet Bill

-Super Leaf

-Superspicy Curry

-Gold

Or he can just turn you into a washing machine, leaving you completely helpless until the transformation wears off in ten seconds or an opponent tosses you off.

Persona: Futaba Sakura is perfect for an assist trophy. She practically functions as one in Persona 5.

Banjo Kazooie: Agree with Mumbo Jumbo

Dragon Quest: a full circus performance by Sylvando

Fire Emblem: Battalion - performs a gambit dependent on who used the AT. Pit and Link summon an archer volley. Zelda, Robin, Ganondorf and Hero summon mages for a lightning strike. Captain Falcon and the Star Fox crew summon a cavalry charge. The swordsmen summon an infantry charge. Etc.

29 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Persona: Futaba Sakura is perfect for an assist trophy. She practically functions as one in Persona 5.

Banjo Kazooie: Agree with Mumbo Jumbo

Fire Emblem: Battalion - performs a gambit dependent on who used the AT. Pit and Link summon an archer volley. Zelda, Robin, Ganondorf and Hero summon mages for a lightning strike. Captain Falcon and the Star Fox crew summon a cavalry charge. The swordsmen summon an infantry charge. Etc.

I like the idea of the same Assist Trophy acting in differently depending on the character using it. We already have the case with battering items to some small extent. Though I think Wyverns or Pegasus would be better for Star Fox characters.

Edited by Jotari

42 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Part of me is hoping you aren't serious about this. :facepalm:

Joking there, but honestly the part where Hero does that... dancing in the circus part scared me a bit. Or is that not what you mean?

On topic, I agree with Mumbo as an assist. But Jinjo could work as well, I think.

On SmashBoards, I saw a post about a leaker on Twitter who might be right about something:

Spoiler

They predicted that Byleth would be the one to end off the first Fighter’s Pass, and that Crash Bandicoot would be the first character in Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2

Here’s the link to the original post on SmashBoards. Click on the link in THAT post, and you’ll see what I mean.

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-bandicoot-returns-crashs-nitro-fueled-smash-thread.446452/page-62#post-23795884

Edited by Perkilator

If Crash gets in, Spyro should too imo. They both got their games remade and stuff and have even had their games share a GBA game cartridge before. I know, because I still have it. It was my brother's.

Just now, Anacybele said:

If Crash gets in, Spyro should too imo. They both got their games remade and stuff and have even had their games share a GBA game cartridge before. I know, because I still have it. It was my brother's.

I'm certainly backing Spyro. I always preferred his games. 

And with the Reignited Trilogy, I still love them... except for the flight courses.