Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Etheus said:

I'd be fine with Velvet. 

(So long as I don't have to acknowledge the sequel Tales of Zestiria as existing). 

I LIKED Tales of Zestiria.  ;/

Mechanics-wise, Sorey would have potential, too.  Downside is that he's a sword dude, and Smash has a bunch of them already.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

On the off-chance that Tales winds up in Smash, I'm nominating Velvet.  A little weapon variety won't hurt!

Velvet would be dope! But won't that go against the whole ''good boy and girls'' thing?

But yeah, i would've love her as a Tales rep., but more likely we will get Yuri, since vespy is on the switch and all. If we ever get a Tales rep., ofc.

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Velvet would be dope! But won't that go against the whole ''good boy and girls'' thing?

But yeah, i would've love her as a Tales rep., but more likely we will get Yuri, since vespy is on the switch and all.

The game already has villains, and then there's Bayonetta in terms of "games targeted at not-kids".  Unless you're talking about what Velvet is wearing?

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

I LIKED Tales of Zestiria.  ;/

Mechanics-wise, Sorey would have potential, too.  Downside is that he's a sword dude, and Smash has a bunch of them already.

Sorey would have potential. As a multi weapon user.

And that's cool. You do you. 40 hours in, I still disliked it. So I gave it away to a friend. Who also disliked it. 

I'm guessing the game is just a very much acquired taste or niche one. It's different from other Tales games in a lot of ways that may or may not resonate.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the subject of Tales... I'd probably be on a very minority opinion... but give us Cless Albein! The original protagonist!

Sure, but I think that really needs to accompany a full remake of the original games in the modern Tales style.

Which really, why haven't they done that!?

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Sure, but I think that really needs to accompany a full remake of the original games in the modern Tales style.

Which really, why haven't they done that!?

Does the PSP remake doesn't count as modern enough?

Personally, I don't think a remake would be needed just to add someone like Cless.

59 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Leif was the main character of the newest FE at the time, and Sakurai did want to include him. But he was encouraged to use the character from their upcoming game instead.

Sakurai has never stated interest in any judgral character for Smash. Only that he wished he included Marth in Smash 64 and got to rectify that for the sequel.

A few thoughts:

• Byleth's reveal trailer seems more like it was designed for a general Direct originally, but that said Direct (aimed for early or mid-January) was pushed back for some reason (which they would have known in November). A general Direct seems imminent (certainly something in February at the latest) regardless.
  • Byleth not being revealed at the Game Awards makes me think that if we don't see a reveal at the same event in 2020, it'll be another first party character on the horizon.
  • Three Houses didn't get random Spirits like Link's Awakening, Astral Chain, etc did, which sort of reinforces the idea that characters already in as Spirits are significantly less likely
  • I think Monster Hunter is practically assured at this point since there are no Spirits aside from Rathalos
  • I'm also inclined to think that games with graphic scary imagery are less likely as full characters, if only because Resident Evil is in as Spirits only, and all of which are normal humans instead of monsters

Yeah, Melee being a launch title for Gamecube did kinda undermine its potential. I think Nintendo would have been wise to release an updated Smash near the end of the Gamecube's life to improve the graphics, add some flourishes like intro animations, change up a few movesets, and of course add new fighters and stages from post-Melee titles. It could well have been Smash 3, and they could have released a Wii version as well.

there are simply too many characters i'd love to see as dlc in smash with this second fighters pass, some of them are 2B, Sora (yes, he is a possibility no matter what people say), Mark Evans from the Inazuma Eleven series, Rean or Estelle (Rean for marketability, Estelle for moveset originality) from the Trails series and Phoenix Wright

i'd also be fine with a Tales of character, maybe Lloyd or Luke (i like Luke better design-wise but i don't know almost anything about them as characters since i started their games and ended up hating the Tales of series)

i think one Gen 8 Pokemon, probably Urshifu or Rillaboom, is all but confirmed

also, we know that the 6 characters have already been decided, but we don't know WHO decided them, and most notably, sakurai didn't specify whether these fighters are all 100% original or if there's gonna be some echo fighters

i wonder if they implied the same rules of the first fighter pass aplly to the second one

I JUST NOTICED: byleth is fighter n.75

what comes after 75? 76, and what's 7+6? 13, as in "13 seekers of darkness"

Sora is fighter n.76 confirmed

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

But the real tragedy is Melee's release date. Imagine the game we might have gotten if Melee had an extra couple years in the oven. Not only would it be bigger, but most of the Gamecube's/GBA's iconic library came out after Melee.

Melee came out in 2001.

Fire Emblem Blazing Sword - 2003 (we could have had Hector or Lyn instead of Roy!)

Star Fox Adventures - 2002 (Krystal was relevant!)

Viewtiful Joe - 2003

Tales of Symphonia - 2003

Path of Radiance - 2005

Resident Evil 4 - 2005

When you think about it, the rushed development for a 2001 release was the worst time for Melee.

The chance of any of those getting in, beside Eliwood, not Lyn and Hector were slim at best considering they were yet in the "No third party" phase. Except maybe Crystal, but they only put Falco because it was easy.

My most six wanted are:

• Doomguy (Doom)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • 2B (Nier Automata)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Yuri (Tale of Vesperia)
  • KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)

However, I have a feeling that one of the six future fighters will be a Sword and Shield Pokemon. 

I want a mix of 1st and 3rd party characters in this pass, so my picks are:

1. Crash Bandicoot

2. Adeleine and Ribbon

3. Sora

4. Sirfetch’d

5. Ring Fit Adventurer

6. Arle Nadja

Edited by Perkilator

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Melee came out in 2001.

Fire Emblem Blazing Sword - 2003 (we could have had Hector or Lyn instead of Roy!)

Star Fox Adventures - 2002 (Krystal was relevant!)

Viewtiful Joe - 2003

Tales of Symphonia - 2003

Path of Radiance - 2005

Resident Evil 4 - 2005

Would Lyn have existed were it not for Melee giving a green light to the internationalization of FE? Her main purpose was to be the nice tutorial lady for newbies- namely Westerners.

VJ I recall made it into Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on the Wii, so he has actually been made into a fighter before. He'd be great brawler to this day with Slow and Mach Speed. Shame he is too dated to appear anywhere but a Capcom Vs. game nowadays and that VJ3 will never happen.

27 minutes ago, Roland said:

However, I have a feeling that one of the six future fighters will be a Sword and Shield Pokemon. 

If we get a Sword/Shield Pokemon, my preference would be Cinderace because awesome fire bunny and it's a starter (and those typically get priority consideration), but since we have two Fire type starters in already, I doubt this'll be the case. Yet another reason we should've gotten Decidueye over Incineroar. 😕

Anyway, I guess my new choice there would be Galarian Ponyta. It ended up being pretty much the most popular new Pokemon! And I absolutely LOVE it! And the only quadrupedal playable character right now is Ivysaur too, so Ponyta would be pretty unique.

So I think I have six wanted characters for this DLC pack now! Though I doubt many would make it at all.

1. Galarian Ponyta (Pokemon Sword/Shield)
2. Vaati (The Legend of Zelda)
3. Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
4. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
5. Rayman (Rayman series)
6. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

If we get a Sword/Shield Pokemon, my preference would be Cinderace because awesome fire bunny and it's a starter (and those typically get priority consideration), but since we have two Fire type starters in already, I doubt this'll be the case. Yet another reason we should've gotten Decidueye over Incineroar. 😕

Anyway, I guess my new choice there would be Galarian Ponyta. It ended up being pretty much the most popular new Pokemon! And I absolutely LOVE it! And the only quadrupedal playable character right now is Ivysaur too, so Ponyta would be pretty unique.

I'd rather not get a Gen 8 Pokemon at all, but since Byleth has now opened the door to that possibility, it could very well happen.

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I agree! I'd also dig Rillaboom or Wooloo, even though I also picked Scorbunny.

7 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

I agree! I'd also dig Rillaboom or Wooloo, even though I also picked Scorbunny.

I don't really care for Rillaboom, personally. Wooloo is kinda cute tho.

So, I'm hearing now that Sakurai is getting harrassed/threatened again, this time over Byleth. Please tell me this is not true. Because...just...what the fuck. If this is the case, what in the flying fuck is wrong with people?! Didn't anyone learn from the Waluigi fiasco?

I hope I'm not starting anything bad here...