Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an ad for Fire Emblem Warriors 2.

"Fine! we'll have ALL the smash bros characters this time!"

If they wanted to sell ME on the game it'd be an 8 player smash between Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud, and Simon. This isn't some kiddy nintendo fighting game anymore.

Starting on December 14th, having save data for Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee will automatically give you a Partner Pikachu or a Partner Eevee spirit, respectively. They can also be obtained through the Spirit Board.

(this tweet doesn't mention the date, but the Japanese tweet does)

More importantly, this shows that Spirits can be added for free post-release. At least, I think they aren't in the base game... And since there are still six days to go so I can post the Zekenator counting down for the loyal Xenoblade fans.

30 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Starting on December 14th, having save data for Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee will automatically give you a Partner Pikachu or a Partner Eevee spirit, respectively. They can also be obtained through the Spirit Board.

(this tweet doesn't mention the date, but the Japanese tweet does)

More importantly, this shows that Spirits can be added for free post-release. At least, I think they aren't in the base game... And since there are still six days to go so I can post the Zekenator counting down for the loyal Xenoblade fans.

Legit makes me want to buy one of those two games when I had absolutely no interest before. Damn you effective marketing if trivial things.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Legit makes me want to buy one of those two games when I had absolutely no interest before. Damn you effective marketing if trivial things.

Buying the games isn't the only way to unlock these spirits, since you can also get them through means, but I'm not in any position to tell you what games to get.

Though it's a shame that Pikachu was deconfirmed as a playable character after this spirit was announced, I was really hoping he would come back.

Edited by Lightchao42

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Buying the games isn't the only way to unlock these spirits, since you can also get them through means, but I'm not in any position to tell you what games to get.

Though it's a shame that Pikachu was deconfirmed as a playable character after this spirit was announced, I was really hoping he would come back.

If you look closely you'll see the spirit is of male Pikachu, meaning there's still a chance heart tail female Pikachu can be playable (it's more popular with the young female teen audience in Japan). Obviously detective Pikachu will be an echo.

5 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

The tweet itself says that the Pikachu and Eevee spirits can also be unlocked by completing challenges.

7 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

The tweet itself says that the Pikachu and Eevee spirits can also be unlocked by completing challenges.

I know that, since I mentioned that owning LGP and LGE isn't the only way of getting these spirits. Is this in response to me saying that they'll be added post release? Because the translation of the Japanese tweet does suggest they'll be added on December 14th, though the tweet I posted above doesn't mention it.

13 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

It's not "Pikachu", it's "Partner Pikachu". The same way how all the individual yoga poses were their own trophies in Smash 4 and how there's stuff like a "Kaptain K. Rool" spirit but no equippable straight-up K. Rool spirit. Or how there's individually powered-up forms of Mario as Spirits but no just "Mario" one that can be equipped. 

Slight datamine spoilers:

Of note is that Piranha Plant, one of the most prolific and generic enemies in the Mario series, doesn't have an equippable spirit.

14 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sucks, I know. But at least if you get the game at launch you'll be able to play as Pikachu for a week before the spirit arrives and deconfirms it.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:18 PM, Glennstavos said:

Looks like an ad for Fire Emblem Warriors 2.

"Fine! we'll have ALL the smash bros characters this time!"

If they wanted to sell ME on the game it'd be an 8 player smash between Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud, and Simon. This isn't some kiddy nintendo fighting game anymore.

Halfway covered.

DtgEbR9VYAAh4ec.jpg

And yes, I know you're being ironic.

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

My copy is shipping from Best Buy now. I can't wait!

Good for you! Easily the best part about preorders is knowing that it's on its way. I'm planing to go to the store and picking it up in person myself, I just hope it doesn't immediately sell out everywhere. I'm not expecting that to be the situation, but I don't think it's impossible, especially now that I live in a big city.

On 02/12/2018 at 12:59 PM, The DanMan said:

It's not "Pikachu", it's "Partner Pikachu". The same way how all the individual yoga poses were their own trophies in Smash 4 and how there's stuff like a "Kaptain K. Rool" spirit but no equippable straight-up K. Rool spirit. Or how there's individually powered-up forms of Mario as Spirits but no just "Mario" one that can be equipped. 

Slight datamine spoilers:

Hide contents

Of note is that Piranha Plant, one of the most prolific and generic enemies in the Mario series, doesn't have an equippable spirit.

As in there’s no variation of Piranha Plant spirit?

I’m trying to keep myself spoiler free, but this is something I’m curious about.

Could answer with the least spoilers possible?

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

As in there’s no variation of Piranha Plant spirit?

I’m trying to keep myself spoiler free, but this is something I’m curious about.

Could answer with the least spoilers possible?

Spoiler

Yes to your first question. There was no spirit(s) of Piranha Plant found in the base game.

24 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

Yes to your first question. There was no spirit(s) of Piranha Plant found in the base game.

I actually meant to say if there are spirits associated with Piranha Plants such as Petey Piranha and Ptooey. But it is also interesting that there is no “standard” Piranha Plant spirit.

14 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually meant to say if there are spirits associated with Piranha Plants such as Petey Piranha and Ptooey. But it is also interesting that there is no “standard” Piranha Plant spirit.

Spoiler

Petey has two, one of which is him in his gear from Mario Strikers Charged. Off the top of my head, there’s also a spirit for Nipper Plant IIRC.

37 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

Petey has two, one of which is him in his gear from Mario Strikers Charged. Off the top of my head, there’s also a spirit for Nipper Plant IIRC.

I see, I guess my theory was wrong then.

Thanks for the help though!

Less than 24 hours untilthe release of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate foe the Nintendo Switch

or, as I like to call it, SmUsh.

Unfortunately, I myself won’t be able to really play it yntil Monday at the latest, as I have my job as first priority. Nonetheless, I’m very excited, and it’s hard not to want to call in and go ahead to the hour-early release at my local store.

Ah, just learned that I'll be able to pick up my physical copy at a midnight launch event - at 9 PM my time. Well, I was gonna sit and watch the game awards all the way through, but heck yeah I'll step out. I thought I had to wait until the morning of Dec 7th.

Was hoping to have all my assignments finished before Smash, but alas, I still have one paper left. Does feel nice to have so little to worry about while I binge this game though.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Ah, just learned that I'll be able to pick up my physical copy at a midnight launch event - at 9 PM my time. Well, I was gonna sit and watch the game awards all the way through, but heck yeah I'll step out. I thought I had to wait until the morning of Dec 7th.

Was hoping to have all my assignments finished before Smash, but alas, I still have one paper left. Does feel nice to have so little to worry about while I binge this game though.

Why would you binge with only one paper to go? Essay writing is fun!

14 hours ago, Etheus said:

My copy is shipping from Best Buy now. I can't wait!

I might end up receiving my copy today too if the mailman does his job. However since all those selfish parents are hogging the mail service to get Dutch Christmas gifts for their kids It will probably arrive tommorow.